Posted at 11:32 AM ET, 05/15/2009

From Cougars to Cruise: Hollywood's Ageless Love

By Liz Kelly

Intergenerational sweethearts Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher. (Reuters)

The latest dish making its way through the rumor mill is word that Natalie Portman, 27, and Sean Penn, 48, may be dating (although the reality may only be that the two were spotted within 20 yards of each other by an enterprising gossip spouter).

So (ignoring the fact that there could be some infidelity involved) would it be so wrong for the two -- whose ages differ by more than two decades -- to strike up a romance?

Below a look at how some other age-defying couples have fared:

Demi Moore (46) and Ashton Kutcher (31)
Age Difference: 15 years
Status: Married and Twitteringly happy.

Tom Cruise (46) and Katie Holmes (30)
Difference in age: 16 years
Status: Rumors have circulated lately claiming Holmes may be seeking a separation, but the two appear to be happy and united in love for daughter Suri.

Francesca Annis (64) and Ralph Fiennes (46)
Difference in age: 18 years
Status: Split in 2006 after an 11-year relationship.

Jerry Seinfeld (55) and Jessica Seinfeld (37)
Difference in age: 18 years
Status: Happily married. Yada, yada, yada.

Barbara Hershey (61) and Naveen Andrews (40)
Difference in age: 21 years
Status: On, then off, then on again. While off, Andrews fathered a child with another woman.

Warren Beatty (72) and Annette Bening (50)
Difference in age: 22 years
Status: Happily married. Looks like Bening has had a calming effect on the one-time playboy.

Harrison Ford (66) and Calista Flockhart (44)
Difference in age: 22 years
Status: Engaged and rumored to be considering adoption.

Donald Trump (62) and Melania Knauss (39)
Difference in age: 23 years
Status: Married, but Melania may want to watch out for Miss California Carrie Prejean.

Michael Douglas (64) and Catherine Zeta-Jones (39)
Difference in age: 25 years
Status: Happily married.

Paul McCartney (66) and Heather Mills (41)
Difference in age: 25 years
Status: So over.

Woody Allen (73) and Soon-Yi Previn (38)
Difference in age: 35 years
Status: Allen drew a storm of criticism for courting, then marrying, his one-time stepdaughter.

Hugh Hefner (83) and a series of random 20-something Playboy bunnies
Difference in age: 60+ years
Status: Pathetic at this point.

By Liz Kelly  | May 15, 2009; 11:32 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lindsay Lohan Lands an Acting Gig; Oprah Apologizes to James Frey
Next: Brooke Shields Says Tabloid Reporter Checked Mom Out of Nursing Home

Comments

Just for a change of pace...Mick Jagger and Dame Judi Dench, with apologies to Joel McHale.

Posted by: yeawhatever | May 15, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

How could any man in his right mind (OK, a possible qualifier there) married to Robin Wright consider anyone else? No offense to Natalie Portman (though. i. find. her. acting. wooden.), but Sean, buddy, come ON. Buttercup is a total babe.

And I never realized before that Woody and Soon Yi are 35 years apart. Ick. Nast. I'm kinda skeeved out by some others also. I'd think any difference 20+ is pushing it.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | May 15, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Got another one for you:
Hodie's Dad 78
Hodie's Stepmom 59
Age difference 19 years
Status- met online and happily married for 15 years.

Posted by: hodie | May 15, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Naveen Andrews could do so much better

Posted by: mcleve | May 15, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

If I were still dating, my rule would be no one 20 years old than I am because that's how much older MY parents happen to be.

I always thought that Woody & Soon Yi were icky to begin with because of that whole step-father/step-daughter thing, but now seeing the age difference down in black & white....pass the eye/mind bleach.

Posted by: wadejg | May 15, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

i've known couples who were less than a year apart in age but were seemingly born in different decades, and i've known couples who were 10 years apart that could have been identical twins. If it works for them - go for it

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | May 15, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

quintilius

Remember how some people thought Barbara Bush was George H.W.'s mother, when in fact she's a year younger.

Increasingly wide age differences: Larry King and a succession of brides. Maybe this was the REAL reason Carrie Prejean canceled out of his show.

Anna Nicole Smith and that filthy rich 89-year-old Texan; I think their age difference was over 60 years.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | May 15, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins (ca. 13 years age difference, I think)

Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell (only ca. 7 years)

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | May 15, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

this was a wonderful Friday full of billable hours. Then I read this list. EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. Ick nast. I don't care if they last or not, go hide somewhere so we don't have to be squicked out watching grandpa/grandma maul the young'ins.

Posted by: epjd | May 15, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

ep, sweetie, a couple decades from now you're gonna look in the mirror one day and wonder how all your junk managed to migrate south. The brief answer is, gravity. The alternatives are even worse: major surgery, or dying young.

I AM glad to hear about you getting those billable hours (hope you don't have to save up the money for cosmetic surgery someday, however, cuz there's lots more useful or enjoyable things to do with the dough).

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | May 15, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Nosy, that is why age appropriate is so much better. His eyesight won't notice that gravity hit. Cheaper than cosmetic surgery.

Saving up dough for other things. I have a website search for my screenname except substitute "law" for "jd."

Posted by: epjd | May 15, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: epjd | May 15, 2009 3:02 PM

-------------------------------------------
Only if he has no eyesight.

Chronological age difference doesn't matter so much as the age difference between the partners' inner children, or rather, the ability of the more mature partner to find humor in the inner child of the other partner.

Ask Ms Snatchquatch (12 calendar years younger, 20 emotional years older) about this.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | May 15, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

sasquatchbigfoot, is that you, Weingarten?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | May 15, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Most of these couples... whatever. If they're happy, good for them. Hef and the Bunnies - I guess the pay's decent, and they're of age. Same with Trump and King and their arm candy. It's not how I'd choose to earn a living, but it's not my life. Woody and Soon-Yi, however, are the gold standard of Ick. Nast.

Posted by: northgs | May 15, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Already about 2930 hits on "Ick. Nast" Is nothing sacred? Maybe Mudge (or Island linguist Mouse, if she ever returns) could see if any Lizardisms are still unique to us.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | May 15, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

hodie, how would you have felt if stepmom were 19 years older than your dad instead? Now she'd be 98.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | May 15, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

sasquatchbigfoot, is that you, Weingarten?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | May 15, 2009 3:39 PM
---------------------------------------------
Nope.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | May 15, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Naveen Andrews could do so much better

Posted by: mcleve | May 15, 2009 12:36 PM

Just curious if this is due to his success on Lost? I didn't know who he was before. He and Barbara have been on/off/on for a very very long time.

What about Nicholas Cage and his wife? Big age difference right?

I don't really have an issue with older/younger relationships. As long as the younger is old enough. I have a number of friends and family who are married to people 10 plus years older or younger than them.

Oh, but to answer Liz's question: It's not the age but the fact that Sean Penn seems a bit off to me. And some what unstable what with the divorce, not divorce ,divorce business. And his sons might be at the age where they would have a Hollywood crush on Natalie.

Posted by: Vienna8425 | May 15, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

OK, Nosy. Made me look. I also like the fact that Google lets you:

* Create an email alert for Ick-Nast
* Add a custom section for Ick-Nast to Google News
* Add a news gadget for Ick-Nast to your Google homepage
* Subscribe to a news feed for Ick-Nast in Google Reader

FYI: A Google NEWS search for Ick. Nast lowers the results count to 43.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | May 15, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Nosy,
My father's second wife was 10yrs older than he. Age had nothing to do with why we hated her. She was the real evil stepmother. And they divorced because SHE cheated on him. Luckily, 3rd time is the charm. For the record, wife #1 (my mom) was 7yrs younger than my dad, died many yrs ago.

Posted by: hodie | May 15, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Hodie, your father and stepmother may be the Adam and Eve on Net dating. The net didn't go commercial until 1995.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | May 15, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

td, you are as geeky as I am!

hodie, Sorry about your first stepmom. None of you deserved that. Good riddance to bad rubbish, I say!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | May 15, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Are you sure Sas? I remember sitting at the computer on the internet when I was preggers with my first son who is going on 17. Let's ask Al Gore.

Thanks, Nosy.

Posted by: hodie | May 15, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Hodie, what domain or access service were you using? Until 1995, the only way to get to the internet was through a .gov, .mil, or .edu domain. The main backbone for non-military users until 1995 was NSFNet, strictly non-commercial. Commercial dial-up service such as AOL, CompuServe, and Prodigy used their own closed networks prior to turnover of NFSNet in 1995.

This was the era of such strange net search applications as Gopher, Veronica and Jughead. This was when Marc Andreesen was leading the development of the first web browser, MOSAIC, at the National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA), located at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

Gawd, I feel old.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | May 15, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Sas, not only are you old, but also incredibly nerdy.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | May 15, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

The daughter of my officemate just graduated from college last weekend. Now that she's home and working this summer, her mom was telling another coworker and me about her new attitude -- that of a 10-year-old, "I want this, I want it right now, I deserve it all, all me, all the time." When I started snickering, the other coworker asked me "Oh, you have a little kid at home too? How old?" I immediately whipped out a picture of Sasquatch.

Like he said earlier, according to the calendar I'm 12 years younger than he is. But why do I feel like such a cougar?

Posted by: mssnatchquatch | May 15, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

I would love to be a fly on the wall if ever byoolin and Sas had a double date with their respective better halves. I'm pretty sure it would be hilarious.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | May 15, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

'Squatch, I was an AOL-er back in the day and I seem to recall them having a rather robust online dating scene.

The chat scene was off the hook and where our beloved Liz got her start!

Posted by: mdreader01 | May 15, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

I dunno, Dorkus - The Lovely Mrs. byoolin hates eating at any restaurant where there are flies.

Posted by: byoolin1 | May 16, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

byoolin, I suspect cryptids tend to attract flies.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | May 16, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

To bookend this, shouldn't you have added Bruce Willis and his new bride who are 20 something years apart -- more than Demi and Ashton?

People still make such a big deal about age, particularly if the woman is the one who is older, and it's silly.

Posted by: msame | May 16, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Natalie Portman is saying that these rumors are false and I believe her. She is a lady and far too intelligent to want a fool like Sean Penn!!

Posted by: elewis29 | May 16, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

warren beatty is pushing 80.

what's slowed him down is old age.

Posted by: newagent99 | May 18, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Me: 60. My wife: 67. 30 years.

Posted by: kabuki3 | May 18, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse