Posted at 12:53 PM ET, 06/25/2009

Farrah Fawcett Dies

By Liz Kelly

Farrah Fawcett in 2000. (Getty Images)

Farrah Fawcett lost her battle with cancer today when the 62-year-old actress died from complications related to anal cancer. People magazine is reporting that partner Ryan O'Neal was at her side at St. John’s Heath Center in Santa Monica, Calif.

Join me at 2 p.m. ET for this week's Celebritology Live chat to discuss Fawcett's life and work.

Gallery: Farrah Fawcett: Actress and Pop Culture Icon

By Liz Kelly  | June 25, 2009; 12:53 PM ET
Categories:  Celebrities
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Perez Hilton's Apology -- Too Little, Too Late?
Next: Breaking: Michael Jackson Dead -- LA Times Report

Comments

It was pretty obvious the end was near for Farrah when, after being sent home to die, she had to return to the hospital recently. She was too young to become so ill and die, but at least her suffering is finally over.

One thing that struck me about Farrah, in the film that she and her friend Alana Stewart made, was that she seemed to have a lot of loyal friends who stood by her during her long grueling illness. If that's accurate, then we should all be so lucky when the inevitable arrives.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 25, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

RIP, Farrah.

Posted by: Guest1234 | June 25, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

My son and millions of men his age have fond memories of a red suited, face smiling, hair blowing Farrah beaming down on them from the poster on their wall.

The strife is o'er . . .

Curmudgeon

Posted by: bmschumacher | June 25, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

RIP Jill Munroe. So very sad. The Post obit and gallery are great; I'd forgotten Farrah was on "The Partridge Family" once. Pretty good in "Logan's Run" too. (Side Note: Melissa Gilbert in that gallery photo of "Hollywood Wives" is scary!)

Hulu.com has full "Charlie's Angels" episodes, and I watched one the other night (season two or three, where Jill comes back to help rescue Kris from being kidnapped -- like the plot matters, ha ha). Farrah really was a stunning woman.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | June 25, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I so remember Farrah in the 70's, and I too wore her famous hairstyle. It was not until I saw the documentary of her fight with cancer that I really saw her as a person. So when I read today's headline, I was deeply effected and saddened.

Farrah, you gave it a good fight and I hope that you now have peace. My heart and prayers go out to your family and friends. You will be missed, but remembered.

Posted by: bobbikalule | June 25, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Let's remember her work.

She came to fame as Jill Monroe on "Charlie's Angels" but was really responsible for launching the whole victim movie genre with her groundbreaking role in "The Burning Bed."

But if you really want to see her at her very best, rent "Double Exposure: The Story of Margaret Bourke White" or "The Apostle.

And of course, there was her first foray into the "reality TV" genre, "Chasing Farrah" which aired on TV Land in 2005.

She was a pioneer and a true TV star.

Posted by: mdreader01 | June 25, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Charlie really has an angel now. RIP Farrah.

Posted by: epjd | June 25, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Another reason for me to hunt down my copy of Logan's Run. Or find out if Saturn 3 is on DVD.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 25, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Yello, Saturn 3 is available on Netflix for online viewing and Logan's Run is available there on DVD.

No such luck with Double Exposure. I had no idea there was a Margaret Bourke-White biopic. She was a great photographer.

Posted by: byoolin1 | June 25, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

TMZ is reporting that Michael Jackson has died.

Posted by: byoolin1 | June 25, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Holy Crap on the TMZ that MJ died.

Posted by: suzannepdc | June 25, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

NPR just reported that the LA Times is saying that MJ "is in a coma."

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 25, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

So sorry about the loss of Farrah Fawcett- I remember flipping my hair and feathering like hers. She was a hottie that guys wanted to get with and that girls wanted to imitate.

Posted by: plamar1031 | June 26, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse