Posted at 8:30 AM ET, 05/ 4/2009

Madonna Adoption Case Heads to Malawi Court; Crawford's Husband Sued for Sexual Harassment

By Liz Kelly

Brooke Shields arrives at Saturday's running of the Kentucky Derby in Louisville, Ky. (AP)
Monday

Headlines: Malawi court hears Madonna adoption case, biological father surfaces... Amy Winehouse treated for dehydration in St. Lucia... Maggie Gyllenhaal and Peter Sarsgaard wed in Italy... Dennis Rodman begins outpatient rehab program... Pageant paid for Miss California's breast augmentation... Former "Idol" winner David Cook's brother dies of cancer... Cindy Crawford's husband sued for sexual harassment... Scarlett Johansson's directorial debut dumped from movie... Jay Leno's hospitalization was for exhaustion.

Pix: Halle Berry shoos the paparazzi... Beyonce wears oversized jewelled metal corset on stage.

Crime Watch: Comedian Robert Schimmel arrested for alleged domestic violence... Stage-storming fan arrested at Britney Spears concert.

Rumor Mill: David Hasselhoff hospitalized with alcohol poisoining. (Hoff's rep says story is exaggerated)... Rep says Pink bisexuality admission was fabricated... Swine flu derails Heidi Klum and Seal's planned Mexico wedding renewal ceremony... Susan Boyle headed to reality TV... Rihanna dating childhood sweetheart?... Lauren Conrad dating "My Boys" co-star Kyle Howard?... John Mayer dumps new girlfriend for going public... Beyonce to play Eartha Kitt?

By Liz Kelly  | May 4, 2009; 8:30 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matthew McConaughey's Forgotten Film, 'Tiptoes,' Surfaces Online
Next: Mel Gibson, from A-Lister to Train Wreck in Three Short Years

Comments

Beyonce - give it up. Not saying you don't have a nice voice and I admire the fact you don't starve yourself to toothpick thin.

You could do Diana Ross, you could even do Etta James in a pinch. You could never be Eartha Kitt unless they dub you (and we know that's not gonna happen). Radically different singing styles, radically different entertainers. Ms. Kitt could do more with a raised eyebrow and vocal phrase than most.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | May 4, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

You'd never have caught Cindy's previous husband hassling women like that. Gerbils maybe, but not women.

Hoff needs to learn from Winehouse that the technical term is 'dehydration.'

How much did Brooke's show pay off?

Posted by: yellojkt | May 4, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Brooke... you're not 18. Dont dress like you are. My ex used to do this, but unlike with her I'm allowed to tell you that you should stop.

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | May 4, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Brooke! Have some dignity, woman! It's bad enough that the dress is a little short, but why are you wearing a blue pop-up dorm hamper on your head?!

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | May 4, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

I was thinking the outfit Brooke sported to the Kentucky Derby was the result of a bet she lost. She usually looks pretty good.

Posted by: jes11 | May 4, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Um....I think Brooke let your two young daughters dress her. Maybe in their dress up clothes. What is up with that!! I had to read the caption twice to make sure I read the name right. Good lord!

Posted by: Vienna8425 | May 4, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

From the look on her face, I think Brooke knows how bad this looks. Maybe she showed up hat-less, and they plopped that thing on her head like the extra sports coats fancy restaurants keep on hand for the underdressed.

Posted by: MidwestTransplant | May 4, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

*Brooke must have lost a bet. The whole outfit is atrocious.
-------
*Miss Berry is not happy.

Posted by: pras40 | May 4, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

I actually like Brooke's dress. It's the blue gauze-covered frisbee on her head that looks ridiculous.

yellowjkt sets the bar high with the Hoff/Winehouse comment!

I thought all of Trump's apprentice's eventually went into rehab.

I have one question for Beyonce. Why??

New member to the Anne Heche club: Pink. (with regards to reddragon)

Oh No! Heidi and Seal are renewing wedding vows. You know what that means...

And finally, Condolences to David Cook and family.

Posted by: hodie | May 4, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Madonna is missing a business opportunity: think of how many other missing fathers she could locate if only she'd announce every week or two that she's thinking of adopting another orphaned child.

Posted by: byoolin1 | May 4, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Hoff needs to learn from Winehouse that the technical term is 'dehydration.'

Posted by: yellojkt | May 4, 2009 9:02 AM

==

They both need to learn from Leno. Exhaustion. It covers up a multitude of ailments.

"John Mayer dumps new girlfriend for going public.."
==
I think we have found a gal even more pathetic than the guy who is only known for having once dated Lindsay Lohan.

Posted by: mdreader01 | May 4, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

I understand that wearing silly hats is part of the Kentucky Derby tradition but Brooke's hat is ridiculous. I think she looks great in the dress.

Posted by: buffysummers | May 4, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Brooke, I've heard of outlandish jockey silks, but this......

....Let me guess: SJP made this outfit mandatory for anyone who intended to be her jockey in the Derby.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | May 4, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

If Miss Hawaiian Tropic had tweeted the news of involvement instead of having disclosed it in an interview, no doubt John Mayer would have been fine with it. The Medium is the Message. Marshall McLuhan, we tweet you!

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | May 4, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Peter Sarsgaard, w/beard, looks a bit like Gabby Hayes.

Posted by: memphis1 | May 4, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I, too, am having a hard time with Brooke's outfit. The dress is totally wrong for her, she would've been better off with a Pretty Woman style polka-dot dress. And that hat, is it just me, or are there clear plastic things hanging from it? My guess is that it's supposed to be like a raincloud on her head.

Other than that, I got nothing. Boo rainy monday mornings!

Posted by: eet7e | May 4, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

miss california proves what i've thought all along:

those pageants *are* all about "the girls."

Posted by: memphis1 | May 4, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

brooke looks like she's trying to be 18 again.

as for the hat.... if someone slapped that on my head, i'd be waiting for the hidden camera to reveal itself.

Posted by: memphis1 | May 4, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

You want to know what looks more ridiculous than this hat? Nothing.

And she was a member of the Cap and Gown Club at Princeton. Not Pricetown, Princeton.

"It balances on your head just like a mattress on a bottle of wine"
Bob Dylan, Leopard Skin Pillbox Hat

Posted by: kabuki3 | May 4, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Wow, didn't realize how tough the years had been to Dennis Rodman until I saw the photo with that story.

Look at the bright side, at least he didn't show up at the Kentucky Derby in Brooke's dress and hat combo . . .

Posted by: 44west | May 4, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I don't think you guys do understand the tradition of the Kentucky Derby. All of the women show up in crazy hats. There is a horse track only 15 miles from my house and yesterday they had a derby party. All of the women showed up in frilly dresses and crazy hats, just like all of the women who attended the Derby did.
Brooke looks fantastic as usual. A women who attended the Derby and did not where an unusual hat would look out of place.

Posted by: Iowahoosier | May 4, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Wear an unusal hat, not where. Sorry

Posted by: Iowahoosier | May 4, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Bummer about the cancelled renewal of vows. I'd heard Seal was going to sing, "Kiss from a Swine":

To me you're like a flu pandemic that I can't deny.
Won't you tell me is that healthy, baby?
But when you cough,
With your mask off,
My eyes become large and the germs that you spread enter me. Baby....

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | May 4, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

The funky hat is great for horse-racing, where funky hats reign, but doesn't go with the outfit. The outfit is too ... weird. Childish on the bottom and sexy on the top?

Dehydration, huh. That's what they're calling it?

Heidi Klum and Seal on the rocks already? Dang, I always thought they were pretty cute together, despite their propensity for reproducing at frequent intervals.

What is it with models and husbands who sexually harass? First Christie, now Cindy? And to quote Paul Newman, why go out for hamburger when you have steak at home?

Posted by: Californian11 | May 4, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Iowahoosier,
It's not so much the craziness of the hat... it's the total lack of coordination with the rest of the outfit.

I've been to a few derbies. People usually try to get their hat to somewhat match their outfit.

Posted by: memphis1 | May 4, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

So what are we calling Maggie & Peter ... Gyllengaard? Saarshaal?

Posted by: Californian11 | May 4, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

In the current economic climate, Brooke is repurposing. It's her daughter's first communion dress turned backwards, with a frisbee/hamper hat.

Posted by: kirstenpaulson | May 4, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I hope Brooke didn't actually spend any money on that "hat." Even a turban would have looked better.

Why didn't she wear a hat that complements the dress?

Posted by: doobrah | May 4, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Tough call on the name for Maggie and Peter--unlike Heincer they deserve a cool sounding one, don't you think?

Brooke is a beautiful woman but that entire outfit is a train wreck. Just terrible. The only way to get away with that plunging neckline is to make the skirt much longer. The bow in front is childish and a weird contrast to the sexiness of the neckline. The sandals are ugly. And the hat has already come in for well-deserved derision.

John Mayer is a stank. End of story.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | May 4, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Iowahoosier:

If you're from the DC area and reading this blog you are either from Maryland (home of the Preakness), Virginia (home of drink-fests/steeplechase events like the Gold Cup http://www.vagoldcup.com/) or DC and have probably gone to at least one horse race with someone you know from Maryland or Virginia. We KNOW about hats and horse racing.

Hell, out here in Wisconsin (when I threw a Kentucky Derby party - I wanted to show them all sports parties are not tailgates at Lambeau Field), even despite my neighbors not really knowing much about horse racing or the Triple Crown, all the women called to ask if THEY needed hats. People understand the concept, trust me. (I told them they didn't need hats - if nothing else, you just cant get good ones out here ;) )

That is just a tragic, tragic hat perched on the top of Brooke Shields' head. It is a waste of millinery skill and supply.

That pretty white dress would have looked awesome with a hat that is white, black, pastel, or some great combination thereof. And it probably would have looked better with a slightly more modest neckline or removal of the bow - the vamp neckline and the sweetheart bow just don't work together...

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | May 4, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Oh hey - the Fug Girls covered hats.

They also covered Brooke and her after party outfit...just as bad...

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | May 4, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Ack, meant to post the following on this page.

Breaking: NBC unveils fall sked, decision on 'Chuck' delayed:

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | May 4, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kabuki3 | May 4, 2009 11:02 AM
==========
PRINCEton? Shouldn't the hat have been purple?

Nice Dylan quote.

Here's another one:

“Her hat is a creation that will never go out of style; it will just look ridiculous year after year.”
Fred Allen

Posted by: mdreader01 | May 4, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Chasmosaur1 - I think you summed it up quite nicely.

The more I look at the picture the more I think "What in the world did she do to herself". The dress, the hat, the shoes....gah!

Posted by: Vienna8425 | May 4, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

No comment on Brooke Shields. Any woman not in Army greens looks good right now.

Wait, John Mayer and Jennifer Anniston are over, I am so out of the loop.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | May 4, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Ok, a small correction to my above statement. Some females can make the Amy greens look good. I love a woman in uniform.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | May 4, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

DORKUS!!! Good to see your sign-in and snark again!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | May 4, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

I go to the Derby every year. The point is to wear a beautiful hat, not a silly one. I have never seen the silhouette of Brooke's in a hat before. It's ridic.

If Halle Berry is shooing away the paparazzi for taking pictures of her daughter then why post those pictures??! Don't you have any respect for her?

Posted by: msame | May 5, 2009 8:16 AM | Report abuse