Posted at 12:15 PM ET, 07/ 2/2009

Kevin Jonas, You May Want to Read This

By Liz Kelly

Headed to the chapel: Kevin Jonas. (Reuters)

Kevin Jonas, the 22-year-old tweener heart throb who, along with his two brothers, fronts a successful Disney brand band -- recently announced plans to marry 21-year-old girlfriend Danielle Deleasa. Though this news may help rumor mongers hoping to ID a gay Jonas brother and we're all for letting love rule, Kevin may want to put the brakes on party planning and consider how some other young matrimonially-inclined celebs fared. And it isn't a good story.

Britney Spears
Married at 23
A two-year marriage to skeevy back-up dancer Kevin Federline left Spears with two kids, unhinged and bald. Spears, now 27, has since recovered, and is in the midst of a comeback. She was recently rumored to be contemplating another marriage. (Spears also had a previous one-day marriage to high school pal Jason Alexander annulled.)

Angelina Jolie
Married at 21
Jolie's first marriage to British actor Johnny Lee Miller lasted four years. Jolie says the two are still friends and blames immaturity for their breakup: "It comes down to timing. I think he's the greatest husband a girl could ask for. I'll always love him, we were simply too young." Jolie next married Billy Bob Thornton before moving on to Brad Pitt. Jolie and Pitt say they won't marry until same-sex marriage is legalized in the U.S.

LeAnn Rimes
Married at 19
The prodigal country singer married dancer Dean Sheremet in 2002 and all seemed well until, uh oh, Rimes was captured on video kissing also-married Lifetime movie co-star Eddie Cibrian. Rimes says she's since patched things up with Sheremet.

Drew Barrymore
Married at 19
Barrymore's first marriage -- to Welsh barman Jeremy Thomas -- lasted all of 19 days. She later married comedian Tom Green in 2001, but less than a year later Green filed divorce papers citing "irreconcilable differences." Barrymore has most recently been linked to actor Justin Long.

Macaulay Culkin
Married at 18
Culkin married fellow teen actress Rachel Miner in 1998, but the two separated only two years later. Culkin has been dating "That '70s Show's" Mila Kunis since 2002 and the couple has been the object of engagement rumors.

Have more cautionary tales for Kevin or, perhaps, some success stories? Share them below.

By Liz Kelly  | July 2, 2009; 12:15 PM ET
Categories:  Celebrities
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: No Public Jackson Memorial This Week; Gwyneth Prefers Spain to U.S.
Next: Los Angeles Braces for Jackson Tribute; Jon & Kate Spend the 4th Together

Comments

Reese Witherspoon & whathisname, oh yeah, Ryan Phillipe

Posted by: talleyl | July 2, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Haven't most of the Osmond Bros. had successful marriages? Isn't at least one of the Hansen bros. married, too?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 2, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

We married at 21. Still going strong more than 10 years later.

But, yeah, we are the exception.

As long as they've been dating for a good long while, I say why not? Maybe they are an exception too.

Posted by: DCCubefarm | July 2, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Advice to Kevin and Danielle: Do not sign up for a reality show.

Wasn't Jessica Simpson about the same age when she married Nick Lachey?

Posted by: skm1 | July 2, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I was engaged to be married at the tender age of 21-THANK GOD I didn't take the plunge at that point. I thought I knew what I wanted but I wasn't ready. Personally I'd recommend that men and women wait at least until they're in their late 20's/early 30's to make that kind of commitment. There are exceptions out there-my cousin married his JR.HIGH school sweetheart; they're still married (and making out in public!) after nearly 30 years of marriage, 3 kids, and 2 grandkids.

Since these kids made some kind of chastity vow about not "doing it" until marriage, I guess it makes sense that he'd get married young.

Posted by: plamar1031 | July 2, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: plamar1031 | July 2, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Horny, horny, horny doesn't = good choices.

Posted by: jezebel3 | July 2, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Sarah Michelle Gellar and Freddie Prinze get married young?

Posted by: ideallydc | July 2, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Weren't Jon and Kate married in their early twenties as well.....what a rousing success that's been!

Posted by: HometownVienna | July 2, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

"It is better to marry than to burn."

or

"Marry in haste, repent in leisure."

or

"What's love got to do with it?"

or

Hey, I don't care what they do . . . take a hike, for all I care.

Yours truly,

Curmudgeon

Posted by: bmschumacher | July 2, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Alan Osmond is still married to his first wife, although I don't know when they married. Wayne Osmond married at 23 and is still married. Merrill married at 20 and is still married. I'm not sure when and if Jay married. Donny married at 21 and is still married. Jimmy married at age 29 and is still married.

Posted by: mdreader01 | July 2, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

It looks like the young successful girls are making bad choices than the young boys.

Most of the young men could not adjust to their wife's fame.

On the other hand, the your men's lesser talented wifes were happy to adjust to the married life.

Successful girls need to be careful of their choice and start getting away from the Cinderella syndrom that the society embbeds in them

Posted by: SeedofChange | July 2, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

There was recently an article (I think WaPo) about how young 20's marriages do not necessarily have high failure rates, but teen marriages do. It said that our modern idea that marriage should be entered into once someone is "formed" doesn't give a marriage a better chance, and that actually, marriage is a "formative" institution. My spouse and I have been married 20 years, both us us in our early 20's when we married. We knew who we were and what we wanted, which I think is the key. Good for Kevin Jonas and I hope he has a happy, lifelong marriage.

Posted by: howdydoody1 | July 2, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

My son was married at 20 and after 4 boys and almost 11 years they are still very happy together. Just has to be the right person....

Posted by: irishone | July 2, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

He just wants to get some a$$. Poor kid doesn't have a clue. Once he taps it, he will want to taste some other flavors, and it will all fall apart. Either that or once the Jo Bros phase is over and the money stops coming in, the chick rolls out. Either way, he is f'd.

Save yourself some trouble (and money), dude. Don't listen to Beyonce. You don't need to put a ring on it. Enjoy the groupies while you still can.

Posted by: PhilliesPhan | July 2, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SeedofChange | July 2, 2009 2:45 PM
===========

Cynthia Lennon and Kristin Armstrong would beg to differ with you.

Posted by: mdreader01 | July 2, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Kevin Jonas, if you're looking for a beard, it would be a lot less expensive for you to cut your hair and have the locks fashioned into a paste-on.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | July 2, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure if the Osmonds are a fair comparison. Do Mormons allow for divorce? (I'm asking this sincerely.)

Posted by: Roxie1 | July 3, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Roxie, Marie Osmond has been divorced twice.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 3, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse