Posted at 8:25 AM ET, 06/16/2009

Letterman Apologizes to Palin (Again); Katie Holmes Tapes 'SYTYCD' Performance

By Liz Kelly
Tuesday

Headlines: David Letterman apologizes (again) for Palin jokes... Katie Holmes taping "So You Think You Can Dance" guest performance... Janice Dickinson rushed to medical facility from set of "I'm a Celebrity"... Mel Gibson's girlfriend debuts first single... Carrie Prejean dismissed from gig as clothing brand spokeswoman... Celebrity salaries shrinking... Megan Fox says she's single again... Chuck Norris writing his own book of Chuck Norris facts... Impersonator spends $200,000 to look like Britney Spears... Paul McCartney launches Meat-Free Monday campaign... Thandie Newton to teach acting classes at Oprah's South African girls school... Eddie Murphy's ex engaged to former NFL star Michael Strahan... Kelis sues Nas for child, spousal support... Carnie Wilson gives birth to baby girl.

Crime Watch: Jessica Alba won't face vandalism charges for shark posters.

Video: In case you missed it, Al Roker goes after Speidi on "Today"...

More: Heidi and Spencer respond... Angelina Jolie's World Refugee Day PSA.

Rumor Mill: Lindsay Lohan questioned in theft of $500,000 in jewels... One-time "Hulk" Lou Ferrigno training Michael Jackson ahead of comeback shows... Hulk Hogan claims estranged wife Linda spending alimony on drugs.

Say What?
"I plan to be the President of the United States in the next 20 years." -- The reliably delusional Spencer Pratt

Coming Next Week: The return of The "Lost" Hour -- joing Jen Chaney and me for a summer-long review of seasons 1 and 2. Start watching now. Start chatting next Thursday at 3 p.m. ET.

By Liz Kelly  | June 16, 2009; 8:25 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jennifer Aniston an Unfair Target?
Next: Dollars and Scents: New Fragrances from Reese Witherspoon, 50 Cent and More...

Comments

Fair warning - Mel's maybe-baby-mama can't sing to save her life. She should have stuck to the piano and kept her mouth shut. One of the FM stations in NYC played a clip from her single this morning, and the kindest thing I can think of to compare it to is the baying of hounds on a scent.

Reportedly, after the interview, Al Roker tweeted, "Aren't we at minute 11 yet?" Al, that was four minutes ago.

Posted by: northgs | June 16, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

"Impersonator spends $200,000 to look like Britney Spears"

I wonder how many Quarter Pounders $200,000 buys?

Posted by: MStreet1 | June 16, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Say What?

Well, if W can do it...

Posted by: KevFromArlington | June 16, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

So You Think You Can Dance is a piece of cake after So You Think You Can Live With Tom Cruise.

Love the Chuck Norris Facts, will make a birthday present for my teenage son. My favorite is "Chuck Norris doesn't sleep, he waits."

Paul, the Catholics have had a meat free day for centuries, it's called Friday.

I am suddenly an Al Roker fan and he is now forgiven for being the most annoying thing on morning TV.

Lou Ferrigno has his work cut out for him (Michael had his nose cut off of him).

Posted by: hodie | June 16, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Chuck Norris keeps a pillow under his gun.

Posted by: jaybbub | June 16, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Chuck Norris Jokes stopped being funny a while ago. Chuck Norris Jokes started being *UN*funny when Chuck Norris started making Chuck Norris Jokes.

Hearing a Heincer Clip this morning almost made me drive my car into the Potomac. He used the term "Speidi" non-ironically. Look, it's bad enough when people refer to themselves in the 3rd person (e.g. "Terrell Owens is going to do what's best for Terrell Ownes")...but he's referring to a couple in the third person? By my math that's referring to yourself in the sixth person, and if it's not punishable by jailtime, it should be...

Carrie Prejean: 14:57, 14:58, 14:59...

Posted by: VTDuffman | June 16, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Good lord....if Spencer is looking for a future as POTUS I'm filing my dual citizenship papers now.....especially for my grandsons! Ireland is a lovely place.....

Al Roker rocks!!!!

Posted by: irishone | June 16, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

This has been the thing about super-high celeb salaries that I've never gotten, especially in recent years.

Sure a particular actor can be excellent at their job. But even a great actor has a really hard time overcoming bad direction, cr@p production values, and/or a poorly written script (look at the Star Wars prequels for God's sake).

If I go to Rotten Tomatoes and see middling reviews, or check out commentary at IMDB from people who have seen the movie and they say it sucks, I don't care how big the name is, I'm not going to bother with the movie while it's in the theater - I'll wait for DVD rental.

I know you get used to a certain salary, but $15,000,000 for several months of work (where you probably get your butt kissed at the same time)? I'm trying to figure out who exactly is worth that.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | June 16, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

I can't stand the idea that those two knuckleheads have any sort of following but NBC is dealing in the heights of hypocrisy here. And the icing on the cake? After blathering about the dregs of reality TV, they had one of the Real Housewives of NJ subbing for that twit Kathie Lee Gifford today.
For crying out loud NBC--a little integrity here.

Posted by: pras40 | June 16, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

"Look, NBC, you can't have your cake and eat it too. You produce "I'm a Celebrity". You broadcast it. You allow these cretins to take up space on your airwaves, and then you have the gall/chutzpah to trot Al Roker out there on the Today Show to castigate Spencer & Heidi?"

It's actually quite brillaint, isn't it? Everyone's *still* talking about Heincer and *still* talking about the show. I heard the Roker tapes on the radio this morning and read about it here.

It's the old addage about Any publicity being Good Publicity.

Posted by: VTDuffman | June 16, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Heidi and Spencer. Um. Who are these people? She has nice hair. Other than that, I am without a clue who they are. I guess I'd better wander back to my cave.

Posted by: ScienceTim | June 16, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

"Janice Dickinson rushed to medical facility from set of "I'm a Celebrity"..."
- Who put that flight of stairs in the middle of the jungle? Was that you, Stephen Baldwin?

"A source told Britain’s The Sun newspaper: 'Lou has been visiting Michael to build him up so he can perform his dance routines. But Michael refuses to lift weights. He doesn’t want to bulk up.'"
- Hey, Michael, there's this trainer from Indianapolis who could really use some cash. Gwynneth has her on speed dial.

"That was the game plan to become the most famous person on the planet, so when I'm campaigning, people will know who I am. No one knew who Obama was and now he's the President."
- So Spencer's going to do the exact opposite thing that Obama did and expect to get the same results.

Posted by: mdreader01 | June 16, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I'm a celebrity must be really ratings challenged. They just keep rushing people to the hospital in the hopes of boosting ratings. No other reality show has this many hospitalizations (well, okay maybe Dancing with the Stars).

I have a friend like Speidi. He is always convinced these grandiose things will be coming his way if he just has a positive attitude. Nothing ever happens because all he has is attitude. I stopped hanging around this person because of it.

Posted by: epjd | June 16, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

For crying out loud NBC--a little integrity here.

Posted by: pras40 | June 16, 2009 10:17 AM
=============

"I'm a Real Housewife. Get Me Out of Here!"

First episode: "Abandoned...twice!"

The ladies from OC, NY, Atlanta and NJ are abandoned on a remote desert island.

Kim, Gretchen and Danielle wander off to find some old, rich native who is dying of cancer to take care of them.

This leaves the rest of the women to fend for themselves. They split into 'tribes' by location.

The NJ castaways manage to build a shelter out of nothing but fake nails.

The OC gals fashion a cozy lean-to out of their Prada handbags.

The Atlanta gals make a tee-pee by lashing together the pages of their husbands' sports contracts. They seal it water-tight with the hairspray Kim left behind.

The NY gals pool their costume jewlery and conscript natives into building them a stone mansion.

Stay tuned when next week, Vicky from OC and Ramona from NY challenge each other to see who can catch the most fish with their bare hands.

Posted by: mdreader01 | June 16, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

For crying out loud NBC--a little integrity here.

Posted by: pras40 | June 16, 2009 10:17 AM
=============

ok, I fell for it. Al is back to being annoying. But I didn't fall so far as to actually watch the show.

Posted by: hodie | June 16, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

There's only one legitimate place I've found to watch the whole clip of the apology, the rest seem like scams :-/ You can see it over here though: http://vostuu.com/watch28015.html

They make you do a little survey but after that it's good to go :)

Posted by: karenakarson | June 16, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

I am going to take one from Chelsea Handler and change their name to Herpes since they never go away and they are like sores. I hope other people follow suit.

Posted by: csw2 | June 16, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I think the Lizard Island Network will be a real contender if we can get just one more pilot for a show. So far our 2 shows are based on "I'm a Celebrity.., "and both the spinoffs sound more interesting than the original. Hey, it worked for Law and Order. Alert Lisa de Moraes.

Posted by: reddragon1 | June 16, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

PS Pleeease let me arrest Jessica Alba. She's got to be guilty of something. Just look at her. Wouldn't mind arresting Kate Hudson at the same time.

Posted by: reddragon1 | June 16, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

"OMG, pras40, you are on to something that would be RATINGS GOLD if we were ever to start our own Lizard Island Network:

"I'm a Real Housewife. Get Me Out of Here!"

---

FWIW, this could actually happen considering that Bravo and NBC are both subsidiaries of the Schienhardt Wig Company.

Posted by: VTDuffman | June 16, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

If you want some fun entertainment, check out the tall women + short men link on People. Who knew Nicolas Sarkozy was like 2 feet tall?

Posted by: Californian11 | June 16, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Californian
Who knew Nicolas Sarkozy was like 2 feet tall?

Maybe he's channeling Napoleon?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 16, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

"Sometimes Chuck Norris bites the bear and sometimes Chuck Norris bites the bear."

Posted by: memphis1 | June 16, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

mdreader is funny.

that is all.

Posted by: memphis1 | June 16, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Now that TV is digital, will we be able to see the strings leading from Katie Holmes to Wee Tom backstage when she appears on SYTYCD?

Posted by: reddragon1 | June 16, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

mdreader is funny.

that is all.

Posted by: memphis1 | June 16, 2009 1:09 PM
=========
sniff....

I just insulted your town on the other thread.

I am sorry, but not as sorry as Letterman.

Posted by: mdreader01 | June 16, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

If there was any doubt that John and Kate Plus 8 was made up for the cameras and not their real life, the episode I saw last night clinched it. Paulie and Mikey from American Choppers stopped by. Barf.

Posted by: buffysummers | June 16, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Yes, eight fairies sure sneezed it big time when Jon and Kate visited the back alley fertility doctor. I would also like to apologize to Sarah Palin for insinuating yesterday that she didn't understand the difference between her husband and a box of Krispy Kreme donuts.

Posted by: possum_pouch | June 16, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: csw2 | June 16, 2009 11:30 AM |

Be careful what you wish for, csw2. This ain't like the good ol' days when venereal disease was simple. Herpes, you keep that s--- forever like luggage.

Nor are these the good ol' days when Eddie Murphy was funny and did shows/movies for adults, but I digress.

Posted by: northgs | June 16, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Megan Fox says she's single again. Is that the same thing as her saying that she's infectious again?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | June 16, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

I think hairy cryptids are protected from her disease. Just spray on some of that beef cologne to be 100% sure.

Posted by: possum_pouch | June 16, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: buffysummers | June 16, 2009 1:47 PM
=====================
I was going to watch that episode, but I missed it. Now, the Lizard Island Network, would have paid Paulie and Mikey to build a crappy chopper for Kate to present to Jon for their anniversary-- what is it? 11 years? Isn't that the year you give poorly welded metal gifts?

Posted by: mdreader01 | June 16, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

"I'm a Real Housewife. Get Me Out of Here!"

Hell, I would watch it.

You should post this on Lisa DeMoraes' chat; she would love it.

Posted by: onlytheshadowknows1 | June 16, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

"This ain't like the good ol' days when venereal disease was simple. Herpes, you keep that s--- forever like luggage."

Now why doesn't that stop men from sleeping with Paris Hilton?!

Posted by: Californian11 | June 16, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse