Posted at 7:30 AM ET, 06/29/2009

Jackson's Doctor Questioned by Police; Pitchman Billy Mays Dead at 50

By Liz Kelly

Jamie Foxx performs a tribute to Michael Jackson at Sunday's BET Awards. (Getty Images)

Monday

Michael Jackson: Janet Jackson, Jamie Foxx lead BET Awards tribute | Video... Cardiologist questioned by police; lawyer says doctor did not administer Demerol shot... Papa Joe Jackson says kids a priority... Paul Theroux describes his trip to Neverland... Elizabeth Taylor releases statment... Magazine seeks six-word obits ("Michael, you beat it too soon.")... Public and private funeral services expected later this week.

Headlines: Infomercial pitchman Billy Mays found dead in Florida home... Farrah Fawcettt funeral to take place Tuesday... "Ugly Betty's" Ana Ortiz gives birth to baby girl... Kendra Wilkinson marries NFL player Hank Baskett... Eddie Van Halen remarries... Heather Mills opens vegan restaurant.

Pix: Madonna and new daughter Mercy... New engagement ring for Britney Spears?... Lindsay Lohan's birthday pool party.

Jackson Rumor Mill: Autopsy revealed needle marks, nearly bald head, claims London tabloid... Former nanny says she pumped Michael Jackson's stomach many times... Mother and sister search Jackson's home for cash... Debbie Rowe says Jackson not father of her children... Jackson's final rehearsal to be released as DVD... Neverland may be converted to shrine for fans.

Rumor Mill: Bradley Cooper says Jennifer Aniston is "just a friend"... Megan Fox and Shia LaBeouf dating?... Leonardo DiCaprio's sneakers stolen outside Kyoto temple.

By Liz Kelly  | June 29, 2009; 7:30 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Michael Jackson: Separating the Artist from the Art
Next: What Will Happen to Michael Jackson's Kids?

Comments

"Papa Joe Jackson says kids a priority..." For instance, they're probably waaaaay behind on their beatings.

Six-LETTER obit: "A-B-C, D.O.A."

Small comfort for Billy Mays's widow: At least she'll have access to all kinds of modern miracle cleaning products to take care of the mess.

"Heather Mills opens vegan restaurant." Like the owner, the menu is mostly nuts.

The paragraph that begins "Autopsy revealed needle marks" makes me feel like my A-B-C D.O.A. joke wasn't all that tasteless, after all.

Posted by: byoolin1 | June 29, 2009 8:10 AM | Report abuse

"Debbie Rowe says Jackson not father of her children."-- Should be filed under NON news.

RIP- Billy Mays. I bought OrangeGlo and Oxyclean because of you.

There have been too many RIP's lately. wassup with that?

Posted by: Guest1234 | June 29, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Bradley Cooper misspelled 'beard'.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 29, 2009 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Like a complete asshat, I bought Ka-boom from Billy's pitch. Totally didn't do what it did on the commercial. It does however, get hard water stains off fiberglass showers, with 1000 lbs of elbow grease. With Vince Offer disgraced, who will be infomercial king now?

Posted by: jelo97 | June 29, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Billy Mays: HI! BILLY MAYS HERE! TODAY I AM GOING TO TELL YOU HOW TO GET YOUR WHITE CLOTHES EVEN WHITER THANKS TO---

St. Peter: Er, Billy? Listen....

Billy: WOW! THAT ALB IS WHITE! DID YOU USE OXYCLEAN! WHERE AM I?

St. Peter: No, I didn't us-- listen, I don't think you understand---

Billy: OXYCLEAN WORKS ON ALL KINDS OF FABRICS. FROM COTTON TO....

St. Peter: Farrah, Ed, Michael, one of you want to take this one?

Michael Jackson: Hi. Billy. I am Michael Jackson.

Billy: WOW! NOW THAT IS WHITE!

[R.I.P. Billy.]

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | June 29, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

The Jackson story is not adding up. One story says his oldest son saw him collapse in the living room, but the doctor says he found him in bed with a pulse. Poor kid. But, the doctor so knows something.

As for the nanny -- hey lady maybe if you had done something like call a hospital and sent him to rehab rather than just pump his stomach he might be alive. Yeah, the gravy train would have stopped sooner, but it is stopped now.

The celebs are dropping like flies. All the celebs better carry their lucky rabbit feet for awhile.

Posted by: epjd | June 29, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Someone stole Leo's sneakers outside a shrine? Is nothing sacred?

Posted by: pras40 | June 29, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Okay, anyone else ready to write into Andrew Alexander (aka, The Post's Ombudsman) about the incredible amount of Michael Jackson coverage?

Yes, it's sad. Yes, he was culturally influential in the 1980's. Yes, his death wasn't cut and dried. But oh my God, enough is enough. I can't believe you can buy a god-damned memorial paper. What is the Post now, People magazine?

Liz, yes, you get a pass, this is Celebritology. I think your massive, MJ themed version this morning on top of all the topics on Friday just pushed me over the edge...

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | June 29, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Yellowjk- What-- Bradley Cooper is gay? I totally did not see that one.

Posted by: Guest1234 | June 29, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

I said they was dropping like flies.

Gale Storm -- My Little Margie -- yesterday.

Fred Travelena - Comedian -- today.

That rounds out another 3. Let's hope that is it for awhile.

Posted by: epjd | June 29, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Infomercial pitchman Billy Mays found dead in Florida home.

Proving, once and for all, that deaths do NOT automatically come in 3s. Enough with the superstition cr@p already!

Farrah Fawcettt funeral to take place Tuesday.

Bravo to her family and friends for keeping the service private and showing a little dignity and respect.

Anna Ortiz gives birth to baby girl.

Liz, please correct the mom's first name, which is spelled Ana. Congratulations to the new parents (who were already married to one another before conceiving, which seems to be becoming ever rarer for first children nowadays, alas). And they even chose a lovely name, Paloma Louise.

Chasmo
enough is enough

Agreed. Last night someone on a national newscast claimed MJ was the first totally crossover musician, prompting Mr. P to ask what about Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder? Of course it's sad whenever anyone dies prematurely (Billy Mays, too), and I have no doubt but that the grief of their families and friends is deep and genuine. But enough already. Through our power of the purse we can control the deluge, by refusing to buy what we consider excessive.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 29, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Bag the idea of transforming Neverland into a shrine, give me a book of all the obituaries instead. This stuff is fascinating. Paul Theroux?! What's next?

* Tom Peters: "In Search of Michael Jackson" -- from the crib to the rented crib.
* James Mitchener: "Gary" -- begins with an exploration of the tectonic plates beneath the Indiana birthplace of MJ.
* Suze Orman: "Make Me Wanna 'Scream' !" -- don't spend that cash making multi-million dollar videos with your sister; put it in an IRA instead.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | June 29, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

"I can't believe you can buy a god-damned memorial paper. What is the Post now, People magazine?"

To many, MJ was their Elvis, so I can understand it. At least the Post is selling actual papers. CNN has been selling for a while now their story HEADLINES printed on a t-shirt (look for the t-shirt icon next to the story headline). Talk about craven, but welcome to media revenue generation in the 21st century I guess.

Posted by: MStreet1 | June 29, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

"Billy: WOW! THAT ALB IS WHITE! DID YOU USE OXYCLEAN! WHERE AM I?"
Posted by: td_in_baltimore
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

::is repressing moist snorts of laughter:: It's terrible that this is just about what was going through my head when I heard about Billy Mays. Well played, Mr. td. And Godspeed, Mr. Mays- I'm sure Heaven will never be whiter or brighter.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | June 29, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

MStreet
To many, MJ was their Elvis.

Ahem, to some of us, even Elvis wasn't our Elvis.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 29, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

I don't get it either Nosy, but there are still people out there buying Elvis memorial plates, getting his face tattooed on various body parts and visiting Graceland. I think Michael Jackson will have the same type of followers.

Posted by: MStreet1 | June 29, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Kids, Michael Jackson is the most famous man in the world right now, like it or not.
There are kids in Southeast Asian Jungles, Siberia and Sub-Saharan Africa wearing Michael Jackson T-shirts.
He's a hero to many, many non-white people. And most of the world isn't white.
Political power and scientific achievement aren't the only valid ways to influence a culture. Like it or not, he was a very, very big deal.

Posted by: otherliz | June 29, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Apparently there were a few young females who even committed suicide after Rudolph Valentino died young (May 6, 1895 – August 23, 1926). I just don't get it.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 29, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

For some reason I just can't bring the snark today. Maybe the Monday blahs?

Do any of you think it's even remotely possible that there are semi-normal people in the lives of Michael Jackson's kids who will just love them and bring them up to be happy adults?

Or am I living on Planet Claire?

Posted by: jaybbub | June 29, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

From the looks of her, LiLo eating birthday cake was only a photo op. (Fugly shoes, BTW.) And SamRo bears a striking resemblance to Kate Moss' druggie ex (and that's NOT a compliment).

After Shia's Oedipal revelations in the press, what woman in her right mind would date him?

Posted by: Californian11 | June 29, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

So what is to become of the charity that Michael Jackson started with Richard Pryor now that they are both gone? You remember, "The Ignited Negro College Fund".

Posted by: RightWinger1 | June 29, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Yellowjk- What-- Bradley Cooper is gay? I totally did not see that one.

Posted by: Guest1234 |
-------------------------
I wrote a blog article a couple of years ago saying that I was gay for Bradley Cooper (and I still am). That post been the beneficiary of much google searching on the issue. I have no idea whether that is based on any insider knowledge or just wishful thinking on the part of googlers.

Because of that, I started paying attention to interviews and the like with and about him. He is very discreet about his personal life and the general perception has been ambiguous at best, so I've placed him on a low level closet watch (much lower than say the Scientology trifecta of Tom, Will and John). Confirming evidence either way would be appreciated.

In the mean time, it's just fun to vaguely throw that out there every now and then.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 29, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Liz, Thanks for correcting Ana's name!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 29, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

BTW, what is a *nanny* doing pumping someone's stomach?!

This just gets more and more sordid ... sad. Wonder why MJ was bald.

Posted by: Californian11 | June 29, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

BUT WAIT!!!

THERE' MORE!

IF YOU ORDER AN OXY-FUNERAL TODAY, WE'LL SEND YOU ANOTHER FUNERAL, ABSOLUTELY FREE!!

THAT'S RIGHT!

YOU GET 2 OF EVERYTHING: THE CASKET, THE FLORAL ARRANGEMENT, THE HEARSE, THE GRAVESTONE, EVEN THE PREACHER!! ALL FOR ONLY $999.95!!

YOU'D NORMALLY PAY THAT MUCH JUST FOR THE FLORAL ARRANGEMENT!!

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | June 29, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Californian11 | June 29, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

*******************************************

Cali - you're assuming that Megan Fox is in her right mind to begin with. There's been some pretty outrageous things coming from her lately too.

td - your first post... LMFAO!!!!!!

Posted by: ChaoticCracker | June 29, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

While watching some of the MJ coverage, hoping to catch some news in between, they were interviewing a woman who said that his death was the worst thing to happen to her. That got me thinking about what celebrity death would cause that great of an impact. Could not think of one. Sure it would be sad but I it would get over it.

Posted by: zn123 | June 29, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

zn

Agreed, although I suspect manner of death, if it were particularly senseless or either literally or figuratively struck "close to home," could increase the impact somewhat.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 29, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

"Because I'm dead'
I'm dead'
Wooooo!"

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | June 29, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

BTW, what is a *nanny* doing pumping someone's stomach?!

Posted by: Californian11 | June 29, 2009 11:26 AM

-------------------------------------------
Some people will do anything to score a cheap fix.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | June 29, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I said:

MStreet1 said:

Wow, I didn't know that. But I've considered CNN to be half entertainment outlet/half news outlet in recent years.

The Washington Post is a newspaper of record. I don't consider the death of a cultural icon with a severely checkered past to be something memorial-edition worthy. Inauguration of the first black president? Not a huge fan of Barack Obama's politics, but I got that. That was an event with historical significance.

The natural (if probably accelerated) death of a cultural icon - while meaningful to many - is not of historical significance. Poignant and shocking perhaps, but not overly significant to anyone outside of Michael Jackson's friends and family.

Besides, you can do what lots of people have done since newspapers were printing - just save a copy of the relevant paper. I have them for several different major events - 9/11 (both the Post and the NY Times), the Clinton impeachment, the Space Shuttle Columbia disintegration. My parents have them for things like the first moon walk, Kennedy's assassination, and the Space Shuttle challenger disaster. But NONE of these are special "Commemorative" editions. They're just a snapshot of the news itself.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | June 29, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Megan and Shia clearly deserve each other.

Sas that was low, vile and disgusting. Keep up the good work!

Posted by: reddragon1 | June 29, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

You can thank Andy Warhol for pointing out that everyone is getting 15 minutes of fame. So if that is the case, we need to up the "celebrity deaths happen in 3's" dictum. They come in waves. And June, 2009 is turning out to be a bad, bad month.

Fred Travelina had non-Hodgkins lymphoma. Very sad.

Posted by: mdreader01 | June 29, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

BREAKING FAKE NEWS!

TMZ is reporting that the so-called leaked Jackson autopsy results are fake.

Posted by: mdreader01 | June 29, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 29, 2009 10:05 AM
================
Michael may have been the first to physically cross over through the powers of plastic surgery. In which case, being blind to all of that was a big benefit to both Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles.

My dad, if he were still around, would tell you that in his world, the first true crossover musical artist was Louis Armstrong. Nat King Cole had a major network variety show in the 50's.

My theory, which is also shared with Peggy Noonan as it turns out, is that Michael Jackson does not represent a first as much as he represents a last. Very few artists today have the widespread popularity of Elvis, Sinatra, or Michael Jackson. Our culture is too fragmented.

Posted by: mdreader01 | June 29, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

MDreader, I'm sorry that the logic of your theory has been undercut by Peggy Noonan's endorsement.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | June 29, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | June 29, 2009 12:56 PM
======================

I appreciate that. Thanks.

Posted by: mdreader01 | June 29, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Or (in no particular order) Cab Calloway, Nat King Cole, Chubby Checker, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, Ella Fitzgerald, Lena Horne, Little Richard, Isaac Hayes, Johnny Mathis, Sammy Davis Jr. ....

Posted by: memphis1 | June 29, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I suspect it centers on the definition of "totally" crossover artist.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 29, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Murray has NO dea Number Nor License., Michaels Dead Body Photo'd
Heres Michaels Dead body On Gurny:

Notice Its Nighttime. Obvious question, why was anyone inside home, in Michaels bedroom, specificlly, Murray, HAs NO License Nor dea number, its not hard to believe that claims to not have written prescription. Probably designer look alike drugs(called Police Drugs), known as: Diethlyamide, made to look like drugs mentined. Short lived trance effect is good indication of that.
Most likely Murray entered Michaels bedroom, suffocated Michael Jackson with Rubber Bag over head(Procedure Pathologies Like Cardiac Arrest), standard medical termination device, then got caught, late at night, Getting Thru While Family & Michael Was asleep. yet

coroner is nO md ethier. Bet is PEPSI ruined Michael Jacksons face when contract was disputed, Killed michael Jackson when Michael was about to start new catalog of songs. Pepsi is Russian company & thats :From Russia With LOVE. Gangster Mayhem & Killing, enforced thru others by False Promises.
Signed:PHYSICIAN THOMAS STEWART von DRASHEK M.D.

posted by thomasxstewart on Jun 29, 09 at 10:47 am

Posted by: ThomasStewart1 | June 29, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Based on the above plus the following, the Lizard Island astronomer needs to check and report back on whether the moon is full.

Reports of Britney Spears' death untrue
Not a good week for Britney Spears, as she lost full custody of her two children to ex-husband Kevin Federline. Pic:...
A hacker disseminates false message on her Twitpic account

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 29, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Re celebrity deaths coming in threes--amazing how quickly everyone forgot David Carradine. Maybe that's a good thing, considering the circumstances. However, if you count Billy Mays, we've had FIVE in a very short time (DC, McMahon, Fawcett, MJ, Mays), which means the cosmos is due another one shortly if the wave of three theory holds true.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | June 29, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | June 29, 2009 3:18 PM

Sorcerer's Cat, I'm with you on this one. We're due another headline-worthy death, and soon. Yes, two other entertainers died over the weekend, but frankly I had never heard of either of them, and I doubt I'm alone.

Posted by: northgs | June 29, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | June 29, 2009 3:18 PM
==============
There are just too many celebrities. We can't use the "rule of 3" anymore. In June alone, we lost koko Taylor, David Carradine, Dom DeLouise, Kenny Rankin, Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett, Michael Jackson, Billy Mays and Fred Travelina.

Not to mention the fact that we lost NASCAR driver, Carlos Pardo, in a crash; the second president of Gabon dropped dead from a heart attack; and some guy in South Africa who claimed to be the world's oldest man died of natural causes.

Posted by: mdreader01 | June 29, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

"Death of the King of Pop":

Snark that Lizards can love.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 29, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

mdreader01, Being crowned World's Oldest Man (or Woman) seems like a veritable death sentence.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 29, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

To many, MJ was their Elvis.

Posted by: MStreet1 | June 29, 2009 10:08 AM
==============
Many pharmacists, as it turns out.

Posted by: mdreader01 | June 29, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Even IMDb can't keep up; Fred Travelena isn't listed yet (but BILLY MAYS! is):

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | June 29, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

To many, MJ was their Elvis.
Posted by: MStreet1 | June 29, 2009 10:08 AM

Also pathologists who perform autopsies. Not to mention "ripped from the headlines" criminal procedural shows.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 29, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse