Posted at 8:10 AM ET, 06/23/2009

Ed McMahon Dies; Jon and Kate Separate; Chris Brown Pleads Guilty to Assault

By Liz Kelly

BREAKING: Ed McMahon's agent confirms that the longtime Johnny Carson sidekick died this morning at 86. [KTLA] -- 8:41 a.m. ET

Update: Here's the AP version of the story with a quote from McMahon's publicist. -- 8:58 a.m. ET

----

Chris Brown leaves the Los Angeles Superior Court after pleading guilty to one count of felony assault. (AP)

Tuesday

Headlines: Jon and Kate Gosselin separating after 10 years of marriage and eight kids (Video)... Farrah Fawcett back in hospital; Ryan O'Neal says he and Fawcett will marry... Christian Bale says there may not be another "Batman" movie... Stephen Baldwin leaves "I'm a Celebrity" after bugs lay eggs under his skin... Jessica Simpson lands new reality show... Mel Gibson's girlfriend releases video for first single... Kevin Federline owes $14K in back taxes... Kelly Osbourne penning advice book.

Crime Watch: Chris Brown pleads guilty to assault of Rihanna; won't serve any jail time... Black Eyed Peas manager charged with assaulting Perez Hilton (though GLAAD wants Hilton to apologize for hurling gay slurs at Will.i.am | NSFW footage of altercation)... Lindsay Lohan ticketed for loud late night music.

Pix: Drew Barrymore and Justin Long apparently big Marlins fans... Paris Hilton's huge sunglasses... TomKat on hand to watch Cameron Diaz get Walk of Fame star... Reese Witherspoon and Jake Gyllenhaal sport matching gym gear.

Rumor Mill: Paris Hilton discovers secret video recording equipment in Dubai hotel room... Amy Winehouse calls St. Lucia pub proprietor "mummy."

Non-News: Anna Faris not married yet.

---

Best Pet Tricks! Submit your videos for a chance to claim bragging rights.

Coming This Week: The return of The "Lost" Hour -- joing Jen Chaney and me for a summer-long review of seasons 1 and 2. Start watching now. Start chatting Thursday at 3 p.m. ET.

By Liz Kelly  | June 23, 2009; 8:10 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Many Faces of Sacha Baron Cohen
Next: When I Met Ed McMahon

Comments

Prediction: their new series, "Jon & Kate + 8 Lawyers" is going to be a smash.

Maye they should try that old standby when people find their marriage in trouble: have another kid. Nine's the charm, I hear.

"Christian Bale says there may not be another "Batman" movie." Yeah, and byoolin says there may not be another sunrise. We have about equal odds of being right.

Jessica Simpson lands new reality show... I've heard great things about "Horribly Untalented Girl With Big Cans." Well, I've heard that she's got big cans.

I can't help but wonder how many copies "Kelly Osbourne's How To Dress For A Job Interview" will sell.

"Paris Hilton discovers secret video recording equipment in Dubai hotel room." If that were true, there wouldn't be rumours about Doug Reinhardt riding her *coattails*.

"Amy Winehouse calls St. Lucia pub proprietor "mummy.""
Future News: St. Lucia pub proprietor calls Amy Winehouse an ambulance.

That's delightful Non-News about Anna Faris. I'm sure she won't not make some guy a not great wife someday not very soon.

Posted by: byoolin1 | June 23, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Hey-o. :(

Posted by: byoolin1 | June 23, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

RIP Ed. :(

RE: The Gosslins. I wished they would have quit the show to focus on their family and try to work it out w/ out cameras around. I guess fame and a paycheck is more important. Then- IMO, if they still could not work it out, separate.

Posted by: Guest1234 | June 23, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Oh- and a total EWWWWWWWWW about Scott Baldwin. Now I'm going to be paranoid about flies laying eggs under my skin (again).

Posted by: Guest1234 | June 23, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Errr-- Stephen Baldwin. More coffee please.

Posted by: Guest1234 | June 23, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

All this talk about eggs is making me want breakfast.

Posted by: byoolin1 | June 23, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Do you think somewhere in the afterlife Johnny Carson is announcing, 'Heeeere's Eddie!'?

Who is this Scott Baldwin Guest1234 speaks of? Is there something about the surname Baldwin that causes insects to lay eggs under one's skin?

Posted by: jes11 | June 23, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

"Stephen Baldwin leaves "I'm a Celebrity" after bugs lay eggs under his skin"

To be fair to the bug, it thought it was laying its eggs in a pile of dung.

Posted by: MStreet1 | June 23, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

So who's the first to come up with a Carnac routine to honor Ed? I hope Phil Hartman is at the Pearly Gates so that when Ed says, "Is this Heaven?" Phil can respond, "You. Are Correct. Sir."

Cameron Diaz has a star on the Walk of Fame? For what? Her hair in "There's Something About Mary?" And Tom Cruise is there to celebrate? I'm still hoping for the time back I lost watching those two in "Vanilla Sky." Blecch.

Can I tell you how completely annoyed I am right now at Jon and Kate Gosselin? A judge should lock those two in a room with a coupla Super Bowl winning football coaches, a Super Nanny, Shmuley Boteach, the Mystery Science Theatre 3000 guys and the full canon of the J&K+8 series.

Make those two watch every single frickin' episode of the show while the coaches, nanny and rabbi start and stop the tapes to illustrate where the show (and their marriage) went off the rails. (Hint: It was somewhere around the free, exclusive trip to Disney. Or the billion-dollar house. Or. . . .)

Oh, the MST3K guys? They're just around for comic relief. Because Jon and Kate could use a laugh or 200. And TLC can air that instead while J&K are taking time off to repair their marriage like they should have done months ago.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | June 23, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Per Ed McMahon - rest in peace, big guy.

Per Stephen Baldwin and the Costa Rican jungle:

I did some field work in the Costa Rican rain forest once, about this time of year. Know what you wear out there? Boots. With socks. And long pants tucked into the socks. And long sleeved shirts - preferably with a mandarin collar buttoned up - with the cuffs tied off or inserted into work gloves. And a brimmed hat to keep the bugs from above getting into your hair. Underneath you use a layer of bug spray and then you hose the whole outfit down with more.

The bugs there are nasty - one particular biting insect inserts an anticoagulant in when it bites you so the bites swell up like chicken pox, are always bleeding the tiniest bit and itch like hell. And those are the GOOD bugs to have bite you.

(My favorite bug incident? The fist sized beetle. Second favorite? We had a shower at our camp. I got in, turned on the water, went to reach for the soap I had put in there seconds before, and a katydid four inches tall was sitting on it. Harmless, sure, but it looked like something out of Starship Troopers)

If the producers of the show (I don't watch it and only know it's in Costa Rica from all the insane Speidi coverage you couldn't avoid) didn't provide these people with bug spray? Shame on them.

Per matching gym-wear:

Jeez, lighten up. My husband and I occasionally and accidentally both wear jeans and the same colored t-shirt (white, black, blue), or khakis and a white shirt of some form. It happens in any relationship. And gym clothes come in a fairly standard palette of colors, to boot, so it's more likely there.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | June 23, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah - good for GLAAD for going after Perez Hilton, too.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | June 23, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Liz, I mean Elizabeth, I wish you would have warned us that the GLAAD link about Perez Hilton was Not Safe for Eyes. Yech, pass the brain bleach.

I don't have the words to properly express just how much I wish Perez Hilton would go away. Seriously, what a parasite.

Posted by: ASinMoCo | June 23, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

KARNAK THE MAGNIFICENT: Johnny Carson, Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett.

ED MCMAHON: Johnny Carson, Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett. Ho-ho!

KARNAK: [glares at ED] May your coffin be mistaken for an upscale Dumpster.

ED: HAH! Yes! [pause] Johnny Carson, Ed McMahon, Ron Jeremy.

KARNAK: [tears open envelope] Name three stiffs.

ED: HEY-O!

Posted by: byoolin1 | June 23, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

MAN! Totally blew it in the editing. I MEANT:

KARNAK THE MAGNIFICENT: Johnny Carson, Ed McMahon, Ron Jeremy.

ED MCMAHON: Johnny Carson, Ed McMahon, Ron Jeremy. Ho-ho!

KARNAK: [glares at ED] May your coffin be mistaken for an upscale Dumpster.

ED: HAH! Yes! [pause] Johnny Carson, Ed McMahon, Ron Jeremy.

KARNAK: [tears open envelope] Name three stiffs.

ED: HEY-O!

Posted by: byoolin1 | June 23, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

byoolin, I can always count on you.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | June 23, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

I'm amazed at the Federline story. I thought that in order to owe $14,000, you would have had to have made over $14,000. Who knew the kid had such earning power.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 23, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

First, all DC based Lizards who have not done so, please check in so we know you were not on the train yesterday. Worried about you all.

As for I'm a Celebrity, I don't think the producers really knew what life in the jungle would be like. This is the third hospital trip.

I seriously want the judge to impose a gag order on the Jon and Kate divorce which means no tv show either. It would be in the best interest of the children.

Posted by: epjd | June 23, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

LTL is safe and sound, and still lurking....

Posted by: LTL1 | June 23, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

RIP Ed McMahon.

K-Fed owes $14K in back taxes? Is spousal support taxable income?

Paris Hilton's security team finds hidden videotaping/transmittal technology in her Dubai hotel room, and they're worried about *anti-American sentiment*?!?! ROFLMAO!!!!!

Posted by: northgs | June 23, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if Ed's ex-wives are mourning.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | June 23, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Who needs to watch Jon & Kate when a real train wreck occurs in your area?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | June 23, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

DC angle: Wasn't Ed McMahon a graduate of Catholic U? If there's an afterlife, presumably Tommy Newsom's up there leading the band for Ed and Johnny.

For ep and concerned others, an interesting view:
"Rihanna, Not Judge, Should Have Imposed 'Closure,' Abuse Expert Says'It's difficult when the criminal-justice system gets involved,' Bea Hanson tells MTV News."

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 23, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Because of Chasm's post above, I will NEVER go to Costa Rica. I seem to have some kind of chemistry that attracts biting insects. shudder.

Posted by: jelo97 | June 23, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

anything i could contribute would pale in comparison to MStreet and td.

think i'll just lurk today.

although, it did just occur to me that if there were a reality show putting stephen baldwin, jessica simpson, mel gibson's girlfriend, kevin federline and kelly osbourne in a room together 24/7 (and not a minute longer). I might watch it for 5 minutes or so.

Posted by: memphis1 | June 23, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I don't know how the TV people and their parents can possibly subject those children to handling divorce on camera. Do these people not have an ounce of empathy? Those poor kids! I never watched the show, never plan to, but even if I did I would boycott it now. It's utterly despicable.

RIP, Ed McMahon. He's one of a kind.

Posted by: DCCubefarm | June 23, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Whoa -- thanks, Chas, I will now officially cross Costa Rica off my list. And I thought the bugs in North Carolina were huge.

Cameron looks great in that photo. Love what she's wearing, and that she finally brushed her hair.

Wee Tom sure is short, isn't he.

Let's have a contest: who's the biggest whackadoodle of them all? Or can anyone really compete with Amy Wine-crazy?

Posted by: Californian11 | June 23, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Californian, I'd suggest that there are two subcategories of whackadoodleness: those fueled by substances (Winehouse), and those who claim not to be (Cruise).

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 23, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I'd also like to propose a compassionate exception for those sad cases who are genuinely ill beyond their ability to control.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 23, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

thanks ep for suggesting the role call. I was thinking of the lizards too, when I heard the news.

R.I.P. Ed McMahon. Enjoy that mansion in the sky.

Costa Rican bugs, bleeech! I will have nightmares now, Chasmosaur.

Posted by: hodie | June 23, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Yes, true. How about whackadoodleness fueled by substances, and whackadoodleness fueled by the Church of $cientolocult?

Posted by: Californian11 | June 23, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Californian, we also need a subcategory for pure eccentricity, which (to me) is the most intriguing.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 23, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I would cast my first vote in that category for Helena Bonham Carter, who I think is hilariously wacky (in a good way) and really cool.

Posted by: Californian11 | June 23, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

eccentricity is just crazy with money....

Posted by: memphis1 | June 23, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

blessings to ed mcmahon and his family.
will i.am's manager, who managed to punch perez hilton, should be awarded some sort of medal, hoisted upon shoulders and carried around the town square in a joyous celebration.
i'm off to dissuade my husband from the christmas costa rica trip. bugs are one thing, but ginormous bugs are something else. no thanks. shiver. shudder.

Posted by: frieda406 | June 23, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ASinMoCo
* * *
You'd think he could at least make himself useful and lay eggs under Heincer's skin.

-The Poster Formerly Known as Snarky Squirrel, checking in as requested since she's gathering nuts in D.C. for a couple weeks.

Posted by: 7900rmc | June 23, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Just read that J&K+8 is going on a hiatus until Aug. 3. not a huge amount of time for privacy, but a step in the right direction - just hope they keep stepping that way...

Posted by: suzannepdc | June 23, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

jelo97:

Unless you're planning to go to the middle of Costa Rica and do Volcano field work (which means going off any and every beaten path), you'd be fine :D

There are plenty of lovely places where you can view volcanos and drink margaritas while sitting in air conditioning. That, I highly recommend. ;)

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | June 23, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah - in the non-rainy season, it's less buggy. It's just this time of year is bug-central.

I actually love Costa Rica. Just stay on the beaches and take nice tours to pretty vacation spots and don't be a crazy geology chick ;)

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | June 23, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

What a pair of fraudsters! Though presumably TLC was well aware of this.

APNewsBreak: Gosselins lived apart for 2 years
By MICHAEL RUBINKAM
Associated Press Writer
ALLENTOWN, Pa. (AP) -- Kate Gosselin says in divorce papers that she and her husband Jon have lived "separate and apart" for at least two years. Gosselin filed for divorce Monday in Montgomery County Court in Pennsylvania, saying in papers that her 10-year marriage is "irretrievably broken."
The star of TLC's "Jon & Kate Plus 8" also says they have been unable to agree on dividing their assets.
The Gosselins had portrayed themselves as happy until the past few months, even renewing their wedding vows in Hawaii last year.
The divorce filing was obtained Tuesday by The Associated Press...

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 23, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Well sheesh, if we'd known they had renewed their vows, we would have known w/o a doubt their marriage was broken!

Posted by: Californian11 | June 23, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Chasm, you're a geo chick? I came this close to being a geo major. Now I just date geologists.

I guess my Publisher's Clearing House check might be a tad late now.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | June 23, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Former geo-chick. Injured myself doing paleo field work so now I'm an Internet-chick. ;)

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | June 23, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse