Posted at 8:25 AM ET, 07/14/2009

Jessica Simpson & Tony Romo Split; Maura Tierney Having Tumor Removed from Breast

By Liz Kelly

UPDATE: Debbie Rowe's attorneys today released a statement asking for a complete retration of the New York Post story (linked in today's Rumor Mill, below) claiming Rowe had accepted a $4 million dollar payoff to give up her parental rights to two of Michael Jackson's three children. Rowe's attorneys say no such deal has been made and that Rowe "has not and will not give up her parental rights." -- 3:31 p.m. ET

---

Jeremy Piven attends a screening Of 'The Goods: Live Hard. Sell Hard' on Monday in Nashville. (Getty Images)
Tuesday

Headlines: Jessica Simpson and Tony Romo break up the night before her birthday... Michael Jackson wasn't fit enough for concerts, says Papa Joe... Maura Tierney having tumor removed from breast... Friend publishing diary about Farrah Fawcett's illness... Natalie Portman lands lead in "Thor"... Neil Patrick Harris set to host Emmys... Ryan Seacrest gets $45 million to stick with "Idol" through 2012... Tearful Amy Winehouse returns to U.K... Judge denies Richard Hatch's request to participate in "Survivor: Samoa"... $120 million lawsuit against Janet Jackson dismissed... After "difficult" pregnancy, Mira Sorvino gives birth to baby boy... Molly Ringwald welcomes twins.

Crime Watch: Despite arrest, Howard Stern sidekick Artie Lange says he did not drive under the influence.

Pix: Lourdes Ciccone Leon (Madonna's daughter) wearing back brace... Evangeline Lilly and Dominic Monaghan in Vegas... Scarlett Johansson's Mango ads... Gerard Butler's Esquire cover... Beyonce's brainwashed nephew.

Rumor Mill: Michael Jackson autopsy results could be revealed this week... Distraught Jackson friend Elizabeth Taylor hospitalized... Debbie Rowe drops custody claim for $4 million payoff... Ed Hardy designer denies collaborating with Jon Gosselin on kids' clothing line.

Not News: Author claims Michael Jackson not heterosexual (More alleged revelations)... David Beckham says he's not posing with Angelina Jolie for Armani ads.

Say What?
"Now I've got this moniker that I'm the foot-in-mouth gal, and I keep thinking, In what way? Because I said something you don't agree with? Because I said something you don't like? I'm just telling you my opinion. I hate the idea that I can't be honest about how I feel about things because it's going to piss somebody off who feels differently. That seems preposterous to me." -- Foot-in-mouth gal Katherine Heigl in the August issue of InStyle

By Liz Kelly  | July 14, 2009; 8:25 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Monday List: Trying on Celeb Souls for Size
Next: Celebritology 101: Capitalizing on a Celeb S.O.

Comments

Simpso & Romo no mo'? Oh, no.

"Michael Jackson wasn't fit enough for concerts, says Papa Joe." Was it MJ's demeanor, his unearthly pallor, or the fact that he died that tipped Joe off?

Natalie Portman lands lead in "Thor" - talk about creative casting. She looks NOTHING like Thor.

"Ryan Seacrest gets $45 million to stick with "Idol" through 2012." In related news, Satan has been on a real soul-acquiring binge lately, hasn't he?

Lourdes wearing back brace: now THAT is irony.

Dear Kathy Heigl: for what it's worth, we here in the cheap seats at Liz Kelly's Celebritology blog have never thought of you as a "foot-in-mouth gal." You've always been a "dumber-than-a-bag-of-hammers gal" to us.

Posted by: byoolin1 | July 14, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Amy Winehouse looks - dare I say it? - good in the pictures in that article: not a single obvious sign of trainwreckery.

Posted by: byoolin1 | July 14, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Ms. Heigl:

Please don't be concerned that you are perceived as a "foot-in-mouth gal".

Actually, you are perceived as a pretty blond actress with enough talent to get by, lucky enough to land a spot on a show that fit your talent, and you have mistaken that for being better than everyone else around you. Many of us are hoping you will soon go away, you have become so annoying.

Trust me - you should aspire to be "foot-in-mouth gal". That would be charming and ditzy.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | July 14, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

An example of smart snark from the master, byoolin:
"Lourdes wearing back brace: now THAT is irony."

And that's how it's done. *tips cap to byoo*

Posted by: pras40 | July 14, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

I agree that Amy looks SO much better! Maybe she should stay away from her home...

Posted by: Osteph | July 14, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Elizabeth Taylor is "aching" for MJ? Really? How frequently did those two hypochondriacs see each other? Did they talk on the phone a lot or engage in online chats? I don't get it.

Posted by: pras40 | July 14, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Michael Jackson not heterosexual: that is not news in any way, shape or form.

MJ autopsy results could be released this week? Yes, please, let's get this over with!

Were Gerard Butler and Jeremy Piven twins separated at birth? Because they look like the same person to me.

Posted by: northgs | July 14, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Too tired to snark, so I'm just gonna say:
Congrats to Mira Sorvino and Molly Ringwald, but especially, to Mira Sorvino, one of my favorites and top of my "if I went that way" list.

Posted by: eet7e | July 14, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Well, Byoo took all my lines.

Except this one: Romo breaks up with Jessica Simpson -- There is a God.

Posted by: epjd | July 14, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Who wants to sign the thank-you card to Judge Smith who denied Richard Naked-guy Hatch the opportunity to be in Survivor Samoa?

Agree Byoolin, Amy looks human in those pictures but don't scroll down too far. There is a reminder of what she was like that will bring your breakfast back.

Liz Taylor, which was it? You didn't attend the funeral/memorial because Michael wouldn't want the spectacle (doubt) or because the Jackson family wouldn't have you? Story there somewhere.

Posted by: hodie | July 14, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Byoo is first as always, but my first thought after reading that Natalie Portman gets the LEAD in Thor is when does she get the following?
1. A sex change operation?
2. One of those breaking her legs to make her a LOT taller operations?
3. The steroid shipment to add 100 pounds of muscle?
Liz, Thor is a tall, muscular blond GUY. Natalie may have a PART in Thor, but not the lead.

Posted by: Iowahoosier | July 14, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Amy Winehouse returns to UK. St. Lucia declares national holiday.

At least we won't see Richard Hatch's ass at the 10 yr Survivor reunion. Wonder if Elizabeth will be there.

This is Hodie territory, into which I tiptoe, but all kidding aside, I think Lourdes is the right age for the brace if she does have scoliosis.

"Freckles" Lilly looks positively demur in that photo.

Producer Paul's grab of ScarJo (I mean the pix!) gives me new respect for mangos.

Liz Taylor--still able to make headlines at 77 with her distress over a man--sort of.

For the record, I also did not collaborate with Jon Gosselin on any kids' clothing line. He may have been in St. Tropez when I called...

Ms. Heigl, fewer people would call you names if you got over yourself. Neither of which is likely to happen, I suspect.

Posted by: reddragon1 | July 14, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

"Despite arrest, Howard Stern sidekick Artie Lange says he did not drive under the influence." The only other option is that you're a dangerous driver, Artie.

"The source of [Liz Taylor's] condition is simply: The heart's gone out of her." Thank you, Dr. Cindy Adams, but I think the actual story is that Liz's pill source is trying to avoid being investigated by the DEA and refused to take her calls last week.

Posted by: mdreader01 | July 14, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Hey byoo and iowahoosier, does this mean you do NOT want to see Natalie Portman in an action movie? After all the great acting chops she showed as Princess Amidala!

Posted by: reddragon1 | July 14, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

"Ed Hardy designer denies collaborating with Jon Gosselin on kids' clothing line."
- Don't fret, Jon. Joe Jackson is starting a new record label.

Alana Stewart is publishing a diary about the last days of Farrah Fawcett.
- New office pool: how many pages does it take before she says that Ryan O'Neil is an a$$?

"Portman will play Jane Foster, who in early comic book lore was a nurse who became Thor's first love. The studio said the character will be updated for the feature adaptation, with Foster being a doctor-scientist type."
- Nah, if they really wanted to update it they would have made Natalie a health insurance executive and Thor would have roughed up meddling Congressmen to save the American system of health care.

Posted by: mdreader01 | July 14, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Reddragon, I apologize if my comments about Ms. Portman left the impression that I did not want to see her in an action movie. Hell, yes. And dressed up as a Viking? Ohmigodyes.

Posted by: byoolin1 | July 14, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: northgs | July 14, 2009 9:19 AM
=================
One of them sets off a metal detector.

Posted by: mdreader01 | July 14, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Can't they just pay Ryan Seacreat $46 millino to go away?

Posted by: Section416akatheAlps | July 14, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Iowahoosier
Natalie may have a PART in Thor, but not the lead.

While the largest role in a work is often the title character, it's not always the case. Remember Jean Kerr's story re her young son who came home from parochial school one day reporting that he'd been cast as Adam in the school play about the Garden of Eden? His mother was thrilled, but then he memorably told her, "The snake has all the lines" (hence her book title).

Foot-in-mouth gal Katherine Heigl...

To her credit, she was among the first to come forward to denounce Isaac Washington's homophobic slur against T.R. Knight. Gotta respect her for that.

Distraught Jackson friend Elizabeth Taylor hospitalized.

In fairness, Taylor is elderly and frail, and having been a child star herself, knows how brutal the exploitation of child stars can be. I give her a pass on this one.

Anyone else catching TMZ's hard-hitting coverage of MJ's death? Not always a fan of them, but it's refreshing to be spared the non-stop hagiography offered by "ET," "The Insider" and even the major networks. TMZ's claiming MJ was an anesthesia addict who would undergo any procedure he could get a doctor to perform just so he could be put under. Ick. Nast.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 14, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

For the love of god, Jeremy Piven, get rid of that thing living on your head!!

Posted by: zn123 | July 14, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

reddragon, couldn't see the Lourdes story d/t net nannies but I thought the same thing when I read the headline. There is an opening in the lizard island clinic if you're interested.

Ed Hardy/Gosselin clothing line? Does it come with wash off tattoos?

Posted by: hodie | July 14, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

mdreader

Wasn't he maid of honor at Liza's wedding to David Guest?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 14, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

I don't bat for that team, but I'm really looking forward to seeing Natalie Portman as ONE OF THE leads in "Thor". She's just...pretty. (And smart! and she embraces the nerds! Huzzah!)

May I make a submission to the Celebritology glossary?

to Heigl (v): to attempt to generate buzz for one's weakening career by complaining in the press. i.e.:

"Geez, did you see John Starlet's latest interview? Now he's Heigling about the press coverage of his partying while filming 'Scorcher IV'."

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | July 14, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Bawlmer

I thought that was "to Palin."

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 14, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

So I'm not up to date on all the Jackson family history. Can I just automatically discount everything Joe Jackson says about Michael, or at least assume that any statement he makes is a further attempt to cash in on his son's legacy?

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | July 14, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I thought that was "to Palin."

Posted by: Nosy_Parker

Ba-zing. In the interest of appealing to both sides of the aisle, though, I'm going to stick with "to Heigl". Besides, "Heigl" is a funny word to say. Heigl Heigl Heigl.
...Excuse me, I think I need to sober up some more.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | July 14, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

"Michael Jackson is not straight? I don't believe it. He was never once married to Liza Minnelli." --mdreader01

Brilliant! But wasn't Michael her maid of honor or something re: David Gest?

Can't wait to read that new diary about Farrah's illness, "Charlie's A(n)nals."

(Ew, I just grossed myself out.)

Is Jeremy Piven a Scientologist? Or just borrowing Travolta's hairpiece?

Neil Patrick Harris is becoming the go-to guy these days. Poor Jake Gyllenhaal can't catch a break.

Lourdes' back brace is a fashion statement. After all, her mother wore visible corsets when she was not much older. Is Rocco sporting a truss?

(Ew, did it again. Yikes, what is wrong with me? Moving on....)

Liz Taylor sick? Quick, byoolin, get Jose Eber, his scissors, and lots of ziploc bags over to her house. (I can't remember why, exactly, but we discussed this before last time she was ill. Something about her hair and eBay I think.)

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | July 14, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Lourdes Ciccone Leon (Madonna's daughter) wearing back brace.

I checked the linked article, which I found beyond the pale in attacking Lourdes (we DO have some bounds re snarking on celebs' kids, right?). I had a student with scoliosis who had to undergo spine surgery, wear a body cast and be tutored at home for months afterwards, then still wear a partial cast which immobilized her neck for months after she returned to school (had to swivel her entire torso around to see to the side). It was a lot for a kid to have to endure, but once she was rid of the partial cast she said she felt all the suffering was worth it. I hope Lourdes is spared the need for such an ordeal, not only for all the misery it entails even for private-citizen kids, but for the added burden of living it out in the public eye.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 14, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Brilliant! But wasn't Michael her maid of honor or something re: David Gest?

Uh, td dear, that was my line at 10:49 AM.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 14, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, Nosy, didn't mean to repeat your maid of honor line.

Bawlmer51, I like "Heigl" as a verb. But it needs an additional meaning about refusing Emmy nominations in there somewhere.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | July 14, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Carm down, Nosy, no reason to get testy. Sheesh.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | July 14, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

td, maybe it was just a case of great minds thinking alike.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 14, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Nooooo Dom! Stay away from Evie.

Posted by: phanieb | July 14, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

***
md, i award you comment of the day.
p.s. nosy- you don't seem testy to me. but then i'm broiling here in arizona. there's testy and then there's "TESTY".
***
i believe joe jackson (words i never believed would be uttered) when he says michael not ready for the tour. somewhere yesterday, michael was quoted as saying he'd initially agreed to 10 shows and then they convinced him to do 50. he wasn't sure he could do it. and that will be my last comment on michael jackson. cannot understand the amount time devoted to him.
***
and no child/teen willingly wears a back brace unless mandatory, so scoliosis is probably the reason.

Posted by: frieda406 | July 14, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I thought that was "to Palin."

Posted by: Nosy_Parker

No, that would be "to attempt to generate buzz for one's weakening career by complaining ABOUT the press."

Posted by: lp2004 | July 14, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Speedy recovery to Maura Tierney.

So the vultures are already circling over capitalizing on Farrah's death. Classy.

Not related to scoliosis (I too hope the brace fixes it) ... I see Lourdes plucked/waxed her unibrow and moustache. Wonder if that was her idea or her mom's.

Yeah, Jeremy Piven does seem to suddenly have hair. Something's fishy.

Posted by: Californian11 | July 14, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

frieda
but then i'm broiling here in arizona.

Thanks for the kind words. Ya know, just as long as Frankie's keeping cool...

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 14, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

BTW, Lizards, if you get the chance to read frieda's posts re Lizard Island guard-dog Frankie last evening, please trust me, you will be moved. Check it out.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 14, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Yo, Bawlmer & Nosy. I like both "to Heigl" and "to Palin". Heigling could be having to do with am entertainment celebrity, while Palining could be limited to the political sphere.
heigling is fun to say.

Posted by: pras40 | July 14, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Let me try that again...
Yo, Bawlmer & Nosy. I like both "to Heigl" and "to Palin". Heigling could have to do with an entertainment celebrity, while Palining could be limited to the political sphere.
heigling is fun to say.
------
re-read before posting.

Posted by: pras40 | July 14, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

reddraggon,
You know you are right. Natalie would looke very nice dressed in viking gear, and really isn't it just the hammer that gives Thor all of his strengh?
Maybe the Boeyln girl can be Thor? Although the other Boeyln girl would look even better dressed as a viking.

Posted by: Iowahoosier | July 14, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Natalie Portman's role in the upcoming movie will be as the woman who puts the thunder and lightning in Thor's hammer.

----------------------------------------

Posted by: northgs | July 14, 2009 9:19 AM
=================
One of them sets off a metal detector.

Posted by: mdreader01 | July 14, 2009 10:39 AM |

Mercury sets off metal detectors? Or is my snark detector made of lead?

----------------------------------------

A philosphical enhancement to the Glossary:

Heiglian: A distorted work view in which a person perceives herself as having a reasonable dialogue with the rest of the world when in fact she is acting like a spoiled brat.

---------------------------------------------
While Lourdes Ciccone Leon wears a back brace, it's not like she previously couldn't walk. Looking at the picture of the back brace, the evil cryptid in me wonders if Madonna is preparing her to wear a strap-on. The real miracle will be if she grows up to be a normal adult.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | July 14, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Jeremy Piven does seem to suddenly have hair. Something's fishy.

Posted by: Californian11 | July 14, 2009 11:57 AM
======================
The left coast shoots and scores.

Posted by: mdreader01 | July 14, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

"Maura Tierney having tumor removed from breast."

Funny, I heard Dallas Cowboy fans saying the same thing about Tony Romo yesterday.

Posted by: mdreader01 | July 14, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

"Maura Tierney having tumor removed from breast."

Posted by: mdreader01 | July 14, 2009 12:29 PM |

---------------------------------

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | July 14, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we should thank the Idol producers for throwing so much money at Seacrest. That amount could keep him somewhat contained and slow his quest to become Queen of all media.

Posted by: jes11 | July 14, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Nosy Parker- I completely agree with you regarding Lourdes.

It's hard enough to have to have a back brace. Harder still to have to endure it while under public scrutiny.

I really think we ought to back off this kid. As far as I know she is merely Madonna's child and not someone who has put herself forward for public scrutiny in any other way (album, TV appearance, etc.) If she decides to do that - then she becomes fair game. Otherwise, I wish Liz hadn't even linked to it.

Posted by: Roxie1 | July 14, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Hey Lizards, those of you running Firefox 3.5. Please read Brian Krebs article about a major security flaw for which no patch is yet available, and which you need to manually mitigate.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | July 14, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Extra dog treats to Frankie ... what a beautiful being.

Posted by: Californian11 | July 14, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Freida and Frankie - thank you. You mean more than you know to families in hospice. Extra treats for both of you!

Posted by: northgs | July 14, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

just as long as Frankie's keeping cool...
****
always, nosy. we wish she'd get in the pool, but she just stares at us when we're in there like "where did my people's bodies go"? they have a dog door and complete access to all parts of the house. as is their right. she's the queen of the dog household. there are 6 subjects, not counting us, so i guess 8.

Posted by: frieda406 | July 14, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

thanks to everyone on frankie's behalf. she's truly remarkable. has that 6th sense, knows when people are frail, suffering. is always there to administer comfort to the person, their family and the staff, who also need it.

Posted by: frieda406 | July 14, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

The more I interact with humans, the more I prefer the company of cats and dogs.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | July 14, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

frieda, I swear I'm not making this up. My family had friends with a German-shorthair mix that they actually had to teach to do the dog-paddle, because Spot (an otherwise intelligent canine) coudln't figure out how to do it himself!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 14, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

And I can't figure out how to type "couldn't" correctyl ;-)

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 14, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Frieda406 - yep, I cried. Thanks for taking care of others.

Shout out to Maura - Save the Ta-tas!! I don't think there's anyone out there that doesn't know someone who has been touched by boobie cancer.

Byoo- yep, that's probably when Papa Joe figured it out. I wouldn't be surprised if he danced a jig once word leaked out about MJ's departure.

Heigl (n) - an "actress" who is more attractive with her mouth closed, (usage: A heigl played the role of "wife in coma" for the opening scene.)

You know, there are an awful lot of heigls in LA.

Posted by: anonymouslurker | July 14, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

I dunno folks, I kind of think Piven looks more like Seacrest than Butler.

Posted by: hodie | July 14, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Piven looks very mercurial.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 14, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Went to see The Hangover this morning (I'm on what is being called in this economy a "staycation") and I saw a preview of Jeremy Pivens' new movie...save your money. The thing on his head looks like someone drove over it 12 times and then plopped it on his head.

Posted by: zn123 | July 14, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Paging Dr. Hodie:

AP: "A spokeswoman for Teva Pharmaceuticals says the Drug Enforcement Administration asked the company about a specific batch of propofol.

"Teva voluntarily recalled two lots after investigators found bacterial contamination in some samples caused up to 40 patients in Florida, Arizona and Missouri to develop fevers and chills."
==========
I know we concluded an infection was not likely to have caused Jackson's demise. However, the earlier rumor, back in May, of a MRSA/Strep scare seems more plausible in light of this development.

Posted by: mdreader01 | July 14, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

I think Katherine Heigl needs to look up the word "moniker." As far as I know, people haven't officially nicknamed her "Foot in Mouth Gal." Yet.

Posted by: rachelee1 | July 14, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

****
i believe that. we have 7 dogs and not one will go near or in the pool. we'd have to have a special ed teacher over here to get some results, i fear.

Posted by: frieda406 | July 15, 2009 12:30 AM | Report abuse

mdreader re the propofol...yes it can happen. Hard to say where the MRSA came from. It is everywhere in the community these days, not just a hospital aquired infection these days. But the propofol is a plausible although less likely source.

Posted by: hodie | July 15, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Frieda, I know you're in AZ and natural water is hard to come by, but have you ever taken them to a lake or river? How do they feel about that? They might not like the pool because of the chemical smell. (Even if we can't smell it, I bet they can!)

Posted by: northgs | July 15, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse