Posted at 7:33 PM ET, 06/25/2009

Share Your Michael Jackson Memories

By Liz Kelly

Michael Jackson performs at Super Bowl XXVII in 1993. (AP)

Michael Jackson died Thursday at 50 after paramedics rushed the erstwhile King of Pop to a Los Angeles hospital. In recent years, his prodigious talent had been overshadowed by a personal life fraught with court cases, financial distress and -- it must be said -- an element of the absurd as the reclusive singer withdrew further into a world in which his three children wore veils in public and the man himself was rarely seen. All that seemed on the verge of changing as Jackson prepped to kick off a series of concerts in London on July 13 -- his first in several years.

His very rise to stardom -- from chart dominance to glitter-covered glove to Bubbles the chimp to Blanket the baby -- defined the dual nature of celebrity and its ability to both venerate and eviscerate.

But many of us have indelible good memories of Jackson that predate the court cases, the surgery, the baffling behavior. For me, he conjures images of junior high school dances punctuated with gawky moonwalks, the anticipation of waiting for his 13-minute long "Thriller" video to finally premiere on MTV in 1983 and always, always as the bright-eyed smiling kid who had the charisma to lead his brothers up the charts as the frontman of the Jackson 5.

Share your memories of Michael Jackson here and what, if anything, you plan to do to mark his passing. Does one of Jackson's songs resonate for you or perfectly crystallize a moment of your life? I'll be checking back throughout the evening to moderate.

By Liz Kelly  | June 25, 2009; 7:33 PM ET
Categories:  Michael Jackson
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Breaking: Michael Jackson Dead -- LA Times Report
Next: Michael Jackson Passed Tour Physical; Billy Bob Thornton's Daughter Charged with Murder

Comments

i remember seeing the tiger on the cover of thriller and wanting the album just because i liked the way it looked. little did i know that that purchase would start an admiration for one of the greatest performers of all time. we miss you michael.

Posted by: asifb | June 25, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Very sad day - we've lost an enormously talented performer.

Posted by: lesliej1 | June 25, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

As a black woman the same age as Michael, I remember the Jackson Five on TV. It was truly special to watch them perform at a time when prejudice and racism was high. They instilled a sense of pride. There will never be another Michael Jackson. He was the consumate performer and talented in ways that we have not seen since. His appeal crossed over racial lines. His influence on R&B and Pop will live forever. Thriller is one of a kind. MTV would not be what it is today if it were not for Michael. He was a music legend, an American icon, and a talented Black man.

Posted by: llerehs | June 25, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

After reading the chat today and worrying about deaths in 3's, I never would have imagined that it would be MJ who rounded out the troika of Ed McMahon and Farrah Fawcett.

Posted by: scarlett_85 | June 25, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

I had exactly the same thought, scarlett. Didn't see this one coming.

As odd as he became, Michael Jackson's music is timeless.

Posted by: ASinMoCo | June 25, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Mike, Motown & Hollywood. All on Sunset Blvd. Michaels Sunset was Tort Action last year for 6 billion dollars. Staggering sum, Michael settled out of court, to Suadi Arabian. It is most likely that ALL Michaels future work would be of NO account & by statutory, Michael can retire name of Charcter. Its reflection of Societies communication upon artists message.

Locally, another Jackson, Bre' Jackson worked in NCAA Field.Bre' Is Strong Promoter of Blackness. Neighbors Are Ms. Johnson, Just Think MAGIC.Each BandHouse Is Collection of Performers Trained in Characters Style & Often limited To Shows They Control of Local Events. So Jackson/Johnson Family has its Ups & Downs.

Madonna already split with Jackson Troupe & other properties will, No Doubt continue under Mr. Jacksons' Command. Thats way it is with ones property.

Too Bad, Yet Valurability Had To End.

Signed:PHYSICIAN THOMAS STEWART von DRASHEK M.D.

Posted by: thomasxstewart | June 25, 2009 8:09 PM

Posted by: thomasxstewart1 | June 25, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Sad, sad, sad. Michael Jackson was my very first:

Posted by: thatcathood | June 25, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Ah...Third Grade...1983-1984...

We sat in the back of the classroom listening to the Thriller album on the record player with big giant ear phones. Possibly the greatest birthday present ever was the Thriller shirt I got from my friend Holly - she had a pink one and I got the matching blue one. Just LOVED the Thriller album - still do. And it helped to make 3rd grade on of my favorites.

Posted by: suzannepdc | June 25, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

I am the exact same age as Michael Jackson. I'm sure every black girl in the 70's had a crush on Michael Jackson as I did. Remember the Right-on Magazines with the posters in them of Michael and The Jackson 5? Even though his latter life was filled with trouble and scandal, he will live on as the greatest entertainer in musice history. Rest in peace, Micheal.

Posted by: grwall5459 | June 25, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

I was 8 years old when Thriller came out, and it was one of the first albums I ever owned. (yes, we called them albums then)I fell in love with it immediately, but was too scared to play the title track once it was dark outside. I was half-fascinated, half-frightened by the video, which I had to watch on the sly at friends' because my parents banned MTV in our house.
It wasn't until I was older that I discovered earlier stuff and came to appreciate the Jackson 5. Although when ever I listen to his voice it is inextricably linked with the scandals of the more recent years, I can't help but think how that little 11-year-old would blow the water out of most adult and teen pop performers today. Truly a gift that over the years was abused, exploited, and twisted. May he finally find peace.

Posted by: candle96 | June 25, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

My first cassette was "Bad". And I remember watching the world premiere of the Thriller video.

Posted by: g3rd80 | June 25, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

I am the exact same age as Michael Jackson. I'm sure every black girl in the 70's had a crush on Michael Jackson as I did. Remember the Right-on Magazines with the posters in them of Michael and The Jackson 5? Even though his latter life was filled with trouble and scandal, he will live on as the greatest entertainer in music history. Rest in peace, Micheal.

Posted by: grwall5459 | June 25, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Thriller and Beat It are forever etched into my childhood consciousness. I still find myself dancing to those two songs as a 30 year old man. It's too bad that his eccentricities and bizarre behavior reduced him into a punchline during the last 10-15 years of his life.

Posted by: jabreal00 | June 25, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

I remember getting the Triller album on cassette tape when I was 10 years old. I literally played it over and over until it broke. It was a sad day for me, but I think my parents were secretly happy.

I suspect that the way we are feeling is the way our parents felt when Elvis died. Sad day.

Posted by: megtheegg | June 25, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

I grew up watching Michael and his brothers singing "I Want You Back" (still one of my favorite songs) and "ABC" on variety shows. I even watched the J5 cartoon on Saturday mornings (what was that pair of mice and snake all about?).

There's a great clip of him and Janet (she's all of 10 or so) on the Jacksons variety show doing Sonny and Cher. It's so corny, but they look happy!

I scored tickets on the field for the Jacksons' Victory Tour at RFK in 1984. By then Michael was way more famous than his brothers, so he made a separate grand entrance in something resembling a spaceship.

Of course the minute the music started everyone was out of their seats, so I spent most of the time watching him on the jumbotron and sneaking peeks over the crowd at this four-inch-high (from my seats) figure moonwalking across the stage. Even that far away, we were all mesmerized by his amazing dancing.

You forget just how many great songs he had, and just how talented he was.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | June 25, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

I remember being five years old and me and my twin sister begging our mom to let us watch the premiere of Michael Jackson's thriller music video on MTV. It was a big event in our house....family and friends came over to watch. At five Michael became my idol and has been ever since. This is truly a sad day, we have lost a true legend and an amazing talent that has contributed so much to pop culture. Rest in peace Michael!!

Posted by: mpage81 | June 25, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

I grew up with the Jackson 5 and identified with their styles and music. As sad and regretable Michels death is, its speakes volumes to the fact that there seems to be a higher power in control of our future. Sometimes it seems cruel and unjust but in a way fare.

May he rest in peace.

Posted by: VisionAM | June 25, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Michael and Janet as Sonny and Cher:

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | June 25, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

As a William & Mary alum, have to post the link to this video of the W&M students who recently broke the record for largest assembly of "Thriller" dancers. I vividly remember busting out this same choreography in front of the TV, with my girlfriends from sixth grade.

Posted by: Jen_Chaney | June 25, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Don't get me wrong "Billie Jean" is one of my favorite songs and I have such great memories of the whole Thriller era but boy the hyperbole is certainly out in full force. I was just watching the coverage on TV and they were interviewing who was comparing him to Mozart! That is hyper-hyperbole! I mean you might have a spirited debate comparing him to Elvis and The Beatles but to compare him to the genius of Mozart any sane person would realize that is ridiculous!

My sympathies go to his family and all his fans.

Posted by: dre7861 | June 25, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

I always suspected that Michael Jackson would have a sudden, tragic death. His life was just too bizarre to let him live to old age and die peacefully.

I'm stunned and saddened because I really didn't want to be right about this. I was really hoping that this comeback tour would turn his life around enough so that he could retire gracefully and stay out of the tabloids. What a damn shame.

Posted by: Tirade1 | June 25, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Elvis part 2 is dead....bummer

Posted by: LongTimeSkinsFan | June 25, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

It goes to prove that one should NEVER assume tomorrow is promised. In the words of Michael's sister, Janet, in "Why Did I Get Married"...."The Greatest Achievement for Any Human Being is to Love God, Yourself, and Others" -- MJ loved so many in his life and was loved by all who heard his music, saw his dancing & acting, or heard him share his heart. Such great loss to so many. Such great loss for us all. :(

Posted by: JaiWright10 | June 25, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

I also remember sitting around with generations to watch the premier of Rmember the Time and Man in Mirror.
Liz, did we do this talking bout the death trifecta?

Posted by: mdem929 | June 25, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

I know, kind of scary mdem -- but the rule of celebrity death trios continues unchecked. It is surprising that no. 3 was MJ, though.

Posted by: Liz Kelly | June 25, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

I distinctly remember not wanting to watch the "scary video" at our 5th grade dance. I stood in a corner of the cafeteria with about 3 other girls while the teachers proudly played the video.

Then, Man in the Mirror takes me back to my year as an exchange student outside Vienna, Austria, where the choir I sang in did the piece - and somehow the video was still playing - loved the morphing faces

Posted by: alisoncsmith | June 25, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

I remember Off the Wall but Thriller especially because that video proved that he was a visionary! MTV needs to cut MJ a check because Thriller was the only reason to watch that network in its infancy. Furthermore, I loved his videos with supermodels Iman and Naomi Campbell as well as Butterflies and You Rocked My World.

This is an end of an era. Rest in peace MJ, the King of Pop. There is no successor to his throne!

Posted by: phenomena1 | June 25, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Jen Chaney points out that MTV Jams is running non-stop MJ videos.

My favorite Jackson song? Probably "Billie Jean."

That seems to go for PostRock's David Malitz, too:

Posted by: Liz Kelly | June 25, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Funny thing about Billie Jean...as a kid, I never really knew what it was about. I distinctly remember hearing it as an adult and having an "ah hah!" moment when I realized the underlying theme.

Posted by: megtheegg | June 25, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Among celebrity reactions, Madonna says she "can't stop crying":

Posted by: Liz Kelly | June 25, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Michael and the rest of the Jacksons were an integral part of my adolescence in the late '60s/early '70s. I probably listened to their early albums every day when I was a tween and a teen. I had a crush on Jermaine, but Michael was so cute and talented. I prefer to remember those days -- before he became so eccentric and pathetic; he seemed unhappy everywhere but on stage.

Posted by: liberalguilt57 | June 25, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

The death of any one is always a sad occassion. Jackson was a very talented man, but he was also a predator...I am glad that alot of little boys will be safe. The amount of carnage he created in the lives of many innocent children will never be known.

Posted by: tlusk58 | June 25, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

What a sad week this has been.

Posted by: jjgrah | June 25, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

I was so rooting for this comeback tour, but he'll continue to tour, and sing and dance until the end of time. Yes there were the scandals and trials but they are trumped by the enormous talent that will never be duplicated nor replicated. His music was the soundtrack of my life and will continue to be so. RIP MJ!!

Posted by: 72Redskins | June 25, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

I am devasted by the untimely death of the KING OF POP. I always attended his concerts here in Washington, DC. We are waiting on President Obama to honor Michael by lowering the U.S. Flags across the country.

Posted by: bill121 | June 25, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

I had worked as an actor on Moonwalker back in '87 or 88 (can't recall at the moment).

I was only about 12 or 13 at the time, but do remember catching a glimpse of him walking to his trailer along with many of his security team. He had been wearing his "Bad" outfit at the time and looked really cool. I did manage to take a quick photo of him and he's looking directly in the lens and had that smile that everyone knows

Posted by: ghofnerbass | June 25, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

I won't pretend to be the biggest MJ fan ever, but growing up in the late 60s and 70s I listened to the Osmonds and Jackson 5 with equal fervor. I loved Donny (yes, I'll admit it) but always felt that MJ was the greatest talent.
I liked his solo stuff, especially the Thriller & Off the Wall albums, but even his talent couldn't overcome my aversion to his increasingly erratic behavior.
In the end, I felt pity, more for his children than for him. I can't help but think that there was much more he could have accomplished but the issues of his past were more than he could overcome.
Condolences to his family and friends.

Posted by: pras40 | June 25, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

I had a feeling this whack job didn't have much time. Although I know his music was enjoyed by many he was a pedophile who got away with it because he is a beloved celebrity. Children everywhere should feel a little safer now.

Posted by: gadadavida | June 25, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

tlusk58 wrote: I am glad that alot of little boys will be safe. The amount of carnage he created in the lives of many innocent children will never be known.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Michael Jackson was acquitted of all molestation charges and tlusk58 has no proof whatsoever that any boys were abused. Quite to the contrary, Michael Jackson provided substantial joy, financial assistance, and love to thousands of underpriviledged children.

Michael Jackson's famous glove should be enshrined in the Smithsonian Museum of American History.

Posted by: ashafer_usa | June 25, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

In recent years there has been a lot of question about his character, but I love his music. Every time his songs pull up I smile and dance. I'll continue to do so and listen to Michael Jackson's music in the coming day and years :)

Posted by: ideallydc | June 25, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Fortunately for his family he's already embalmed.

Posted by: patrick3 | June 25, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

I don't know that I have ever been so shocked to hear of a celebrity's death. I grew up on Michael Jackson. He is the first star I ever remember seeing on TV. I still can't believe this.

Posted by: PepperDr | June 25, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

I grew up on Michael J. He was my & every other little girl boyfirend!! I loved his music from the beginning until present day. He will always be the Greatest Entertainer of all times to me. Despite all the negative media coverage I never passed judgement and always respected him for the "Musical Genius" that he was and will always be !! RIP Michael J. You're always be my boy & I love you...

Posted by: Jewel_Drinkard | June 25, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

I was texting my friend Danny as i was crying when i heard he was dead. i start to check my email and everywhere i went i saw a title with Jacksons Dead or something like that. It made me cry even more. i told danny that michael totally reinvented dance and is parcially if not completely responsable for the dance jazz. I take dance. i told Danny i was crying and his response was "Dance." . Thats what i did! call me weird but i felt like michael was helping me. In the mirror i looked so passionate and strong. I drew a portrait i call "We Love You Micheal" i want to post it but i dont know how :(

Posted by: guyluver49z | June 25, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Poor Michael Jackson -- dying the same day as Farrah. He was in some ways even more talented, but he will be utterly ignored in the days ahead, as she was a true legend and icon.

I wish his family well, regardless. The kid had talent. Too bad he never outgrew the Jackson Five.

Posted by: StaffSgtAmerica | June 25, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Although his post Thriller Music Career is kind of cheesy, he was unlike any pop artist of the 20th Century. He single handidly integrated MTV. I was eight when I saw Motown 25 back in 1983 ! (my brothers taped it on BetaMax when it first aired) and I had the red leather Beat it Jacket!, Watched the Wiz when it came on Thanksgiving. When my family moved to Africa every kid dressed like Michael Jackson circa Thriller (even the barber had one hairstyle for the masses - "The Michael" - enough said) In my teens I prefered Janet over Michael (she was the normal one right?) funny thing my ipod now is filled with Michael Jackson Off the Wall and Beat it. RIP Michael.

Posted by: sunnyside1 | June 25, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sunnyside1 | June 25, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

I just remember being dazzled by him each and every time one of his songs would come on -- record, radio, or TV. My copy of "Thriller" got a ton of wear. I guess this is still true.

When news of his hospitalization broke today, my first thought was that if clapping works in the "Peter Pan" play, maybe we could help him if we could just sing or dance hard enough, all together....
but it was already to late by then, wasn't it?

Posted by: Fruitfly1 | June 25, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

He had some genuine talent, although it wasn't apparent in the last 30 years or so.

How awful for him to die on the same day as Farrah Fawcett-Majors, who was a real star. I hope somebody notices that he also died this day. A minor star but a genuine one, in many many ways.

Posted by: StaffSgtAmerica | June 25, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

I was 7, it was my best friend's birthday. Her mother reluctantly took us to a Jackson 5 concert here in DC.

When Thriller came out, I brought my record player to the garage and all the neighborhood teenagers came over and we danced in the driveway.

I don't know if he was guilty or not. I do know he was a supremely talented man with a seriously troubled soul due entirely to his lack of anything even resembling normal childhood. I pray he rests in peace at last.

Posted by: cwhere | June 25, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

I have no love loss for, Jackson period.

Jackson was just a prepackaged pop star, who used his celebrity to exploit children.

As far as "musical talent" goes,, 'He-He' had none.

Jackson will never be held in the same regard as,,,,
Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Clapton, Albert Collins, BB King, Danny Gatton.

Moreover Jackson, will not be studied in the halls of Carnegie Mellon or Boston Conservatory, like the aforementioned musicians.

Bottom line. Jackson was a freak show for all the world to see. And he loved it.

Posted by: dashriprock | June 25, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

I remember watching the thriller video when it first came out. I was 5 or 6. I was so scared I hid behind the couch. Michael Jackson was the first concert that I went to. I remember it well. I still love his music to this day. Rest in Peace Michael.

Posted by: jaxnc06 | June 25, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Liz - Thanks for posting such a powerful banner pic of Michael. So many news sites are showing not-so-flattering pictures that (to me) detract from the memory of the impressive musician he was. The soundtrack of my youth included amazing songs such as Billie Jean, Thriller, P.Y.T., Smooth Criminal, Beat It and, yes, even Ebony and Ivory. (sigh...)

R.I.P. Michael. You have "gone too soon".

Posted by: bluegreensardine | June 25, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Normally I would be at the Post. But I am in Memphis. When I heard about Michael's death I went to the Loraine Motel where Dr.Martin Luther King died far too early in his life. As a child I remember Martin and Michael. Now both are gone. Gone is the young man who was my idle growing up, but his songs will last for every ABC, The Love You Save and my favorite I'LL Be There. I got a chance to speak to Michael once as he left the White House. He was being honored as Artist of the Decade. I remember when he rolled down the window and greeted a group of children and a reporter trying to kneel down to get an interview. When asked what he wanted to tell his fans, he said simply, "Tell them that I love them." Michael Jackson had his shortcomings but he was genius who had a whole lot of love to give.

Posted by: hamil238 | June 25, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

I was on the elliptical at the gym this afternoon watching CNN as the whole story unfolded. When they confirm that he had died, tears came to my eyes. He was the Elvis of my generation. May he still be moonwalking.

Posted by: beaker1 | June 25, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

I remember being bored to death by his later stuff. But he was a talented boy. There is a good chance that "I'll be there" will still be played on occasion, even five years from now!

Posted by: StaffSgtAmerica | June 25, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

The song ABC was one of the first 45's I ever bought. I'm a year younger than Michael and when his Off the Wall album came out it was played at every single party I went to throughout the entire summer.

Posted by: possumlady1 | June 25, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

The first time I saw Michael Jackson on tv, I was smitten. I went through elementary school with posters of him all of my walls, and each of the posters had a little heart sticker on his face that I would kiss goodnight every night. Sticker albums were hot then, and I had a sticker album dedicated to him. I just loved him. From Off the Wall, Thriller, Bad...I thought he was amazing. He had some serious issues but I will always remember the happiness he brought to my childhood.

Posted by: dboe16 | June 25, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

I would count him among the ten or fifteen top soul singers of all time. That's pretty good, considering he never made a decent record after the age of 15.

In some ways, he might be considered the Dennis Wilson of soul. Or maybe even Ringo. In any event, I'm sorry that he is gone, although he is distinctly minor.

Posted by: StaffSgtAmerica | June 25, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

I know that I'm not alone in my love for Michael Jackson, I truly am sad and he will be missed by the entire world. Rest in peace my Pop Angel.

Posted by: LisLis1971 | June 25, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

I always thought it was just so very sad.

His unusual upbringing and I'm sure the constant adulation he received from a very young age made him what he was as an adult. Too much of the good stuff (admit - if you didn't own Thriller, you at least knew the songs on it if you're of a certain age) will be overshadowed by the later bad stuff.

Truly, RIP.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | June 25, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

I was five years old when Michael Jackson was doing his promotional tour for the Off the Wall album. My mother took me to the Kemp Mill record store in Oxon Hill to see him doing an in-store promotion. I remember his black limo pulling up in front of the store. When I saw him walk in, I screamed and ran out. One of his handlers tried to show me his microphone. It was covered in rhinestones. I was still terrified and ran out again.

Posted by: anna14 | June 25, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

This dead person is not worth all of this grief. Every sun has to set.

Posted by: mock1ngb1rd | June 25, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Thriller was the first western song I had ever seen-and the first album I ever bought. I still remember being up at night as a child and watching 'Beat it', 'Billie Jean', and 'Thriller'. I wish I had a chance to see him on stage. There will never be anyone like him!

I don't care about his personal life.

Posted by: athene111 | June 25, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

I am extremely devastated about Michael Jackson's passing....I have always been one of his biggest fans.....We even share(d) the same birthday...[I'm one year older].

My favorite birthday gift when I was 14 was tickets to go to see The Jackson Five. And, when Michael came on stage it was electrifying. I had photos of Michael's photo covering my entire bedroom wall for years. I pray that "The King of Pop" can finally rest in peace and pray that his passing will not become a media circus.

Please pray for peace for his children, family and for those of us who truly loved him.

God Bless!

Posted by: 4DJ2 | June 25, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

The boy definitely had talent. I'm not sure that it was passed on to the man.

Did Mike Jackson ever do anything good after the Jackson Five? "Thriller" wasn't thrilling at all.

And how awful to have the dreadful Madonna say anything about Jackson. A little like having LeRoy Neiman talk about Picasso. Such silly people!

Posted by: StaffSgtAmerica | June 25, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

I remember growing up with his music - we learned to dance to it and kept on dancing to it - even in our 30s and 40s. I remember a friend of mine and I had the final words to "Wanna be startin somethin" on our bedroom walls - the part about "Hold your head up high and scream out to the world - I know I am someone and let the truth unfurl..." How sad to lose icons from both the 70s and 80s today, and one, a man who shaped the entire musical world.

Posted by: enfj_99 | June 25, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Innocent people don't pay out $20 million in huss money.

Posted by: tlusk58 | June 25, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

i distinctly remember watching the "black or white" video on television for the first time. on november 14, 1991, i was 10 years old. my baby brother was about to turn 4. our parents went out, and we were home with a babysitter, who put on fox in time for the world premiere.

Posted by: rubyx4soho | June 25, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Michael Jackson was NOT the King of Pop - this was a name he gave himself and demanded that anyone who was around him used. This is one passing that the world is better off for. Good bye and good riddance

Posted by: wgardens | June 25, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

WaPo took me off because I used the word pervert!

Posted by: mortified469 | June 25, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Have you ever seen the Steve Martin version of the Billie Jean video? It's hilarious.

What about Weird Al Yankovic? Has anyone heard a comment from him?

Posted by: ResidentDC85 | June 25, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

I remember my sister and I staying up late Friday nights to watch "Friday Night Videos" to see Michael Jackson - either "Billie Jean" or my all time favorite, "Beat It". Jackson was my introduction to rock - what a solo by Eddie Van Halen! He broke down racial barriers, including in my own home.

Posted by: hysteria_625 | June 25, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse

This might have been a sad story 20 years ago, but, sorry, this guy has been irrelevant for a long time now.

Posted by: justmike | June 25, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

I have fond memories of cutting class with three girl friends every Thursday afternoons at Morningside HS in Inglewood and taking three buses to get to Encino, CA just to stand in front of the family home...just hoping for a glimpse of MJ. We would shriek everytime we saw a shadow pass in front of a window. I owned and memorized every MJ album and admit that even today...."Ben" brings me to tears. RIP "Micky J"

Posted by: havahart | June 25, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Actually Resident, I have a call in to Weird Al's people to see if I can get a quote. Fingers crossed.

Posted by: Liz Kelly | June 25, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

It was shocking and very sad to hear of Michael Jackson’s death. Our thoughts and prayers are with his children and his family. Michael gave a very stirring speech several years ago at Oxford. His speech was interrupted three times while he wept over the sadness of an empty life that so many people live. You can read a tribute to Michael Jackson as well as excerpts of his Oxford speech by copying and pasting the link below into your browser.

Posted by: heaven4sure | June 26, 2009 12:31 AM | Report abuse

One of my favorite memories will always be watching the Motown 25 special where he did the moonwalk....classic. Oh how I loved Michael Jackson. He created the best videos. NO ONE has been able to top them--from Billie Jean to Thriller, to Black or White...he was truly the world's greatest entertainer.
And for the haters who say he's irrelevant, didn't have talent, etc... fortunately MILLIONS of people disagree with you

Posted by: 39aka94 | June 26, 2009 12:44 AM | Report abuse

Wow.

Lessee... 1973, the Puerto Rican girls liked the Jacksons and the white girls liked the Osmonds. Me? I was a Motown gal all the way. Loved Michael Jackson. He could take a song that was someone else's--"Got to Be There," "Rockin' Robin," "I Was Born to Love You" and absolutely make you forget anyone else had ever sung it.

He was brilliant as the Scarecrow in "The Wiz" and it makes you wonder if he had a more normal childhood, what a brilliant actor he could have been.

For me, the breakthrough was "Off the Wall." It was his first collaboration with Quincy Jones after his appearance in "The Wiz." Everything that came after that was just icing on the cake.

And now, I show my kids the little Lego videos people made from "Thriller" and I show them the old videos on You Tube. They learned about Michael Jackson's death today. Imagine an entire generation of youngsters who were not familiar with Jackson as a current star hearing word of his death and understanding the importance of this loss.

One can say that once someone reaches adulthood, there are no excuses for one's actions. However, there are people, like Michael Jackson who were so damaged in childhood that you really have to put all his strangeness in that context.

Posted by: mdreader01 | June 26, 2009 12:50 AM | Report abuse

I took my son and my niece to the Thriller concert at RFK. It was unbelievable. We danced in the aisle. Rest in peace, dear Michael. You left a song in our hearts.

Posted by: jaladner | June 26, 2009 1:45 AM | Report abuse

Although I never saw Michael Jackson perform, I did see Bob Marley perform live at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago 2 years before his death. Marley had immense charisma and it filled the entire theater. As soon as he appeared on stage, the audience sprang to their feet, and never sat down for the duration of the concert.

I rate the Marley concert the best I attended in my life. And though I haven't been to many concerts, I have seen the Stones live, and enjoy festivals, etc., Bob Marley always remains the most vivid and spiritual experience. I expect for those who saw Michael Jackson perform, he inspired that same type of universal energy and, yes, love. I bet he was simply electric to watch live onstage.

We will miss him.

But never forget him.

Posted by: zen99 | June 26, 2009 1:52 AM | Report abuse

Michael Jackosn what a wonderful gift we were given...Let us just give thanks for that gift and send warm, loving thoughts, light a candle, send positive energy to Michael. He now needs all of our love and positive energy. Let's forget ourselves and remember someone who gave us the courage to laugh, sing, celebrate or just dream.

Love,

a fan

Posted by: AlohaRee | June 26, 2009 2:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: StaffSgtAmerica | June 25, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

========================

What's your point in coming here? You seem intent on saying nasty things, trying to diminish his stature through your poorly reasoned assessments. As though you are the arbiter or musical taste. You really have nothing more to do than come here and poke at a legend while others are mourning him? How sick.

Take a hike, mister.

Posted by: zen99 | June 26, 2009 2:10 AM | Report abuse

I am only 18 years old but i have been the bigest fan ever of MICHAEL JACKSON he was a hip hop legen and i will never for get him i hope we keep his name alive by saying it every day my favert song of his was THRILLER i love that song i no the dance to that song and i no how much efert it tool to mack that song/movie and i love IT........................ I LOVE YOU M.J R.I.P.

Posted by: nessa95 | June 26, 2009 4:02 AM | Report abuse

"The Thriller" is gone. He will be missed.

Posted by: Boomerang1 | June 26, 2009 4:57 AM | Report abuse

I wrote this a few years ago when I heard an article about the hotel rooms he grew up in.

Advice to Michael

Neverland
Is such an ironic name
Can't they hear?
Can't they think?
The land where boys never grew up
The Lost Boys

Chaos
And you must have been
So frightened
Lost
Pressure to sing
As the star

Locked your core self away
To keep it safe

My childhood
Was scary too

I started my search
With a dream
Of a dark hole
From which came the sound
Of monsters
Howling

I was scared

I went to the hole
anyway
scared
of the howling

The hole was dark
And roots stuck out of the side
Like reaching fingers

They howled

I bathed them
And diapered them
And fed them
And rocked them

They howled
They didn't know what to do
When taken care of

I named them
Fear
Grief
Shame

At last they stopped howling
And sat
Warm
Wrapped in blankets
Ugly
Sullen
Lower lips thrust out

And I found a shrink
To talk about my dream
And to help heal the monsters
That I had rescued

We always have more
Work to do
But now I have a little girl
Inside me
Who came to greet me
When I had healed the monsters
Enough
She is beautiful

You won't find
The Lost Boy
That you are looking for
Outside you
He is inside
He is innocent
And beautiful

You may have to face
The monsters
Of your childhood
To reach him
Yours was worse than mine
I'm sorry

You may have to face
How much people you loved
Hurt you
Even though they loved you
I'm sorry

Find help
And rescue
The Lost Boy
And joy

Good luck.

Posted by: Ottaway | June 26, 2009 7:11 AM | Report abuse

"I'll be checking back throughout the evening to moderate."

Hey everyone, let's just focus on his good side and forget about all that child molestation stuff.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | June 26, 2009 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Michael Jackson was a true "Global Legend". Most artists popularity is usually confined within their culture or country, but Michael was able to cross that boundary although most of his compositions were in English

American has disconnect with rest of the world on few thing like Soccer, Bill Clinton and Michael. There are the items where America's perception and world perceptions are totally different. America has focus on trivial details while the rest of the world have enjoyed the great joy to thier presence on the earth.

At this point only other Global icon left is "Bill Clinton". Obama can become one if he can rescue the world economy and have amazing success over 8 years of his presidency.

Posted by: SeedofChange | June 26, 2009 8:08 AM | Report abuse

My heart goes out to his family and friends. The lost of a great entertainer will be greatly missed. People can judge him and make there comments, but God is the only one that will Judge! My heart goes out to his mother. My prayers are with you and the family and friends at this very difficult time.

Posted by: sylfriend | June 26, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

I was born the same year as Michael Jacson and all my life I have been hearing about Michael Jackson. This is a terrible loss and he truly is the "king of pop" my heart goes out to his family in this terrible time of need. You will truly be missed Michael. You were my idle but your legacy goes on forever. I am thankfull to the Jackson family for give us such a great person to remember. May you rest in peace.

Posted by: RCHERMARK | June 26, 2009 8:13 AM | Report abuse

We are so blessed to have had the opportunity to experience one of the most profound expressions of love in the world.
Michael enriched our lives with the brilience of his talent. His special ability which he metaphorically transposed our perceptions to address not only the beauty of life, as well as its peculiarities.
The resounding message that he transformed "it dosen't matter if you are black, or you are white ", the physical transistion that in life, as he epitomized the message of the "Man in the Mirror" . For us are special examples that bore testiment to his faith ,as well as to his afflictions.
His passing may be have been the last best gift he could have given the world, as hard as it may be to accept, his legacy as we reflect, the expressions of humanity he challanged our senses to see.
Thanks Micheal for touching our minds , and our hearts, till we meet again.

Posted by: graymatter11 | June 26, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

I remember so much about Michael Jackson starting from ABC, I Want You Back, Never Can Say Goodbye, Farewell My Summer Love...and the list goes on and on. Then there's the Jackson 5 cartoon. I'm am just devastated and shocked. I broke down in tears coming into work this morning listening to his song "Leave Me Alone" because that's all he wanted and I can relate. Michael Jackson will reign and live in millions of hearts FOREVER! May he REST IN PEACE regardless of what is said or has happened. We all have our imperfections but that doesn't make you any less than some of the other crazy whackos we have in the world. I love you Michael Jackson....GONE TOO SOON you are.

Posted by: trandolph_66712003 | June 26, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Like so many other people have said on here, people all over the world over the last 35-40 years have grown up with Michael Jackson and his music. He has made such an impact on the music industry today. I don't think there is an R&B/Hip-Hop/Pop artist that hasn't been influenced by him in some way.

I'm 27 currently, and the only time I ever saw him in concert was at the "United We Stand: What More Can I Give?" 9/11 benefit concert in Washington D.C., that he organized. He was my inspiration for singing as a kid and has been my inspiration behind anything musical that I've done.

My only hope and prayer for him and his memory now is that people overlook the personal problems that he had over the last 15 years and remember him for what he was, a true musucal monarch, a megalith of talent and an overall wonderful (which doesn't even begin to describe his music) musician.

Despite how much people have disliked him in the past, I believe that everyone now is remembering the good he did. It is my feeling that he is our generation's Elvis. He will become much what Elvis became after he died, people seeing him everywhere, not quite believing he is dead, but rather out of site. He will become more famous now and will definitely be remembered as a milestone of our culture.

Posted by: Darkvette | June 26, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Disney World in 1988 - "Thriller" in 3D at I think Epcot? I remember being slightly scared of the zombies, but impressed by the dancing (I was 4).

The world television premiere of "Black or White" in 1991 - as a kid without cable who didn't see many music videos, the prime-time premiere was a BIG DEAL and everyone was singing the song for weeks afterward.

Posted by: KS8284 | June 26, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

During the quiet oppressive desperation of the 80s, when the young black youth had NOTHING else, WE found HIM. WE of the Boogie-down of the Chi of the Chocolate City of the Dirty South of the West Coast of any city of every town. WE >>LOVED<< HIM. Not liked THEY loved HIM, but only as WE could love HIM.

THEY had Malcolm and Martin. THEY had Elvis and the Beetles. THEY had Mays and Musial. But, HE belonged to US.

So when THEY loved HIM, THEY loved US. Finally, WE were beautiful. WE were magical. We were stars. Yes, WE were SUPER.

Now WE mourn not just the passing of HIM but the part of US HE gave that WE did not keep.

- Clenon Willis

Posted by: TrueThat | June 26, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

After hearing about Farrah, my first thought was "who's next: Michael Jackson or Liz Taylor?" - was shocked to see the news later that afternoon. That being said, I remember crowding around a tv with my 8th grade crew watching Thriller premiere on MTV. I'm thankful that I still have my Thriller album (and a turntable on which to rock it): my two year old thinks mommy was very funny dancing last night to MJ. 25+ years later that album still holds up. RIP!

Posted by: katerwaul | June 26, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

I turned 46 yesterday and I grew up on the music of the Jackson 5. From the early 70's to the mid to late 70's, I saw the Jackson Five six times in concert in Cleveland. I used to scream my head off at these shows. They put on the most professional shows I have ever seen. Hearing that the Jackson 5 were coming to town was part of the highlights of my growing up. Just like another person said, I used to buy Right On magazine and cut out pictures to add to my wall collection. There was another magazine, I believe it was Black Stars, that used to have nice pictures of the group, too. Everybody talks about Michael's moonwalk, but my favorite dance of his was the robot. Nobody could do this dance like Michael. He made it his own. I love watching clips of the Jackson Five performing Dancing Machine, especially when Michael does the robot. I remember watching the Jackson Five's cartoon and being excited whenever they would appear on tv. I also had the opportunity to get the group's autographs when I was 12 years old. It was a Monday in August at Hopkins Airport in Cleveland. It was after the Jackson Five had performed for a week at the Front Row Theater. I was not expecting this at all. I realized later in life that this wasn't a coincidence, that God causes things to happen for a reason. It so happened that I met Michael, my favorite Jackson, last. I thank God that I had this opportunity to meet my favorite group and I thank Him that I was born in the era when Michael Jackson began his career. My heart and prayers go out to the Jackson family. I pray that Michael will rest in peace and that he will find a heavenly home in God's kingdom.

Posted by: adw6 | June 26, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

I was on the train going home from work. The passenger behind me received a call on his cell phone. When he said Michael Jackson dies. I dropped my purse and the newspaper I was reading on the floor. My mouth also dropped to the floor. I was totally shocked. MY HEART AND PRAYERS GO OUT TO THE JACKSON FAMILY.

Posted by: ccampbell1 | June 26, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

625 took away 2 friends, one with such fantastic beauty the other with pale skin. Both made me smile, cry, laugh and scream they took me to the moon then walked me home again.

She thrilled me until I blushed but when Charlie spoke, he most definitely ended the rush.

Intense and rare beauty that blinded most from her true courage and strength, we got caught up in scripted words, teeth and not what was heaven sent.

She had to show us in her last moments, how strong she really was what a woman she did this without clothes, makeup or a gun.

We applied the number 10 to you in life but know that you are way beyond that in the after life.

Thank you God for allowing her to hear our applause, not long enough but she knew of our love.

Strange how I loved them both but they loved us too and we gave them their rush that resonated with them too.

When he hit the stage all his fears lifted away; he gave us a show that only he and God invented and presented.

When he was in his zone he became the music, he played his body. He hit notes that made us shiver but the fear that paralyzed him was hidden beneath all that glittered.

Smooth and harmonic his voice, pale and paper thin his skin, frail his heart but he was still our friend.

Unfortunately, we didn't pay enough attention to the prison he was in; his body wouldn't allow the dimension his head was in.

We prayed he would find love, in the conventional way but I know he had love but in a most overwhelming way.

Lord, please light the ways to your kingdom for 2 of your children are on the way. We will miss them but will see them on another day.

I thank you for taking them together, though callous it may sound but I know that they will take care of each other on the way back to your grounds.

Amen

D. Thompson
Jessup Maryland.

Posted by: delgtjamaolcom | June 26, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I remember in 1973 going to Detroit to help my cousin celebrate her 13th birthday and seeing the Jackson 5. WOW! What an axciting moment and now memory. RIP Micheal you will be missed.
Cheryl W

Posted by: cwashington1 | June 26, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Michael Jackson was acquitted of all molestation charges
****
doesn't mean he wasn't guilty. the standard of proof is high in a criminal case and you never know what a jury will do, even in the case of overwhelming evidence. may i please refer you to the o.j. simpson matter.

michael jackson was a genius and put out one of the greatest albums. but that all declined due to his health and emotional issues. he became, to be kind, very strange. and while his music will always play on, there is little room in my life for the man. you can't separate one from the other. he came his own version of elvis in his later years.

Posted by: frieda406 | June 26, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

just finished listening to "the love you save" and "i want you back" with a tear. those songs were lightyears ago. the past few years have been devastating for mj. how in the world would he have done a tour that extended over 8 months, no matter how he was cosseted? you could just look at him, he was so frail and seemed weak and in pain, and think "no way". his death, while shocking, is not surprising. his musical influence, in terms of dancing, costumes, music, will last a long, long, long time.

Posted by: frieda406 | June 26, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

What a bunch of crap.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | June 26, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I've read all of your comments and I can agree with all of them. We all recognize that a part of us has now gone away, but Michael will live with us in his music. I never could fathom Michael aging to seniority, so this all makes sense to me. Michael will be remembered in his best time. My condolences to his family friends, and fans -- ALL OF US WILL MISS YOU - RIP.

Posted by: alligator10 | June 26, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Over the years while observing MJ I began to wonder deeply; wonder whether he, secretly, was disciple to some psychological tradition--perhaps a disciple of Pavlov and his case for Classical Conditioning. Reason being is that, I can think of no song writer/performer that can create sound, nor strike a key, so convincingly, and melodiously, that the listener, subconsciously, is compelled "to cut a rug", "shake their groove thing", as MJ can. The magic that MJ imbued through his art, through his personality, was/is insatiable, even posthumously the magic still invigorates, it lives, it breathes, it's an entity--we revolve around it, jockeying for position, just for the chance to be "warmed by its rays".

His talent, his life, has left an indelible impression on us all. Anyone with a pulse has been touched by the "rays", touched to the extent of "song association". Meaning that we have formed a link between time/place, mood/emotional state, foods, 1st kiss, 1st love, etc., to one, if not more, of MJ's timeless hits.

I for one fondly remember the 1st time I ever heard an MJ song (I'm welling up just thinking about it), I had just turned the age of 6 or 7 & my family was celebrating my birthday--and the song "Wanna be Startin' Somethin" was on deck. I tell you this, when that song began to play, there were people in my backyard whom I had never seen before--nor were they invited!! Look, there were passerby’s, a crowd, that just invited themselves in; they began popppin, shakin, and gettin loose in there. Did they realize that this was a party for a youngster? I guess when you got MJ on the turntable people tend to "forget themselves". My mother(rest her soul)was also guilty of "forgetting herself", particularly when the end chorus began to play(Help Me Sing, Ma Ma Se, Ma Ma Sa, Ma Ma Coo Sa Ma Ma Se, Ma Ma Sa,Ma Ma Coo Sa). Was sort of embarrassed by the display but would have never guessed that she could move like that!!

So, I want to thank MJ for helping to make the birthday party of an unknown, unpopular, little 6yr old boy, the place to be!! Thank you for the memories, MJ, it really meant plenty to me--still does.

Posted by: qwer1 | June 26, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alligator10 | June 26, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Even though you had a strange fascination with monkeys and little boys, took too many pain killers and bleached out your black skin, you still paved the way for people like President obama. I cannot believe he is hiding out and not saying something to comfort the nation during this tragic time.

Posted by: kenpasadena | June 26, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I have submit this blog in all time and space. Once it's out there, it will always be there.
Michael, I truly love you and felt for you and thought and still think you are one of the most talented people that ever existed!! But more than that you were a human who had a hard life, who was judged and made fun of. I never once did that. I always understood
R.I.P

Posted by: kmccue | June 26, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

R.I.P

Posted by: kmccue | June 26, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I really miss him. I feel like I want to share that with the community. He was a part of my youth, and that part is now missing...

Posted by: agkenner | June 26, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

by -TS- June 25, 2009 10:21 PM PDT
Whom Was Michael Jackson? Michael Jackson Was BlackSmith Whom Forged Iron of Our Red Hot Street, Taking ilBeGottons & thru Fire od Creativeity, Sparks & Hammering Beat of Rythmic Gesturing, New Self Awareness Was Forged. True Kinship With ALL Peoples. Truely One of Worlds GREATEST Artist. Going from Friends Family & Opening Market. Machael Jackson Took Arts To heights Never Thought Possible.

michael Jackson Was MAN of GREAT Devotion to Family & Humanity, Knowing of Special Position Michaels Family Had Carved For Jacksons,yet Humble. Caring Friendship that Molded Socieities Brethren Into True Self Appreciation & Pride.Michaels Skills Are Unsurpassed,Snipped By Fate or BAD Luck, Machael Jackson Will Never Be Replaced In Arts & Letters.

Had Michael Lived In Peace And Harmony AS Michael Sought, Near Shakespearean of Modern Age Was Emerging. Forger of Language & Culture, Introspective Eye, Now Upon Hard Works & Loves of Youth, Polictical Force, BAR None. Michael Jackson Generously Gave Talent To Video Sercves, ALL Over WEB, Shows Michaels Humbleness & Gratitude. Its Fright That Michael IS Gone. Unkowninf of Own Blessed Works. Us. Michaels Children of Delight, Will Hold Michael Jackson Dearly IN Our Hearts Until
Day We Die. too.

Signed:PHYSICIAN THOMAS STEWART von DRASHEK M.D.,D.D.,B.F.A

After My First reflection Early On,, Thought More Introspective on ARTS Michael Jackson Espoused would be in line, Helpul & additional comment. Michael IS Gone, Yet Jacksons remain, being Entire Point.

It Is Too BAD that Marrying Marie Presley Wound UP with same result as Elvis Had. Coincidence, Think NOT.

Posted by: ThomasStewart1 | June 26, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

What an appalling waste of a great talent.

Good riddance, Michael, you failed your test as a human being.

Posted by: cieljaune | June 26, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

It is very sad. I was hoping he could pull it together and do well at his London concerts this summer, but clearly he was too frail … Too much fame, too much money, too many enablers and exploiters.

I’ve been listening to his songs in my head all night and day … “Wanna Be Startin Something”, “Don’t Stop til You Get Enough”, “PYT”, etc. Great stuff. And I did have the good fortune to have seen him in concert 3 times, on the Jacksons’ “Victory” tour at RFK in ’85, then the ‘Bad’ tour at the Cap Centre in ’88, and finally at that post-9/11 fund-raiser show at RFK in ’01.

Best concert memory: at the Victory tour, when he did “She’s Out of My Life”, he got very quiet and the song paused, and he let out one of his trademark little “eh” yelps, and the entire stadium erupted, losing its collective mind. It was a great thing to witness.

He certainly brightened our lives.

Posted by: MNRV | June 26, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

When Thriller came out, there was a "making of" documentary released at the same time, where John Landis showed how he did the makeup, etc. There's a scene in the documentary where John Landis is actually tickling Michael on the bottom of his foot (I know, weird), but I remember thinking at the time "he's just a little boy." I was only 7 or 8, and I seemed like more of a grown-up. I think the poor guy just never had a childhood, and all of his Wacko-Jacko stuff was a reflection of that. I'll always remember Michael Jackson, wearing argyle socks, giggling like a kid as John Landis tickled his feet.

Posted by: paulje | June 26, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Whenever I hear a J5 song on the radio I have mixed emotions. I, too, am of the age that I remember them. Like Michael much better than Donny, but I was a David Cassidy girl. But I thought Michael was so cute. Loved their songs. In fact, last month at my kids school, their end of the year celebration had the kindengarteners singing "ABC". Parents as well as kids loved it. I told my son I was around his age when this was a big song.

And it saddens me that he got so eccentric and somehow was always trying to "perfect" his looks. Hope he finds peace now.

Posted by: baltimoremom | June 26, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

You can see the making of thriller video here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy5BQ8SmWjc

Posted by: paulje | June 26, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I was a kid growing up near Flint Michigan; I can remember watching Micheal and thinking WOW if that kid can do it maybe we(I) could.........well. I could not have know at the time the talent in one soul.

I am saddened more that I ever thought I would be.

America loves to build stars up then tear them down. Shame on us!
I grew up on motown music; I grew up with Micheal. It's good to hear MJ songs and remember where I was and what I was doing when they were popular--over 3 decades.

Rest well my friend, you certainly deserve it.

Posted by: kimski810 | June 26, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

The world has lost another GREAT one. I remember cutting the 45 of ABC out when it was on my box of Alpha Bits. I didnt play but I was very excited to have it. Michael and his family set a standard for black families. He wanted to entertain and he did just that, besides being a humantarian. He rose above all, to be the best at what he chose to do. He made bad choices in life but we have to understand the life he had. It is alwasy said that Genuises are a little weird. That puts Mike in very good company.
My prayers go out to the Jackson family.
Im sure God is learning to Moonwalk now.
There will never be another.
R.I.P. Mike

Posted by: cocoas1518 | June 26, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Michael Jackson never ends, he is promoted to rule another planet.

Posted by: ram4657 | June 26, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

I remember when I first saw the Thriller vid when I was little. Terrified! I thought MJ was a real zombie. That was my crazy imagination running far away. But, I will always love his music and Thriller will always be my favorite vid. MJ, I hope you're at peace.

Posted by: ravens_corner | June 26, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

As I write on my blog, Michael Jackson, May He “Rest” in Hell

My first and sustaining reaction to Michael Jackson’ apparently drug-induced death is good riddance. Yes, good riddance. The world is better off without him as this reduces the world by one person who has a history of homosexual pedophilia.

Jackson will forever be remembered for his abuse of little boys. While his money paid off victims and secured legal freedom to avoid accountability, he cannot, even in death, avoid the terrible stain of his actions.

Good riddance.

Matthew, TheIndependentView.com

Posted by: MatthewWeaver | June 26, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

===================

What a beautiful thing to say, Darkvette. We will all deeply miss him, but he will never be forgotten. Never. Unfortunately, our culture, especially, was in no way prepared to treat or understand or respond to a human being like Michael Jackson. Michael lived on another world. And what we received from him was what fell into our mouths, and hearts, and spirits from above. This earth was not ready for him.

Posted by: zen99 | June 26, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

As I write on my blog, Michael Jackson, May He “Rest” in Hell

Good riddance.

Matthew, TheIndependentView.com

Posted by: MatthewWeaver | June 26, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse
==============================

Although we all a right to express our opinions, I must say, yours is absurd, and doesn't really belong here.

We came here to share in our grief over the death of a genius. And though your point of view is nothing but a minor irritation, it is still annoying for the rest of us to watch publicly.

Posted by: zen99 | June 26, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Hey, where is the moderator? Haven't heard a peep from her. What the hell is she doing? Research? What are your thoughts? I want an update!

So I suppose we should talk about the other aspects of Michael Jackson's life as they were important too.

I always say to go by your gut feelings. They're the best. Don't have to reason your way through an argument. That's just busy work.

I feel great empathy toward Michael Jackson. He had a beautiful spirit. You could see it. He had a presence that few mortals have. All that energy and charisma. It just isn't the usual amount for most humans.

And that heavenly voice of his, which he offered the world at an early age, and whose childhood suffering was profoundly sad... "If I don't feel it, I don't sing it," he said in answer to a question as a child. Profoundly intelligent human being. And the beauty of that statement is in its simplicity but complexity simultaneously.

And as he grew older, we saw him develop into a brilliant dancer. Another dimension through which he expressed himself. It is impossible to feel prejudice toward a great dancer.

(hahaha. as I write this I am arguing with my husband about tonight. He doesn't want to go to the Rock 'N Roll Hotel in DC, and I am saying I am gonna go there even if I have to take a cab! Alone!)

Such an abundant gift of talent could only have been heavenly sent...

From:
An Atheist

Posted by: zen99 | June 26, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

I just want to say that Michael Jackson will be missed for all the good he gave the world. I will not sit in judgment, for that is not for me to do. We are all human, fallible and imperfect. RIP Michael.

for more, please see this link:
The King is Dead, Long Live the King

Posted by: WriterRoxanne | June 26, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

My musical tastes have changed a great deal since childhood and I'm not a huge fan anymore, but I can honestly say that MJ has touched my life. Today I actually saw the extended version of the THRILLER video on MTV and it made me smile just a little(with a million other people I'm sure). It brought back memories of my childhood to a time when MTV actually showed music videos, I had very big hair, and my folks bought their first VCR. One of these memories includes a younger version of me attempting to MOONWALK in my Mom's kitchen during "my turn at doing the dishes". I remember just as I was MOONWALKING in socked feet towards the dishwasher, I slipped, landed on the opened dishwasher door and broke it completely off! I missed falling onto a carving knife by only a few inches! Mom and Dad grounded me for a month and I was no longer allowed to moonwalk in the kitchen!! Today, this is one of those stories they torcher me with in public and at family gatherings. As I listened to Thriller today, I must admit to dancing as I cleaned my own kitchen, but was extra careful as I loaded the dishwasher. One of my friends texted me and said, "Ya know, he was our Elvis." :)

Posted by: janalicia72 | June 27, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

You have to listen to this tribute song to michael Jackson by this new rapper Iceis (Tupac's Son). Link below.

WWW.KINGICEIS.BLOGSPOT.COM

: Michael Jackson • Michael Jackson RIP • Michael Jackson Tribute • MJ Tribute • Tribute

Categories: 50 Cent, Ace Hood, Brandy, Bun B, Chris Brown, Diddy, Lloyd Banks, Maino, Mario Winans, Ne-yo, Swizz Beats, The Game, Trey Songs, Usher, Young Berg

Posted by: Blake3 | June 27, 2009 1:42 AM | Report abuse

You have to listen to this tribute song by this new rapper Iceis (Tupac's Son). Link below.

WWW.KINGICEIS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Posted by: Blake3 | June 27, 2009 1:43 AM | Report abuse

WWW.KINGICEIS.BLOGSPOT.COM

: Michael Jackson

Posted by: Blake3 | June 27, 2009 1:44 AM | Report abuse

R.I.P. We all love you and we want you to know that "You're not alone". To most of us here in India you are as immortal as your music. At last you have found the peace that elluded you in your lifetime. We wish we all could have "made this world a better place for you....". We just cannot stop listening to your haunting songs like "Earth Song", "Heal the World", "We are the World", etc. Rest in Peace dear dear Michael Jackson.

Posted by: Jems_oceans | June 27, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I mean, Dios Mio, my childhood, adolescence, and adulthood are all marked with Michael Jackson memories! The best way for me to describe those is here

Thank you!

Posted by: armandodiaz | June 28, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

It's a shame he didn't receive this much love and admiration before he passed away. I sum up my feelings for Michael and his monumental talent here:

Posted by: Keli2 | June 29, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

I was very, very sad when I heard Michael Jackson had passed. I thought it was a on-line joke but than I saw more headlines and that made it very real. When I was going up, Michael was my idol and my brothers would pretend to dance and sing just like him. My other brother (Bill) even named my baby brother after MJ. His name is Marlon Michael and when he had his son he name him Jermaine Michael. We are crazy about the Jackson 5. Michael will surely be missed. Rest in peace MJ and may God bless his family.

Posted by: johnson993 | June 30, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Michael Jackson was a star at the age of 10 years old. I remember when my daughter and her friends all saved their money to see the Jackson Five in concert. I loved Michael and never once believed he molested any child. May God grant him the peace and love he so desperately sought in this life.

Posted by: jhnsnrt | June 30, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

"After Monterey" is available in mp3, mp4 and wmv formats

Posted by: rkwbw | June 30, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

He is the king of the pop.
I never met with him but we spent a lots of time together.
He always made beautiful songs ,and i always live all my memories with them.
How can i forget him?
How a man can foget his past?
Thanks for everything Michael.
I'll Never forget you!
R.I.P.

Posted by: canhaber | July 1, 2009 5:58 AM | Report abuse

I remember when I was really little (like 3, 4, and/or 5 years old), Free Willy was my favorite movie. I would watch it all the time. I had it on VHS, and Michael's video for "Will You Be There" would come on before the movie did. It was my favorite song then. When I lost my Free Willy video, I stopped hearing that song. As I got older, I started listening to some of his other songs, like "Thriller," "Beat It," etc. But for some reason, I never listened to "Will You Be There." When I heard he had died, the first song I thought of was "Will You Be There," and I rushed to You Tube and watched the video, like I used to do. The tears started pouring out then, and I downloaded the song. Now, every time I here "Will You Be There" I started crying. Even when I think about the song I do.

Rest In Peace, Michael Jackson.
I know you will live forever.

Posted by: Hoaget | July 1, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Right before Thriller was released, Michael came into the club I was playing at (the Rose Tattoo) and listened to me play and my partner sing for a few hours. During our break, he went to the piano onstage and debuted some of the tunes from Thriller for the small audience.

I didn't have a mic (I play, but barely sing.) So you couldn't hear Michael's vocals much, but he was a good keyboard player. I was surprised about that.

I was half of a duo in LA. I accompanied a fine singer named Beverly Wright (sister of
Gary Wright, who wrote and recorded Dream Weaver.)

I didn't ask him for an autograph or anything...just left him alone. It's something I'll always remember. Anyone could
buy a ticket to a Michael Jackson concert if they had the money. But not everyone was lucky enough to get to entertain him.

Posted by: bizzvanwa | July 1, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Where can you leave a memorial for Michael that will really say how much he meant to you? mykingisdead. com
He's not forgotten here. You can light a candle and be part of a worldwide everlasting memorial for the King of Pop!

Posted by: freetest | July 2, 2009 3:26 AM | Report abuse

my father was a single man raising a lil girl on his own and not really knowing the first thing on how to raise a girl lol. so i would cry i mean scream and holler because i wanted my mother. so my father had these to michael jackson tapes and he would put them on and i would sit and watch them all day long when they would go off i would cry and he would rewind them and i would sit and watch michael jackson day n and day out. i fell in love with michael jackson he was my all time favorite my hero. and its soo sad to kno that he's no longer here with us. he is a legend, a icon and he will live on in the hearts of millions he will never ever be forgotten.. MICHAEL JACKSON FOREVER... and to janet i want to let u kno i feel your pain i kno what its like to lose a brother your so close with my brother passed away in april and i still cant believe he's gone.. stay strong and it will get better with each passing day..

Posted by: mznaenae | July 2, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse