Posted at 8:00 AM ET, 06/ 1/2009

Susan Boyle Treated for Breakdown After 'Britain's Got Talent' Loss

By Liz Kelly

Sacha Baron Cohen (as 'Bruno') arrives at Sunday's MTV Movie Awards. (Getty Images)
Monday

Headlines: Susan Boyle seeking help for emotional breakdown following "Britain's Got Talent" loss... Angelina Jolie treated for minor injury on "Salt" set... Octo-mom lands reality TV deal... Daniel Craig-shaped ice cream treat goes on sale... Kimora Lee Simmons and Djimon Hounsou welcome baby boy (Simmons Twittered while in labor).

Crime Watch: Phil Spector sentenced to 19 years to life in murder case... Jon and Kate Gosselin under investigation for potential violation of child labor laws... "Point Break's" Lori Petty booked on DUI charge... Billy Bob Thornton's estranged daughter charged in death of one-year-old.

Video: Eminem storms out of MTV Movie Awards after (staged?) Sacha Baron Cohen incident... "New Moon" trailer debuts.

Rumor Mill: Friends host baby shower for a pregnant Jennifer Hudson... Spencer Pratt and Heidi Montag try to quit "I'm a Celebrity" on first day of shooting... Michael Jackson opening "Thriller" themed casino?

Say What?
"Thanks, sugar t***!"
-- Brad Pitt thanks presenter Mel Gibson at Spike TV's Guy's Choice Awards.

"It's arduous. It's fighting hunger. Since I haven't eaten in 32 years, it won't affect me." -- Janice Dickinson describes her leg up on the competition in "I"m a Celebrity."

By Liz Kelly  | June 1, 2009; 8:00 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday Fluff: Your Celebrity Makeover
Next: Courtesy of "Jon & Kate's" Eight, a New Look at Child Labor Laws?

Comments

Susan Boyle will never be a star if she can't figure out the order of operations of stardom: first, become famous, then turn to drugs/alcohol, THEN go have a breakdown. You can't do step three before step two: that's for the little people.

"Angelina Jolie treated for minor injury on "Salt" set..." That's like rubbing the wound on Salt.

"Octo-mom lands reality TV deal." I do not think that word means what you think it means.

"Daniel Craig-shaped ice cream treat goes on sale..." and all the women (and about ten percent of the guys) seem to want to eat the whole thing at once.

"I'm a Celebrity" missed an opportunity with Heincer. The producers could have let them go. Into the jungle. Let 'em walk home. Send a camera crew with them to see how long it takes before one or the other resort to cannibalism (I'd have given Pratt 15 minutes).

Posted by: byoolin1 | June 1, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Lori Petty is mistaking herself for Kyle.

The set picture of AJ is pretty scary. She's going for an Amy Winehouse meets Natasha fatale look and coming up on the tranny hooker side of the scale.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 1, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

"Point Break'"s Lori Petty?

You could have at least done her the favor of calling her "A League of Their Own'"s Lori Petty...

or even "Tank Girl'"s Lori Petty.

Posted by: VTDuffman | June 1, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

This just in: Brian May is in talks with Susan Boyle about being Queen's new lead singer. Negotiations have stalled over her refusal to sing "Fat Bottomed Girls."

The "Thriller" casino sounds like a great idea. I, for one, can't WAIT to play Black or White Jack. Will Ola Ray scream whenever someone hits triple 7s on slots?

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | June 1, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

You know, when I first heard of this "I'm a Celebrity" show, I intended to avoid it like the plague, given that all of the cast members make me want to jab pencils into my eyes. However, hearing that the ordeal has been so traumatic that Heincer already tried to quit, I may be forced to tune in. And byoolin, with regard to potential Heincer cannibalism, you never know how the rest of the season is going to shake out. There's still time.

Posted by: ASinMoCo | June 1, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Once again, Crime Watch is the most interesting ingredient in the Morning Mix.

Is there ever a Sacha Baron Cohen incident that hasn't been staged? Didn't think there was anything that could make me sympathize with Eminem, but this might.

Brad should be careful about bashing celebrity whack jobs. Never know when people will turn on him, as well.

I'm guessing the athletes will have the best shot at winning "I'm a Celebrity" but it may depend on what kind of advantage wackiness (or whackoness) gives you.
If this show succeeds, we may be able to look forward to "Dancing with the Celebrities in the Jungle" a DWTS hybrid based on various stereotypical jungle movies of the 30s.

Posted by: reddragon1 | June 1, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

OK, fine, I'll say it. I'm excited about New Moon. Since Taylor whats-his-face has beefed up, he'll start drawing the attention of all those rabid fan-girls. This is going to give R.Pat some much needed breathing room, and now he'll finally have time to answer all of the letters I've sent him.

The webcomic xkcd has an brilliant strip about Twilight. I never thought I'd get to experience celebritology AND my nerdhood at once. My grumpy level has been moved from "Monday" to "Tuesday."

You gotta hand it to Janice Dickinson. She may be the Original Raving B!tch, but she wears that crown with PRIDE.

Posted by: ishkabibbleA | June 1, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Susan Boyle collapsed once she realized that in order to get a show on the telly, she had to give birth to eight kids.

I'm sure that Kimora Lee Simmons was shaky and exhausted from labor when she tried to spell "Damon Harold" on her Blackberry.

And nothing makes me want to spend my money gambling more than "the funk of forty thousand years."

Posted by: mdreader01 | June 1, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

mmmmmmm, where can I get me one of those Daniel Craig pops? mmmmmmmmmmmm yummy.

-Hodie can no longer concentrate at work.

Posted by: hodie | June 1, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Say it ain't so, Lou Diamond! How the mighty - and talented - have fallen.

Posted by: jhershelredpuppy1 | June 1, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

I wonder how many employees of MTV it took to set up Brad Pitt's punchline.

Lori Petty bring a whole new meaning to "He was a sk8ter boy, she said, 'see you later, boy.'"

And perhaps the MTV Eminem was an imposter. After all, when the "real" Slim Shady sees a "gluteous maximus" he wants to to "squeeze it and squeeze it again."

Posted by: mdreader01 | June 1, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

when byoolin goes first, the bar just gets set too high.

i got nothing.

Posted by: memphis1 | June 1, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

someone display significant signs of mental and/or emotional distress is no joke to me. susan boyle comes from a tiny village. she made a huge splash due to the instantaneous sharing of any materials on the internet. she was a shy, reclusive personality thrust into a maelstrom of publicity and hounding by the press. and there is no way someone of her background would know what that was like and how to handle it. i have a niece and nephew who suffer with schizoprenia and while that's not susan boyle's issue, i feel any delicate person should be treated with kindness and understanding. the snark on her is cruel today.

Posted by: frieda406 | June 1, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

The discovery that a woman from a small Scottish town was capable of singing very well on a national stage turned Boyle into a modern-day Cinderella. On Oprah Winfrey's U.S. television show, the singer had said she was "loving every second" of her unexpected stardom.

But much of the media storm surrounding her debut was laced with snide commentary about her looks, her social awkwardness and her remark that she had never been kissed. (and the snide remarks continue today in this blog's post)

Scotland's First Minister Alex Salmond was scathing about the media pressure, saying there were "elements of a press who like nothing better than to build people up and then drag them down."

By Friday, the pressure appeared to be building on the shy singer, who reportedly went into seclusion after exploding at journalists from Britain's notoriously aggressive tabloids.

Posted by: frieda406 | June 1, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Regarding the Daniel Craig ice cream treat:

What flavors does he come in?

What happened to his lower half?

Was there any marketing research to ascertain which end customers prefer to eat him from?

Do you lick him or bite him?

Is there significant shrinkage as he warms up?

Does he take umbrage with being addressed as "Sugar T**s"?

Posted by: angelos_peter | June 1, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

I try not make suppositions about a person's mental health--until reports come out confirming a condition.

Posted by: mdreader01 | June 1, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I just don't see any appeal in Sacha Baron Cohen. His stunts just aren't funny to me.

Posted by: JLRGG | June 1, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

JLRGG, I'm with you about Cohen. Not funny at all. Eminem has every right to be furious -- who needs a surprise naked butt in a jock landing on your face on national TV? It's disgusting. I hope Cohen at least bathed.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | June 1, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

It sounds like Heidi & Spencer out-did Melissa Rivers' rant to her agent on one of the seasons of "I'm a Celebrity..."

Posted by: JLRGG | June 1, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I love Bruno! He should have swooped down and rescued Susan Boyle.

Posted by: possum_pouch | June 1, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Meanwhile...WTF is up with Halle and Jamie at the Spike Awards?!

Posted by: clw96 | June 1, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Ew, just watched the clip. I don't understand the appeal of Cohen either.

Posted by: Vienna8425 | June 1, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Suddenly, I have a craving for ice cream.

I can see Heincer trying to quit when they realized they weren't the cool kids and the others tried to gang up on them. I still can't figure out what Lou Diamond Phillips is doing on this show. He has a career.

Posted by: epjd | June 1, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Oh and in truly sad news, Malvina Dean the last survivor of the Titanic died over the weekend. So sad she had to sell her last bits of memorabilia just recently.

Posted by: epjd | June 1, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

When Susan Boyle goes commercial, will her set include a cover of the Rolling Stones "19th Nervous Breakdown"?

Posted by: angelos_peter | June 1, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Oooh Byoo--excellent use of a Princess Bride quote this morning. Well played, sir!

I'm in the I-don't-get-SBC's appeal camp. Seriously. Just not funny.

I didn't particularly notice any mean-spirited snark here on Susan Boyle (with the exception of one Queen joke). I feel sorry for her--it's got to be hard when even the mainstream media refers to her, as the LA Times did this morning, by referring to her as an "ugly duckling rags to riches story". Can't people please just stop commenting on her looks?

I missed the "I'm a Celebrity" thing--I'm so hoping Heincer will be whining away when they get covered in mosquito bites.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | June 1, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Ugh, not Daniel Craig again. I may never eat ice cream for the rest of my life. Make it in the shape of an actual attractive guy and you might get me back. As of now, it's no go.

Posted by: lafilleverte | June 1, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps Sacha Baron Cohen was really just celebrating the 17th anniversary of Howard Stern pulling pretty much the same stunt as Fartman at the 1992 MTV Music Awards.

Posted by: mdreader01 | June 1, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I have followed the Susan Boyle saga with some degree of interest since I have a family member with the same issues - if reports are reliable. It might present the opportunity to discuss how differently abled (which goes far beyond "different LOOKING") people can or cannot fare in our society - but all the vitriol and ignorance that has swirled around the story confirms that in 2009 we still CANNOT have that conversation at least in the general public. And that's a pity.

Posted by: jqw3827 | June 1, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

It's not an ice cream treat, it's a lolly, or on our side of the pond, a popcicle.

A Craigcicle, if you will!

I'll take a Quantum of Sorbet in Cherries Casino Royale, please!

Posted by: mdreader01 | June 1, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

I've never heard of Susan Boyle and now I find out she's already suffering from exhaustion. The world is passing by way to quickly.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | June 1, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Forget Point Break or Tank Girl, Lori Petty will always be synonymous with In The Army Now.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | June 1, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Bruno straddling Eminem -- the guy in the room least able to take it -- that's hilarious!! Love him.

Posted by: msame | June 2, 2009 8:09 AM | Report abuse