Posted at 11:30 AM ET, 07/16/2009

Another Way to Stalk the Stars

By Liz Kelly

Kristin Scott Thomas, flower lover. (Lucas Oleniuk for The Washington Post)

If Gwyneth Paltrow's lifestyle site, GOOP, whetted your appetite for celeb blueprints on how to live life (note: today Gwynnie's giving relationship advice), then Google's latest star-studded project -- Favorite Places -- may well be your next browser bookmark.

Moby, Al Gore, Kristin Scott Thomas, Regis & Kelly -- all have contributed to the project which, apart from being a handy guide to celeb-stalking, reveals more about each contributor's preoccupations than it does about geography.

A sampling:

Actress Kristin Scott Thomas recommends Paris flower shop Pascal Mutel: "I always have flowers at home. It is important for the respiration and harmony in a house."

Musician/DJ/Eminem nemesis Moby includes New York's Billy's Antiques in his list, where "you can find sex toys from the 1920's and shrunken heads and fetal pigs in jars and cocktail shakers and world war 2 binoculars and books on taxidermy and etc."

"Live! with Regis and Kelly" co-anchor Kelly Ripa shares a top-secret Manhattan spot called Central Park: "A jewel in the middle of the city, and my favorite place to run."

Meanwhile, former Vice President and environmental crusader Al Gore strikes a somber note in describing one of his favorite places: "Our grandchildren may never be able to visit the Maldives, an island nation south of India, because it could be submerged by rising sea levels."

My favorite by far comes from Alexei Sayle, whose name probably doesn't ring a bell, but you may remember him from '80s sitcom "The Young Ones." One of his favorite London spots: "The Man Who Sells Fruit Outside The Off-License."

Righto.

By Liz Kelly  | July 16, 2009; 11:30 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Robert Redford Marries; Another 'Bridget Jones' for Renee Zellweger?
Next: Angelina Named 'Ultimate Lesbian Heroine,' Report: Mischa Barton Hospitalized

Comments

Je ♥ Kristen Scott Thomas!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 16, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

See my earlier comment about bringing back the studio system. Someone get someone anyone between the stars and a keyboard or a microphone. Seriously, they just need to STFU sometimes. Leave a little air of mystery.

Posted by: epjd | July 16, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Ack, Kristin.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 16, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Okay, raise your hand if you (or anyone else you know) ever visited the Maldives. He needs to put it in terms we can all understand, like Ocean City, lower Manhattan, Disney World, the Jefferson Memorial, etc.

Posted by: 44west | July 16, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Kristin S-T says: "My job as a comedian means I need to keep in fairly strict shape, so I really like these yoga classes."

a) would we call her a comedian? and b) being a comedian means you have to be in good shape? So I guess Al Gore is definitely not a comedian....

Posted by: GroovisMaximus61 | July 16, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I ♥ "The Young Ones!"

It has nothing to do with the subject of the thread. I just wanted to say that I loved the series. Ranks right up with "Ab Fab."

"The lentils are ready!"

Posted by: mdreader01 | July 16, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Groovis! How you been?

Clearly Kristin Scott Thomas doesn't have an Allegra prescription. Pray, if one cannot get to Pascal Mutel, are 7-Eleven blooms an acceptable alternative?

Kelly Ripa, do tell! How does one find this "Central Park"? What's it near? I'll return the favor by telling you about a little hideaway in Washington, D.C. with lots of room to run. It's called "The Mall." Shh! Mum's the word!

And 44west, perhaps I can translate that message for a broader audience. Consider: "Our children may never be able to visit the Dewey Beach, a resort community in southern Delaware, because we could be submerged by rising expense levels that, in turn, make something called a 'staycation' our only option."

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | July 16, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

td, Isn't the tallest point in the entire state of Delaware only at ca. 50' elevation?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 16, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Hey td, my niece is visiting Dewey beach, even now as we post! Glad she gets to see it before the oceans take it back.

I really like Moby's selection. I could spend time in an eccentric little shop like that. However I would pass on the 1920s sex toys as they may be dangerous, used or both.

Posted by: hodie | July 16, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

How did Kristin Scott Thomas manage to avoid being in the cast of "Love Actually"? I thought every British actor with a guild card was required to appear.

Posted by: bobsewell | July 16, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

bobsewell - Unfortunately for the movie (Love Actually), the titillating love triangle between K S-T, Jim Broadbent and Maggie Smith was left on the cutting room floor.

Posted by: GroovisMaximus61 | July 16, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

td - I was nosing around that "Favorite places" website....did you know there is a chef in Baltimore who is known as a "Ramen expert?!"

Posted by: GroovisMaximus61 | July 16, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Nosy, not sure about Delaware; sounds right. hodie, Dewey is great! And Groovis, how the heck did you find Baltimore at all on that site? Leave it to Charm City to boast of a "Ramen expert" -- using Old Bay and McCormick spices, perhaps?

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | July 16, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Kristin Scott Thomas:"I always have flowers at home. It is important for the respiration and harmony in a house."

I totally agree except I am one of the millions of unemployed Americans with no food in my pantry and icebox. I think I will spend my next unemployment check on food. Staring at beautiful flowers with an empty stomach is not practical.

Posted by: Mickey2 | July 16, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Also love The Young Ones!!! Great stuff.

"This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence."

Posted by: katthomas | July 16, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse