Posted at 10:45 AM ET, 05/20/2009

Fashion Victim? Drew Barrymore's Retro Rage

By Liz Kelly

I'm a big Drew Barrymore fan and usually on board with her fashion forward aesthetic. But lately Drew has gone to a place where I am not willing to follow: back to the '80s. But a somehow heightened draggish '80s in which tights are trippy and sunglasses are outsized, eye shadow is intergalactic and this color is somehow okay.

Last night, Barrymore wore the get-up below to Game 1 of the NBA basketball Western Conference finals between the Los Angeles Lakers and the Denver Nuggets. I'm not sure which bit is the most disturbing, so I'm asking for your help.

Drew at last night's L.A. Lakers game. (Images: Getty, Reuters)

By Liz Kelly  | May 20, 2009; 10:45 AM ET
Categories:  Fashion, Insta-Polls
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sarah Jessica Parker Says Surrogate Threatened; Rep Debunks Swayze Death Rumor
Next: Spencer Pratt Releases Rap Single; Simon Cowell's Ex Attacked After 'Idol' Finale

Comments

One small quibble, Liz: I think the shade that you hyperlinked to "this color" is lovely. Maybe it doesn't look good on you, but it does on some of us (note: my coloring is somewhat different from yours). In fact, when I was about 10 my mother made me a "best party dress" in exactly that shade, which I loved!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | May 20, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Clearly Drew is angling for a role in "The Angie Dickinson Story."

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | May 20, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Clearly, the Denver Nuggets are more disturbing than the LA Lakers.

Posted by: reddragon1 | May 20, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

td,

Actually Drew can play anyone she wants. Although I gotta admit, she's no Jessica Biel.

Posted by: reddragon1 | May 20, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

She kinda looks like the blond version of one of my late aunts who was very cute and the life of the party in the 60's/70's era. Which of course included lots of men, booze and qualuuds...

Posted by: plamar1031 | May 20, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Looks like Drew is getting her fashion style from Mrs. Roper.

Posted by: MStreet1 | May 20, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

How does she not choke with that thing around her neck? Must weigh several pounds. But hey, can double as a weapon if she is chased by the paps.

Posted by: hodie | May 20, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

My biggest problem with this look is the overprocessed-blonde-with-roots hair. Other than that, the necklace is silly, but overall her look isn't horrible.

The one look from the '80s that I never want to see again are the women's suits with wide-receiver shoulder pads.

Posted by: northgs | May 20, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

You have to ask? The necklace, by far. What is that green thing on the chain. Looks like a drape pull.

Posted by: DCCubefarm | May 20, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

I like the sandals she has on in the scary tights pic. The rest of those outfits gotta go though.

Posted by: wadejg | May 20, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Drew is getting her fashion style from Mrs. Roper.

Posted by: MStreet1 | May 20, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

LOL! There does seem to be a "Golden Girls" kinda thing going on with Drew.

Posted by: jezebel3 | May 20, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

The shoes, jewelry and hair in that pic have got to go, but I actually like the dress, particularly the teal color. Guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

As for her hair, there's nothing wrong there a good deep conditioner couldn't fix.

Posted by: Californian11 | May 20, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

While I wouldn't use under eye blue eyeliner, I think she looks fine, 'cept for the hair. Alberto VO5 Hot Oil Treatment! Stat!

Posted by: jelo97 | May 20, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Drew is getting her fashion style from Mrs. Roper.
Posted by: MStreet1 | May 20, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

As a guy I like to dress more like Mr. Furley myself. Maybe Drew and I can get together?

Posted by: Iowahoosier | May 20, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Drew is angling to replace Jenna Maroney in the Jackie Jormp-Jomp bio-pic.

Posted by: yellojkt | May 20, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

She looks like she walked off the set of Bottle Shock... Or that she wandered in from Santa Cruz, CA, my hometown. She'd fit in perfectly there!

Posted by: Centava2007 | May 20, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone else reminded of early Madonna?

Posted by: mskidd | May 20, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

I don't think she looks any more "80s" here than she did in The Wedding Singer. I lived the 80s. We did not dress like that.

The drapey dress and the wacky amulets are, as another poster already said, Mrs. Roper circa mid to late 70s.

Posted by: Sam888 | May 21, 2009 7:22 AM | Report abuse

I love me some Drew, but she looks as if she just woke up, had forgotten to remove her eye makeup before her nap, didn't bother to change clothes, and said, hey, the Lakers are playing? Cool, I'm good to go!

There's a reason for the mirrors in the bathroom, Drew.

Posted by: jlessl | May 21, 2009 7:41 AM | Report abuse