Posted at 11:59 AM ET, 06/15/2009

Jennifer Aniston an Unfair Target?

By Liz Kelly
Comment Box

I rarely find myself disagreeing with your trenchant commentary, but was really bothered by the blog posting on the Pet Sitters Award this morning. It does not appear that [Jennifer] Aniston sought the award, nor does she appear to be trying to make a PR coup out of it. Yet, it was used as an opportunity to take potshots at her for not being Angelina Jolie (who despite the other polls cited is not everyone's idea of female perfection incarnate). -- Submitted to last week's Celebritology Live discussion

If that's the impression you had after reading the piece, then I can only conclude I did a bad job of expressing myself. In the interest of full disclosure I'm on team Brangelina, but I didn't intend (in that instance) to take potshots at Aniston. What I was trying to get at is that Aniston's string of disappointments -- the Brad Pitt divorce, her on-again/off-again relationship with John Mayer, her ho-hum buzz factor -- really have me wondering if she was born under a bad sign. Another way of saying it: She just can't catch a break. Aniston herself acknowledged that in a speech over the weekend when she compared her bumpy love life to the roles she's had in the past and added, "So if any of you have a project titled 'Everlasting Love with an Adult, Stable Male,' I'm at table six, and my agents are at table 12."

Like it or not, Jennifer Aniston will forever be compared to Angelina Jolie. If the Petsitters honor had been announced in a different week, we might have had a chance to reflect kindly on that nice Jennifer girl who likes animals. Instead, thanks to rotten timing, it stood in stark contrast to Jolie's newly-acquired title of Most Powerful Celebrity.

---

Anthony Bourdain, love him or hate him? I love his outspokenness and ability to turn a phrase. I hate the indie/hipster vibe he insists on projecting. For example, the episode where he lectures his viewers on America's Immigration policy while "dangerously crossing the border" on his BMW motorcycle. But I digress... He was recently on a panel with goopy friend Mario Batali and took the opportunity to bash the Goopster herself. -- Submitted to last week's Celebritology Live discussion

Love him. Mr. Liz and I are regular "No Reservations" viewers. What other food/travel show would allow the host to get this far off topic (but still hold our interest):

As for that indie/hipster vibe, my read is that is his genuine persona. So take it or leave it, I guess. My thinking is that it's actually refreshing to see a travel show host who isn't afraid to speak his mind -- whether that opinion is popular or not. I also give Bourdain big ups for taking every opportunity to slag Paris Hilton (in this clip, he describes her as having "no fat and a blank stare.")

As for skewering meat-shunning Gwyneth Paltrow, I'm not surprised. Bourdain is an unapologetic fan of animal flesh.

A random related fact: Back in my early days at washingtonpost.com, I produced a chat with Bourdain when his book "A Cook's Tour" was released in 2002. Unlike most guests, who opted for either logging in themselves or dictating answers to a producer over the phone, Bourdain actually came in to the building and I spent 60 fabulous minutes with him in a small conference room. I'm sure it left as big of an impression on him.

---

Comment of the Week
"...and so Bret Michaels begins taping 'Rock Of Love 3.'" -- Byoolin's response to Michaels' description of his Tony Award show accident aftermath: "Somebody handed me a towel to wipe the blood from my face and in my dazed state I recall staring at what seemed to be Shrek, a talking goat head and several monkey like creatures."

By Liz Kelly  | June 15, 2009; 11:59 AM ET
Categories:  Comment Box
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Harrison Ford Tops List of Highest Paid Actors; David Carradine Laid to Rest
Next: Letterman Apologizes to Palin (Again); Katie Holmes Tapes 'SYTYCD' Performance

Comments

--Jennifer Aniston, commenting on the plot of her next movie, titled Six of One, A Dozen of the Other

As for me, I'm sitting in Outer Mongolia, at the table next to the kitchen door, hoping in vain that table 12 will send me a complementary drink, and that table 6 will send me dessert.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | June 15, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Your clarification still comes across as negatively comparing Jennifer to Angelina, with an underlying presumption that Angelina is the standard by which all women should be judged.

You obviously believe Angelina's humanitarian "work" (or should I say PR releases) is more valuable than an award for dog-loving. That being said, don't feel sorry for Jen. "Marley" was a huge worldwide hit and the highest grossing dog movie ever made.

Jennifer is among the top 10 actresses in the world at the moment. OK, so she's not Number 1. She's beautiful, extremely rich, and has a slew of friends. It would be normal to have about a 5-year recovery period from the Jolie/Pitt disaster, so give her another year.

Posted by: PJinBoston | June 15, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I think Jennifer Aniston is an unfair target for many people. Perez Hilton never leaves her alone. Why I have to ask? She's pretty, she seems nice and she is a decent actress.

I do not like Angelina, but then that started way before she had an affair with a married man, well if that's the case, I guess I haven't liked her since she was 12. :)

Posted by: supersonic2 | June 15, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Jen, I have thought for quite a while now that you have something against Jennifer Aniston. If you do, just admit it!

Posted by: mskidz | June 15, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Your most recent post on Jennifer Aniston doesn't help. While the one on Friday just seemed mean (and weird), this one just seems patronizing. Making a joke about yourself doesn't mean even you realize you can't catch a break. It means you've got a sense of humor about yourself.

As for the "destined to be compared"--as long as people (like you) insist on comparing them, then yes they are destined to be compared. But, the next time you complain about Jennifer Aniston not being able to shut up about her divorce, take a look in the mirror. If the press won't leave it alone, how can she avoid it?

Posted by: caroleg1 | June 15, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

On Jennifer Aniston's list of movie roles she included "The Break-up" as if it were just a coincidence that the timing of that movie coincided with circumstances in her real life.

But, IMO, that movie (at least its title) was calculated to capitalize on her "break-up" by all participants, including Aniston herself.

Wasn't Vince Vaughn working on the set of "Mr. and Mrs Smith" with Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie when he commissioned that script to be written by two friends of his?

Vaughn even stated that it had been written specifically for Aniston to star in. Because of her great depth of acting skills, I believe he said. Something like that. Ability to handle drama and comedy blah blah.

Right. And her real break-up to which he had a front row seat had nothing to do with it in terms of giving him PR buzz.

But it was interesting to see such a blatant turning of heartache into bucks play itself out. And for Aniston to be so on board with it.

Posted by: trwv | June 15, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

LOVE Bourdain & I think that indie hipster cred is justified. He's paid his dues to get that cred.

Plus how can you NOT like anyone that hates the Goopster & Paris Hilton & has this to say about the raw-food movement "I find the raw food movement deeply disturbing, creepily anti-human and antithetical to the whole idea of what a chef does."

A trend that I'm sure Goopy Gwennie tried it at one point in her pathetic existence.

Posted by: wadejg | June 15, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I refuse to believe Jennifer was born under a bad sign. She was married to Brad Pitt for the love of Pete!

Posted by: Rosylife | June 15, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I have tickets to see Bourdain at the Food Network Festival in New York this October. I hope he keeps up his no holds barred candor.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 15, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I think you have a typo. It should have read "Like it or not, I will forever compare Jennifer Anniston to Angelina Jolie." Some of us couldn't really give a crap about how two women who happened to love the same man are similar/different.

Posted by: PostReader4 | June 15, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

speaking of 'born under a bad sign'...
how's David Schwimmer doing...

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | June 15, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

speaking of 'born under a bad sign'...
how's David Schwimmer doing...

Posted by: quintiliusvarus |
_____________________

Probably still sleeping in his bed of Friends residuals. Real tough to feel sorry for quasi-talented people that end up in the right place at the right time.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 15, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Jen, Shmen

I think Mrs Obama has a bun in the oven.

Discuss.

As ever,

Curmudgeon

Posted by: bmschumacher | June 15, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

yellojkt, I seem to recall that David Schwimmer directed several epis of "Friends," and that he was hoping to head his career in that direction. He seems like a bright guy who wants to move on with his life, so absent evidence to the contrary I have no reason to wish him anything but well.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 15, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Wow, "born under a bad sign" because she's single? I'd take her life over Liz Kelly's anyday!

Let's see:

Aniston: wealthy beyond imagination, awesome body, pretty, great hair, friendly, has cool friends, nice dad, cool dog, beat the odds to become a successful actress, was in Office Space, has flair.

L. Kelly: writes about gossip but at a serious newspaper, can't write, and is possibly the ugliest woman I've ever seen (yes, I saw you an event--woof!).

Posted by: chunche | June 15, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, maybe Liz or the Sourcettes can check photos/video of the Obamas' recent European visit, to see whether Michelle was drinking wine (or other alcohol), or abstaining? While it wouldn't be conclusive if she wasn't, if she did drink any alcohol it would presumably put the rumor to rest.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 15, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Nosy,

There are pictures of Michelle walking the dog this weekend that sealed the deal for me.

(Sourcettes?)

VTY,

Curmudgeon

Posted by: bmschumacher | June 15, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Nosy_Parker,
Got nothing against Schwimmer. I'd take the money if I could get it and I don't begrudge him his. I just hope he isn't expecting that Ross lightning to hit again.

He seems to have a great face for voice-over work. He's done both Madagascars and seems to have another animated flick in the pipeline.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 15, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

yellojkt, you could probably add a few throw pillows of Madagascar residuals to that Friends bed David Schwimmer has. :)

Posted by: CentrevilleMom | June 15, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Personal story: My mother called one day to tell me my newlywed aunt wasn't drinking any beer. I thought she was accusing her of being a recovering alcoholic instead of an expectant mother. That stuff can go either way.

George Bush never drank wine and he was never preggers.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 15, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, Sourcettes = Amy Argetsinger & Roxanne Roberts of the Post's Reliable Source column (and Wednesday noon-hour chats, if you're online and want to ask them your question then).

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 15, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

yellojkt, dear, my only point was that if Michelle was seen drinking any wine (or other alcohol) in public recently (e.g., Europe, NYC date-night), we could reasonably infer that she's NOT expecting. Abstaining is not proof positive of anything, besides avoiding a few empty calories.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 15, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

BKD a'comin' ...

I'm firmly in the Jen camp simply because she does indeed seem nice and sweet, and comes across as warm and approachable. The kind of woman both women and men would be friends with ... as opposed to Jolie, who comes across to me as immoral, selfish (yes, I think the child-collecting is about her and her issues, and not about the children), manipulative and just plain nuts.

And I thought that even before she hooked up with Billy Bob Whackadoodle when he was engaged to and living with Laura Dern. I think Jolie is just plain Ick Nast, and IMHO her "humanitarian work" is more about grabbing more attention for herself and less about doing good.

Brad Pitt does nothing for me, so maybe Jen was born under an unlucky star. Now if it was Johnny Depp ...

Posted by: Californian11 | June 15, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, POOR Jennifer. Boo hoo hoo!

Rich beyond belief, incredibly beautiful and millions of adoring fans. Life must really be sht for her.

Posted by: charley42 | June 15, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Nah, no rumor.

Just my pregradar working overtime.

I was hoping to hear about similar-signals from other Lizards, that's all.

Your friend,

Curmudgeon, the human radar

Posted by: bmschumacher | June 15, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

"George Bush never drank wine and he was never preggers."

Actually he drank a great deal in his earlier life, which is why he supposedly abstained later. Recovering alcoholic.

Posted by: Californian11 | June 15, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

One thought to add -- Angelina Jolie has always seemed to me to be someone who is potentially terminally unhappy. She rarely looks happy, has done some pretty odd things in the past (and maybe still is for all we know).

I don't know, but I might rather be Jen.

Posted by: DCLocal20 | June 15, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Jen Anniston is okay. She's okay looking, and an okay actress. If it weren't for the Pitt/Jolie situation she would have about the same career as Courtney Cox, Lisa Kudrow, or the rest of the Friends cast. Maybe that's why she can't manage a 'no comment' when asked about it.

Posted by: onlytheshadowknows1 | June 15, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Schwimmer recently directed Run, Fat Boy, Run.

Posted by: MzFitz | June 15, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Alcoholics go to meetings. Bush was just a dry drunk.

And snarkiness aside, Jennifer Anniston needs to give up the movie career. She's never going to be Sandra Bullock or even Parker Posey let alone Meryl Streep. She needs to find a nice sitcom project, maybe as a single mom or a corporate executive in over her head or something like that, where she can do broad reaction shots and have great hair.

I'm slowly drifting into the 'she's far off better without Brad' camp. Now if Angelina would come to her senses and dump that dumb doofus for me, we could restore order to the universe.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 15, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, POOR Jennifer. Boo hoo hoo!

Posted by: charley42 | June 15, 2009 3:26

------------------------------------------

Oh, come on. Looks and money do not equal happiness.

Posted by: beaker1 | June 15, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I couldn't give a flip about Jennifer Aniston, honestly, but I love Anthony Bourdain. Cracks me up with every episode, and I want his job.

Posted by: ASinMoCo | June 15, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the link to the old Bourdain chat. You are a very lucky woman to have been in a room with him for 60 minutes. Perhaps you should see if you can get another chat with him while he's doing press for the new season, which is set to air soon.

Posted by: MzFitz | June 15, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

yellojkt
Alcoholics go to meetings. Bush was just a dry drunk.

Although I'm no fan of Bush's politics, I respectfully disagree with you on this. I know firsthand that some alcoholics manage to quit without going to meetings.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 15, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I find Jen extremely annoying and as for the "break-up" why doesn't she take a page from Emma Thompson's book and just move on, win a second Oscar, and marry a hot man 5 years younger than self? Oh, except maybe she has NO TALENT...uh-oh....guess who's coming up from the basement...with a baseball bat. I'd better hide until LuvJen goes away.
HA!! NO telent!? AS IF! I mean has their ever bean a bettr show than *FREINDS*??????With all that witty RAPPARTEE???? compared to that TINA Fay the fabulus JEN is like JESUS CHRIST AND SUNSHINE ROLLD INTER JUAN!!! I LUV HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE ALL MUST JEN-U-FLECT TO THE GODESSSS!!!!!!
HUGS!

Posted by: possum_pouch | June 15, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

NP,
I was making a poor allusion to the common joke/tee shirt saying that goes "I'm not an alcoholic. I'm drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings." I leave it to the reader to dissect the quip.

George Bush never has admitted to being alcoholic, only that he doesn't drink any more. Yet another insight into his baffling psychology of denial that suffused his public life.

Yet the bigger question is if Mrs. Obama is knocked-up. From the New York Post dated May 31:

"They washed down the fine fare with wine, said a fellow diner, who also noticed Michelle relaxing with a couple of martinis."

So unless the rabbit died within the last two weeks, we have to go with that.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 15, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Thanks LuvJen, You've brightened my afternoon :-)

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 15, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Michelle, unlike Sarah Palin, seems to know where babies come from and when it's a good idea to stop harvesting the cabbage patch. Now, where are those martinis? I feel a hot flash coming on.

Posted by: possum_pouch | June 15, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Possum, Cherie Blair didn't seem to know either.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 15, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

"Hot flash" just reminded me . . . Michelle is a bit longer in the tooth than is favorible for a newbie.

Never mind.

Too much good White House cooking, I guess.

Sincerely,

Curmudgeon (she of the sorely out of service pregradar)

Posted by: bmschumacher | June 15, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

RAPPARTEE, JEN-U-FLECT! Wow, LuvJen, I'm impressed. Not only is your vocabulary improved, but luv the clever joke within. Suddenly I want vitamen water.

Posted by: hodie | June 15, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Is Jenuflection sort of like the inverse of Angiegestion?

Posted by: caroleg1 | June 15, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

I distinctly remember during Bush's last year, at a dinner with other heads of states (G8?)he was holding a glass of wine. There were other photos of him drinking O'Douls.

Posted by: zn123 | June 15, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

zn123

Just HOLDING the glass isn't the same as drinking from it. Heck, if he took a single sip in the interests of protocol, even I would be willing to cut they guy a little slack. I knew someone who'd hold the same full glass all evening at a party, just to keep people from trying to refill it, although he never took a sip.

What's the alcohol content of O'Douls anyway?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 15, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

According to the interwebs that aren't blocked by the workplace alcohol/tobacco filter, O'Douls is 0.4% alcohol so it takes about ten of them to equal one real beer.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 15, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Can alcoholics take just one sip, though? I thought that was a big part of the problem -- they can't stop.

So he fell off the wagon while president. Interesting.

On the far more interesting Jen/Angelina thing, I was just at the drugstore and one of the tabloids screamed "It's WAR!" showing side-by-side photos of Megan Fox and Angelina. I'm going on record to say Megan Fox is wayyyyyyyyyyy better looking. Gorgeous eyes, she's not anorexic, and her lips fit her face and aren't overblown. And maybe it was just a bad shot of Angelina, but girlfriend's looking very o-l-d. Big bags under the eyes.

Posted by: Californian11 | June 15, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I believe it is absolutely terrible the way you guys treat Jennifer. If any of you really knew her, she is one of the sweetest people in the 'scene'. However, you guys know she is a target because she wears her life on her sleeve, only because you expose her as a ditzy and self serving person.

And she is far from it. You guys need to cut her some slack. Give the girl some room to breathe. She needs to re-group. You know she is very accessible for the most part, but there find some space right now, because she deserves. And she does not deserve for you to 'swarm her' every chance you get. All of you.

Posted by: jakesfriend1 | June 15, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Why can't the triangle die?
Why is it that-every person that hate Aniston has to be a Jolie/Pitt fan? because that's not true.
My dislike for Jennifer Aniston has nothing to do with Jolie/Pitt. I'm sick of Jennifer's whining gets on my last nerve, the whole world has it tough.
So obvious Jennifer play too much into phony pr moves. I think she is a pr fake image. Nothing genuine.
I believe her pr team hire loads of fake poster to post all over the Internet to help sway the media's mind. Jennifer/Pr team prey on unstable lonely old divorce women who sit back and cry over their divorce. I find that disgusting.
All she care about is her hair and the way she looks. She is so superficial.
Disgusting is a women pushing 41 years old trying to look 20 and acting like a 15 year old. Aniston just looks very pathetic to me and that recent silver dress prove it.
The twirling hair just makes her look retarded not young.
She and her fake posters pretend it was only her that made Marley but really it was Christmas and a dog movie. The dogs made the movie.
If Jennifer is so rich and successful why don't she go take a long extended break to find herself and develop a real life instead of the fake one she leads. Stop hiring fake boy toys to fake a relationship with for your movie premiers.
Then may be she can stand on her own two feet and stop using the triangle.
Stop thinking about what's the youngest man she can pull. That's why she got mixed up with that d-bag John Mayer. Trying to show people she can get a young man, that seems to be how she measure her worth these days.
Aniston is a weak nothing women to me-that's why I don't like her. It has nothing to do with that other couple.
I would like to see her find a real person in her life to love and stand by that person (man or women I don't care which) stop living that phony Hollywood life and get a real one. Give us a Jennifer Aniston well adjusted person we can be proud of.
At some point Jennifer/fans are going to have to face the fact that it's Jennifer people don't like and it has nothing to do with Pitt/Jolie.

Posted by: Sheree3 | June 16, 2009 12:31 AM | Report abuse

Actually, caroleg1, I think it's Angina. And I think she looks like a cartoon character with the rubber lips. Hot? Not. Now Penelope Cruz is a different story; she can even be forgiven for flinging with the Scientology wacko.

Posted by: kabuki3 | June 16, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse