Posted at 12:46 PM ET, 07/20/2009

Gunning for a Baldwin Run? Where's Lucy Lawless?

By Liz Kelly
Comment Box

I like hairy politicians: Is there still time for me to move to Ohio to vote for Alec Baldwin if he runs for office? Or will I run into some crazy residency requirement stuff? -- from last week's Celebritology Live chat.

Alec Baldwin. (AP)

If Alec Baldwin takes an Ohio law firm up on its offer to "launch his political career" with a run for the Ohio governorship in 2012, you would only need to actually live in the state for about a month ahead of the election. According to the pastel-heavy Ohio Secretary of State's Web site, hopeful Baldwin supporters need only to "be a resident of Ohio for at least 30 consecutive days immediately before the election in which you want to vote." Well, as long as that residence isn't a jail or prison.

But I wouldn't start packing up just yet. In an interview in Playboy's July/August issue Baldwin says that though he won't rule out a run for public office, it likely wouldn't be in Ohio:

"I have sometimes thought I could move to New Jersey or Connecticut and run. I’d love to run against Joe Lieberman. I have no use for him. But it’s all fantasy. I’m a carry-me-out-in-a-box New Yorker. Here, anything can happen."

And, come on, he's not that hairy.

...[W]hat ever became of Lucy "Xena" Lawless, who used to be all over "Entertainment Tonight" and its ilk ... Have you heard anything? -- from last week's Celebritology Live chat

Lawless may no longer be a go-to gal for the paparazzi in this post-"Xena" age of celebutantes, but the 41-year-old actress is still around and working regularly -- turning up in everything from "The L Word" to "Battlestar Galactica." The New Zealand native even made a guest appearance on HBO's Kiwi-centric "Flight of the Conchords."

Most recently, Lawless signed on to co-star in Starz's new live-action fantasy series, "Spartacus: Blood and Sand." Lawless will play a Roman noble who, along with her husband, owns the slave Spartacus -- a former Roman soldier. The show isn't set to launch until January 2010, but Lawless will be at San Diego's Comic-Con later this week to promote the show in a Friday panel.

No comment from 92-year-old Kirk Douglas, who can be credited with ushering the name "Spartacus" into the cultural lexicon.

Mischa Barton is a girl?!? But.. but.. that's a boy's name.

Well, according to babyzone.com, "Mischa," actually can be a Russian girl's name -- the equivalent of "Michaela" in English. The almost identical "Misha" (note the lack of a "c") is the boy's version.

Comment of the Week
"OMG. I saw a woman this afternoon wearing a white fringe t-shirt while rocking the '80s high tops. In Rockville no less. I'm so glad to have a place to report this." -- from last week's Celebritology Live chat, a certified no-fringe zone.

By Liz Kelly  | July 20, 2009; 12:46 PM ET
Categories:  Comment Box
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Custody Hearing for Jackson Kids Delayed Again; Paula Abdul Leaving 'Idol'?
Next: Chris Brown Posts Video Apology to Rihanna; Cowell Says Paula Abdul Will Return to 'Idol'

Comments

"Lawless will play a Roman noble who, along with her husband, owns the slave Spartacus -- a former Roman soldier. "

Hmmm. Roman soldier becomes slave. Hmmm. Spartacus. Hmmm. Sounds like "Gladiator" meets, um, "Spartacus". Hmmm.

Posted by: jezebel3 | July 20, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Comic-con already? Wow, a year goes by so fast. Are we going to get live blogging this year? pleasesayyespleasesayyespleasesayyes.

Posted by: eet7e | July 20, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

eet7e, I won't be at ComicCon this year (and I'm super bummed), but Jen Chaney will and we'll be posting updates from Jen right here in the blog -- including her live coverage of the "Lost" panel.

Posted by: Liz Kelly | July 20, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

My only advise to Alec Baldwin is to please farm out the robo calls. Reluctant voters and donors don't respond well to being called "thoughtless pigs."

Posted by: mdreader01 | July 20, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mdreader01 | July 20, 2009 1:53 PM
========
And don't hire me as a proofreader.

Posted by: mdreader01 | July 20, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Hooray for Comic-Con coverage! Pity you guys can't both go, but I'm sure we'll get lots of tidbits no matter what. Yay.

So, does Alec Baldwin have any, y'know, credentials for public office?

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | July 20, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mdreader01 | July 20, 2009 1:53 PM

But he could liven things up a bit on C-SPAN.

Posted by: 44west | July 20, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

So, does Alec Baldwin have any, y'know, credentials for public office?

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | July 20, 2009 2:17 PM |

Uh...he's Alex Baldwin?

That's all the Schwazenegger needed, right?

Posted by: zeureka | July 20, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Bawlmer
So, does Alec Baldwin have any, y'know, credentials for public office?

Well, Alec attended GW for 3 years (later graduated from NYU), if that helps.

Reagan became a Governor, son-and-dance man George Murphy was a Senator, that "Love Boat" guy (who was a Harvard grad) was a Congressman from Iowa, and don't forget Jesse Ventura.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 20, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

"Governor Alec Baldwin" is a bad idea on so many fronts, not the least of which will be the inevitable competition it'll promote among the brothers. Before you know it we'll have "Delegate Billy Baldwin," "Senator Daniel Baldwin," and ultimately "President Stephen Baldwin." Let's just nip this in the bud now.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | July 20, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

So, does Alec Baldwin have any, y'know, credentials for public office?

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | July 20, 2009 2:17 PM

Bawlmer, you have a point. For all the time Alec B. spends in the gossip columns, it does seem that he can keep his pants zipped.

Posted by: northgs | July 20, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

If Alec Baldwin had any balls, he'd change his name to Pete Schweddy.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | July 20, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Nosy, you forgot Sonny Bono and Senator Al Franken.

Posted by: northgs | July 20, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Isn't Clint Eastwood the mayor of somewhere or other? Can you imagine what the city council meetings must be like....
"Well citizen, about this annexation, do you feel lucky?"

Posted by: VaLGaL | July 20, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Having grown up near a major city in Ohio, I'd have to say that - back in the day - residents in my area would not have been particularly comfortable with voting for someone like Alec Baldwin. We'd have prefered politicians like James Gandolfini, Tony Sirico, Steve Van Zandt, etc. Remember, you're only as good as your last envelope.....

Posted by: GroovisMaximus61 | July 20, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

VaL.GaL, Eastwood was mayor of Carmel-by-the-Sea, California. I believe he most famously tried to outlaw the consumption of ice cream cones by pedestrians in public.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 20, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

northgs
Nosy, you forgot Sonny Bono and Senator Al Franken.

That doesn't make the situation any better.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 20, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Liz
[Lucy] Lawless may no longer be a go-to gal for the paparazzi in this post-"Xena" age of celebutantes, but the 41-year-old actress is still around and working regularly...

Imagine, a performer who's working and possibly leading a more normal life. Owe, the humanity!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 20, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Speaking as an Ohioan, thanks for the warning. However I must honestly say he can't be much worse than the current and last governor.

Another celebrity politician (and governor) Phyllis Brown, former KY governor and Miss America.

Posted by: hodie | July 20, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

hodie, I thought it was Phyllis George's then-husband John Y. Brown who was governor of Kentucky, and that she was just First Lady of the blue-grass Commonwealth.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 20, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Groovis, wouldn't those folks you mentioned be candidates in New Jersey, not Ohio?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 20, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm just saying, if we were going to import actor-type candidates - it wouldn't be Alec Baldwin.

Posted by: GroovisMaximus61 | July 20, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

I guess if actors from Ohio were going to run for governor we could choose from people like Halle Berry, Martin Mull, Rob Lowe, Allison Janney, Dave Chappelle, Joel Grey, Anne Heche, Woody Harrelson, Carol Kane or Jonathan Winters. I'd definitely vote for Jonathan Winters.

Posted by: GroovisMaximus61 | July 20, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Gov. Halle Berry ? LIKE IT. I'd also enjoy the team of Gov. Allison Janney / Lt. Governor Joel Grey, for the photo ops alone. Willkommen to Ohio, Mr. President.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | July 20, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Nosy, I think you're right about Phyllis George but I could have sworn she became governor later after her husband. Shows you what I know. I'll keep my mouth shut and only speak up on medical issues.

Other Ohio celebrities, Nich Lachey and SJP. And Jerry Springer was actually Cinci mayor for awhile.

Posted by: hodie | July 20, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

My first reaction regarding celebs/actors running for office is "OMG! Actors are so stupid! Hasn't anyone watched Celebrity Jeopardy? The SNL parody isn't that far off." But then I think of the many leotards that are in Congress now. Can't get much worse really.

re: leotards. Not cool to say the other "tard" so leotard is standing in for "vapid, self-absorbed, no commonsense lame-o's".

Posted by: jelo97 | July 20, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Jerry Springer actually has a law degree from Northwestern. He went from being mayor to being a tv news anchor before getting into pro wrestling, er, tv talk shows.

Posted by: memphis1 | July 20, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 20, 2009 4:43 PM

-------------------------------------------

Why did I read it as "First Lay"?

Hmmmm...since her marriage to John Brown was the second for both parties, she couldn't have been "First Lay." And, given the recent predilections of politicians, there's no way that the spouse of a politcian can be the "First Lay." That honor usually goes to the paramour.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | July 20, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Lucy Lawless was also a guest judge on one episode of Rupaul's Drag Race. It aired in late spring/early summer.

Posted by: bibliomel1 | July 21, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse