Posted at 7:39 AM ET, 05/ 1/2009

Zac Efron, Tina Fey on Time's Most Influential List; Tyra Stalker Found Guilty

By Liz Kelly
Friday

Headlines: Zac Efron, Tina Fey among list of Time's 100 Most Influential... Madonna adoption bid criticized by girl's biological father... Lisa Rinna claims her family survived swine flu... Early Susan Boyle singing footage surfaces... Miss California to appear in anti-gay marriage ad... Kelis files for divorce from Nas... Hayden Panettiere auditions for "Footloose" remake.

Pix and Video: Radio station sends world's worst Beyonce imposter to Austrian museum... Brad Pitt and sumo wrestler film Japanese cell phone ad... Kirstie Alley reveals new weight gain to Oprah... Halle Berry's new bob...

Madonna's "Fame" audition, circa 1982:

(extended version)

Crime Watch: Tyra Banks stalker found guilty... Court gives Redmond O'Neal a chance at rehab... Sam Lutfi appeals three-year Britney Spears restraining order.

Rumor Mill: Britney Spears asks London hotel to install stripper pole in her suite... Madonna to let sons stay with Guy Ritchie for summer..

Say What?
"It's embarrassing being known for that. I'd like to be known for stuff I've created or things I've done. I don't want to be known for that. No way." -- One-time Lindsay Lohan suitor Harry Morton.

"I have very little good to say about the movie because it's just so offensive." -- Gary Coleman on his new movie, "Midgets & Mascots."

By Liz Kelly  | May 1, 2009; 7:39 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 'Lost' Dueling Analysis: 'The Variable'
Next: Matthew McConaughey's Forgotten Film, 'Tiptoes,' Surfaces Online

Comments

Liz, you've *got* to add the People Magazine pic of Speidi strolling the beach while wearing face masks to your "pix and vid" section: http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20275943,00.html

...So classy!

Posted by: celt-grrrl | May 1, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

I can understand the inclusion of Zac Efron and Tina Fey (and kinda-sorta Penelope Cruz) on Time's list, but L'il Wayne? Can someone please explain?

Lisa Rinna, is this the best explanation you could come up with for your ever-increasing lips?

Does Britney understand that "London, England" is a real place and not a theme hotel on the Vegas Strip?

Miss California, you ditched the Special Olympics for the National Organization for Marriage - classy. Your 15 minutes is up, now go away. (Oh, and you're horse-face ugly, too.)

Posted by: northgs | May 1, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Helt celt-grrrl, check out yesterday's morning mix - the pix ar in there.

Can anyone explain why Lufti would appeal the restraining order? Why does he want to get back to Britney so badly? He won't be able to get to the money with her Dad in charge, and Jamie is probably not going to let him drug Brit up anymore either, so what's the scheme?

Posted by: VaLGaL | May 1, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Zac Efron & Tina Fey? Either Time is *really* flailing around in its quest to identify "influential" people, or there just aren't any Hitler-quality "Man Of The Year" types around any more.

"Lisa Rinna claims her family survived swine flu... " NOW I know where I've seen a snout like hers before!

Miss California's anti-gay marriage ad is a great example of what can go wrong when you ask half-wits what they "think" about something.

I'm shocked at the Britney Spears story: what kind of reputable London hotel doesn't already have stripper poles in its suites?

Gary Coleman, you had me at "so offensive."

Posted by: byoolin1 | May 1, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

It seems that thanks to the great humanitarian efforts of Lisa Rinna, we've discovered the swine flu vaccine: collagen. Who knew? We should thank Lisa for taking one for the team.

Harry Morton, you are known for things you've done. It's just that "things" in this case is an anorexic Oompa-Loompa.

Posted by: ASinMoCo | May 1, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Also, I have to wonder if the placement of the Kirstie Alley story immediately after the Brad Pitt and sumo wrestler story was deliberate. If so, well done, Liz. Well done.

Posted by: ASinMoCo | May 1, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

I find Lisa Rinna's claims of swine flu survival to be strangely offensive. Way beyond the pale of ordinary faux-leb pandering, her attempts to effect an "aww--poor Lisa's family", make me wanna barf.

Kirstie--you never get to take a break from the weight management. You'll always have to work at it. The sooner you get it, the sooner you won't have to self-eviscerate on Oprah. Good luck.

I'm no huge Madge supporter, but I doubt Mercy's father would have come forward if not for the publicity. I feel for the kid.

What is a Zac Efron?

Posted by: jelo | May 1, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

*In her search for relevance, Lisa Rinna has now added claiming her family survived swine flu to her resume of Playboy posings, wearing a sandwich board begging for work, and freakish plastic surgery. What does Harry Hamlin see in her?

*As they tell you in therapy, Kirstie Alley, you have to do the work to create change, and you never stop working. I feel for her. All that up and down weight gain is tough on the heart.

*Halle Berry looks fab, as usual.

Posted by: pras40 | May 1, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

What about the rumors that Miss California is to be a stand-in for SJP in the next chapter or SITC? Or is this a horse of a different color?

I can't imagine how Time magazine could have left the Austrian Beyonce impersonator off their Top 100 Influential list. And just in time for der fuehrer's birthday, no less.....

Halle Barry's has great boobs. Why does she need a new one? Oh, it's a new bob.....never mind........

CARNAC [holding envelope against forrehead]: Lisa Rinna, Kirstie Allie and a Sumo Wrestler.

ED MCMAHON: Lisa Rinna, Kirstie Allie and a Sumo Wrestler. HA-HA!

CARNAC[giving dirty look to Ed]: May your next career move be that of a Beyonce impersonator.

ED MCMAHON: [puzzled]: I've never heard of Beyonce. Is he related to Elvis?

CARNAC [opens envelope; reads paper inside]: Who are the cast of the the upcoming summer blockbuster movie, The Three Little Pigs?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | May 1, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

And Britney, your request for a stripper pole will not endear you to your male back-up dancers, each of whom you have personally assured has a pole tall enough to dance from.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | May 1, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I had mentally read an additional 'o' into the Hallie Berry item and was very disappointed.

Posted by: yellojkt | May 1, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

I'm glad that clip was labeled Madonna, because I was wondering what Leonardo DiCaprio was auditioning for now.

Posted by: yellojkt | May 1, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Ok - since you seem to have missed this...

"MARBLECAKE ALSO THE GAME" is spelled out in the 'most influential' by votes...

Tina Fey starts with a T - that's what qualified her.

Essentially - the Time magazine web folks were either idiots or they simply didnt want to invoke the wrath of 4chan. For the details on the hack http://musicmachinery.com/2009/04/15/inside-the-precision-hack/

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | May 1, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Ok it is official, I now have a massive girl crush on Halle Berry. She's ridiculouly beautiful, makes adorable babies, has a truly hot partner and she got to be Storm and hang with Wolverine... Ok - I take it back I hate her, no no wait, I want to BE her...

I am so confused. Either way, Friday love to the Swayze...

Posted by: LTL1 | May 1, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I've given up on the Time 100 list. I find it depressing who they find influential (because they are usually right).

Per Madonna's audition - Madge, note how pretty your face looked when you weren't skeletal ('80's haircut aside).

Per Madonna's truce - Gee, what a surprise. Now that the divorce is finalized and everyone has some space, a divorcing couple can recognize the better parts of the people they fell in love with in the first place. Duh.

Per Kirstie Alley - okay, I feel better about my Rubenesque figure. My weight loss is a lot slower than hers, but what I'm taking off I'm keeping off. Guess you didn't pay attention to changes in lifestyle Jenny Craig may have tried to instill, you just took the check.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | May 1, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Miss California to appear in anti-gay marriage ad.

Before following the same path, she should study what this career move did for former beauty queen Anita Bryant (who?). Miss California's prospects are even slimmer because at least Anita could sing well, and the American public was far more anti-gay back then.

Miss California to appear in anti-gay marriage ad.

Miss California and DC Mayor-for-Life Marion Barry: talk about an odd couple destined to appeal to the hearts and minds of the anti-same-sex-marriage religious right. Like, is Hizzoner's record of adultery is enhanced in their eyes because his playmates were all of the opposite sex?

Miss California to appear in anti-gay marriage ad.

Ticked off cuz your new implants don't excite gay men, honey?

Kirstie Alley reveals new weight gain to Oprah.

You'd think $cientolocult would have a cure for weight gain, cuz it could gain (as it were) lots of converts and bring in tons (as it were) of additional money.

Brad Pitt and sumo wrestler film Japanese cell phone ad.

One of the fun things about traveling abroad is getting to see American celebs who would never deign to do a commercial in their homeland shilling for products elsewhere. Like they think we won't find out?

Early Susan Boyle singing footage surfaces: "Gerry McGuinness, 61, who recorded her performance at Motherwell FC's Fir Park Social Club, said he was struck by Boyle's youthful good looks when he re-watched the tape following the church volunteer's rise to fame."

Yeah, gettin' old's a b!tch. Though the alternative's worse. I'm just glad that Susan's finally getting the opportunity she deserves to pursue her dream, no matter how late, and that she gets to make the most of it.

Lisa Rinna claims her family survived swine flu.

Most people do, fortunately, not that it's fun.

Liz, you missed one: "Ab Fab" Joanna Lumley, who was born in India where her father was a British officer who commanded Gurkhas, has helped lead the successful campaign to overturn PM Gordon Brown's refusal to allow Gurkha veterans who so desire to settle in the UK:

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | May 1, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

AsInMoCo, I have noticed Liz's excellent juxtaposition of items before. It is interesting to note the subtle intellectual treatment of what is essentially trivia.

As usual, TIME's list of the 100 anything has some baffling entries.

I'm sorry, for Footloose, I just don't see Hayden Panetierre in the Kevin Bacon role.

So is Harry Morton sorry because he didn't know LiLo was famous when he dated her?

What team is Gary Coleman the mascot for?

Posted by: reddragon1 | May 1, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I'm so saddened that even as I become aware that people exist in the world named "Kelis" & Nas", they are in the process of breaking up.

Posted by: bobsewell | May 1, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Clarification: PM Brown wanted to allow only certain Gurkha vets into the UK, not any and all who want to settle there.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | May 1, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Best word: faux-leb. Bravo, jelo!!

LOVE Halle Berry's hair. I've always thought short hair looks so much better on her than long.

Britney Spears is just SO gross. That is all.

Posted by: Californian11 | May 1, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Just who does Zac Efron influence other than tween girls?

Actually Hayden might be a good choice for that Footloose roll as she can't get hurt when she car surfs.

Good luck, Kirstie. And yes it has to be a lifestyle change. No one should be expected to live on Jenny Craig meals. Yucko.

Posted by: hodie | May 1, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

So sad about Kirstie's inability to keep the weight off. She is such a beautiful woman--I still remember the first time I saw her in "North and South" a million years ago and just went "wow"--those gray blue eyes and dark hair and lovely bone structure. I thought she was going to become a big star. I guess I was right, but not in the success sense.

Way to be classy, Britney.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | May 1, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Lisa Rinna -- so have plenty of other families. No one living in the United States has died from it. Get over yourself.

Ms. California -- you go girl. This is America, you are allowed to stand up for your beliefs. And the state you represented just rejected gay marriage at the ballot box, plus the President of the US opposes gay marriage.

Times 100 List -- I get tina Fey (I don't like her, but I get how influential she is). But Zac Efron??????? Really????? In two years we will be going "Who is he again?" when he is arrested in some sleazy event.

Posted by: epjd | May 1, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

What team is Gary Coleman the mascot for?

Posted by: reddragon1 | May 1, 2009 10:34 AM
---------------------------------------------

The Taco Bell Wrestling Team.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | May 1, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Which comedian stated that he believes gays should be permitted to marry so that they, too, can experience matrimonial disappointment?

I'm thinking Ron White, but I'm not certain.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | May 1, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Halle Berry has hair? Guess that is not what I was focusing on.

Hayden Panetierre is old enough to what? Be Shawn Johnson's big sister?

Why do we always assume that celebs will be arrested in a sleazy event? Couldn't it be a noble event, such as a PETA demonstration against the use of the term "Swine Flu," because it gives pigs a dirty name?

Based on past history (is there any other kind?) I guess not.

Posted by: reddragon1 | May 1, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Maggie Gallagher, president of the National Organization for Marriage, said,

"Carrie Prejean does not have an opportunistic agenda. She's a young woman of courage who chose truth over the Miss USA tiara."

Now, pageants tend to make me sleepy, so I must have completely dozed off during the part where she gave the crown to Miss North Carolina because she was so offended by Perez Hilton's question.

Posted by: mdreader01 | May 1, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Harry Morton, it could be worse. You could be Blake Fielder-Civil. Imagine how stupid HE feels.

Posted by: mdreader01 | May 1, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Oh, gross Sas. Now I'm stuck with the image of Gary Coleman and taco wrestling. Pass the brain bleach.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | May 1, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | May 1, 2009 2:44 PM
--------------------------------------------
I think we could all get behind Miss California -- take that as you wish -- if she advocated a ban against Gary Coleman wrestling tacos.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | May 1, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

"Ms. California -- you go girl. This is America, you are allowed to stand up for your beliefs."

Who claimed she wasn't?

The best part of America is the fact that those of us who believe that she's a vapid idiot are allowed to stand up for our beliefs too.

Posted by: VTDuffman | May 1, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Also, can Hayden Panettiere sing at all?

She wouldn't be good for the lead female role, but she would be good for the "freind" role, IMHO.

Posted by: VTDuffman | May 1, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: epjd | May 1, 2009 2:06 PM
==============
I have no problem with her expression of her beliefs (despite what Perez Hilton says.) I do have a problem with prefacing those beliefs by saying that America is so great because we can choose.

We can't choose. That's the point. Even if you choose to get married in one state, you cannot guarantee those rights will be recognized in another state.

And if she thinks America is so great because we can choose, why does she want to take that choice away from "her country?"

I just wish that Perez had actually listened to her answer before he decided to engage in a vicious personal attack. He's turned her into a martyr that she doesn't deserve to be.

Posted by: mdreader01 | May 1, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, America is great. I may utterly condemn someone's beliefs but I'll fight for their right to express them. The right to express a certain belief, however, does not make it right or validated. Some idiot wearing a bed sheet spouting off about white supremacy and advocating restrictions on minorities for example. A vapid beauty contestant advocating restricting the legal rights inherent to a civil union to male/female unions only is merely another example.

We have a judiciary branch of government to protect citizens' rights from the tyranny of the majority, which is why the whole marriage debate is, rightly, going to be decided in the courts instead of the ballot box. It will come down to a civil rights issue and the courts will, I believe, affirm that we are a nation that does not willingly infringe on the civil rights of its citizens.

Sadly, that means I can't get behind a ban on Gary Coleman wrestling tacos, because it would be restricting his freedom. Pity. But I make sacrifices for my beliefs.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | May 1, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Miss California lost the crown because she was completely inarticulate and unpoised, not because of her political beliefs. They ask those questions to see who can answer them inoffensively, but she couldn't even get her facts straight and she called heterosexual marriage other marriage. She sounded stupid, and her answer made people laugh. So she is not going on a crusade for her beliefs, she is milking her fifteen minutes because she had some moron's sense of entitlement-based belief that she should have gotten the crown. And the religious right is perfectly willing to use her as their spokesmodel just as they did with Terry Schiavo, someone with the same level of brain activity as Miss California.

Posted by: msame | May 1, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

What mdreader said.

Epjd, the title is "Miss", not "Ms.", because these are never-married ladies, not liberated women whose marital status is unimportant. Feminine, not feminist. The beauty pageant industry works very hard to maintain the image of sexual purity in their contestants. Remember what happened to Vanessa Williams?

If Miss Cali had won, she wouldn't have been able to express her personal opinion on anything anyway. She would have become an employee of the Miss Universe Organization in the role of spokesperson, with charitable work focused on breast and ovarian cancer research (Miss USA) or HIV/AIDS (Miss Universe), and I seriously doubt they let the girls speak off the cuff very often. What would she have done if she had won as Miss Universe and had to support AIDS education, which (if done right) is pretty explicit on the subject of gay sex.

Posted by: northgs | May 2, 2009 7:06 AM | Report abuse