Posted at 10:43 AM ET, 05/26/2009

Evangeline Lilly -- the Next Angelina Jolie? (Doubtful)

By Liz Kelly

Evangelina Evangeline Lilly arrives at the Cannes screening of 'Looking for Eric' on May 18. (Reuters)

Evangeline Lilly, who is likely only known to fans who have watched the overacting little imp ham her way through the past five seasons of "Lost" as pouty Kate Austen, says she's not a big movie star by choice.

I couldn't possibly sum up Lilly's self-absorbed delusional over-estimation of herself better she does. In the June issue of Women's Health, Lilly says:

"[The 'Lost' producers] have seen that I haven't picked up on the opportunity to become a big movie star. It frustrates [them] that they've given me this chance to become the next Angelia Jolie ... Sure, I'd love to be her, but just the humanitarian side."

Ahahahahahhaa. And we thought she'd hit maximum self importance when she said in 2007 that she almost left "Lost" because she was sick of being famous.

In Lilly's defense, the one-time missionary does say she plans to quit acting and focus on humanitarian work once "Lost" ends its six season run in 2010. And, based on the footage below -- from Lilly's pre-"Lost" days as a Canadian singles chatline pitchwoman -- that may be her greatest humanitarian act of all:

-- Lilly's Women's Health photo shoot.
-- 'Lost' Central

By Liz Kelly  | May 26, 2009; 10:43 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Lost
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mike Tyson's Daughter on Life Support; Mel Gibson Confirms He's Expecting with Girlfriend
Next: Mike Tyson's Daughter Dies; T.I. Begins Prison Sentence

Comments

I'm just a lowly Celebritologist and I wouldn't for a minute claim any expertise on the inside business of television production.

But everything I've been led to believe over the years would indicate to me that the only thing the producers of "Lost" care about is the success of "Lost." They could care less if any of their actors or actresses become movie stars.

Although I'm sure they're simply sick at heart that Hugo Reyes has not become a bigger break-out star.

Posted by: mdreader01 | May 26, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Ok, I'm going to need tissues, a paper bag and maybe mouth to mouth, stat. I'm laughing so hard I'm sure I will cry, hyperventilate and pass out in short order.

Evie, you've had seconds of brilliance among 5 seasons of running around the jungle in tank tops. Kudos for the humanitarian effort, my dear, but Angelina you are not.

Posted by: eet7e | May 26, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I am no expert on scheduling, but I thought that if one was on a show, the producers didn't like it if you left for long periods of filming. (i.e., you could film something like "Sabertooth" in a weekend, but not be gone for a multi-month project.) If she thinks that the producers want her to be a film star, she might want to consider that they just want her off the island.

(The way to confirm that is if she receives a set of keys for a new car and a bottle of rum all at once. That's the time to start polishing the resume'.)

Posted by: CentrevilleMom | May 26, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Lilly, get lost.

Posted by: kabuki3 | May 26, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

All I'm flashing on is an exchange on an "Angel" episode during Season 5...

Wesley Wyndam-Pryce: She still thinks she's the god-king of the universe.
Charles Gunn: So she's like a TV star.
Wesley Wyndam-Pryce: No. Nothing that bad.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | May 26, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Glad she qualified that Angelina Jolie comment. Humanitarian: good. Self-important, overly tattooed, anorexic, blood-wearing, attention-seeking, homewrecking, child collecting whackadoodle: not so much.

Posted by: Californian11 | May 26, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one that thinks the dress she is wearing makes her bum look like the size of Nebraska? Kind of like her ego?

She is a very thin women, so I am confused.

Posted by: Iowahoosier | May 26, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Iowahoosier:

That dress/accessories/hair/makeup combo has been addressed as a "ooooh, so close" kinda thing.

The Go Fug Yourselves girls cover it nicely - it has open comments so don't scroll down too far if you're at work.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | May 26, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I think that smack is still echoing, Liz. I mean, dang, *I'm* sore from it.

Posted by: chumbucket | May 26, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Couldn't have said it better, Californian11.

Posted by: Trumance1 | May 26, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

What is she considers the kid-collecting part of the humanitarian job? I mean half of them do come from third world countries.

So, she could still be a whackdoodle kid collecting humanitarian. I don't want to know about any tatts, thank you very much.

Posted by: epjd | May 26, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Focus, people, focus. We are harshing on Evangeline Lilly, not Angie. We have plenty of opportunity to harsh on Angie in the regular chat. Besides, she was so young when she did the blood thing.

If Evangeline puts that big a target out there (either the dress or the comments) we have no choice but to smack on it.

Personally I never paid much attention to her butt (which I guess is the point), but I think Sawyer summed it up best when he called her "Freckles." I really can't add to that, and nothing she's said makes me want to.

Posted by: reddragon1 | May 26, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Anyone wanna snark on Lilly's high ponytail? Is it the Next Big Thing in hairstyles? Sandy Bullock's taking grief online this week for sporting one in her upcoming film, where she plays a business executive:

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | May 26, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Iowahoosier - I have a dress with a similar back to it that I often wear to weddings. I always look fat in the resulting pictures. Now I can console myself that even Evangeline Lily would too and go find another dress!

Posted by: Roxie1 | May 26, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

That whole ponytail thing just smacks of "dirty hair syndrome" or just pure laziness.

Ladies, we've all done it at least once, if not more, in our lives. We're in a hurry, no time for the proper cleansing rituals so we grab a ponytail holder (some still grab scrunchies but that's for another time & snark) & just grab all the hair & put it up.

Now Evangline should have the time & money to get her hair done for any red carpet event. That 'do just looks lazy & boring & maybe even dirty.

Posted by: wadejg | May 26, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

"[The 'Lost' producers] have seen that I haven't picked up on the opportunity to become a big movie star."

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, television series notoriety does not equal film stardom. Consider:

Exhibit A: David Caruso. How many of you saw "Jade" -- show of hands?
Exhibit B: David Schwimmer. "The Pallbearer" -- who can summarize for me?
Exhibit C: Shelly Long, "Brady Bunch" aside. "Troop Beverly Hills." Anyone?

The prosecution rests.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | May 26, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

On the ponytail:

If you have enough hair to pull off a formal, REALLY well-groomed ponytail, it is anything but lazy. You have to tame your hair and groom it so it stays sleek above the binding and coherent below it - even while you're moving - without looking dirty or greasy.

See Halle Berry at the 2005 Emmmys:

A dressier ponytail shouldn't be high - very few women can carry that off. But a sleek ponytail that runs down the back takes a fair amount of work.

However, Evangeline Lilly's ponytail here just looks sloppy. You are not on the LOST set, honey. Groom, groom, groom.

And if you're up in arms about Sandra Bullock's hair in a romantic comedy - a film genre rarely aligned with real life - then I don't know what to tell you. I'd be more upset at how easy it apparently is to befuddle INS.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | May 26, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Evangeline Lilly has a nicer derriere than Angelina Jolie. Maybe her next role will be as Mary Jo Buttafuoco.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | May 26, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Ouch.

Better retract those claws, girl. You might hurt someone.

Bad hair day? The guy at Starbucks get your order wrong this morning? Or are you just mad that Barry nominated Sonia instead of you for Supreme Court Justice?

Cut her some slack . . . you only have one more year of Evie to go . . . then she'll fade silently into the sunset. . . although, I SO see her as the post-millennium Gidget . . .

Posted by: pfallsgirl | May 27, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Liz, you need to get over your girl crush on Angelina. You bear your fangs the minute anyone has the temerity to compare themselves to her. Angelina ain't all that. She's just a skinny starlet good at stealing husbands/boyfriends (see Aniston, J. and Dern, L.), adopting kids like accessories, and generally walking around like a humorless drone.
Why you gotta be hatin' on Evangeline's honesty. The people around her probably do think she should get more involved in the business. Fine for her if she doesn't want that.

Posted by: caroleg1 | May 27, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

I also don't understand all the venom by Liz and the posters. Evangeline is no different than any of the other young attractive actresses who have been lucky enough to land on a tv show or movie that becomes a hit. In fact she is more commendable then most of the celebs worshiped on this site. I haven't read any stories about Evangeline using drugs, getting arrested, breaking up marriages, or reuniting with the man who beats her. I think people are just jealous

Posted by: buffysummers | May 27, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

While I do think perhaps Liz was a wee bit too harsh, I gotta say Evangeline Lilly is lumped into the same category as Katherine Heigl (and more recently, Jessica Biel) for me.

Pretty girl/former model with acceptable acting talent hits it big on network TV, only to gripe about how famous they now are and how they really wish they weren't famous.

I realize that as a lowly average person, I can't begin to understand the cr@p that's gotta come along with becoming famous quickly. The press/paparazzi attention, the gossip, the rumors, the parsing of everything you say in public - I know I'd probably go postal fairly quickly.

But c'mon - if you really didn't want to be famous, there are always plenty of other jobs available to you than acting. Cash the healthy checks - even if half of it is agent fees and taxes, you're still netting in one year more than most people earn in 20 - smile, accept the accolades and just fade away.

But do not publicly b*tch about how hard it is to be you. There are many other people with MUCH harder lives who just don't want to hear how hard it is to be a successful, outrageously attractive person.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | May 27, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse