Posted at 10:42 AM ET, 06/19/2009

The Most Overrated Entertainers? You Tell Me

By Liz Kelly

Ryan Reynolds. (Getty Images)
Friday List

If you ask Entertainment Weekly, Ryan Reynolds is the next big thing, dubbing him "the Man Who Was Van Wilder But Has Since Proven He's Capable of So Much More." EW predicts imminent box office dominance for the 32-year-old Canadian who this week hits theaters in the Sandra Bullock rom-com "The Proposal."

Not so, replies Christopher Rosen writing for the New York Observer, who says Reynolds is, if anything, overrated:

Despite the matinee idol good looks and wonderfully quick comedic timing, Mr. Reynolds has never carried anything on his very formidable shoulders. And while that’s fine for a young actor, Mr. Reynolds has been knocking around for the better part of a decade.

First, do you agree? Vote in the poll:

Second, who else do you consider overrated? Actors, musicians, celebutantes -- all fair game; basically anyone in the public eye who you think gets a disproportionate amount of credit? I'll start.

This may be an unpopular stance, but I've never quite understood the glamour surrounding Michael Cera. Yes, he's geekily cute and a dab hand at playing a confused victim of circumstance. But what else can he do? Who knows -- he's never stepped outside the character he first created on "Arrested Development" and recycled for "Juno," "Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist" and, it would appear, "Year One."

Add yours below...

By Liz Kelly  | June 19, 2009; 10:42 AM ET
Categories:  Friday Lists
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Speidi Returning to 'I'm a Celebrity,' Jon and Kate Set to Announce Divorce?
Next: Mercy Joins Madonna in London; Rihanna Due on Stand Today

Comments

Tina Fey is the most overrated "entertainer" out there.

Posted by: RalphM34 | June 19, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

I voted no on Ryan Reynolds. That is, totally not overrated. How long was George Cloony doing nothing roles before he got famous. Looooong time. I think RR is cute, funny, and just around the corner from some serious fame.

That said, I'm with you on Michael Cera. He's cute, but I don't think I've ever seen him *act*.

Posted by: ML01 | June 19, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Overrated? Madonna.

Posted by: jes11 | June 19, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I already said what I thought of Ryan Reynolds yesterday -- bland. It's as if he were computer-generated (think that Al Pacino movie, "Simone") -- nice features, but overall not a lot of "there" there.

Who else is overrated? I agree re: Tina Fey. Also Scarlett Johansson (don't hate me, guys), Natalie Portman, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Tom Cruise, and Ben Stiller.

But I have a hard time between deciding who's "overrated" versus "unrateable" (as in, why are they famous in the first place?). The latter category for me includes Paris Hilton, Will Ferrell, Adam Sandler, Chelsea Handler, and Sarah Silverman.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | June 19, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Adam Sandler comes immediately to mind, though I did like him in "Spanglish." I have heard that lots of Adam fans did not like Spanglish, so I guess that proves I'm consistent.

Nearly everyone we snark upon is overrated. Most recently I guess it would be Sacha Baron Cohen. No more of his bull.

Posted by: reddragon1 | June 19, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I think Ryan Reynolds has one of the greatest comedic minds. He's got a very sharp wit. If you've ever seen him in an interview, where he's speaking spontaneously, he is SO DARN FUNNY!!

I'm just as dismissive of Mr. Rosen's article as he is of Mr. Reynolds' career. I realize the New York Observer shouldn't be confused with the New Yorker magazine, but that's not reporting; it's a fluff opinion piece. Did Mr. Rosen attempt to discern WHY Ryan Reynolds hasn't done more dramatic work? Is it (a) he likes the comedy/action hero stuff better, or (b) no one's really offered him anything in another genre worth doing?

If you look at some of his films that are outside of the "traditional formulaic comedy" box (Adventureland, Smokin' Aces etc.), Mr. Reynolds' definitely got mad acting skills. He seems comfortable moving between the traditional comedy roles and action/comic book hero roles, but I would love to see him in a true dramatic role. I think he'd be terrific.

Yesterday, Regis Philbin compared him to Jack Lemmon. Think about it . . .

Posted by: pfallsgirl | June 19, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I disagree that Tina Fey is overrated. I suppose if you thought of her solely as an actress, this could be true. But even she doesn't hold herself forward as primarily an actress. As a writer/producer she's genius.

Lots of other SNL folks are seriously overrated. Keenan Thompson for example.

Posted by: Roxie1 | June 19, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I have never been much impressed with Natalie Portman - perhaps she was a wonderful child star, and I think she won a Tony, but I can't say that I've ever been much interested in any character she's ever played. They all seem so much the same - Padme, Anne Boleyn, those girls from "Garden State" and "V for Vendetta". Sure, she's beautiful, but....ehhn.

Posted by: undercover_hon | June 19, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Amy Poehler...just not funny. I don't get it. She comes across so smug too, like she thinks she is the most funny and clever person ever.

Kristen Wiig - all of her characters are the same. She uses a raspy/breathy voice, wide eyes, and weird tics or head shaking. She was ok in "Knocked Up," but that was about it.

Posted by: starbuck13 | June 19, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Okay, I'll be the first to snark on Liz's new BFF ... Gwyneth Paltrow. Soooo over-rated as an actress and not sure if anyone other than Liz might over-rate her as a lifestyle guru.

Sorry Liz. I can't come over to the dark side concerning Gwynnie.

Posted by: jlessl | June 19, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I voted 'no', but only b/c one article in EW does not an overrating make. I think for the most part, he's still just kind of . . . there. I don't know. I did think he wrote a good op-ed when he talked about why he was doing the NY Marathon. Very funny.

Overrated: Lord. That could be a long list. Especially b/c once someone has some glimmer of possible fame, certain magazines like to trumpet them as the next thing (see Gretchen Mol), and then . . . nothing. Or they enjoy building them up & tearing them down (see Susan Boyle).

Posted by: blahblah6b | June 19, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

pfallsgirl, maybe Ryan Reynolds wouldn't be any good at dramatic work (and someone is wisely steering him elsewhere). Try to watch Bill Murray in "the Razor's Edge" or Jim Carrey in "The Cable Guy" and you'll see what I mean.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | June 19, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Anyone in Twilight. The entire Twilight franchise. They are all so smug and seem generally annoyed at their fans and the fact that anyone cares what they do. But I am sure they don't mind all the money they are earning.

Posted by: Laura118 | June 19, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Can we count Sarah Palin as an actress? She certainly isn't a politician and she is definitely overrated. I agree with Paris Hilton and raise you Lindsey Lohan, Heidi and her moron husband,Ashton Kutcher and of course Wee Tom

Posted by: irishone | June 19, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

blahblah6b, I think you mean Vanity Fair re: Gretchen Mol. (Like, who?)

Mary-Louise Parker: You're neurotic. I get it. Now, shoo.

Tom Hanks: No amount of later-career, elder-statesman gravitas is going to make me forget either Buffy in "Bosom Buddies" or "Turner and Hooch."

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | June 19, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I kind of like Ryan Reynolds but I also like Ann Curry so obviously my opinion is suspect.

Agree on Sascha Baron Cohen. His act is very tired. Move on to something else.

Keneau Reeves, overrated.
Beyonce, overrated.
Kate Hudson, overrated.
Will Ferrill, Farrell, however you spell his name, overrated.

Posted by: hodie | June 19, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

madonna
conan o'brien
jay lenow
that heigl woman
paula abdul
gwynneth paltrow
anyone named kardashian, hilton, pratt, montag or baldwin (except maybe Alec).
jennifer anniston
the entire cast of CSI: Miami

Posted by: memphis1 | June 19, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

irishone, While watching the rerun of the start of Lohan's guest stint on "Ugly Betty" last night, I was reminded me that she's actually a pretty good comedic actress. The shame is that, like a number of performers we snark on, she's p!ssing her life away instead of getting serious about her career (such a needless waste of talent).

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 19, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I second Beyonce & Kate Hudson and throw in Owen Wilson, Angelina, Jack Nicholson (his later stuff) & Ellen Page.

Posted by: beaker1 | June 19, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure that you can call Keanu Reeves overrated - over used, perhaps, in that he has never been touted by ANYONE as any kind of an actor, yet he keeps getting parts in semi-major to major films.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | June 19, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

A core characteristic of a Celebrity is being overrated. A Celebrity, by definition, is overrrated.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | June 19, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

I was never particularly moved by Elizabeth Taylor.

Posted by: bobsewell | June 19, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Ryan Reynolds is actually pretty good, in my opinion. But, listen, bobsewell, you totally need to see the Elizabeth Taylor-Richard Burton "Taming of the Shrew." That'll fix you right up.

Posted by: otherliz | June 19, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

The unforgivably underrated Sasquatch is right on in his 12:02 assessment.

Part of his underratedness (it's a word!) might be a result of where he hangs out:

Posted by: byoolin1 | June 19, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Otherliz, have you seen her in "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" or "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" I think those are her strongest performances. She's good in most of "Giant," as well.

Posted by: starbuck13 | June 19, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I will second what td_in_baltimore said above.

Posted by: shoveit | June 19, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Parker Posey.

Posted by: kholmes1 | June 19, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Tie for #1 most overrated celeb ever: Angelina Jolie and Paris Hilton.

Very close 2nd: Britney Spears.

OMG, yes, Sarah Palin.

Also:
LiLo
The whole Kardashian train wreck
Eva Longoria
The Beckhams!!!
Megan Fox

Posted by: Californian11 | June 19, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Angelina Jolie. Besides Girl, Interrupted, what has she done? Wanted? Tomb Raider? A sad attempt at another oscar in Changeling? That's what I thought.

I also think Seth Rogen is overrated. I didn't like Knocked Up that much, and he was just OK Pineapple Express.

Posted by: shauch | June 19, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Overrated to me means getting starring roles when they just aren't that good. heincer and co. we know suck and they will never really be major film stars. They will do a lot of straight to video stuff. Most reality show people fall in this category. To me an overrated one is a celebrity who keeps getting major roles in major, big budget pictures but should be in the straight to video category.

My list:
Adam Sandler (why god, why?)
Jim Carrey
Julia Roberts
Matthew McConaughey

Posted by: epjd | June 19, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I certainly was not involved in this washroom escapade:

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | June 19, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

California11, Eva Longoria is smokin'. Literally. Liz can point you to her last appearance in DC for details. (DC is like NYC, only further South).

Posted by: reddragon1 | June 19, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I meant of course Eva's last appearance in DC, not Elizabeth's.

Posted by: reddragon1 | June 19, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Julia Roberts. Her whole career is built on playing the same basic character--a sassy gal with a vulnerable side. She did the same shtick in Erin Brokovitch, she just got to wear a push up bra and short shorts.

Posted by: caroleg1 | June 19, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I do not, at all, get Rihanna, Chris Brown, or pretty much any other so-called "R & B" singer.

Ben Affleck
Angelina Jolie
Gwyneth Paltrow
Katie Holmes
Eddie Murphy (at least recently, his early films and standup were good)
John Travolta
Jerry Seinfeld and the rest of the crew on his misbegotten show

Posted by: northgs | June 19, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

conan o'brien

bruce willis

will Ferrel

adam sandler

Posted by: newagent99 | June 19, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Mel Gibson.

Posted by: LTL1 | June 19, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

al pacino
bob deniro

there is never any nuance. all of the characters they play are either al or bob.

Posted by: the_nap | June 19, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Nosey...I will give you Lindsay, it is a waste of talent and hopefully she'll pull herself out of her ongoing funk. She was pretty cute in the Parent Trap.....

Posted by: irishone | June 19, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

mel gibson, i forgot about him!

do either pacinio or de niro act anymore?

Posted by: newagent99 | June 19, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

IN the spirit of Budd Dwyer, I propose a new "Reality" show:

I'm a Celebrity! Just Shoot Me!

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | June 19, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Sas, how about celebrity editions of "Without a Trace" or "Mental" (not to be confused with "The Mentalist")? Or "CSI: Celebrity Corpse"?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 19, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Oh, except on celebrity "Without a Trace" the FBI never finds the body.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 19, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I saw that Proposal movie and thought it was very funny mostly because of the way RR plays a passive-aggressive toadie.

Over-rated:
Will Ferrell
Megan Fox
Will Smith
Meryl Streep

Posted by: yellojkt | June 19, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Oh, except on celebrity "Without a Trace" the FBI never finds the body.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker

*****

... or looks for it.

Posted by: byoolin1 | June 19, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

SO many overrated celebrities: Nicholas Cage, the Simpson sisters, the entire cast of Friends, Cameron Diaz, all members of the 80s Brat Pack, the Jonas Brothers, Zac Efron, Sarah Jessica Parker, Tom Cruise.

There is another one, hugely overrated but so influential that I hesitate to name her in this public forum for fear she will hunt me down and force me to have a public makeover or accuse me of plagiary. Hint: she lives in Chicago and has a friend named Gayle.

Posted by: newengland1 | June 19, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I like Celebrity Corpse.

Or perhaps a how where celebrity corpses are used as dancing partners once rigor mortis has set in:

Dancing with the Stiffs

Wax Jobs

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | June 19, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

* Ashton Kutcher
* Any cast member of any reality show, past, present, or future, but with particular bile towards "Real World/Road Rules"
* Jerry Seinfeld, post-"Seinfeld"
* Katherine Heigl
* Megan Fox
* Flavor Flav
* Jimmy Fallon (although he may not even qualify as "rated" any more)

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | June 19, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps TLC could produce a show where groomers who deal with celebrity body hair disclose intimate details about who is hairy where: Wax Jobs

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot
~~~~~~~~~~~~

You are populating my personal hell.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | June 19, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

I cannot stand Kate Hudson. She is not even pretty. So overrated.

We all know I don't like "the Jolie," but I do not think she is overrated as an actress, just as a person.

Posted by: supersonic2 | June 19, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

"Overrated" is such a loaded concept to begin with. Overrated at what? Acting? Life? For instance, I'm noticing a lot of "Megan Fox" citations above...How is Megan Fox "Overrated?" No one actually thinks Megan Fox is a good actress or anything like that. Megan fox is is movies and really, really hot. That's it. Are people saying she's Overrated because she's not actually that hot? Well, then I'll have to agree to disagree.

Which brings us to Ryan Reynolds...is he "Overrated?" I didn't even know he was "rated," let alone over-so. I've been a Ryan Reyolds fan ever since "Van Wilder." I think he's really a very funny guy, and I enjoy most movies he's in. I liked him in "Waiting" and that was a terrible movie.

Off the top of my head, two people that I think would qualify as "Overrated" are Ben Affleck and Vince Vaughn.

Posted by: VTDuffman | June 19, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

sas, nosy, all: I would like to re-introduce the option of Ted Nugent starring in a live-to-broadcast adaptation of "The Most Dangerous Game". Stage a cruise ship running aground off a nice deserted island somewhere and let nature and a .30/.30 rifle loaded with stun rounds sort out the rest.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | June 19, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

It's nice to see others filling out the fall schedule for the Lizard Island Network. So far looks better than anything on "real" television.

Newengland1, that would be "O"-verrated. I can remember a time when "the big O" meant something else entirely.

Posted by: reddragon1 | June 19, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | June 19, 2009 2:35 PM

Isn't this going down the road toward "The Running Man"? And how has it not been pitched yet?

Posted by: northgs | June 19, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

northgs, the same idea can be pitched, and even used, countless times on television. Or you can take a good (and in keeping with the theme, possibly overrated) TV show and make a bad movie out of it, selecting your cast from the "Celebrities" named in the above posts. e.g., "The Simpsons, The New Movie" starring Ashlee and Jessica Simpson (for a tie-in), Ashton Kutcher, Megan Fox, and Special Guest Star Eddie Murphy as Grandpa.

Posted by: reddragon1 | June 19, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Made-for-TV movie for overrated celebs: "Ship of Fools"?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 19, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I haven't really seen anything that comes to mind starring Ryan Reynolds. I'll take it on faith that he's a quick-witted clever actor since that seems to be his reputation. I just don't think he's that good looking--kind of too boyish. So as VTD said, question is what is one rating?

Megan Fox is undeniably hot. And her purpose in any movie, as far as I can see, is to raise temperatures in teenage boys. Okay, boys of all ages, and that's not a typo. As she succeeds pretty spectacularly at that task, she can't possibly be considered overrated.

Lots of great suggestions above--and thanks to whoever mentioned Gwynnie the Pooh who somehow got a rep as a great actress and yet she totally leaves me cold. No depth or presence on screen in my opinion.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | June 19, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Special Guest Star Eddie Murphy as Grandpa.

Posted by: reddragon1 | June 19, 2009
-----------------------------------------
Morgan Freeman's step grand daughter would not like that.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | June 19, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

The hottest thing about Ryan Reynolds is his wife.

I know several Lizards who will agree with me.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | June 19, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: reddragon1 | June 19, 2009 3:06 PM

Reddragon, Megan Fox will be pleased to hear that you didn't name Morgan Freeman to guest as Grandpa.

Posted by: northgs | June 19, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Just who exactly is this generic white male actor?

Posted by: babsy1 | June 19, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

"anyone named kardashian, hilton, pratt, montag or baldwin (except maybe Alec)."

I don't think anyone has made a claim that these folks are highly rates, just lizard fodder.

Add Good Charlotte to the list. These two @$$hats haven't had an original idea yet. They're a couple of parasites.

Posted by: MzFitz | June 19, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I never thought Morgan Freeman would remind me of a country song, much less, "I'm My Own Grandpaw."

Posted by: reddragon1 | June 19, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Is it true that George Clooney is going to be starring in a movie where he is an executive trying to earn a million frequent flier miles?

Posted by: MzFitz | June 19, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot
~~~~~~~~~~~~

You are populating my personal hell.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | June 19, 2009 2:23 PM

------------------------------------------
Well, you won't find me getting a wax job, unless I'm being executed.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | June 19, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I am going to differ with VTDuffman and sorcerers_cat on Megan Fox and concur with sas on RR's wife. There is no over-rating ScarJo's hotness nor under-rating her singing ability.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 19, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

shoveit, thanks for the shout.

"Parker Posey" --kholmes1. C'mon, how can you not love her in all those Christopher Guest movies? Better her than, say, Juliette Lewis. (Um, right?)

"I can remember a time when 'the big O' meant something else entirely." --reddragon1. Not to mention "The Story of O."

The mentions of Jerry Seinfeld lead me to vomit uncontrollably at the memory of having watched the gigantic craptacular hubris fest called, "The Bee Movie." Talk about a vanity project. And it was TERRIBLE.

Am I too late to suggest more shows for the Lizard Island Network?

* "Make Me Laugh" (remake) -- Will Ferrell, Adam Sandler, and Jim Carrey each has three minutes to make a lizard contestant laugh out loud.

* "O, God!" (remake) -- Yep, Gayle's best friend in her biggest roll, er, role yet.

And since a lot of the above ideas involve celebrities meeting their demise...

* "Abbatoir Dogs" -- (Concept TBD; Quentin Tarantino is executive producer)

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | June 19, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

How about merging a re-make of Running Man/Most Dangerous Game with Shark Week on Discovery Channel? Celebrities are used a shark bait. Maybe it can compete with "Jaws-4: The Revenge" for the title of Worst Movie Ever Made.

Please pass the soy and wasabi.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | June 19, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MzFitz |
----------------------------------------

From the IMDB for 'Up In The Air":

A professional who specializes in "career transition counseling" (a euphemism for firing people) looks to accomplish his two main goals in life: to accumulate 1 million frequent flier miles, and to land a job at a mysterious management company called MythTech.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 19, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MzFitz
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I would argue that in these cases, ANY rating counts as overrating. Good point though. In the admittedly blurry field of "legitimate performers", I feel like Jack Nicholson is accorded a status he really doesn't merit.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | June 19, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Up In The Air?

Isn't that where Morgan Freeman's member is when his step grand daughter is around?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | June 19, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot
~~~~~~~~~~

Perfect!!! In a similar vein, may I suggest a cross between "Iron Chef" and John Belushi's "Samurai Deli"? Winner gets to keep his thumbs.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | June 19, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | June 19, 2009 4:04 PM
--------------------------------------

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | June 19, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

FWIW, Clooney's next project is called "Men Who Stare At Goats".

...barrage of dirty old man jokes in 3, 2, 1...

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | June 19, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I was going to suggest a retooling of "The Bucket List," now starring Woody Allen and Morgan Freeman, but I cannot bring myself to type the suggested name for it.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | June 19, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Another show for the Lizard Island Network: The Celebutard Edition of Wipeout. (I have teenage boys so I have seen this show. There is an American version of this Japanese gameshow where contestants have to run through this ridiculous obstacle course. It is way more entertaining to watch the Japanese version--just like Iron Chef).

Posted by: hodie | June 19, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

oh and overrate--Jack Black.

Posted by: hodie | June 19, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

that should say "over-rated"

Posted by: hodie | June 19, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: td_in_baltimore
--------------------------------
Make sure the movie is set in Nantucket.

Posted by: yellojkt | June 19, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Hodie, I would not just pay money to watch, but would buy tickets to Celebutard Wipeout! (That show is my guilty summer-tv pleasure.) I'd put a big tip in the tip jar, too, if they made Heincer compete the course as a three-legged race.

Good call on Jack Black, too.

Posted by: northgs | June 19, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Hodie, wouldn't the ultimate version of Celebutard Wipeout be a re-make of Monty Python's Twit of the Year Contest?

As for the re-make of the Bucket List, make sure that the props include plenty of napkins for the actors to wide their chins.

As for Heincer, Nothgs, I think you're being generous to assume that they collectively have enough motor neurons to undertake a three-legged race.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | June 19, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Would the three-legged race include Heidi, or just Spencer? ; )

Posted by: hodie | June 19, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Sas, I love Monty Python. Great suggestion.

Posted by: hodie | June 19, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Don't the entrants in the Twit of the Year skit all die before the end of- ohhhhhhhhhhhh, I get it.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | June 19, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | June 19, 2009 5:08 PM

--------------------------------------------
Then they get used for crab bait on Deadliest Catch.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | June 19, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to be hated for this comment but my Overrated Actors/Actresses would be the big three: Jack Nicholson, Clint Eastwood and Meryl Streep.

Don't get me wrong they are good but they are not gods. Am I the only one who feels like throwing up whenever any of the unholy three get a nomination and all of Hollywood goes on an orgy of fawning and plain old deep brown-nosing. If you think I'm wrong when was the last time Eastwood played anything but a hard as nails tough guy, Nicholson a cocky wise-cracking malcontent or Streep a harridan with the hint of a soft interior - come on they never play a role that is a character stretch so to protray them as Hollywood Acting Gods I thing is a more of the stretch.

Posted by: dre7861 | June 19, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Tina Fey real overrated. Hit TV show, hit movies that she doesn't just appear in but also writes, great comic timing, appealing personality, and most of all appearing in a dead-on comedy impersonation that defined a vapid Vice Presidential candidate. Yeah, that Tina, what does she have to offer?

Posted by: msame | June 20, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Tom Cruise, Katie Holmes, Jon and Kate, Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Jennifer Aniston, John Travolta, Madonna, Rosie Perez, Susan Boyle, Michael Buble, Rachael Ray, Dr. Phil, Rush Limbaugh, everyone on Fox News...all either creepy, mean or silly.

Posted by: sweetmarc | June 20, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Tina Fey overrated?? Now that's funny!! Somebody doesn't like Tina Fey and therefore considers her overrated. That person is stupid!! That is all!!

Posted by: elewis29 | June 20, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Jennifer Garner. Most of her movies have been mediocre at best, and "Alias" was kept on life support for years and never went anywhere. I just dont get it.

Posted by: allisonbeard | June 20, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

elewis,
Welcome to Celebritology! Everyone mentioned above is only listed because that person does not like them.
Here are most of the top box office draws of our lifetimes.
Jack Nicholson
Al Pacino
Tom Cruise
Angelina Jolie
Tom Hanks
Robert Deniro
Adam Sandler
What do they have in common? They are all listed above. Celebrity is in the eye of the beholder. Talent is in the eye of the beholder. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And all of this is just opinion. Obviously the majority of people like Jack, Al, et al. Just as record sales prove the majority like Madonna, and Maxim sales prove the majority of guys find Megan Fox hot.
I personally like most of the people listed and only agree with a couple of the overrated list. (Jennifer Aniston - worst actress of all time - in my opinion - others disagree)

Posted by: Iowahoosier | June 22, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Beyonce (I'm tired of seeing her EVERYWHERE)
Kanye West (too high maintenance)
Conan O'Brien (tries too hard)
Angelina Jolie (just plain weird)
Jennifer Aniston (too soft)
Rachel Ray (irritating)
Ryan Reynolds (who's that??)
Jim Carrey (overacts)