Posted at 8:29 AM ET, 08/ 7/2009

Trial Date for Freeman; R.I.P., John Hughes

By Jen Chaney

John Hughes, hanging at a locker circa 1984. (AP)
Friday

Headlines: Trial date set for Morgan Freeman in car wreck case ... Victoria Beckham and Katy Perry to serve as guest judges on "American Idol" ... Madonna cancels Slovenia gig ... Airplane of Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore makes emergency landing ... Miley Cyrus granted temporary restraining order against man arrested earlier this week for allegedly stalking her; meanwhile, police search accused stalker's home... New York prosecutors say Michael Douglas's son has dealt large quantities of meth since 2006 ... Jay-Z, Rihanna and Kanye West to kick off Jay Leno's new show... Tom Sizemore arrested for alleged domestic violence ... Has production stopped on "Spider-Man" musical?

RIP, John Hughes: The king of '80s teen movies dies at the age of 59... Molly Ringwald pays tribute to the man who made her his muse ... More celebs say goodbye, including Jon Cryer and Judd Nelson ... Vote for your favorite Hughes teen movie ... Chat about Hughes and his films today at noon with me and the Post's Hank Stuever.

Rumor Mill: Bradley Cooper and Renee Zellweger still allegedly dating (fifth Seen and Heard item ... and no, rumors about Cooper's love life clearly never get old) ... The "real story" on new nude pics of Vanessa Hudgens.

Quote of the Day:

"As it happens, Ryan O'Neal had not seen his daughter Tatum in years. He thought she was a Swedish person. I completely understand. The truth is that had I been gay, I might have accidentally made a pass at my own sister in a mall in Las Vegas. So who's to judge? Not me."

-- Nora Ephron, defending Ryan O'Neal on Huffington Post

Guest Celebritologist Jen Chaney still wants to know the answer to life's most crucial philosophical question: "What about prom, Blaine?"

By Jen Chaney  | August 7, 2009; 8:29 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Remembering the Teen Movies of John Hughes
Next: Clip Show: Breaking Down the Best (and Worst) Movie Trailers

Comments

Morgan Freeman takes the stand: "Your Honor, it was my fault. You see, it was my granddaughter's birthday and I was rushing home to give her something very special."

Never mind your Kenyan president: most of the judges on "American Idol" are Brits now. Britain thinks like an Empire. That whole "American Revolution"? A mere blip in history, about to be erased.

How prosecutors knew what Michael Douglas's son was up to: those 2am infomercials for "Cameron Douglas's Meth Warehouse" starring the late Billy Mays.

"Jay-Z, Rihanna and Kanye West to kick off Jay Leno's new show." In yer faces, everyone who thought Jay Leno wasn't the hippest mofo around. Word, y'all. Fer shizzle. Etc.

"Has production stopped on "Spider-Man" musical?" I believe the phrase you were looking for, JC, was,"Hey there, there goes the Spider-Man."

John Hughes: It's always sad when a famous person dies before there's been a chance to do a "Where are they now?" feature.

The "real story" on new nude pics of Vanessa Hudgens: now that she's 21, people just aren't as interested in them.

"As it happens, Ryan O'Neal had not seen his daughter Tatum in years. He thought she was a Swedish person. I completely understand."
-- Nora Ephron
The Rest Of The Story: It's traditional to hit on Swedes at funerals - some kind of Viking thing.

Posted by: byoolin1 | August 7, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

It seems to me the likelyhood of doing something successful in music after winning american idol is roughly equivalent to getting your health insurance company to pay your claim after being diagnosed with a catastrophic illness. That said - i dont know why anyone remotely cares.

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | August 7, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Ashton, you must turn off all electronic devices during take-offs and landings, you twittering idiot!

Spiderman the musical?? At least there will be no way you can tell when Spidey is lipsynching!

Psssst, Nora! They were at a funeral! Even in Hollywood that is Ick. Nast.

yes, R.I.P. John Hughes.

Posted by: hodie | August 7, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

What was wonderful about John Hughes movies is that the teen characters were complex and kids I could relate to (at least for me - a middle class white kid in the 80s). Doesn't seem the teen movies since that time period have accomplished that with maybe a couple of exceptions (like Mean Girls and Clueless).

Posted by: kvs71 | August 7, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Uh, Nora, had you been gay AND into incest? Is that what you mean?

And again, it was not only a funeral - but, supposedly although I have never liked him, the death of the love of his life. He was picking up girls while he was laying his loved one in her grave???

Posted by: Amelia5 | August 7, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Why is Tom Sizemore still walking around free? Shouldn't he be behind bars just on general principle?

Posted by: jaybbub | August 7, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

There was a Spiderman Musical to be IN production which can be stopped???

Nora, you're not helping.

I think Ryan O'Neal should date Candy Spelling. They can kvetch about their ungrateful children that they never see together.

Will be at a hearing in Harford County today so will miss the John Hughes Chat.

Double extra Friday Love to the Swayze. Hang in there, summer is almost over.

Posted by: epjd | August 7, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: byoolin1 | August 7, 2009 9:02 AM |
=============
At the "time of Obama's birth," Kenya was still part of the British Empire. Coinkydink? I think not.

Posted by: mdreader01 | August 7, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

"[Leno] said that he'll expect guests on his new show to do more than talk - like, for example, race electric cars on a track being built near his NBC studio in Burbank."

Imagine a drunk Lindsay Lohan racing a drunk David Hasselhof! This could be big fun!

Posted by: mdreader01 | August 7, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Dear NBC Executives,

If Leno's show completely tanks, would you consider doing yet another American knock-off of a popular and beloved British show, "Top Gear?" Leno would be perfect for that. Why you didn't do this in the first place is beyond me.

Posted by: mdreader01 | August 7, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I was sure Nora Ephron was being sarcastic... but apparently not.

Posted by: kirstenpaulson | August 7, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

New reality show, "America's Got Woodies" featuring Morgan Freeman, Ryan O'Neal and Billy Ray Cyrus, with Nora Ephron as a celebrity judge. Too bad the rest of us aren't as articulate as Nora. Takes a lot of talent to excuse someone because they thought they were hitting on a random stranger at a funeral.

Posted by: reddragon1 | August 7, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Nora Ephron, even Shia LeBoeuf is grossed out by that statement; Ryan O'Neal is too stoned to care.

What is the New York gay club scene coming to? First the Roxy closes, then Cher quits doing live shows, now Cameron Douglas is out of business. What next - no "make new friends" drink specials during Fleet Week?

RIP John Hughes.

Posted by: northgs | August 7, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I have tickets to Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark and had to re-book the tickets once already because the opening date got pushed back. I will be really p-o'ed if I have to reschedule again. And you don't want to make me angry.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 7, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: reddragon1 | August 7, 2009 10:50 AM

Excellent point, Reddragon. Perhaps she has a future in politics?

Posted by: northgs | August 7, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

A really nice tribute to John Hughes:

Seemed like a nice guy & good for the author for writing him back & not taking a form letter as a proper response!

Posted by: wadejg | August 7, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I believe Nora Ephron's tongue was firmly in her cheek when she wrote this - she is a comedy writer after all.

Posted by: lafred | August 7, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

lafred, I agree. I thought Nora was so close to her sister Delia that they'd collaborated on some films. Do they have a third sister? (Too lazy to look it up)

byoolin, you harvested so much low-hanging fruit earlier this morning that I don't really have much snark to offer.

How's sorcerer's cat's cat doing today? Hope kitty's on the mend.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | August 7, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

More good healing vibes to sorcerer's cat's cat ...

RIP John Hughes. I wish more celebs (ahem, Tom Cruise) would take note of how he lived his life.

Sorry Nora, Ryan O'Neal's still a total pig. There's no excuse for making a pass at ANYONE at your long-time partner's funeral.

Posted by: Californian11 | August 7, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Thanks you guys. Tavi came through the surgery well and apparently had a good night. I may be able to visit him later today.

I really really HOPE Nora Ephron was making a joke. It sounds like a joke. She is a funny person. Please let it be a joke.

Sad about John Hughes. Must do a film marathon in his honor.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | August 7, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Yay, Tavi!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | August 7, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Hands and paws are clapping in California for Tavi. =^..^=

Posted by: Californian11 | August 7, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

holy cow, did you read where cocaine played a factor in billy mays's death.

Posted by: frieda406 | August 7, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse