Posted at 8:20 AM ET, 08/31/2009

DJ AM's Autopsy Inconclusive

By Nancy Kerr

Headlines: DJ AM -- aka Adam Goldstein -- found dead in New York on Friday; autopsy is inconclusive, although friends say he was upset over recent breakup. Blink-182 pays tribute to their friend... Kelly Preston not ready to speak about son Jett's death... Demi Moore denies youthful look is the result of plastic surgery...Katherine Heigl throws a baby shower for "Grey's" buddy Ellen Pompeo... Kristen Stewart says she shares a "closeness" with "Twilight" costar Robert Pattinson... Jon Gosselin hosts a pool party in Las Vegas -- with his mom.... Full list of winners of the 36th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards; "View" ladies, Tyra, Rachael Ray, winners...Whitney Houston's comeback CD getting strong reviews...Spike Lee throws a birthday bash honoring Michael Jackson in Brooklyn.

Guest Celebritologist Nancy is subbing for an under-the-weather Liz

By Nancy Kerr  | August 31, 2009; 8:20 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jeremy Piven Wins Sushi-Gate Arbitration; Madonna Booed in Romania
Next: Chris Brown Says He Does Remember Assault

Comments

Overheard at Jon Gosselin & His Mom's pool party: "Ohmigod! There's a giant turd in the pool! - Oh, no, wait, it's just my son."

Posted by: byoolin1 | August 31, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Aren't birthday parties typically reserved for the living? Put another mark down on the MJ is still alive tally.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | August 31, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Hope Andy and Opie cuddle up with Queen Liz to help nurse her back to health, so she's feeling better real soon.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | August 31, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Get well, Liz. (no offense, Nancy)

Will Ashton tweet a more recent pic of Demi's butt for comparison purposes? Purely for fact-checking purposes, of course.

Enough bogus award shows. Bring on the Lizzies!

Posted by: reddragon1 | August 31, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nosy_Parker

And Page.

Posted by: zn123 | August 31, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

It's soo lovely to hear about that "closeness" between Kristen and Rob.

Sort of like a beard to a chin.

Snarkily yours,

Curmudgeon

Posted by: bmschumacher | August 31, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Get well soon Liz.
Thanks for filling in Nancy.

Man, a part of me wants to be Kate's divorce lawyer. Jon is practically handing the case to her. On the other hand, her micromanaging ways would drive me nuts. "Why did you file that motion, I told you to file this one?" "No, I said this." "I told you to take this person's deposition." Etc.

Posted by: epjd | August 31, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Props to The Heigl for throwing a party and (as reported, at least) not making it all about her. Or maybe she just hasn't seen the caterer's bill yet...

Jon Gosselin, find your rock and crawl back under it, please.

The New York media are reporting that Adam Goldstein's death is being called an "accidental overdose": yeah, that's pretty easy to do when you're cracked out and addicted to Xanax.

Posted by: northgs | August 31, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Adam Goldstein just disproved the old adage that surviving a plane crash gives you a new lease on life.

I'd hate to think that the entire future of the magazine industry and perhaps Annie Leibowitz's career is hanging on whether Demi and Ashton decide to have a baby.

I heard that over the weekend, both Al Gore and the California Firefighters Association called Jon Gosslin and Katherine Heigl and begged them not to throw any more parties.

Posted by: mdreader01 | August 31, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

"Demi Moore denies youthful look is the result of plastic surgery..."

Oh, thank you for the best laugh I've had in a while!

Posted by: jaybbub | August 31, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jaybbub | August 31, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

And the week is off to a strong start with two Comment of the Week contenders:

"Overheard at Jon Gosselin & His Mom's pool party: 'Ohmigod! There's a giant turd in the pool! - Oh, no, wait, it's just my son.'"--byoolin

"DJ AM found dead in his apartment in New York? Has anyone checked Mary-Kate Olsen's whereabouts?" -- jaybub

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | August 31, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

After seeing the link about the great reviews for the Whitney Houston CD (I had been underwhelmed by the song, "I Look to You"), I decided to check out the sample clips on Amazon to prove my first impression wrong.

Did these reviewers hear the same album? Or was it like that Patridge Family episode where the blonde girl couldn't sing at all so they put her in hot pants before the USO concert so all the screaming drowned out her voice?

Whitney's voice is not what it was. Far from it. What was once a tremendously powerful soprano voice has turned into an average yet scratchy also. Sad.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | August 31, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

The DJAM-MKO comment deserves at least honorable mention when we get to Comment of the Week. (hey, maybe we can convince Nancy that Liz does that every week...)

Posted by: reddragon1 | August 31, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

td, I'm with you on Whitney. What I heard barely sounded like her and one person on the Today show yesterday tried to excuse it on "age", that at 46 she's unable to hit those notes anymore. So that's what they're calling vocal damage caused by crack.

Posted by: zn123 | August 31, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Aw shucks, y'all, I'm blushing.

Posted by: jaybbub | August 31, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zn123 | August 31, 2009 11:51 AM
=================
At age 44 Barbra Streisand won an Grammy for "The Broadway Album" and she one yet another Grammy in 2008.

Posted by: mdreader01 | August 31, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Get well soon, Liz, and I hope Page, Andy and Opie are snuggling with you.

Demi Moore denies having had plastic surgery?!!!!!!!!!? OMG. Just ... OMG. Yeah, we were all born yesterday AND just fell off the turnip truck. The ginormous implant boobs alone!! Hello?! She was very small-breasted in her early career, then these basketballs showed up bolted to her very-rocked, zero-body-fat self in G.I. Jane. Demi. Get a grip. We are not stupid. It's very obvious you have had tons of work done.

And she wants to have a baby? At 46? Hon, you may look 20 but you're a bit long in the tooth for that ...

Posted by: Californian11 | August 31, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Hahahahaha, Byoolin's the BEST.

Posted by: Trumance1 | August 31, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Demi Moore and plastic surgery:

A double feature of Blame It On Rio and Striptease is more than enough evidence. Not that I would wish that on anyone.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 31, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Californian11, I had always thought she was upfront about the boob job, but maybe I was misdirected by Ashton's tweet. If you don't back off, he won't re-tweet the seat, and we won't have Demi's derriere to moon over (!)

Posted by: reddragon1 | August 31, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

heh heh heh :-)

Posted by: Californian11 | August 31, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: byoolin1 |

------------------------------------------
If we pursue this metaphor, Mom must be an.....

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | August 31, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Someone should clue in Demi Moore that she can't have a baby via plastic surgery.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | August 31, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Sas
If we pursue this metaphor, Mom must be...

A "glass bowl," as they say in Hax-land. (Or in this special case, maybe a "glass bowel"?)

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | August 31, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

liz is gone for one day and the chat goes down the toilet...

Posted by: reddragon1 | August 31, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

liz is gone for one day and the chat goes down the toilet...

Posted by: reddragon1 | August 31, 2009 2:36 PM

Hey, we're just following where Jon Gosselin is leading us.

-The Poster Formerly Known as Snarky Squirrel

Posted by: 7900rmc | August 31, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

reddragon, are you referring to the numerous mentions of turds?

Wow folks, you should see the smoke cloud over Mt. Wilson. From here it practically looks like a mushroom cloud. And we lost two firefighters over the weekend. Such a bummer.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | August 31, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

cat, I heard on the news re the tragic deaths of the firefighters. Just.So.Sad. (and sure puts a lot of those self-absorbed celebs our there into proper perspective).

Am supposed to be in LA for a couple days next month on business, so hope there aren't any fires then. What do folks out there do to keep from having their breathing adversely affected by all the smoke etc.? Just stay indoors as much as possible?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | August 31, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Pretty much, Nosy. Run to the beach or stay indoors with your AC running. Depends entirely on wind, humidity etc how wide-spread the smokey air is--under some conditions a marine layer comes in and just sits on it, holding it down into the LA Basin. Today is very clear (hence the horribly spectacular view of the cloud) with a light breeze by the beach. But if they've got more wind in the east, they're in big trouble. I read this morning that the fire DOUBLED in size overnight.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | August 31, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Those firefighters are all true heroes in my book, from professional firefighters to convicts doing public service. Stay safe, cat.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | August 31, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Can you hear the soundtrack to the movei now?

UK police to review Rolling Stones guitarist death
LONDON (AP) -- British police said Monday they will review the death of Rolling Stones guitarist Brian Jones, whose 1969 drowning was ruled an accident but sparked decades of speculation that he was murdered...

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | August 31, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

movie, dammit, movie!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | August 31, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

"Katherine Heigl throws a baby shower for "Grey's" buddy Ellen Pompeo...and then promptly removes herself for godmother consideration."

Excellent snark there, Dorkus!

Nosy, where in LA will you be?

A movie I've been working on is going to show in the DC Environmental Film Festival in March and I'm trying to wrangle the powers that be to send me with it. I may even coordinate a screening at my alma Mater while I'm there...if they let me go, that is.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | August 31, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Cerritos area. It's really only 1½ days, sort of a forced-march situation (not a vacation), with no time to call my own, alas.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | August 31, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Awesome news, cat! May everything work out as you hope. There's nice weather some days in DC in March.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | August 31, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Cerritos is kind of a haul from here--too bad! We could have had a tiki bar substitution!

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | August 31, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Cat, is your alma mater AU, UMd, or...?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | August 31, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

I was hoping to get away for a couple hours to WeHo, where a cousin has moved, but he and his husband had already planned to be out-of-town that weekend.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | August 31, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

cat, I hear MJ's being buried at Forest Lawn. As it should be.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | August 31, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm a Hoya, Sas. ;-) Otherwise known as a "What"...

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | August 31, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Hey Nosy, so long as they put him in the damn ground sometime soon, I don't care where they plant him!

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | August 31, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Well you know it probably took a long time to fill out all the environmetnal paperwork. You can't bury that much plastic just anywhere.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | August 31, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Dorkus

Maybe that's why they couldn't cremate MJ, then scatter the ashes, either.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | August 31, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Of course! *smacks forehead*

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | August 31, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Were the Emmys dedicated to mediocrity this year?

Posted by: msame | August 31, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Or, Dear Cat, as we used to yell in foreign locations to identify ourselves to our fellow GU members:

"What the hell's a Hoya?!?!"

Which school?

I was in the College of Arts and Sciences.

Damn! Beauty and The Best come from the same place.

Who woulda thunk?

Posted by: angelos_peter | August 31, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Angelos, if you come back to check, I too was in the College.

What's a Hoya? Exactly.