Posted at 8:30 AM ET, 06/25/2009

Jonathan Rhys Meyers Arrested in Airport Scuffle; Rihanna's Face Back on Cover Girl Ads

By Liz Kelly

Thomas Jane, star of the new HBO series 'Hung,' holds a cigar between his toes at the show's Los Angeles premiere on Wednesday. (AP)
Thursday

Headlines: Rihanna's Cover Girl ad campaign reinstated... Perez Hilton sues Black Eyed Peas manager in alleged assault; Zac Efron, Breckin Meyer spoof Hilton's video... Madonna tops list of top-earning musicians with $110 million haul in past 12 months... Lou Diamond Phillips wins "I'm a Celebrity"... Elisabeth Hasselbeck calls plagiarism charge "without merit"... Nick Jonas makes Capitol Hill appearance... Rosie O'Donnell launching morning talk radio show... Nick Lachey and Vanessa Minnillo split... Rachel Hunter's wedding plans scrapped... "True Blood's" Stephen Moyer calls Robert Pattinson the "Diet Coke" of vampires... "Real Housewife" Danielle Staub blocks sex tape release... Audrina Patridge, Aubrey O'Day land their own reality shows.

Crime Watch: Jonathan Rhys Meyers arrested in alleged drunken Paris airport scuffle... British pop singer Robbie Williams questioned in armed robbery.

Pix: Wraith-like Courtney Love.

Video: Kathie Lee Gifford shows off her nose-sucking talent.

Rumor Mill: Farrah Fawcett's condition worsens... New book claims Jackie Kennedy seduced Marlon Brando.

Chat Day: Join me at 2 p.m. ET for this week's Speidi-free edition of Celebritology Live. Then, stick around for the return of The "Lost" Hour -- at 3 p.m. ET we'll kick off our summer-long review of seasons 1 and 2.

By Liz Kelly  | June 25, 2009; 8:30 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Paris Hilton's New BFF?
Next: Perez Hilton's Apology -- Too Little, Too Late?

Comments

Elisabeth Hasslebeck calls plagarism charges "without merit."

Adding: "You know...like my career."
---

"Twilight" is the Diet Coke of Vampires, but "True Blood" is the Coke Zero of Vampires - zero calories, but more real Vampire Taste.
---

I mean, we all knew that Katie Lee sucked, but this is rediculous.

Posted by: VTDuffman | June 25, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

"Thomas Jane, star of the new HBO series 'Hung,' holds a cigar between his toes at the show's Los Angeles premiere on Wednesday. "

The show is about?

Posted by: jezebel3 | June 25, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Duffman sets the bar high with the very first comment. Well done!

Perez Hilton sues BEP mgr: the judge will take a dim view of his marking up a legal document with a grease pencil as though it were a picture on his website.

It says more about us than her that there's a potential market for a cellphone video of the Real Hosebag of NJ having sex.

"Audrina Patridge, Aubrey O'Day land their own reality shows." On the other hand, maybe a cellphone sex video ain't the worst that could happen.

"Kathie Lee Gifford shows off her nose-sucking talent." She's about three feet higher than where she needs to be to get the really good gigs.

Jackie Kennedy seduced Marlon Brando: She wore a pink dress; he brought his own butter.

Posted by: byoolin1 | June 25, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

The show is about?

Posted by: jezebel3 | June 25, 2009

I've actally seen previews of this new show "Hung" and whatever your dirty little minds were thinking, you're right.

Posted by: zn123 | June 25, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

The show is about?

Posted by: jezebel3 | June 25, 2009

Posted by: zn123 | June 25, 2009 9:26 AM

This show is about hanging freshly cut herbs from the garden in the kitchen to dry? Can't wait!!

Posted by: jelo97 | June 25, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Liz, for someone who said yesterday that not many photos were creative-caption-worthy these days, you shoulda saved the Thomas Jane photo for next week.

(Don't want to see "Hung"; don't want to know what it's about. It's not just that he looks like David Letterman in the photo, but for God's sake, man, put your shoes back on. And is that Alec Baldwin looking just a little jealous in the background?)

"Lou Diamond Phillips wins 'I'm a Celebrity'" -- it's done already?! Seems like a minute ago they were landing in Costa Rica. American Idol, take note.

"Nick Jonas makes Capitol Hill appearance" -- get off at the wrong Metro stop, did he? Pentagon is the other way.

"Rosie O'Donnell launching morning talk radio show" -- oh good. She needs an outlet for her views. I've always wondered what she thinks about world issues.

"Rachel Hunter's wedding plans scrapped" -- bummer. How come? Rod Stewart not available to sing, "O Promise Me"?

"British pop singer Robbie Williams questioned in armed robbery." -- after the way his much-heralded first U.S. release tanked, I can't say I'm surprised.

"Jackie Kennedy seduced Marlon Brando." -- byoolin, AHEM. I will take the high(er) road and say she made him an offer he couldn't refuse. (Oh dear, now I'm having visions of cannoli, and not in a good way.)

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | June 25, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, but I've just belatedly found four new food blogs with which I'm totally in lurv.

Posted by: jelo97 | June 25, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

I'm thinking that Brando seduced Jackie, not the other way around. You kids have no idea how hott she was once considered to be. Course he was no slouch either.

Posted by: reddragon1 | June 25, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

jelo
four new food blogs

Is this code for something else?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 25, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Nosy-
Well they aren't "new" but new to me. And no, just blogs and recipes and beautiful photos of food.

In this week's issue of GOOP (which goes to my spambox) Gwynnie waxes poetic about wheat-free, dairy-free vegan food. Both totally grody and an abomination to all that is good and wholesome.

Posted by: jelo97 | June 25, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

i wonder what Perez Hilton will consider appropriate attire for court.

Posted by: memphis1 | June 25, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Okay, I'm one of those people that finds Twilight horribly written and can't understand the hype (just making that clear).

But Stephen Moyer? First, I believe Robert Pattinson believes the same as you - I don't think he much likes the books or the character of Edward Cullen either. It represents a nice paycheck.

And second - oh my god. You are both playing fictional characters. You are both pretty successful at it. Get over it.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | June 25, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

jelo, would you be willing to share the links with us?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 25, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Any thoughts by the Lizards on the Oscars increasing the number of films for Best Film consideration from 5 to 10? Apparently there used to be 8-10 a year up until the early 1940s.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 25, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I am just crushed about Nick Lachey and Vanessa Minnillo. I was so sure she was his sunshine after the rain. Hope he's not losing his mind when she's not around. (It is because of her, after all.)

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | June 25, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

"Any thoughts by the Lizards on the Oscars increasing the number of films for Best Film consideration from 5 to 10?" --Nosy_Parker

Don't get me started, Nosy! I hate this idea. Big time. Ten films?! Why, so we can ensure "Transformers" and "The Hangover" both make the final cut this year? When Hollywood starts consistently making better movies that anyone considers "award worthy," then maybe. (But probably not even then.)

What's next? Ten Best Actor nominees? Before you know it, there are Ten Best Songs up for the Oscar and the telecast will have to be shown as a two-part miniseries so they can highlight ten song performances. It's ridiculous!

Why stop at ten? How about 15? Or 20? Let all of Hollywood pat themselves on the back even MORE so they need bigger venues to hold all the pre-show lunches and photo ops. Honestly, what a crock of.... (Hey, you asked.)

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | June 25, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Edward Cullen or Bill?

I choose Thomas Jane. At least I know he is giving it up.

Posted by: supersonic2 | June 25, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

td, the part that bothers me most is that it means that a movie can win Best Picture with theoretically only one vote over 10%, assuming eight of the other films get exactly 10% of the votes and the tenth one receives one vote under 10%. Hardly a resounding endorsement of artistry.

At least with the Golden Globes, they divide their 10 films into two categories.

When Mr. P and I were discussing this weighty topic last evening, his reaction was that this could make the Oscars telecast even longer (and not in an entertaining way).

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 25, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Some unintended consequences of increasing the number of Oscar nominees:

1: Lame musical number during the Oscar broadcast now as long as side 3 of Yes's album "Tales From The Topographic Oceans."

2: Highest-ever odds that a nominated film has never played in your local mallplex.

3: "And the Best Picture Oscar goes to... 'What The Fockers?'"

Posted by: byoolin1 | June 25, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Liz's spam filter blocked my links so I'll just say the names and you can Google them Nosy:

The Pioneer Woman Cooks
Smitten Kitchen
The Garden of Eating
Chocolate and Zucchini

Try not to drool into your keyboard.

Posted by: jelo97 | June 25, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

"Don't get me started, Nosy! I hate this idea. Big time. Ten films?! Why, so we can ensure "Transformers" and "The Hangover" both make the final cut this year?"

Have you seen "The Hangover?" I argue that it deserves an Oscar Nod.

Posted by: VTDuffman | June 25, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Someone asked a week or so ago whether an alcoholic can ever have even so much as a drop of alcohol in, say, food. Here's a thoughtful article on the matter from today's NYT. "Mixing Drinks With Work and Staying Sober, Too"
In simplest terms, it boils down to the individual's capacity to control him or herself.

At one extreme, I know of someone for whom even a drop of vanilla extract is too much temptation. OTOH, others can use considerable quantities of wine in cooking, eat the resulting dish, and still feel no temptation to imbibe. It's a matter of knowing oneself, I guess.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 25, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Oh great, jelo, now I have to worry about drool as well as spray on my keyboard. Lizard Island is getting more virtually hazardous by the day!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 25, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

jelo97 - I love Pioneer Woman's blog, too, and not just the cooking portion. Thanks for the names of the others.

Posted by: mat00 | June 25, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I love love love Smitten Kitchen, I have made so many of her recipes.

I highly recommend 101cookbooks as well.

Posted by: mcleve | June 25, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 25, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

The photographer who snapped the Jane picture should learn from the Robbie Williams story what can happen when they take pics of celebs with funny cigars. Sleep with one eye open, I say!

Posted by: hodie | June 25, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Can't blame Jackie. I would have seduced Marlon Brando in his day, too.

That can't be Courtney Love. That's a skeleton someone exhumed.

Why oh why do people keep making sex tapes? Doesn't anyone ever learn ... !

wheat-free, dairy-free vegan food ... or in other words, kindergarten paste.

Posted by: Californian11 | June 25, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

The show is about?

Posted by: jezebel3 | June 25, 2009

Posted by: zn123 | June 25, 2009 9:26 AM
==============
It's not about William Hung? I am SO disappointed.

Posted by: mdreader01 | June 25, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

It's not about William Hung? I am SO disappointed.

Posted by: mdreader01

****

Maybe it is, and maybe he is. Maybe it brings a whole new meaning to "She Bang."

Posted by: byoolin1 | June 25, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

And I thought that Mary-Louise Parker series on Showtime was about lawn care.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 25, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

After her second night with Marlon Brando, Jackie Kennedy was seen half-dressed, running out of the apartment, screaming, "The horror! The horror!"

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | June 25, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Dueling Vampires. Another soon-to-be- launched series on the Lizard Island Network. Set somewhere in Appalachia with some in-bred looking kid playing the banjo in the intro. The lead characters could be Bite-Me Hatfield and Fang McCoy.

Back to the Jackie/Brando thing. According to the story, Marlon admitted to getting dumped after the two marathon sessions of bagging the viper, or "hiking the Appalachian Trail." Guess he couldn't say, "I coulda been a contendah."

Posted by: reddragon1 | June 25, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

PS Thomas Jayne's cigar looks pretty short in that pic.

Posted by: reddragon1 | June 25, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Breaking News - Farrah Fawcett has died.

Posted by: zn123 | June 25, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Of course Lou Diamond Philips won, he was the only real celebrity on that show to begin with.

An Irishman involved in a drunken scuffle? Couldn't see that one coming.

In my opinion, Robert Pattison is the New Coke of Vampires.

So I heard that like, Olympia Snow, like totally freaked out when she heard Nick Jonas was on the Hill.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | June 25, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Rest in peace, Farrah. You have been through hell.

Posted by: jaybbub | June 25, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

So sad about Farrah.

Posted by: suzannepdc | June 25, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

It was pretty obvious the end was near for Farrah when, after being sent home to die, she had to return to the hospital recently. She was too young to become so ill and die, but at least her suffering is finally over.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 25, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

It's very sad also that her older sister died of lung cancer in 2001. How awful that her father survived both his children.

Posted by: Californian11 | June 25, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

RIP Farrah.

I am still giggling every time I think about Sanford. I strongly second the suggestion yesterday to add "Hiking the Appalachian Trail" to the lizard glossary of terms.

Jonathan R-M seriously needs to have a chat with Colin Farrel, who managed to go from one of the most volatile guys on the wouldn't-be-surprised-to-hear-he-died list to hardly a blip on the off-screen scene.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | June 25, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

sorcerers_cat, we'll also never be able to refer to any of our friends as a "dear, dear friend" any more without evoking giggles (or suspicions), alas.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 25, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Nosy, I submit that we also add "dear, dear, friend" to the lizard library of euphamisms.

Posted by: hodie | June 25, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the site jelo.
The Pioneer Woman Cooks - Love her whole site.
Smitten Kitchen - She posted an iced coffee recipe a while back that is delicious.
Have to check out the other two.

RIP Farrah.

Posted by: Vienna8425 | June 25, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hodie | June 25, 2009 3:54 PM
----------------------------------------
What would be the definition of the term? "Latest squeeze"? "Homeopathic endorphin generator"? "Sex Toy"? "Inflatable doll"?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | June 25, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Hodie, regarding Kathie Lee Gifford's nose sucking stunt: would that be a symptom off a deviated septm? I think probably.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | June 25, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Ok, what's the statute of limitation on celebrity death's comes in 3s? I just got a CNN breaking news that Michael Jackson just suffered cardiac arrest.

Posted by: zn123 | June 25, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

zn123: I thought that same thing - as in Holy Crap! Is MJ going to be the one that rounds out the 3?

Posted by: suzannepdc | June 25, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Just read about MJ and thought about the comes in 3's comment made earlier today. Was a bit shocked to read that it was cardiac arrest.

Posted by: Vienna8425 | June 25, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Even more shocking that he needed to be ressusitated by paramedics!

If he dies, I wonder if he has a will that clearly states who will take custody of the children. Otherwise, we're in for another Dannilyn Smith situation.

You know what that means: More.Nancy.Grace.

Posted by: mdreader01 | June 25, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hodie | June 25, 2009 3:54 PM
----------------------------------------

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | June 25, 2009 4:20 PM
=========================
"dear, dear friend"

aka: Appalachian Trail Buddy

Definition: someone with whom you are knocking boots.

Usage: to be applied when the speaker is a politician.

Synonym: "that woman"

Posted by: mdreader01 | June 25, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

TMZ is saying MJ is dead.

Wow.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | June 25, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Wow. We got the third a little faster than I would have liked. And while, he obviously had some issues later in life, he WAS my third grade experience - with that Thriller album.

Posted by: suzannepdc | June 25, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

You know, a sleepy, hot early summer day starts out with whiney Perez Hilton and ends up with both Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson dead at unusually early ages. What a day.

Posted by: mdreader01 | June 25, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse