Posted at 8:29 AM ET, 06/ 4/2009

Angelina Jolie Tops Forbes Most Powerful Celeb List

By Liz Kelly

BREAKING: David Carradine, star of "Kung Fu" and "Kill Bill" among many other films, was found dead in his hotel room in Thailand. One Thai newspaper is reporting that the 72-year-old actor may have committed suicide. -- 10:17 a.m. ET

---

Thursday

Headlines: Angelina Jolie bumps Oprah to become world's most powerful celeb... Ashton Kutcher passes 2 million Twitter follower mark... Eminem admits he was in on Bruno stunt... Mickey Rourke and Paris Hilton -- ideal couple?... James Franco backs out of giving UCLA commencement speech... Britney Spears drops the price on her up for sale L.A. home... Wal-Mart launching Miley Cyrus fashion line... Marilyn Manson gives disjointed BBC interview... Woman claims Sacha Baron Cohen bingo melee left her crippled.

Pix: Michael Jackson's kids unmasked... Tracy Morgan on the set of Kevin Smith's upcoming movie.

Video: Our Jen Chaney challenges 'Hangover' star Bradley Cooper to a game of movie trivia:

Rumor Mill: Rep says reports of Brangelina split "absolutely not true"... Christina Ricci calls off engagement... Ashlee Simpson (verbally) attacks Pete Wentz's ex... Nicolas Cage hires voodoo priestess to break hex on movie... Madonna funding Jesus Luz's DJ ambitions?

Say What?
"They are men. They have desires. They have testosterone." -- Mom Denise Jonas of sons Kevin, Joe and Nick. (See previous post to get a look at that testosterone.)

"We want to talk about your sex addiction!" -- Fans to David Duchovny at a screening of his series "Californication."

Chat Day: Join me at 2 p.m. ET for Celebritology Live, my favorite hour of your week.

By Liz Kelly  | June 4, 2009; 8:29 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Joe Jonas, Single Lady?
Next: Will Celebs Get You iGoogling?

Comments

Angelina v. Oprah is mentioned in Nostradamus:
Sooner and later you will see great changes made,/
dreadful horrors and vengeances./
For as the moon is thus led by its angel/
the heaves draw near to the Balance.
(Century I, Quatrain 56)

Ashton Kutcher - also mentioned in Nostradamus:
The sudden death of the first personage/
Will have caused a change and put another in the sovereignty:/
Soon, late come so high and of low age,/
Such by land and sea that it will be necessary to fear him.
(Century IV, Quatrain 14)

"Wal-Mart launching Miley Cyrus fashion line." Is *everything* about Nostradamus today?

Q: How will we know if Nicolas Cage's voodoo priestess managed to break the hex on his movie?
A: Nicolas Cage will be fired.

A note to David Duchovny's fans: talking about sex addiction is like reading about music. Come back when you're serious.

Posted by: byoolin1 | June 4, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

This item is fraught with social freight. "Wal-Mart launching Miley Cyrus fashion line." Truly captures the spirit of our times.

Brangelina really need their own country. Maybe somewhere near Tanzania. Then when they split, which now seems inevitable given the vehemence of the denials, they can do what Czechoslovakia did.

Looks like people have confused Mickey Rourke's role in 9 1/2 Weeks with the real person. That role was just acting. Or maybe not.

Nicolas Cage hires voodoo priestess. Again meeting our expectations. If he could have gotten Lisa Bonet to reprise her role in Angelheart, it might have been cheaper. And just as effective.

I predict the victim of the Sacha Baron Cohen bingo melee (another cultural catchphrase) will admit she was in on a stunt.

Posted by: reddragon1 | June 4, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Thank you for 7 minutes of Bradley Cooper to start my day. Probably my biggest celeb crush. I wouldn't have even been able to speak if I was sitting next to him.

Posted by: sdb1 | June 4, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Ditto on Bradley Cooper, it is clear in the video Jen was absolutely derailed by his physical presence...

Posted by: LTL1 | June 4, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

I was always kind of indifferent about Bradley Cooper, but this video has won me over. kudos! :)

Posted by: eet7e | June 4, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

I am SO gay for Bradley Cooper:

Whether that feeling would be reciprocated is ambiguous. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 4, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Vehement denials of breakup, that's stage one of the End.

Mama Jonas - ick nast. What IS it with these unnatural relationships between parents and their celeb kids? Miley Cyrus and her dad, Shia LaBoeuf and his mom, Woody Allen and his now wife.

Madonna, babies cost so much.

Posted by: epjd | June 4, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Breaking News: David Carradine found dead in a Bangkok hotel. Natural causes is the most likely cause of death. He was 73.

Go to yellowbook.com to locate the funeral home.

Posted by: epjd | June 4, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Those are not Michael Jackson's kids, no matter what he looks like now, he was born a black man. I understand bi-racial children can come in a variety of hues, from Jennifer Beals to Halle Barry to Barak Obama, but it seem unlikely that all of his kids would be white. I demand a DNA test.

Posted by: zn123 | June 4, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Mickey + Paris = Ick, nast.

Ok, yesterday I was kidding when I said it was time to go to Costco to stock-up. Byoolin, you're scaring me now.

Agree, "Bingo melee" should become part of the Lizard Island lexicon but not sure how it should be used in a sentence.

Posted by: hodie | June 4, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

A note about the David Duchovny thing-- I was at the event. "Fans" were not involved in yelling anything at him. It was a screening series as part of the television awards season, so the event was actually well attended by industry and press, as well as some general series fans. It was one woman in the back of the room, unfortunately, near David. And the overwhelming reaction from the people in my section who heard her was disgust. He handled himself with grace and dignity. The event was an interesting and fun look at the series and the creatives behind it. I'd hate to have a negative cloud cast over it because of one classless woman looking to get a reaction.

Posted by: katedating | June 4, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

The Thai newspaper The Nation reports that Carradine may have hanged himself.

"It was a hotel's maid who opened his suite on Thursday at 10 am only to find Carradine in a closet. He was described as behind half naked.

"Police investigation showed that he hung himself with a rope, the kind that is used with curtains.

"Police said he was dead for not less than 12 hours and found no sign of fighting and assaults."

Posted by: byoolin1 | June 4, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Regardless of the circumstances, RIP, Grasshoppa.

katedating, "handled himself" may be a poor choice of words in the context of sexual addition.

Posted by: reddragon1 | June 4, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

ZN123, it came out during some legal action or another a few years ago, the older two are not his biological children. He paid for Debbie Rowe to be inseminated by a sperm donor, then paid her to give up all rights of the kids to him. Since they were married at the time, there was the presumption of paternity that let him bypass several adoption laws. No one knows the details about the youngest's birth.

Posted by: epjd | June 4, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: katedating | June 4, 2009 10:16 AM
==============
Really, Denise Jonas can be SO RUDE, sometimes.

Posted by: mdreader01 | June 4, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

...or sexual addiction!

Posted by: reddragon1 | June 4, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

ep, re Jacko, I'm hoping you mean "presumption of paternity" in the legal sense, rather than within the realm of actual possiblity.

Posted by: reddragon1 | June 4, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Thanks ep. Makes sense, since no adoption agency in the world would give that freakazoid a child.

Posted by: zn123 | June 4, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Redragon, well, of course. Otherwise, ICK NAAAAAAST.

Posted by: epjd | June 4, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Everyone who read yesterday's chat knows the real old guy/young chick couple is Sir Paul and Jen. Altough if you believe Heather, maybe Jen has already suffered enough.

Posted by: reddragon1 | June 4, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Marilyn Manson, now channelling Beavis:

"Adrian asks him about the Download festival, where Manson is playing this summer. 'You said load. And down,' Manson interrupts."

Posted by: mdreader01 | June 4, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Natural causes is the most likely cause of death. He was 73.
***
i guess if stringing oneself up by a window shade cord is considered a natural cause.

Posted by: frieda406 | June 4, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Either Forbes is about to fire someone, or Oprah is changing her name to Avis.

Prince Michael I looks like Christina Ricci.
Paris looks like Debbie Rowe.
Neither resemble Michael Jackson one bit.

Is the Jonas family from Long Island by any chance? If so, I think Dina Lohan's about to lose her "best mom" crown. But, er, Denise? Feel free to hold back at any time. Honest. It's OK.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | June 4, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Since Debbie Rowe was being artifically inseminated, why wouldn't Jackson just use his own DNA? He wouldn't have to sleep with a woman either way. Does he think girls are so icky that he doesn't even want to have indirect contact with one through artifical insemination. I feel so sorry for those kids. They have to live with all his craziness and then they won't even receive an inheritence to make up for it.

Posted by: buffysummers | June 4, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Go to yellowbook.com to locate the funeral home.

Posted by: epjd | June 4, 2009 9:54 AM
----------------------------------------
Excellent, ep! You get my vote for the Ghoul of the Week comment.

I wonder if Carradine's suicide will spawn more discussion of "hang" versus "hung" over in the Gene Pool. Perhaps Liz can continue that discussion this afternnon.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | June 4, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I will just never get why Angelina is considered powerful. WhatEVER.

RIP David Carradine. How very sad.

The Jonases are men? Really?

Those poor Jackson kids. I can't even imagine having to wear freaky masks every time I stepped outside and having a bona fide freak as a father. Not to mention having a sibling nicknamed Blanket because my parents were too dumb to think up another name for my sibling, who has the same name as me ... maybe Mia Farrow's kid formerly named Satchel, who was smart enough to legally change his name, should get in touch with Blanket.

And if Jacko has any money left, may it go into a trust fund for lifelong therapy for those kids.

Posted by: Californian11 | June 4, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Yellowbook? Wow ep. Even the Lindberhg baby was shocked.

Angelina Jolie, world's most powerful woman? This might cause Oprah to fall off her diet again. Oh wait....

Words I thought I'd never see in a sentence, Wal-Mart and fashion and bingo melee. My life is complete.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | June 4, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Angelina v. Oprah is mentioned in Nostradamus:
Sooner and later you will see great changes made,/
dreadful horrors and vengeances./
For as the moon is thus led by its angel/
the heaves draw near to the Balance.
(Century I, Quatrain 56)

Ashton Kutcher - also mentioned in Nostradamus:
The sudden death of the first personage/
Will have caused a change and put another in the sovereignty:/
Soon, late come so high and of low age,/
Such by land and sea that it will be necessary to fear him.
(Century IV, Quatrain 14)

Posted by: byoolin1 | June 4, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Does Nostradamus mention anything about the ponies I should pick at the track tomorrow? Tomorrow's winning lottery numbers? What stocks to buy?

Posted by: jezebel3 | June 4, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Every time I read "the heaves draw near to the Balance", I get the giggles. It is supposed to be "heavens", right? ;-)

Posted by: Californian11 | June 4, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Jez, Nostradamus seems to advise against buying commodities, and he's bearish on America and religion:

Alas, how we will see a great nation sorely troubled/
and the holy law in utter ruin./
Christianity (governed) throughout by other laws,/
when a new source of gold and silver is discovered.

(Century I, Quatrain 53)

I'd recommend buying canned goods and retreating to a bunker.

Posted by: byoolin1 | June 4, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

hee hee jezebel said "pony" ...

Posted by: Californian11 | June 4, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Vehement denials of breakup, that's stage one of the End.

Posted by: epjd
**********************************

Exactly what I was thinking.

On the MJ kids thing, I just sorta assumed that MJ was the sperm donor though as epjd has informed us it ain't so. And after seeing them you can tell there's no way he's their bio-dad.

As for the Jonas Bros., um...notwatchingthat.....

ew

Posted by: wadejg | June 4, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

If MJ had been the sperm donor, the kids might have had his original features. After all the money he has spent changing from a black man to a white woman, MJ was not going to let that happen. Hence the anonymous sperm donor.

Posted by: epjd | June 4, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Ah jeez, am so sad about Carradine. So sad. May have to do a Kill Bill marathon in memoriam (even though he dies, he was still so very cool in it).

Okay, said in the paper this morning that if Heincer is let back on the show they'll have to do an overnight in isolation in a tent or cell that is full of insects and reptiles. OH PRETTY PLEASE!!!??? Can we even have a camera in there for a live feed of Heidi freaking out?

*the cat steps back* Sheesh, that is so unlike me...I mean, I wouldn't wish insects and reptiles on my worst enemy...what does that say about Heincer d'you suppose? Maybe that they're so unreal they seem not real?

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | June 4, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Is the Jonas mom texting with Joe Simpson or something? I still shudder every time I remember him bragging about Jessica's rack. Ick nast.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | June 4, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Californian11 | June 4, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

"David Carradine was also naked when he was found hanging in the closet. Hmm. Makes me think maybe it wasn't suicide, but an unfortunate accident. Why would someone strip naked before committing suicide?"

Erotic asphyxiation

Posted by: zn123 | June 4, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Or instead of hiring a voodoo priestess, Nick Cage could simply do a better job of acting. My sense is that there aren't enuf spells and chicken heads to salvage gems such as Snake Eyes and Bangkok Dangerous.

Posted by: Puddin34 | June 4, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I'd recommend buying canned goods and retreating to a bunker.

Posted by: byoolin1 | June 4, 2009 1:17 PM
--------------------------------------------
We got the Don Cherry signal yesterday, courtesy of Nosy.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | June 4, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: byoolin1 | June 4, 2009 9:15 AM
-------------------------------------------
Better yet, come back when he has videos.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | June 4, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

I know most of you are gone for the day but I was looking at a friends current copy of Newsweek and lo and behold it's Oprah. But not in a "yay we love Oprah" kind of way. Since I know how much Liz loves Oprah (ha ha) I thought I'd mention it.

Posted by: Vienna8425 | June 4, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

You guys were totally cracking me up. However, this gets my vote for Comment of the Week:

Posted by: byoolin1 | June 4, 2009 9:15 A

* * *
As ep pointed out, vehement denials is always Stage One of the End; however, as we all know, renewal of the vows is Stage Two. So since Brangelina aren't technically married, we need to ponder what their substitute will be for Stage Two.

Miley Cyrus = Wal-Mart: It was inevitable, really. Trash meet trash.

Suicide at 72: what's the point? Just hang on, it's almost over anyway.

Posted by: 7900rmc | June 4, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Californian11 | June 4, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

********************************************

You're born naked and you die naked, but only if you plan it right.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | June 4, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse