Posted at 8:10 AM ET, 07/16/2009

Robert Redford Marries; Another 'Bridget Jones' for Renee Zellweger?

By Liz Kelly

UPDATE: Emmy Noms announced. "30 Rock" dominates.| Gallery -- 9:29 a.m. ET

---

Thursday

Headlines: Robert Redford marries long-time girlfriend... DEA considering new limits on propofol, one of the drugs found in Michael Jackson's home... Tito Jackson says siblings staged Neverland intervention... Amy Winehouse and Blake Fielder-Civil officially divorced... Thousands gather for Dave Chappelle free impromptu late-night show... Police dispatched to Mischa Barton's home to help with "medical issue"... "Lost's" Matthew Fox says he's ready to quit TV... Nine-year-old "Slumdog" star pens autobiography, calls Nicole Kidman "strange"... Kim Kardashian almost stranded in Africa... "Real Housewife" Bethenny Frankel gets her own reality show.

Crime Watch: Orlando Bloom's Los Angeles home burgled.

Video: Trailer for Drew Barrymore's directorial debut, "Whip It":

More: Michael Jackson's 1984 Pepsi commercial accident (warning: graphic).

Rumor Mill: Renee Zellweger to star in third "Bridget Jones" movie... Jackson kids want to live with aunt Janet Jackson... Another falling out for Lindsay Lohan and Samantha Ronson?

Not News: Police say they're not treating Michael Jackson's death as a homicide... Jon Gosselin not engaged to girlfriend.

Say What?
"Just be sure you don't hit the wrong button and end up putting a photo of your junk on Twitter. Trust me, you don't want those followers." -- Brad Pitt on texting-while-in-the-bathroom etiquette.

"My dream role would be to play musical legend Carol Channing in a biopic of her life. I love her, I really do." -- Johnny Depp

"My suggestion is to put on an all-green outfit and roll down a hill." -- Zooey Deschanel on how to best enjoy summer.

Chat Day: Join me at 2 p.m. ET for this week's hour-long discussion of all things celebritological, Celebritology Live. Then, stick around for The "Lost" Hour's ongoing summer review of seasons 1 and 2.

By Liz Kelly  | July 16, 2009; 8:10 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fact or Fiction? Reading the Fine Print on Jackson's Life
Next: Another Way to Stalk the Stars

Comments

Emmy nominations will be announced this morning! Can't wait!

Posted by: jezebel3 | July 16, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

-"Kim Kardashian almost stranded in Africa" Well, if at first you don't succeed...

Posted by: VTDuffman | July 16, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

The MJ Pepsi commerical footage is horrible! I remember when he got hurt, they said it was serious, but I don't remember any information that it was that bad! Goodness - no wonder he was (allegedly) addicted to painkillers - his whole head was on fire!!

Perhaps Brad Pitt should have had that conversation with Chris Cooley last year...

Posted by: suzannepdc | July 16, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Kim Kardashian almost stranded in Africa... So close...

Police dispatched to Mischa Barton's home to help with "medical issue"
-What did she accidentally swallow a tic-tac?

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | July 16, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

HaHaHa, kids say the darndest things, don't they Nicole?

Orlando Bloom's Los Angeles home burgled. I'd check Depp's place.

What kid wouldn't want to live with Aunt Janet?

Another "falling out" for Sam and Lindsey. I'm sure it was about what part of "Go Away!" does Lilo not get.

Brad Pitt on bathroom Twittering. Uh....yuck.

Johnny Depp on playing Carol Channing. ditto.

Posted by: hodie | July 16, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Normally I am against a return to the studio system, but with all the TMI lately, I am seriously reconsidering my position. I don't want to know where a celeb had sex or is twittering. Ick double nast.

Kim K. ALMOST stranded in Africa. I would so say "so close, yet so far" but then I realized that Africa has enough problems. Can we strand her somewhere else?

Posted by: epjd | July 16, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

FWIW, I actually think that Johnny Depp would do a great job in a Carol Channing biopic. If any dude *can* do it, it's him.

Posted by: VTDuffman | July 16, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

suzannepc, you beat me to the Chris Cooley punch. Nice job!

We need a new word for "girlfriend" when said person is 51 years old. No offense, and I don't mean to be ageist, but "girl"? That ship as sailed. Jon Gosselin's amour? Yes. Robert Redford's? No.

Besides, I hate US Weekly. What a poorly written article about Redford. How long had they been dating? No mention. And what's with, "[t]hey have three surviving children."? How many dead ones? UGH!

How can you NOT want to live with Janet Jackson? I like those three kids more each day. But enough about the almost-interventions. He died. You're too late.

"Another falling out for Lindsay Lohan and Samantha Ronson?" should've been under Not News. I mean, c'mon.

Johnny Depp is too short to play Carol Channing. But he'd be great. Hello, Oscar, well hello, Oscar....

I am buying AstraZeneca stock right now, just so that I only have to read the word "propofol" once a year when AZ's annual report comes out -- not 100x/day.

(Notes to Self: Resist urges to 1) Google propofol and Topol together and 2) create propofol Facebook group.)

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | July 16, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Like I needed another reason to <3 Johnny Depp...**lesigh**..he'd make a lovely Carol Channing!!

Am I the only one that chuckled a little at that footage? His head was ON FIRE & he kept dancing & he put himself out from his spinning! Seriously, you couldn't have had that stuff written & planned if you'd tried.

I wonder if he hadn't had all that hair product on his hair if he wouldn't have been burned worse?

Posted by: wadejg | July 16, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Robert Redford marries long-time girlfriend

(sob)

ep
Can we strand [Kim K.] somewhere else?

I'd suggest Antarctica, but worry that it might accelerate global warming.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 16, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Queen Liz, did you watch Paul McCartney on Letterman last night? Do you have a link to a GOOD video of his appearance, especially the songs?

Perhaps something got lost in translation (since the US and England are two nations supposedly divided by the same language!), but to my sleepy brain last night it sounded as though Sir Paul claimed that the first time the Beatles appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show (Feb. 9, 1964), he had been standing in the wings waiting to sing "Yesterday." Wasn't that a later Beatles song? Was Sir Paul confused about this, or did the Beatles play it on Sullivan on a later visit to NYC? (Although, it seems too quiet a song to have been performed before a live audience of screaming teenaged girls).

Nice touch last night, though, having McCartney and his band play "Get Back" outdoors atop the theater marquee, evoking when the Beatles played it in their famous London rooftop concert. (The second song McCartney did last night, from his new album, seemed less-than-memorable to me, however, although as I said, I was very sleepy by 12:30 AM).

I checked YouTube afterwards and saw that a number of folks in the live outdoor audience several hours earlier had recorded and already loaded his performance onto the site, including (apparently) additional songs that didn't make the TV broadcast (someone said he also did "Back in the USSR"). Has anyone on Lizard Island checked this yet?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 16, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Jackson kids want to live with aunt Janet Jackson.

The two Princes probably are just hoping that Auntie Janet has lots of "wardrobe malfunctions."

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 16, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: VTDuffman | July 16, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Oh I totally agree(he does everything well), but like most of Johnny Depps roles, they creep me out. I think Willie Wonka was the creepiest so far. It's not the androgynous part of it that bothers me either, it's just the total weirdness.

Posted by: hodie | July 16, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and the Madhatter will be even more creepy!

Posted by: hodie | July 16, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

I stand corrected. Johnny Depp is one inch taller than Carol Channing. So get that man shorter heels and some Sunday clothes and so long, dearie!

Today's riddle: What did William Shatner (!) and Will Ferrell (?!?) just get that T.R. Knight and Katherine Heigl didn't?

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | July 16, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

To Nosy_Parker regarding the question about Yesterday: The song was not performed on the Feb. 9, 1964 Ed Sullivan show because it wasn't written until 1965 for their Help! album. The songs the lads did perform were Twist and Shout, Til There Was You, I Want to Hold Your Hand, Please, Please Me, She Loves You (http://www.beatlesbible.com/1964/02/09/the-beatles-first-ed-sullivan-show/)
Sounds like "Paul" screwed up

Posted by: IrishFox | July 16, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Thank you, IrishFox, for reassuring me that I haven't completely lost my mind yet.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 16, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: wadejg | July 16, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Wasn't everybody getting jheri curls back then?

A friend of mine lost all her hair in a jheri curl fire and all she did was open a hot oven.

what ever that stuff was, it was seriously flammable.

Posted by: memphis1 | July 16, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

i give up, td...

Posted by: memphis1 | July 16, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Jane Austen was wise enough to know you stop at "and they lived happily ever after." A movie about aging Bridget Jones trying to have a baby just sounds too depressing. Guess the author and producers want to milk every last penny out of the franchise.

P.S. I think Carol Channing's voice is deeper than Johnny's. Perhaps he could gargle with gravel before performing the musical numbers.

P.P.S. Non-snark alert: I know it's the rumor mill, but I do hope the Jackson kids have SOME input about who they are to live with.

Posted by: 44west | July 16, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 16, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Oh pleeze--you lost that thing ages ago.

Posted by: jelo97 | July 16, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Really-twittering whilst on the can. Can't Brad Pitt just use the MAD Bathroom Reader like the rest of us?

Posted by: jelo97 | July 16, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | July 16, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Think of the Channing/MM/Madonna/Depp crossover- "Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend".

Posted by: jezebel3 | July 16, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

TD: Emmy nominations. Jezebel gave it away, first post.

"'Lost's' Matthew Fox says he's ready to quit TV"
- I was hoping more for Matthew Perry and/or Matthew LeBlanc.

"Jon Gosselin not engaged to girlfriend."
- Which girlfriend? He's like Lance Armstrong in that department--and only that department.

"'Real Housewife' Bethenny Frankel gets her own reality show."
- She was the only NY woman on that show that wasn't a housewife.

Posted by: mdreader01 | July 16, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 44west | July 16, 2009 10:30 AM
=========================
I was going to recommend a steady diet of whiskey, cigarettes and hairspray.

Posted by: mdreader01 | July 16, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

A steady diet of whiskey, cigs, and hairspray doesn't sound too bad me actually. But you do need to throw in a daily dose of false eyelashes as well.

Posted by: jelo97 | July 16, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Somehow, I find the possibility of Johnny Depp playing Carol Channing way more palatable than that dreadful Three Stooges biopic.

So for today's second riddle, what does
Carol Channing have in common with Barak Obama?

Posted by: mdreader01 | July 16, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Same middle name?

Posted by: enter_the_lemur | July 16, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Both tenors?
Both the same height?
Both played Dolly Levi on stage?

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | July 16, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Juicy news day.

How is Redford's health? Always a worry when someone his age marries their girlfriend. Mel Gibson, pls note.

I read "the DEA considering new limits on potpourri," of which I am all in favor, but Martha Stewart will be devastated.

I want to live with Janet Jackson, too.

Add me to the list of people who would pay to see Depp do Channing.

Looks like Zooey Deschanel has finally said something I can agree with. Go ahead and get dressed, Zooey, and meet me at the hill. I'll be glad to roll you. Bring your sister.

Posted by: reddragon1 | July 16, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Carol Channing is part Black (¼, I believe) on her father's side. Considering the virulent racism in the US at the time, she said her mother only told her when she (Carol) was getting married, so she wouldn't be surprised if she had a child someday who looked more Black than she did. Fortunately, the American population is, on average, far more tolerant racially nowadays than they were back then (consider, e.g., how hawt most male Lizards find Halle Berry, among others).

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 16, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

td

A clue? (Both as an answer, and as a request)

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 16, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Reggie Bush likely found Kim Kardashian's passport in her trunk, along with the other junk.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | July 16, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Sas

Just as long as he didn't find it in the bush.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 16, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Just as long as he didn't find it in the bush.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 16, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Wasn't there a CYE episode about a baseball hidden/stolen in a woman's crotch?

Posted by: jezebel3 | July 16, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Halle Berry. Yum.

Posted by: reddragon1 | July 16, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't there a CYE episode about a baseball hidden/stolen in a woman's crotch?

Posted by: jezebel3 | July 16, 2009 12:14 PM
--------------------------------------------

Years ago, when I was playing on a company softball team, I witnessed a woman catch a pop fly by holding her hands in front of her so that the ball settled into her massive cleavage.

The crowd went wild.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | July 16, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

What has the world come to when 9-year-olds are writing autobiographies? As well, not cool to try to grab some fame by dissing Nicole Kidman. Skin cancer = bad. Avoidance, hat, sunscreen, dark glasses = de rigeur for some of us.

"The youngster admitted she doesn't known where her Slumdog salary has gone" -- well, I can venture a guess ...

Too bad the Pantyless Trio didn't get Brad Pitt's message before posting their junk on the 'Net.

Now she's pimping for the diamond industry? Stay classy, Kim K. She's never worked a day in her life, but I propose spending some time working in a diamond mine.

"Just as long as he didn't find it in the bush."
She doesn't have one ...

Posted by: Californian11 | July 16, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

johnny depp as carol channing? fabulosity in the extreme. remember how wonderful he was wearing mohair in "ed wood"?
****
a few years back in nyc, i dined at a table right next to robert redford. really had to control the urge to jump up and fling myself upon him. and i'm in my 50s. he looked much better in person that in photos at that time. and seemed so friendly. glad he's happy.
****
and irishfox, sir paul is well into his 60s. i hope he can be forgiven a memory lapse or two. i'm 57 and can barely remember where i put the car keys yesterday, much less what i did in february 1964. sigh. they should invent a device so that you can clap your hands and locate the car keys or glasses. forget turning the lights on and off. i want to know where my keys are......
***
catching the baseball w/cleavage? wonderful. remember that gal who used to run around topless during major league baseball games? was her name morganna? something like that? see? that i can remember. car keys? forget it.

Posted by: frieda406 | July 16, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

oh, and renee z always looks to me as if she's(a) constipated and/or (b) been sucking on a lemon. she annoys me. there, i've said it.

Posted by: frieda406 | July 16, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Just as long as he didn't find it in the bush."
She doesn't have one ...

*************
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek. TMI, TMI, TMI. that i did not need to know. smelling salts, please.

Posted by: frieda406 | July 16, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

frieda
smelling salts

Wouldn't you rather have a troupe of handsome men waving large palm fronds to fan you?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 16, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

So sorry, frieda. Smelling salts and brain bleach on their way to you. I had the same reaction when a male friend of mine inexplicably felt the need to show me that fauxlebrity's Playboy spread. Which is how I know. Ick Nast. :-(

Posted by: Californian11 | July 16, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

***
why, yes, nosy, indeed i would. a much better idea. thank you so very much. smelling salts placed in cabinet. hammock readied along w/blender and margarita mix. let the games begin.............

Posted by: frieda406 | July 16, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

That's right, frieda. Lizard Island offers all the amenities of our fantasies.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 16, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Stage for Madonna show collapses, one dead

MARSEILLE, France (Reuters) - A stage being constructed for a Madonna concert collapsed in the southern French city of Marseille on Thursday, killing one person and injuring six, police said.

The concert at the Velodrome stadium, home to the Olympique Marseille soccer team, was scheduled for July 19 but has now been canceled, a local official said...

I know there's a Lourdes pun in there somewhere, but that poor kid's already wearing a brace for her scoliosis, so I don't have the heart to rag on her further.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 16, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

If anyone ever wondered about the meaning of the phrase "hair fire," they won't wonder any longer after watching the outtakes of the Michael Jackson Pepsi commercial.

Looks like Jon Gosselin has a real "winner"...If I were Hailey Glassman, I'd get myself some new "friends."

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | July 16, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Zooey Deschanel (who "considers herself a summer person") has some weird advise on how to best enjoy summer -

"Encourage the men around you to wear a boater hat" What?

Posted by: GroovisMaximus61 | July 16, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Lizard Island clinic is closing early today. If you need me I will be at the Tiki bar enjoying Margaritas and men with fans with Nosy and Frieda.

Posted by: hodie | July 16, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of the Kardashians, did anyone see the "news" about why Bruce Jenner had plastic surgery? The Yahoo headline: "plastic surgery nightmare" -- I was expecting a sad tale of deviated septums gone awry in the O.R. Nope.

When asked why he underwent surgery, Bruce said he "was just going through a bad time." Further, "I had just gone through my second divorce, lost a lot of money. I was in a little dinky house." The horror!

Moral of the Story: Feeling down? Tighten that skin, stat! So when you are down to your last quarter, you'll be able to bounce it off your face.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | July 16, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Answer:

Carol Channing and Barak Obama both have African lineage in common. This isn't the Charlize Theron type, either.

When Carol was getting married...the first time... her mother pulled her aside and told her that her paternal grandmother was African American. "I didn't want you to be surprised if you had a black baby," she said.

Posted by: mdreader01 | July 16, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frieda406 | July 16, 2009 12:51 PM
===========
No worries. You still got it going on. Morganna Roberts was baseball's "Kissing Bandit" from 1971 (Pete Rose) until she retired to the minor leagues in the late 80's. She appeared in Playboy and both Johnny Carson and David Letterman had her on their shows.

"I tell people my career started with a bet, and Pete's ended with one." - Morganna

Posted by: mdreader01 | July 16, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

I remember Morganna well. Boingedy boingedy boingedy. The woman was in serious danger of knocking herself out.

Posted by: jelo97 | July 16, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Late to the party today - I see the 'ritas are already flowing at the tiki bar - but had to comment on the possibility of another Bridget Jones movie. Will this be the one where she divorces her gay husband and hits menopause? Sounds like a laff riot!

Posted by: northgs | July 16, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: northgs | July 16, 2009 4:08 PM
=====================
The Lizard Island Network has already moved on to Bridget Jones 4. Bridget first tries to get preggers by having an affair with John Edwards. After a false start, she hires one of Michael Jackson's cast-off doctors to inject her with hormones and lo and behold, she's pregnant with 8! John Edwards denies paternity, of course, which leads Bridget to seek the solace of Bravo TV executive Andy Cohen, who recommends a reality show where she finds her next husband. Cue Jon Gosslin.

Posted by: mdreader01 | July 16, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

mdreader, I guess you missed my post at 11:49 AM re something Carol Channing and Barack Obama have in common (sniff).

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 16, 2009 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Missed the chat, so here's my $.02.

TV on DVD - I'm watching Freaks & Geeks and the Larry Sanders Show. Though I did like some of the suggestions during the chat.

Liz, are you on drugs?!!!! The Don Johnson version of A Long Hot Summer pales, pales in comparison to the original. Dan Johnson vs. Paul Newman? Please!!!!

Posted by: zn123 | July 16, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse