Posted at 8:00 AM ET, 06/24/2009

Christian Bale Named Most Fling-Worthy; SJP Welcomes Twin Girls

By Liz Kelly

Christian Bale arrives at the Los Angeles premiere of his new movie, 'Public Enemies,' on Tuesday. (AP)

Wednesday

Headlines: Christian Bale tops list of fantasy summer fling partners... "Jon and Kate Plus Eight" on hiatus until August... Sarah Jessica Parker and Matthew Broderick welcome twin girls Marion Loretta Elwell and Tabitha Hodge... Director defends posting new racy-ish Miley Cyrus photos online... E! vows to stop covering Speidi... Emma Watson says she may give up acting... Elisabeth Hasselbeck accused of plagiarism.

Crime Watch: Darryl Hannah arrested at West Virginia mine protest... Alleged Britney Spears trespasser pleads not guilty...

Pix: Bleach blonde Dakota Fanning on "The Runaways" set.

Video: Dog-walking Zachary Quinto (accompanied by man in meat suit) falls down... Joan Rivers calls Johnny Carson a "nasty man."

Rumor Mill: Nick Lachey and Vanessa Minnillo split... Soon to be ex-wife Tameka Foster accuses Usher's PR team of smear campaign... Angelina Jolie considering a political future?... Jon and Kate Gosselin estranged for two years prior to divorce announcement?... Jon's girlfriend set to join show?... Madonna re-creating country estate in New York townhouse... George Clooney recommends tequila to ward off Swine Flu... Johnny Depp leaves $4,000 tip for waiter.

---

Best Pet Tricks! Submit your videos for a chance to claim bragging rights.

Coming Thursday: The return of The "Lost" Hour -- join Jen Chaney and me for a summer-long review of seasons 1 and 2. Start watching now. Start chatting tomorrow at 3 p.m. ET.

By Liz Kelly  | June 24, 2009; 8:00 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: When I Met Ed McMahon
Next: Paris Hilton's New BFF?

Comments

Wait, someone has accused Elisabeth Hasselbeck of not having an original thought? Wow, that's news.

Posted by: jes11 | June 24, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

How do I get on the Christian Bale Fling waitlist?

Daryl Hannah has had some work done, her face is looking...a bit weird, and I can't put my finger on it.

Joan Rivers can eat it.

Posted by: jelo97 | June 24, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

I suppose it's too much to hope that the "J+K+8" hiatus gives America enough time to forget who they are.

"Director defends posting new racy-ish Miley Cyrus photos online..."
I guess he did have a point when he said, "but everyone else is doing it."

E! not covering Heincer will be the first step on that program's journey back to journalistic respectability. (See, td? I *told* you I could make a sentence containing "E!", "Heincer" and "journalistic respectability". You owe me $5.)

"Elisabeth Hasselbeck accused of plagiarism." Replied Hasselbeck, "That's ridonculous! I've never even had the plague."

Between SJP's kids and Darryl Hannah, WV hasn't had a bigger news day since that lottery winner had $500K taken from his truck in a strip joint parking lot.

Joan Rivers calls Johnny Carson a "nasty man." Coming from Joan, that's high praise indeed.

"George Clooney recommends tequila to ward off Swine Flu." Hey, if the waitresses believe it, that's what I'd tell 'em too.

Posted by: byoolin1 | June 24, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

I tried to Google a Dakota Fanning Countdown Clock, but the links it brought up were too skeevy for even me. Stay away until February 23, 2012, just in case you need to be warned.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 24, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Re: Banning the Flesh-Color Bearded One and his wife

I never thought I would say this, but "Good for E!"
I hope this becomes a trend, not just for E but for everyone, to stop covering people that apparently an overwhelming majority of readers don't care to read about.

May I humbly suggest for a Friday list: "Celebrities" we want banned.

Posted by: starbuck13 | June 24, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Can't wait for the Lost Hour tomorrow!!!

Posted by: gobluegirl | June 24, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

"George Clooney recommends tequila to ward off Swine Flu."

And whiskey to ward off marriage.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | June 24, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Everyone else can join the Christian Bale fling list, I will pass. That anger problem is not my cup of tea.

Joan, Johnny passed you over as guest host 30 years ago. time to let go.

So goes E, so goes the nation. We can only hope.

Congrats to SJP and MB. Double congrats for the decent names. Now maybe the surrogate can get her life back. Although why do I think she is headed for her own reality show?

George, I don't know if tequila will really ward off swine flu, but I am willing to give it a shot.

Posted by: epjd | June 24, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

A lot of people have said Carson was horribly mean spirited and one of his wives claimed physical abuse. Joan may be right, but it's a rotten way to honor McMahon.

Posted by: sarahabc | June 24, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

(byoolin, the check's in the mail.)

Joan Rivers calls Johnny Carson a "nasty man." In other news, Joan Crawford is reportedly a controlling mother and isn't getting along with Bette Davis on the set of their new film, "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?" Call Hedda Hopper!

Who in their right mind names a child Tabitha? (Oh wait; right mind...hmm.) Besides, if you're going to name one twin Tabitha, at least go all the way and own it. Name the other one Samantha or Serena. Or Gladys.

Why "August" for the Gosselin hiatus? So they can return to the set with great tans? So if the kids get sunburns, Kate can blame Jon on camera?

Christian Bale looks pretty good in that photo, but older than 35. Must be using the same cologne as George Clooney.

I cannot WAIT for Angelina to enter politics (President Lara Croft?), if for no other reason so that we can come up with a campaign slogan for her.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | June 24, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Elisabeth Hasselbeck accused of plagiarism.

Anyone else wonder if EH was taking credit for work by a ghostwriter who committed the plagiarism? That would be doubly rich.

Darryl Hannah arrested at West Virginia mine protest.

Mountaintop-removal mine is owned by a subsidiary of Massey Energy, which just lost that US Supreme Court decision over a WV justice who took millions in Massey campaign donations, then declined to recuse himself from a Massey case and sided with Massey. Other celebs arrested with Hannah were NASA global-warming expert James Hansen and former Congressman Ken Hechler.

Angelina Jolie considering a political future?

Would dad Jon Voight run against her for President? If she won, would that make Brad the First Himbo?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 24, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

GWB was the first Himbo, no?

Posted by: byoolin1 | June 24, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Christian Bale is fling-worthy in ANY season. Any time.

Posted by: choirgirl04 | June 24, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I'm with ep and will skip the Balefest. Instead I will serve one tall drink of water for Johnny Depp. No need to tip.

Emma Watson is one beautiful girl. Good luck at Cambridge (or Oxford).

I like the name Tabitha but think Marion is a bit too matronly for a baby. But congrats to the happy new parents.

Wish I could see the Quinto vid. Will have to wait until I go home.

Johnny, that Ms. Rivers, if you're nasty.

Posted by: hodie | June 24, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Take two: Johnny, that's Ms. Rivers if you're nasty.

Posted by: hodie | June 24, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

KARNAK THE MAGIFICENT: Johnny Carson, Ed McMahon, Edgar Rosenberg.

ED MCMAHON: Johnny Carson, Ed McMahon, Edgar Rosenberg.

KARNAK [glares at ED]: May you wake up after a weekend binge naked and handcuffed to a goat.

ED MCMAHON: Ho! Ho! [pause] Johnny Carson, Ed McMahon, Edgar Rosenberg.

KARNAK: [tears open envelope and reads] Name three people who don't have to put up with Joan's sh*t anymore.

ED MCMAHON: Hey-o!

Posted by: byoolin1 | June 24, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I hope there's more to that plagiarism complaint than what's on that web site. I don't feel a single twinge about wanting Hasselbeck to be publicly embarrassed. But EVERY diet book on EARTH tells you to shop the perimeter of the grocery store. Apparently there's plutonium next to the cereal.

Posted by: otherliz | June 24, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Who had the better Father's Day?
A) Jon Gosslin
B) Matthew Broderick
C) Gov. Mark Sanford

Who would win the mean contest?
A) Chris Brown
B) Christian Bale
C) Johnny Carson

Bonus: Who would we like to take a permanent hiatus?
A) Jon & Kate + 8 + Date
B) Heincer

Posted by: mdreader01 | June 24, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Note to Darryl Hannah: don't mess with people's jobs. You have no idea how hard it is to find a decent job back there. And while I don't like that kind of minning, if it was between feeding my kids and the mountian, I would feed my kids.

I hate out of touch famous people.

Posted by: supersonic2 | June 24, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Christian Bale? Alrighty then. Guess some people like their "flings" to be abusive and have serious anger issues.

Posted by: Californian11 | June 24, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Am I the only one who doesn't find byloon funny?

You do know that Ohio and WV are different states?

You are just not funny.

Posted by: kicker1 | June 24, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone catch this on the Johnny Depp link?

"In a related story, Jennifer Lopez had her maid held underwater for three minutes because she didn’t fold her giant underwear the proper, extra-fancy way. Oh wait. I guess in hindsight the two stories aren’t really that similar."

As for "Celebrities we want banned" ... #1 on my list is Brangelina.

Posted by: Californian11 | June 24, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I can't snark on Darryl Hannah today. There are three generations of miners in my family. Nobody but the mining companies benefits from mountaintop mining. Yes, today you can feed your family. And tomorrow, you'll lose your house in a landslide. Or you'll lose your potable drinking water. If we all just thought about getting through today no matter what, there would be no tomorrows for anybody.

Posted by: mdreader01 | June 24, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Kicker, I don't find byloon funny either. But if this is about the Karnak joke, just ask and someone will explain it.

As for OH & WV being different states, you do have good point. I should have said "WTRF-TV in Wheeling WV hasn't had a bigger news day..."

It's just that Martins Ferry OH, the birthplace of MB & SJP's twins, is right there across the river and it's in our local newscasts and newspaper every day. It's got the same people, the same landscape, the same economy. So it feels like it's in WV.

Posted by: byoolin1 | June 24, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

byoolin may not be funny today, but I never "got" Johnny so don't know if he is or isn't. I suspect he is, because he's usually funny. Crude, but funny.

ep, on the other hand, definitely is funny today and always.

Putting Daryl Hannah in "Crime Watch" for protesting coal companies was a reach. Although I wouldn't mind arresting her, now the Jessica Alba is off limits.

Posted by: reddragon1 | June 24, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

How could [Angelina] run a country when she's too busy changing her address daily?

One could likewise ask this of SC Gov. Mark Sanford, who is (or was, till the past few days) known to harbor Presidential ambitions. See possible blogging of his 2 PM EDT news conference at:

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 24, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

"As for "Celebrities we want banned" ... #1 on my list is Brangelina.

Among the bazillion reasons she's not qualified for or suited for politics ... she can't stay in one place more than a few minutes. How could she run a country when she's too busy changing her address daily and between producing more and yet more kids?"

I dunno, Californian, inability to stay in one place didn't stop Mark Sanford from becoming governor of a state...

Posted by: ASinMoCo | June 24, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

byoolin, I'd suggest that there's a subtle semantic difference between being the first Himbo and the First Himbo.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 24, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I think byoolin is hilarious. I am a lurker who checks in daily to read byoolin, td, reddragon, nosy, sasquatch, who else am I forgetting. Continue, please. Oh, and Liz, of course!

Posted by: stefs624 | June 24, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Yep, I find the usual suspects hilarious too.

For some serious belly laughs, check out today's creative captioning contest. Major LOLs ...

Posted by: Californian11 | June 24, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Season 1 and 2 of Lost? Oh, lizzie, don't do this. Lost has been like Twitter for me. I simply don't want to invest time time, no matter what the quality is. Your going over seasons 1 and 2 makes me count the hours of my life I'll never get back if I take you up on your offer.

Posted by: lolyla | June 24, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Some people simply can't tell when Byoolin is floating a trail byloon.

As for the picture at the top of this blog entry, if that what is meant by a Baleful look?

Are we sure that it was a guy in a meat suit accompanying Zachary Quinto? Could it have been the infamous Wrestling Taco who beat Gary Coleman 2 falls to naught in a WWE cage match? Shouldn't the costumed accompaniment to Zachary Quinto's dog walking have been Mister Hanky?

Why did I initially read "Jon and Kate Plus Eight" on hiatus" as "John and Kate Plus Eight hate us"?

If George Clooney continues to recommend tequila, he will have no shot at this title:

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | June 24, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Christian Bale may be named most fling worthy, but whom among us would have guessed that Gov. Mark Sanford WAS fling worthy?

Posted by: mdreader01 | June 24, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Mark Sanford provides a new perspective to the phrase, "You can see all the way to Argentina."

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | June 24, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Dog-walking Zachary Quinto (accompanied by man in meat suit) falls down.

Reminds me of Norm's bon mot in "Cheers":
"It's a dog eat dog world out there and I'm wearing Milkbone underwear."

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 24, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

You, too, would have a digestive disorder if you ate the crap that Elisabeth Hasselbeck dispenses on The View.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | June 24, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Sas, I was half-expecting Sanford to do a Budd Dwyer today.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 24, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

As a lurker, I must opine that Byoolin is very nearly almost always usually hilarious. But I have it on good authority that he was responsible for the death of the Lindbergh baby.

Posted by: Wikijen | June 24, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Any bets on how soon Mark Sanford will be going into rehab, or treated for bipolar disorder (or some other euphemism)?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 24, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Wikijen | June 24, 2009 4:01 PM

--------------------------------------------

I've also heard rumors that Byoolin gave Budd Dwyer the gun.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | June 24, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Sas! That byoolin is a vertitable Zelig.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 24, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

veritable

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 24, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Sas! That byoolin is a vertitable Zelig.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 24, 2009 4:26 PM
-------------------------------------------
Pay no attention to that Woody.

Whatever you do, don't call Byoolin zaftig.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | June 24, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Sas, At least I didn't call byoolin another Forrest Gump.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 24, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Nosy, I suppose that's all you have to say about that.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | June 24, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Huh?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 24, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Forest Gump: "And that's all I have to say about that."

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | June 24, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Nosy, perhaps someone could introduce Sanford to David Duchovany?

Posted by: hodie | June 24, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Guess I need some dinner to boost my blood sugar back up.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 24, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Good lord, someone drops in just to insult our sultan of snark? Byoo, for what it's worth, add me to the list of people who find you funny.

Great picture of Bale, but I don't really get the fling-worthy. He's a bit dark natured for a fling, I would think. Besides, he's in the same blog post with a Johnny Depp as fantastic gentleman piece...must tether myself to chair so I don't float away.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | June 24, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

"GWB was the first Himbo, no?"

No. Himbos are good looking.

Posted by: onlytheshadowknows1 | June 24, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

byoolin is funny in much the same way that Fraiser was funny. A knowledge of the arcane is a must.

ep, is always witty and funny.

So does this mean the E! will have to go back to covering Tara Reid's mishaps?

And where does one buy a meat suit these days? The Men's Wearhouse?

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | June 24, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse