Posted at 10:43 AM ET, 06/ 5/2009

Oprah -- Hazardous to Your Health?

By Liz Kelly

Paging Dr. Oprah? (Getty Images)

I thought inflicting Dr. Phil on us was bad, but according to Newsweek the throngs of Oprah-faithful could be endangering their health by taking her medical advice. In a new story, Newsweek blasts the world's second most influential celebrity for putting her stamp of approval on "questionable treatments" for everything from menopause to autism and breast cancer.

The take down starts with a recounting of Susan Somers's visit to "Oprah" in which she described her regimen of 60+ vitamins a day and non-FDA "bioidentical" hormone replacement therapy. And although Oprah had docs on hand to question some of Somers's claims, she described the one-time "Three's Company" star as "a pioneer."

The article goes on to cite Oprah's seeming support for everything from Jenny McCarthy's take on autism (she's in the vaccine causation camp) to one doc's recommendation to avoid the HPV shot in favor of nutritional changes to ward off STDs to O's enthusiastic hyping of the now-passe and possibly dangerous "thread lift."

From the article:

She has the power to summon the most learned authorities on any subject; who would refuse her? Instead, all too often Oprah winds up putting herself and her trusting audience in the hands of celebrity authors and pop-science artists pitching wonder cures and miracle treatments that are questionable or flat-out wrong, and sometimes dangerous.

Oprah declined to be interviewed by Newsweek, but released a statement in response to the article:

"For 23 years, my show has presented thousands of topics that reflect the human experience, including doctors' medical advice and personal health stories that have prompted conversations between our audience members and their health care providers," Winfrey says in a statement. "I trust the viewers, and I know that they are smart and discerning enough to seek out medical opinions to determine what may be best for them."

In a May article on Salon.com, Dr. Rahul K. Parikh also admonished Oprah for not grilling Somers fully about her regimen:

But Winfrey didn't pose any tough James Frey-like questions to Somers. She didn't ask about whether her super-hormone regimen could have contributed to Somers' history of breast cancer. She didn't ask Somers about her hysterectomy, the result of pre-cancerous changes in her uterus from her use of HRT. And she didn't ask about the validity of Somer's book's sources, many of whom are neither experts in women's health or endocrinology, nor board-certified physicians, nor experienced researchers.

Oprah was similarly criticized for pushing "The Secret," a self-help book that claims living your dreams is as easy as imagining them. As mentioned in the Newsweek article, one Oprah viewer took that message so seriously she thought she could wish away her breast cancer.

Read Newsweek's full article here, then come back and talk about it -- should Oprah's medical advice be regulated? Is she really that influential?

By Liz Kelly  | June 5, 2009; 10:43 AM ET
Categories:  Insta-Polls, Oprah Winfrey
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: David Carradine's Death May Have Been Accidental; Susan Boyle Released from Hospital
Next: Family Wants FBI to Investigate Carradine's Death; Heidi Pratt Released from Hospital

Comments

As a lawyer, I get this all time. "Well, so and so, said I could do this" or "So and so said that this was right" in regards to a legal problem. I really hate when it is my own family doing this. My resposne is always the same "Where did so and so go to law school?"

Same thing here. Where did Oprah or any other celebrity go to medical school? When Tom Cruise went on his riff about post-partum drugs, everyone pointed out the guy didn't even graduate high school. Yet, why is no one questioning Oprah's medical knowledge. Even if she has doctors on the show, unless they are the ones doing the endorsement, you have to what the hell does she know about medicine?

Posted by: epjd | June 5, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Oprah, Oprah, Oprah.

'sigh'

I do believe you've jumped the snark.

Your former pal,

Curmudgeon

Posted by: bmschumacher | June 5, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I've said for years that Oprah has waaaay too much influence with Americans. And a brief glance at her grandiose plans that rarely feature adequate follow-up (e.g., the girls' "leadership academy" she founded in Africa and has now all but abandoned as it sinks into the muck of sexual abuse allegations) demonstrates that she lives for the hype and doesn't plan for the long-term.

She's like this busy-body who buzzes from one cause to another, landing only long enough to enjoy the photo ops and contribute some sound bites but never really engaging on any serious level.

That said, I do believe that adult Americans need to take responsibility for their choices. But I think many people find Oprah's magic machine to be too overwhelming to resist.

Posted by: kjohnson3 | June 5, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Until legions of women stop taking every word that comes out of her obnoxious mouth as gospel, this won't change. She believes her own hype, and it's only getting worse. I gave up on her during the first round of her Book Club crap.

Americans need accountability more than anything else. It would take care of weight problems, some money problems, some health problems. Oprah watchers will never get that, though. As long as she tells people to follow quacks and idiots (Dr. Phil) and feel sorry for themselves she'll maintain her death grip.

Sorry about the rant. I'll take Gwyneth's drivel over Oprah's mania any day.

Posted by: renselaas | June 5, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Me too, ep. One of the most difficult tasks I had as a doctor was dispelling what patients have heard on tv and explaining why such and such treatment is not for them.

Oprah does have at least two semi-regular appearing physicians on her show (Oz and Rosen), so I don't get why she doesn't vet the medical topics out better with them before letting crazies like Sommers lead people into dangerous territory.
I have also had patients who swear by her bioidentical compounded hormones, and they wouldn't hear of any warning that they carry the same risks (possibly more b/c the actual dosage of active ingrediant is not precise) as conventional HRT. Didn't Suzanne Sommers also have breast cancer??? There is a link to hormones there as well.

Posted by: hodie | June 5, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Anyone who believes what they see on TV from a celebrity will believe anything including Newsweeks so called outrage.

Posted by: rlj1 | June 5, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

As the recipient of an Oprah endorsed product as a gift(an amazing bathrobe that I would be wearing right now if it weren't so darn warm in my apartment), I can say that the woman does have some taste. But she should really stick to endorsing conventional items. She does a disservice to her supporters by advocating some downright dangerous things. Her shows should come with a warning: "Don't try this at home".

Posted by: StuckatWork | June 5, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I read the article a couple days ago, And I am not an oprah fan, but in the end I came away thinking, that the only reason that this is a problem is because our helth system sucks. If people were getting accurate information from their Doctors they wouldn't be searching for it from the likes of Oprah and Suzanne Summers and Jenny McCarthy.
If People felt that doctors would take time to discuss with them the possible benefits from suppliments or minor symptoms (not specifically bothersome or life changing but possibly easily treatable or a sign of something bigger)they would go there for their information. But people can't go to the doctors with out getting hit with a co-pay, and so they won't go unless it really feels urgent, and instead they will get their medical information from whoever is putting it out there, so either the internet or Oprah.
Best Case Scenario, people will see something on Oprah and actually realize it's treatable, and they will actually go to the doctor, Worst case they'll buy Weird supliments from suzanne summers.

Posted by: spg2 | June 5, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

THE BOTTOM LINE IS THE OLD SAYING FROM OUR CHILDHOOD THAT EVERY MOTHER HAS SAID AT LEAST ONCE "IF BILLY JUMPED OFF THE BRIDGE WOULD YOU JUMP TOO"? IT'S OK TO LISTEN BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO WHAT EVERYONE ELSE DOES OR SAYS. GOD GAVE YOU A BRAIN, USE IT. YOU CAN'T BLAME ANYONE ELSE FOR THE STUPID MISTAKES YOU MAKE. IF YOU REFUSE TO LISTEN TO YOUR DR WHEN HE GIVES YOU ADV DO YOU SUE HIM WHEN YOUR HEALTH KEEP DECLINING? TAKE RESPONSIBLITY! WE ARE A SOCIETY THAT LAYS BLAME ON EVERYONE BUT THE PERSON IN THE MIRROR. I AM NOT AN OPRAH FAN OR ANY OTHER STAR THAT TOUTS THE LASTEST AND GREATEST THING. YOU SHOULD BE MAKING YOUR DECISIONS BASED ON YOUR OWN RESEARCH. STOP BLAMING OTHERS FOR YOUR STUPID CHOICES.

Posted by: lsmith21 | June 5, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

"non-FDA "bioidentical" hormone replacement therapy"

Wasn't that the stuff A-Rod was taking to mask his steroid use?

Posted by: mdreader01 | June 5, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

In the poll I voted, "She is influential for a large portion of her viewers," though I also believe "individuals are responsible for their own health."

And to the previous poster who said, "Why is Newsweek doing a story on this instead of all the stupid informecials that do the same thing? Could it be because some pay advertisement dollars to them?"
I would answer, Newsweek realizes that Oprah has more influence than an infomercial.

Posted by: pras40 | June 5, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

BTW, I read the entire article (thanks for the head's up Liz) and feel more vindicated than ever that my dislike for the Cult of Oprah was well-founded.

mdreader, you might be thinking about the Dodgers' Manny Ramirez. He tested positive women's hormones which is often used to cover up the use of steroids.

Posted by: pras40 | June 5, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

While I don't want to be defending the O, I've gotta say that when I actually watched her, she said things like "exciting new approach to..." and "...has discovered a way she says helps deal with..."

To me, this is not outright endorsement. If she says, "I've discovered mega-vitamins make me have amazing sex with (1) Stedman (2) Gayle and/or (3) myself" then that is an endorsement. Just because she has someone on her show does not mean she wants all American males to jump on their couches.

Posted by: reddragon1 | June 5, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

rlj1 said:

************************

Anyone who believes what they see on TV from a celebrity will believe anything including Newsweek's so called outrage.

*************************

So true ;)

rlj1 also said:

*************************

*************************

I don't think it's about advertising dollars.

When you see an ad on TV, if you're a person who has half a brain, you take everything the ad presents as a grain of salt. It is, after all, a commercial. Carefully worded, carefully presented, you *know* they're leaving s**t out.

Oprah, however, has a MASSIVE cult of personality. If she promotes something, there are legions of followers who will buy anything she suggests, follow whatever regimen she recommends, and believe whoever she believes in (like, say, the obviously idiotic Dr. Phil or that stupid "The Secret" book).

I haven't read the full story, but the issue isn't so much the quack remedies (which have been around for forever and a day), but the trust network Oprah provides, and how really, she has abused that.

I respect Oprah for her hard work ethic, and the fact that she really had a sh*t childhood and managed to move past it - there are so many people who don't. But that doesn't give her license to use her force of personality to promote things that are simply unsafe or falsehoods.

Despite her fame and fortune, it just reduces her to the level of snake oil saleswoman. We already *know* the other people are - other people consider her a trusted advisor (as kind of sad as that is), and she's abusing that through her own willful ignorance.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | June 5, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

___________________________________________

Actuall, one thing the article said was good about Oprah was that she didn't put up with people's Complaints of Poor me, feelings of victimhood, or general helplessness

Posted by: spg2 | June 5, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Sorry about the rant. I'll take Gwyneth's drivel over Oprah's mania any day.

Posted by: renselaas | June 5, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Ditto.

Posted by: jezebel3 | June 5, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

spg2, agree with some of your comments about doctor/patient relationships and affordibility of healthcare. The system is certainly malfunctioning. But don't overgeneralize, not all docs are bad, and sometimes the patients do not listen or want to hear what the doctor has to say. The consumers of medical care, the providers and the insurers are all part of the problem and they all need to be part of the solution.
-stepping off my soapbox.

Posted by: hodie | June 5, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

I can't stand shows like Oprah's, but she lost me when she started hanging out w/Dr. Phil. Then came the anti-vaccine rants and the Secret. The woman is playing on people's ignorance and vulnerability to make a buck and that makes her no better than a snake oil salesman.

I think the most telling thing in that story was the part about the bubbles on her desk. She must be a joy to work for.

Posted by: memphis1 | June 5, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

But jez, I'd be leary of any medical advice from Gwynnie the Pooh or else you may spending more time than you want in your bathroom recovering from her latest detox recipe!

Posted by: hodie | June 5, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hodie | June 5, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

LOL! True. But only a nitwit would take medical advice from either of these twits! Have Oprah's or Gwynnie's college transcripts ever been revealed? Did they take any science courses? Statistics? They are both pretty dumb for "educated" women.

Posted by: jezebel3 | June 5, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to borrow and modify something from jezebel:

"Every time Oprah farts, it makes the cover of O Magazine."

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | June 5, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Then let's just be thankful it isn't a scratch'n'sniff cover, Sas.

Posted by: byoolin1 | June 5, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: reddragon1 | June 5, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Hodie,
I didn't mean that it was the doctors fault, I believe it is the heath system in general, especially insurance companies that cause this. But didn't think i should go into that whole debate here, even though i did start it. Sorry, I meant no offence.

Posted by: spg2 | June 5, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

pras40, I'm with you. I think its sad that word from Oprah is taken as Gospel. I also think that the quote Liz used in her peice is dead on. Unfortunately, the uneducated and those that believe that everyone is against them (everyone being the government, the health care system, etc) will always look for someone that thinks like they do, and oftentimes Oprah's guests, at least the ones discussed in this article, are just that.

I mean seriously. If Oprah can cause chaos at KFC by endorsing a coupon...

Posted by: franchiseinATL | June 5, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Worst case they'll buy Weird supliments from suzanne summers.
_______________

No - Worst case scenario is that you decide not to immunize your child and that child dies of measles.

This is a topic that really gets my blood boiling - Someone mentioned the fact that Oprah does have a couple of recurring physicians, and I believe that the presence of those physicians only serves to give credibility to nutty and DANGEROUS people like Suzanne Sommers and Jenny McCarthy. Because of the non-stop fear-mongering by Jenny and her crew, kids are dying of preventible diseases IN THIS COUNTRY - TODAY. It's been proven over and over again that Autism is not caused by vaccine additives, and recent research shows that evidence of autism is acutally present earlier than previously thought (again, supporting the other evidence that additives are not the cause). Do vaccines present potential side-effects? yes, but they're used for a reason, and the fact that deaths from diseases like measles are rising in the US is cause for great concern.

So -- I do think that Oprah's dangerous because she cloaks herself as a resource who taps experts and then she provides a soap box to destructive nuts.

Okie-dokie... I'm done with my rant now.

Posted by: DCLocal20 | June 5, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

All of the comments sure missed the target of O's show. Who cares if it was Crissy from Three's Company or the Wizard of Oz? The real issue was the exposure of a safe non synthetic treatment for menopause and male andropause with natural BIOIDENTICAL hormone replacement. Look up the definition of bioidentical, it pretty much is what the word says. And as far as FDA approval, well I like Viox and the 'black box' warnings on all of the FDA approved medications. That makes me want to take all of them! A little tidbit that is not well known is that synthetic HRT such as Premarin, Prempro etc., was declared as CARCINOGENIC by the WHO as far back as 1995, yet family MD's and OB/GYN's hand it out like candy! And BTW, the ingredients that go into natural hormones are FDA approved, the end product cannot be FDA approved since the dosage is individualized to the client, and the FDA can't have a stamp on every dose that goes out. The dialogue that the Big "O" opened was and is much needed to improve the health of all of us. It could have been Al Gore interviewing Sotomayer for all I care. The content, the message of BHRT and it's benefits and safety is the much needed, misunderstood and hidden by big pharma, that has finally drawn the media's attention.

Posted by: tleder | June 5, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

This is a topic that really gets my blood boiling - Someone mentioned the fact that Oprah does have a couple of recurring physicians, and I believe that the presence of those physicians only serves to give credibility to nutty and DANGEROUS people like Suzanne Sommers and Jenny McCarthy. Because of the non-stop fear-mongering by Jenny and her crew, kids are dying of preventible diseases IN THIS COUNTRY - TODAY. present potential side-effects? yes, but they're used for a reason, and the fact that deaths from diseases like measles are rising in the US is cause for great concern.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Okie-dokie... I'm done with my rant now.

Posted by: DCLocal20 | June 5, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Water seeks its own level.

Posted by: jezebel3 | June 5, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Liz

Back when I first heard of this, all I could think of was Professor Harold Hill's teaching method in "The Music Man."

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 5, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

A good rule of thumb is that if it's on Oprah it's gotta be full of crap. That pretty much goes for Dr. Phil's entire career.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 5, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Oprah's not the first talk show host to feature pseudo-scientific medical nonsense.

I was a young stay-at-home mom in the 1970s regularly hearing and reading about this kind of stuff. I didn't buy any of it, because I'm a very skeptical gal who grew up loving my science classes in school.

Popular medical fads come and go. Oprah is merely the latest TV purveyor.

Posted by: Krisipuu | June 5, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

"Oh, yeah, and why hasn't the President named Oprah Ambassador to Brangelina yet?

Posted by: reddragon1 | June 5, 2009 12:30 PM "

(Wiping sprayed Coke off keyboard.)

Posted by: mat00 | June 5, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I am a fan of Oprah's. I like the talk show. I cheer the good she does for different charities, etc. I don't take everything that is on her show for total fact. I'd be stupid to do that. I really believe people need to be responsible for themselves and not blame actors, singers, entertainers, talk show hosts, reality TV, etc, etc for what they do. Okay, so she gives exposure to topics of all kinds. I think that is good. If you just learned about something you've never heard about, now, go research it. Don't go do it just because it was on Oprah. She's not an expert on anything other than making fabu money in the world of entertainment. This reminds me of the fools calling Barack Obama "messiah" which he never called himself and nor did his supporters.

If you are blaming Oprah for this, then you should start a list of all the other topics she covers on her TV show.

People, keep your minds open to new information and then go research it, get opinion, think about it more and then make a decision. Please don't blame Oprah or anyone other entertainer.

Posted by: shejoy | June 5, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: yellojkt | June 5, 2009 1:33 PM
=========
Just remember, however, it should be shaped like an S and hit the water like a diver from Acapulco.

Posted by: mdreader01 | June 5, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

-stepping off my soapbox.

Posted by: hodie | June 5, 2009 12:12 PM

Not to mention that people aren't always honest with their physicians. They'll withhold information about unhealthy behavior, or downright lie. They don't want to change their ways, and they don't want to be judged for it either.

Additionally, I think she's kind of hypocrite. She reamed that guy James Frey for fabricating a story, but lets Sommer and McCarthy spew uneducated facts. Any folks who changed the way they lived because of James Frey's books deserve to be duped.

Posted by: MzFitz | June 5, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

For Pete's sake, Liz, does anyone proofread this blog? Suzanne. Her name is not Susan Somers, it's Suzanne. (OK, my turn as today's Grammar Cop is done.)

Oprah is a scary woman with way too much sway over the lemmings who follow her. It's about time somebody confronted her for her many, many faults.

But don't be surprised if the authors of that story are found are the bottom of the Hudson with copies of "O" stuffed in their mouths. Never say No to O.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | June 5, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

No td: you're being spelling cop, not grammar cop.

I'm torn on the Oprah-medical advice thing. People should be smart enough to know that when Chrissy gives out medical advice, we shouldn't really believe it. And people should be smart enough to know that merely putting "Dr." in front of one's name does not a physician make.

On the other hand, assuming the American public is smart enough to do both of the above, is asking a bit much.

I don't watch Oprah (never cared for it) but I would still sit in the audience if it meant I got a bunch of free stuff. There I said it, I am a shallow person. *sigh.

Posted by: jelo97 | June 5, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

You're not alone, jelo... me too.

Posted by: memphis1 | June 5, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

*******************

Not a grammer or spelling cop but a NAME cop! It's completely the wrong name. As a "Suzanne", my name is not SUSAN!!! AGH! Sorry, pet peeve. (the worst is that I didn't even notice when i skimmed the post!)

Posted by: suzannepdc | June 5, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: yellojkt | June 5, 2009 1:33 PM
=========

Posted by: mdreader01 | June 5, 2009 2:14 PM

-----------------------------------------
If Oprah's magazine had a cover story on natural ways of achieving regularity, would the story be titled thusly?

O
Sh--!

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | June 5, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Hodie,

Posted by: spg2 | June 5, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

no offense taken, spg2!

Posted by: hodie | June 5, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

When Oprah is found to be wrong, she absolves herself and shrugs off any guilt. I think we, the TV watching nation, should pay James Frey to pop her upside the head for a having such a lopsided view of values and responsibility.

Posted by: otherliz | June 5, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

All of the posts seem anti-Oprah here but let me say that I read the Newsweek article and felt that the writers were making more of a personal attack on Oprah than being an informative piece.

Posted by: dcet | June 5, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

The vaccination thing is just crazy on her part.

Not only might your own child become ill, you're endangering the rest of the community.

It's been so long since these childhood diseases have been commonplace, people have forgotten what a toll they took.

Plus - science does not support the autism claims.

Ms. Winfrey occupies a special place, she should respect this by doing no harm....

Posted by: RedBird27 | June 5, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

The only two Oprah shows I watched this season were the two on BHRT, and she did a lousy job of actually educating women on the health benefits of biodientical hormone replacement therapy. Suzanne Somers drives me up the wall with her over the top protocol.

That being said, I absolutley know BHRT has saved my life. Besides easing severe menopause symptoms, I am now off seven medications, down 80 pounds from my high weight, and the progesterone cream I take has cured my restless leg syndrome, seasonal allergies and acid reflux. My energy level is better now than it was at 30, and I am almost 51. My bioidentical hormones are prescribed by a board certified Internal Medicine physician who incorporates "alternative" medicine with traditional modalities.

Oprah's show made it seem like only weathy women like Somers and Phil McGraw's wife can afford the treatment, and that simply is not so---in fact, my insurance helps to pay for my hormone creams. The "Dr. Phil" show also devoted a show to BHRT, and that one was (if possible) even worse----a blatant one hour infomercial for his wife's book.

I did take the time to read some of the show's message boards about BHRT---God Almighty, some of those women posting are convinced Oprah is the Messiah of all things relating to women's health. I guess I never realized how many women felt it was too much of an effort to actually go out and do a little research on their own to determine what's right for them.

Posted by: holyhormones | June 6, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Irresponsible pseudo-science aside, her show is unwatchable. Too many long moments of just clapping and cheering. Edit down the idol worship and get to the content already!

Posted by: Roxie1 | June 6, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

well whatta ya know the queen of ignorance is finally getting some heat for sumpthin!!!all these yrs. of complete garbage and finally somebody woke up hip hip hooray!! the sun just might come up in the mornin after all!! go figure!! didn't she also endorse someone for the white house?? I am startin to think that any advice from the queen may only be good for someone with her standing or banking account!! as for the rest of us maybe this is a good time to start reading and LISTENING to sumpthin else altogether!! can a billion chinese be WRONG???
(answer)= OFTEN!!! much LOVE LOSER"s!!Hope not to see you Oprah!! or Harpo!! Or ??

Posted by: jmb137405 | June 7, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jezebel3 | June 5, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure Oprah didn't even go to college.
The dangerous thing with her and these supposed "experts" on things is that people want black and white answers and a lot of times there AREN'T. What causes autism? Although there's evidence suggesting things, science just doesn't know yet. How can cancer be cured all the time? Medicine isn't there. I was always taught to be wary of people who claim to have all the answers and that's exactly what a lot of the peddlers on Oprah seem to do.

Posted by: candle96 | June 8, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

I have to agree with the comment that if normal doctors were doing their jobs and educating their patients people like Oprah wouldn't even exist. If people had less nonsense to complain about daytime TV would cease to be and PBS would rule. I guess the average person would rather be filled with propaganda during a day at home than learn something new and tangible. Another American disgrace, woohoo.

Posted by: MisterJ8 | June 9, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse