Posted at 10:43 AM ET, 06/11/2009

For Jennifer Aniston, a Title for the Dogs

By Liz Kelly

Aniston with a pup in 'Marley & Me.' (20th Century Fox)

Sometime embattled good girl Jennifer Aniston may have yet another reason to question her self-worth. This week, Pet Sitters International (a trade group for professional pet sitters) awarded Aniston honorary membership based on her role in last year's "Marley & Me" and a poll in which readers selected her as the celebrity they would most like to watch Fido while they're out of town.

Which is cute and all, until you consider that Aniston is forever destined to be contrasted with Angelina Jolie, who earned a title this week, too, as the woman most women want to sleep with and last week knocked Oprah down a peg to become Forbes's Most Powerful Celebrity.

From the Pet Sitters press release:

As Marley's "mom" in the hit movie, "Marley and Me," Aniston put the spotlight on the depth of the human-animal bond between people and their pets. In the real world, she shares her life with a pair of pampered pooches, a Corgi-terrier cross named Norman, and Dolly, a white German shepherd. Lucky dogs!

I bet Angelina's feeling pretty sheepish right about now for her support of humanitarian causes, membership in the Council on Foreign Relations and outspoken call for prosecutions of the perpetrators of the Darfur genocide.

It should be noted that the dog-friendly star has a bevy of charitable causes she quietly supports, including GLAAD, Habitat for Humanity, Project A.L.S. and the U.S. Campaign for Burma.

Aniston was unavailable for comment, but Courtney Klein, a communications specialist with Pet Sitters, said yesterday that the group hasn't had any direct contact with Aniston, though they did send her a letter, certificate and invitation to the group's annual convention -- which is set to rock San Diego in February 2010. Here's to hoping the Oscars won't cause a scheduling conflict.

By Liz Kelly  | June 11, 2009; 10:43 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Prejean Calls Dismissal 'Political'; Paris Hilton Single Again
Next: Madonna Malawi Adoption Approved; Heidi Pratt Posing for Playboy

Comments

When I think pets, I think Jen.

Posted by: reddragon1 | June 11, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Jen's a good choice, especially considering the embarrassment Pet Sitters Int'l suffered over their 2007 honoree, Michael Vick.

Posted by: byoolin1 | June 11, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Another phrase that I didn't know existed in English: "a trade group for professional pet sitters."

I wonder how much a subscription to their magazine is.

Posted by: byoolin1 | June 11, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Oh, my God. Just stop it.

STOP comparing two successful, compassionate women by their connection to Brad Pitt.

They're more than "Pitt Girls." If they're all that -- and according to this article, they are -- then afford them the respect you seem to think they deserve.

Posted by: cfow1 | June 11, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

I'm a pet sitter (though not a member of PSI) and this post kinda hurts my feelings. :( [I'll try to get over it, though]

Byoolin1: there's actually two of them! :D Believe it or not, it's a big industry.

Posted by: etacar11 | June 11, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Hey, at least Jen Aniston seems like more of an approachable, real person than ice-queen Jolie. I think being recognized as being compassionate toward animals is a greater thing than humanitarian work simply because pets are forgotten in times of need.

Posted by: IrishFox | June 11, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

"I bet Angelina's feeling pretty sheepish" -- oh the PAIN.

Why the Anihate? Looks like you sharpened your claws before writing this post. I don't know, just seems a little too catty (doggy?).

If anything, Aniston comes across as more of a real person and less of a cold icon. (Angelina and Nicole Kidman should have a freeze-off, IMHO.)

Then again, I didn't see "Marley & Me" (I thought the book was insufferably precious). Perhaps if I had, I too would be drooling and itching to honor her also.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | June 11, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Jennifer Anniston is definitely the celebrity I would have watch my pets while I ran off with Angelina Jolie instead of vice versa. Let's pray I have to make such a Sophie's Choice decision someday.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 11, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I'm no luvjen, but I actually like Jennifer Aniston, that being said, I wish she would stop talking about her failed marriage. Its been a few years, get over it already. Maybe she should have a chat with Debbie Reynolds about how to behave after your husband leaves you for another woman.

Posted by: zn123 | June 11, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Hey IrishFox, didn't mean to be a copycat. What you said.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | June 11, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Didn't anniston recently get the "celebrity most people would like to have a drink with" seems better than having all the women in the world want to sleep with you...

Posted by: spg2 | June 11, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Let's see, Jen supports just as many good causes, is not batguano crazy, does not collect kids and actually has a fairly stable lifestyle (except for the whole dating John Mayer thang). So, yeah, Angelina should be chagrined. Jen is showing her how it should it be done, instead of making it just another part of your star image.

Posted by: epjd | June 11, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how much a subscription to their magazine is.

Posted by: byoolin1 | June 11, 2009 11:00 AM
===========
Don't know. But I'm sure the pages of their magazine can do double duty.

Posted by: mdreader01 | June 11, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Spg2, speak for yourself.

Posted by: reddragon1 | June 11, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Me too, etacar11. :)

Amen, epjd.

I'll go on the record as saying I'd WAYYYYY rather have the honor bestowed to Jen. I also like how she supports a bunch of causes but doesn't hold herself up as some kind of holier-than-thou "role model" (hmph). She does her thing because she believes in it and isn't a publicity wh*re. Unlike someone else mentioned a lot on this blog.

Posted by: Californian11 | June 11, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

"a bevy of charitable causes she quietly supports"...that "quiet" support is what makes her classier than Angelina Jolie. I like a celebrity who is quiet. I don't even read this blog for the celebrities - I like the witticisms.

Posted by: mlc2 | June 11, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I like both Angelina and Jen equally but I do think that Jennifer seems to be more apporachable. maybe it's her smile? I donno. But I do think they need to stop being compared to each other.

I would totally have Jen watch my dogs- which is a HUGE deal for me.

Posted by: Guest1234 | June 11, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: yellojkt | June 11, 2009 11:45 AM
--------------------------------------------

Interesting reference, in that today is the birthday of William Styron, the author of Sophie's Choice.

Before anyone runs off with Angelina, shouldn't they do diligence and find out from Brad whether Angelina really has sugar t**s?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | June 11, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and kisses to your new dawg too Jen. Now, cough-cough, Pitt, you are such a loser dude, GAL.

Rhiannon...

Posted by: truthhurts | June 11, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

After a little research, this association did not honor Michael Vick in 2007. Just thought that needed to be noted.

Posted by: dcliving1 | June 11, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Liz stop hatin' on Jen. She doesn't even open her mouth and you find a way to sh*t on her. Your post wasn't witty, funny, or cute. Just weird.

Posted by: caroleg1 | June 11, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Actually dcliving1, it did not need to be noted. You were the only one that didn't pick up on the fact that it was a joke.

Posted by: zn123 | June 11, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Jen contributes to charity quietly and that's a good thing, but the causes that Angelina cares about (Darfur, child prostitution, et al) are things that need to be talked about loudly and clearly!! People need to know. Angelina is a star and when she talks, people listen. There's a difference.

Posted by: elewis29 | June 11, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Why use a nice thing about someone as an opportunity to slam them? Just seems immature and mean. If the author found this so insignificant and small, why write a whole post about it?

Posted by: lucy23 | June 11, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Fake=fake=fake=fake that's why she has a big pr team to set up a fake a image. She is very Pathetic.

Posted by: Sheree3 | June 13, 2009 12:38 AM | Report abuse

Desperate! her pr team is busy to get her in the media light. She is so fake.

Posted by: Sheree3 | June 13, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse