Posted at 11:00 AM ET, 06/16/2009

Dollars and Scents: New Fragrances from Reese Witherspoon, 50 Cent and More...

By Liz Kelly

Perfume aficionados take note: Four new celebrity fragrances will be hitting store shelves to compete with long-time celeb stink peddlars Britney Spears, Jennifer Lopez and Sarah Jessica Parker. Below a quick run-down of the new scents.

Reese Witherspoon poses with In Bloom. (Avon)

Reese Witherspoon's "In Bloom"
You loved her as June Carter Cash in "Walk the Line" and now you can smell like her, too. In November, Avon will launch In Bloom, a fragrance Witherspoon describes as "sensual" and "romantic" and "everything Abbie Cornish is not." (Okay. I added that last bit about Abbie Cornish)

What does it smell like? "I was really drawn by white flowers to get that sense of a steamy night somewhere in the South," said Witherspoon. "Definitely gardenia is a big thing for me because my father -- every Mother's Day or on my birthday -- would buy small bouquets or corsages for my mother and I."

50 Cent's "Power"
Power will be the first release by 50's newly-formed Lighthouse Beauty, a brand designed to capitalize on 50's proven marketability (he previously made a lucrative deal to promote Vitamin Water).

Said Lighthouse Beauty co-founder (and 50 manager) Chris Nighty, "The typical musician or actor might not know much about developing a fragrance or a skin care line, but he definitely wants to capitalize on his brand potential."

Queen Latifah's "Queen"
From the same company that brought us FiFi winner Paris Hilton's eight different perfumes, comes a fragrance from the one-time rapper turned actress.

Piers Morgan at the Flame launch. (Getty Images)

"For me, beauty really does start on the inside," said Latifah. "It's like a state of mind, a state of love if you will. So I see fragrance as just a natural expression of this state of love: scent expresses a woman's confidence and sensuality; it's how she embraces her body, her mind and her strength."

What does it smell like? "It smells delicious, making me edible!" Latifah told the New York Observer.

Piers Morgan's "Flame"
The "America's Got Talent" judge partnered with Burger King to release the novelty scent Flame in the U.K. The cologne's campaign features Morgan's head superimposed on a male model's body.

"It's a very manly smell. It's a real change from his-and-hers type scents," a spokesman for Burger King said.

What does it smell like? Grilled beef. (Suggestion: Don't wear this one camping.)

By Liz Kelly  | June 16, 2009; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrity Products, Insta-Polls
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Letterman Apologizes to Palin (Again); Katie Holmes Tapes 'SYTYCD' Performance
Next: Palin Accepts Letterman's Apology; Sean Penn Takes Acting Break

Comments

I said I would wear Queen Latifah's Queen. But people shouldn't read too much into that. I think I would like to smell someone else wearing that. Preferably Jessica Alba, when I cuff her.

Posted by: reddragon1 | June 16, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

50 cent better change his name if he wants to make any money.

Queen Latifah, I luv you, but you have to take it from me, people do not smell good on the inside.

I'm sure Reese's grandma will love the new perfume.

Posted by: hodie | June 16, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

According to the poll, 14% of people want to smell like grilled hamburgers. I don't know what to say, except maybe they had their first sexual experience in the broom closet at McDonald's.

Posted by: possum_pouch | June 16, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Can we count the Star Trek perfumes in with the celebrity fragrances. "Tiberius" has a picture of Shatner as Capt. Kirk on the box. I'm just hoping it doesn't smell like Shat.

I'm holding out for bacon perfume. That fragrance seems to motivate my husband. They got close with that grilled beef one....

Posted by: DCCubefarm | June 16, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

I dunno, Reese. Maybe you and I come from different places. When I think of a "steamy night somewhere in the South" I think of rotting garbage, stale beer and a hint of gunpowder wafting through the air.

Posted by: mdreader01 | June 16, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

"What does it smell like? No clue, but 50 does offer this clue: "I helped design the actual bottle and top," 50 told Jimmy Kimmel in a recent interview. "I had an opportunity to go to the fragrance house and smell the different juices."

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha,!

Posted by: jezebel3 | June 16, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I like the smell of bacon.

Posted by: pras40 | June 16, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Why not just bathe instead?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 16, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

The question should be which fragrance we'd be most likely to buy. While I wouldn't want to smell like a hamburger, I'd buy that over the other options.

Posted by: jfphile | June 16, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

When I think of "Lighthouse Beauty," I think of treacly oil paintings by the insipid Thomas Kinkade, not rapper 50 cent.

And when I think of Piers Morgan, I think of the smell of desparation as contestants stand before the judges, not a flame-broiled burger.

Posted by: mdreader01 | June 16, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mdreader01

Hehe! I think she meant the southeastern region of the US, not south central LA...

Posted by: VaLGaL | June 16, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to get that hamburger one for my husband. Mmmmm, grilled meat!

Posted by: VaLGaL | June 16, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

a-a-a-a-a-a-a-chooo!

Posted by: memphis1 | June 16, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mdreader01

Posted by: VaLGaL | June 16, 2009 1:04 PM
==========
Nice try, but I had New Orleans and Memphis on my mind.

Posted by: mdreader01 | June 16, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mdreader01

Streetcar.

Posted by: jezebel3 | June 16, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm confused, what's the difference between the Perfume that smells like an Edible Queen Latifah, and the one that smells like Grilled Hamburgers?

Posted by: VTDuffman | June 16, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Lighthouse Beauty? Backdoor Beauty's more like.

Posted by: possum_pouch | June 16, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Lighthouse Beauty=brass polish.

Posted by: jelo97 | June 16, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Lighthouse Beauty = seaweed + dead fish

Posted by: hodie | June 16, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Nice try, but I had New Orleans and Memphis on my mind.

Posted by: mdreader01
___

Yes, OK. I don't know much about Memphis, but I lived in New Orleans for several years and I do agree with your assesment, except that you left out the base scent of that lovely city, which is, of course, urine. Jogging there was particularly gag inducing...

Posted by: VaLGaL | June 16, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Next thing you know, Robert Duvall will be promoting a men's cologne named Napalm. The promo will be simple" Duvall, standing in a cavalry hat, looking into the camera, saying, "I love the smell of Napalm in the morning."

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | June 16, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Why not just bathe instead?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 16, 2009 12:31 PM
****************
We have a winner!

Posted by: jaybbub | June 16, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

(blush) Why thank you, jaybbub! Say, let's have an additional midweek shout-out (and Tii Bar toast) to The Swayze, Farrah and other celebs in the Lizard Island infirmary, OK? A votre santé!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 16, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Should read, Tiki Bar.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 16, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Why not just bathe instead?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 16, 2009 12:31 PM
=============
Because there are [Avon sponsored] lab studies that prove that all Avon fragrences repel mosquitoes.

Perhaps they repel cheating ex-husbands too.

Posted by: mdreader01 | June 16, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

There is a reason SSS (Skin-so-Soft) from Avon repels mosquitos. That stuff stinks, literally! I think it would repel cheating ex-husbands if it didn't drive them to cheat in the first place!

Posted by: hodie | June 16, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse