Posted at 8:41 AM ET, 05/ 5/2009

Rihanna Cancels Comeback Concert; Eminem Opens Up About Drug Use

By Liz Kelly
Tuesday

Headlines: Rihanna cancels Dubai comeback concert... Eminem opens up about his past pill habit...Supreme Court orders reexamination of Janet Jackson's wardrobe malfunction... Jenny McCarthy inks talk show deal with Oprah... Malawi court adjourns Madonna adoption case indefinitely... Woody Allen tries to block Mia Farrow from testifying in advertising dispute...George Clooney says Cindy Crawford's husband did not sexually harass employees... Octomom violating California state child labor laws?... Stars to descend on D.C. for Saturday's White House Correspondents Dinner... Paula Abdul plans to release new single... Former housekeeper says Victoria Principal pulled a gun on her... Car crash on set of new Nicolas Cage movie sends two bystanders to hospital... Robert Duvall fights to keep Wal-Mart from Virginia Civil War site.

Pix: Madonna's ragged Costume Institute Gala look (More gala pix | And even more)... Jessica Simpson's June Vanity Fair cover... Julia Roberts's tattoo... Mischa Barton's overpriced headband line.

Video: Better video of fan surprising Britney Spears on stage (fast forward to 2:20)...

Rumor Mill: Does admitted memoir fabricator James Frey have Oprah admission on tape?

Say What?
"Probably the sexiest woman I know is my mother," he says. "She's an ethereal angel. Nobody looks like that woman. If I could meet my mother and marry her, I would. I would be with my mother now, if she weren't my mother, as sick as that sounds." -- Shia LaBeouf, who must really be looking forward to Mother's Day.

By Liz Kelly  | May 5, 2009; 8:41 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mel Gibson, from A-Lister to Train Wreck in Three Short Years
Next: Boob Job Doesn't Sink Miss California's Platform, Says Anti-Gay Marriage Group

Comments

"Eminem opens up about his past pill habit" -- Before methadone, they used to call him Stout Shady.

"Supreme Court orders reexamination of Janet Jackson's wardrobe malfunction" -- Hey, can you zoom in on the tape? I'm trying to see what that thing is there. Is it a sunburst? Appliqué? Justice Ginsberg, you're a woman; help us out here.

"Paula Abdul plans to release new single" -- Don't rush, rush on our account there, Paul. Be a cold-hearted snake and reconsider.

"Former housekeeper says Victoria Principal pulled a gun on her" -- Case of mistaken identity, surely. My money's on Sue Ellen.

""Probably the sexiest woman I know is my mother" -- TMI, TransformerBoy. T.M.I.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | May 5, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Shia LaBeouf must be angling for the lead in the new production of Oedipus Rex.

Posted by: MStreet1 | May 5, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

To Shia: Yo, Casta, carm down!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | May 5, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

jelo is deeply unhappy that the WaPo has "lost" her original registration, and must now be known as jelo97. WTF WaPo?

Now--someone needs to tell Mischa that we got this recession goin' on, and NO ONE is going to purchase a $130 headband.

BritBrit looked fairly unsettled by that drunk fan.

Posted by: jelo97 | May 5, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Julia Roberts's tramp stamp reveals too much about how her children were conceived.

Posted by: MStreet1 | May 5, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I may be a little sensitive cause of the whole unemployment thing, but I'm completely disgusted by Mischa Barton's new line of headbands. In the immortal words of Seth & Amy: "Really?! Mischa?! Really?!"

Posted by: StuckatWork | May 5, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Wow, Supreme Court, you must really not have anything better to do. Time to start planning a retirement party.

For huffingtonpost's best and worst photos, I don't really agree with many of the "worsts." I kind of like Mary Kate's lacy off shoulder dress, but not a big fan of Ashley's bedsheet. I love Blake Lively's dress, even though she looks like she tore an oblique in the first picture.

James Frey, how passive aggressive of you! I really hope that you do have those tapes and that you decide to release them. Oprah needs to be taken down a bit. Though I'm sure she'll manipulate it so that it'll be a feature on her show.

Wow, Shia is about to go blind!

Posted by: eet7e | May 5, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Regarding Julia's tramp stamp, who knew that pretty women was a biography?

Posted by: Iowahoosier | May 5, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Madonna really should go back to the tomboy look from the "Fame" audition tape that was featured here a few days ago. I realize it's a costume gala, but her top half looks like Joan Crawford (well, except for the arms) and her bottom half looks like Sir Walter Raleigh.

Posted by: 44west | May 5, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

"American Apparel ... will make Allen's relationships with Farrow and Previn a focus ... to show that Allen's image is no longer worth the $10 million he believes his billboard appearance merits."

As if using Woody's image in advertising isn't bad enough, let's find a reason to drag Mia out of mothballs. I've decided to boycott American Apparel and I don't even know who they are. Echoing yesterday's Mel Gibson discussion, while I like Woody's movies, I am not a fan of him personally. But I side with Woody here.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | May 5, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

I saw headbands like Mischa's (but cheaper) at Anthropologie the other day and decided I should make up a few for my niece for her birthday. With a couple of little pieces of nice fabric and a glue gun, anyone could probably swing it.

Posted by: sarahabc | May 5, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

And thanks to the magic of Facebook, I now give you:

* * * * * * * *
BREAKING NEWS FROM DORKUS MAXIMUS:
"I'm still in South Carolina. It's the last week of Basic and I graduate on Friday. Amazingly they have let us have our phones this week, so I've been able to read some Celebritology. Tell all the gang I said hi."
* * * * * * * *

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | May 5, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Yay Dorkus!!! FYI Dorkus-Austin is gettin' hot and humidy and yucky--just like S.Carolina!

Posted by: jelo97 | May 5, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Did it really take a Supreme Court order to get someone to relook at that Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunction?

Oprah is giving Jenny McCarthy her own talk show??? I give it two shows tops, maybe 3 if Jim comes on to make faces.

Octomom violating child labor laws. I was wondering what those 8 little hard hats were for...

Madonna shows what a good mother she can be by letting Rocco and David do her hair.

Leighton Meester (what's a Leighton Meester--I thought it was a new local brew), appears to be trying out for the position of court fool.

Mary Kate Olsen's dress could be pretty, but her hair and make-up make her look as though she was going for "serving wench".

Those Olsen twins always look as though they are playing dress-up in their mother's closet.

Speaking of Mothers, Holy Bat Guano, Shia! Now we know what's wrong with you.

Posted by: hodie | May 5, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

td, Dorkus actually posted last night on yesterday's Morning Mix. Pretty soon we'll be able to take down the virtual yellow ribbons from the old oak trees on LIzard Island!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | May 5, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

BREAKING NEWS FROM DORKUS MAXIMUS:
* * * * * * * *

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | May 5, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Maxi,

Have a virtual cool one on me after graduation.

Posted by: jezebel3 | May 5, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Td- remind Dorkus not to lock his knees when in parade formation at graduation! There is always one or two who will do that and pass out in the heat. Congrats Dorkus!

Posted by: hodie | May 5, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Nosy; I missed last night's Dorkus posts. hodie, if Dorkus posts today we'll consider your message received, otherwise I'll send him any comments via FB tonight (can't login here at work).

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | May 5, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Robert Duvall - while I'm not a WalMart fan, are you going to knock down the Sheetz already on the property? Or also work on banning the mixed use retail/office/residential project planned to be adjacent to the Walmart?

Like I said, not a Walmart fan (similarly not a fan of useless construction). But where were all the protesters when the land was zoned commercial by Orange County? If it wasn't a Walmart, would the protests have been so loud or so celebrity-friendly?

I swear, Virginia can be so f'd up about its Civil War locations.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | May 5, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Hi Dorkus!!!!! /wave
Um, we may need you back here sooner rather than later- Shia LaBeouf appears to be channeling the more unsavory aspects of classical literature. And Madonna is guest-starring as the Sybilline prophet (she receives her visions through the antenna hidden in her hat).

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | May 5, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

god but i wish brit was wearing a live mic instead of that inert piece of microphone-shaped plastic - she really did freak out there...

brit - you're supposed to be an american cop - if the guy looks at you funny you're supposed to tase him.

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | May 5, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

I know we're supposed to snark on Britney but that was unnerving to see.
The "fan" got awfully close to her and I don't blame her one bit for clearly stumbling through the rest of the performance.
----
From here on out, I'll be pronouncing his name Shia LeBeewwwf.
-----
Skimming over the Mix, I read, "Paula Abdul plans to release a new single, Victoria Principal pulled a gun on her."

Posted by: pras40 | May 5, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Personally, I think Shia is farging highlarious.

Posted by: otherliz | May 5, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

To Shia: Yo, Casta, carm down!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker

****

Nosy, I wish I knew what the Greek word for "Sploot!" was.

Posted by: byoolin1 | May 5, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Really, Supreme Court? You really couldn't find a better use of your time than worry about a NINE-SIXTEENTHS OF A SECOND view of one of Janet Jackson's nipples?

Don't worry, Victoria Principal: when it's all over, it will just feel like it was a bad dream.

"Car crash on set of new Nicolas Cage movie sends two bystanders to hospital..." That's the kind of luck I'll hope for if I find myself standing in line for that movie.

Awkward moments from Shia LeBoeuf's childhood, chapter 5 ("The Teenage Years"):

SHIA'S FRIEND BOBBY: Dude, your mom's HOT.

SHIA: I know. She gives me "le boeuf," if
you know what I mean, heh-heh.

BOBBY: Duuuuude.

Posted by: byoolin1 | May 5, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Is there some kind of secret pact among some fashion designers that they use these galas to try and make celebs look as ridiculous as possible?

I can picture them sitting around a poker table drinking and one says, "You know, next week I'm gonna put Madonna in the a getup that's so f-ing outlandish...You guys ain't gonna be able to come close."

"Oh, yeah? Well wait til you see what I've got planned for Leighton Meester! I got your outlandish getup right here!"

Really.

Posted by: memphis1 | May 5, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Really. it's

Posted by: memphis1 | May 5, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Really. it's the only way I can sleep at night.

Posted by: memphis1 | May 5, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Octomom has no sense, but Attorney Gloria Allred is getting to be even worse. She's making Octomom's situation all about: Gloria!

Gloria represents a charity that offers Octomom free nannies? Gloria has a nonprofit for children - so she has a right to oversee Octomom's decisions? Gloria wants the babies to be paid for their "work", thus a 3rd party must be appointed to collect their earnings so Octomom doesn't touch the money? So who does Gloria suggest be that 3rd party? Hmmmm...perhaps that selfless and amazing attorney: Gloria Allred!

Her behavior is getting creepy.

Posted by: Amelia5 | May 5, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

byoolin, How come Shia spells his last name LaBeouf instead of LeBoeuf (or LeBœuf)?

How to spell sploot in Greek? Maybe sigma-pi-lambda-upsilon-tau?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | May 5, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Amelia

Actually, Amelia, laws were passed re this back in the early days of Hollywood, after child star Jackie Coogan was ruthlessly exploited by his father (I think). Gloria Allred, especially being such a public figure, isn't in this for the money (more likely for raising her already high profile). Sorcerer's_cat can likely expand upon this when she arrives.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | May 5, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Correction: It was not Coogan's father, but rather his mother and stepfather who exploited him.

Background from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Coogan

As a child star, Coogan earned as much as $4 million, but the money was taken by his mother, Lilian, and stepfather, Arthur Bernstein, for extravagances such as fur coats, diamonds, and cars. He sued them in 1935, but after legal expenses, he only received $126,000. When Coogan fell on hard times, Chaplin gave him some financial support.

The legal battle did, however, bring attention to child actors and resulted in the state of California enacting the California Child Actor's Bill, sometimes known as the Coogan Bill or the Coogan Act. This requires that the child's employer set aside 15% of the child's earnings in a trust, and codifies such issues as schooling, work hours and time-off. Jackie's mother and stepfather attempted to soften the situation by pointing out that the child was having fun and thought he was playing. However, virtually every child star from Baby Peggy on has stated that they were keenly aware that what they were doing was work.

See also, The California Child Actor's Bill (Coogan Act, Coogan Bill):

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | May 5, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Okay, I get that Gloria Allred wants to protect the babies from being exploited. She wants them to have something to support themselves when being the Octuplets is no longer a draw. We have all discussed the Dionne Quintuplets (wow, 5 seems so passe now). But, gee, Gloria, there are others out there who might be less emotionally involved in this case, you know. I think you are conflicted out.

Britney was just jealous that someone else had unlimited access to alchol.

Posted by: epjd | May 5, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Ew, ew, ew. Shia Le Oedipus, get thee to a therapist. Pronto.

So I saw Megan Fox on some entertainment news show last night, and I have no idea who she is or why she's famous but she is most definitely trying to be Angelina Jolie. The whole look, the tattoos everywhere, posing nearly nude, trying to be shocking ... and the latest and greatest, "bisexual revelations". Next up, adopting oodles of kids from foreign countries?

Posted by: Californian11 | May 5, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

And with this: "She gives me 'le boeuf,' if you know what I mean, heh-heh," once again byoolin makes me fall off my chair in hysterics. Duuuuude.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | May 5, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Ok, ewww, I've gotta say Julia's tramp stamp with the names of her children is pretty tacky but also super weird.

"Mommy loves you so much she put your names on her a**."

Plus, after three kids it's time to put away the bikini.

Posted by: msame | May 5, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Memo to Jessica Simpson: why keep the story alive? If you took the high road and ignored it, it wouldn't BE a story!

Posted by: Californian11 | May 5, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

It's Mother's Day, a bit early, on Celebritology...

For his mom, Eminem now feels compassion.
Julia marks mom-hood in body ink fashion.
Jenny McCartney is looking to cash in.
Mercy's found daddy is Madonna trashin'.
While Gloria gives Nadya a thorough tongue lashin'.
And Shia LaBeof feels inappropriate passion.

Posted by: mdreader01 | May 5, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Dom DeLuise passed away. I has a sad.

Posted by: epjd | May 5, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Paula Abdul's new single, "I'm Just Here For The Music" was co-written by Danielle Brisebois. How cool is that. The little girl from Archie Bunker's Place is all grown up and writing songs for P.A.

I remember being surprised when I saw her as one of the New Radicals in the "You Get What You Give" video. She seems to be doing well for herself: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danielle_Brisebois

So I'm going to reconsider my prior comment and hope the song does well -- for little Stephanie's sake (if not necessarily for Paula's).

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | May 5, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Oh. my. god. Shia, you sick puppy. Rhapsodize on how beautiful your mom is, but "sexy" and marriage and .... oh man, get thee to a shrink, boyo.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | May 5, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I just looked at those Costume Institute gala photos. Anna Wintour looks like a cardboard cutout with a dishrag draped over its head - could she have found a frock that better deemphasized whatever bust she might have? - and Heidi Klum looks like Ursula from "The Little Mermaid." I know she's pregnant, but there have to be better choices than that. Now Gisele Bundchen and Tom Brady... ohmygod. I honestly don't know who's hotter.

Posted by: northgs | May 5, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

I agree northgs--what a superstar couple.

I love this "training film" with Tom Brady:

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | May 5, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we're all just misunderstanding Shia LaBeouf. He's just living his life on Tin Pan Alley...

I wanna gal just like the gal that married dear old Dad
Now she was a pal, and the only gal that Daddy ever had
A sweet old fashioned gal with eyes so blue
One that loves nobody else but you
Yessir, I need a gal just like the gal that married dear old Dad

Posted by: mdreader01 | May 5, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: northgs | May 5, 2009 4:28 PM
=========
But don't you love how Madonna recycled what was left of Brooke Shields' Kentucky Derby hat?

Posted by: mdreader01 | May 5, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Paula Abdul releasing a new single!? Can I keep hiding in the Army?

And Shia has now mananged to make Woody Allen seem less skeevy. Good on you.

hodie, td I never lock my knees, but it is funny to watch it happen to others.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | May 5, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse