Posted at 8:36 AM ET, 08/13/2009

Jackson Still Topping Music Charts; Reese Witherspoon Sports a Shiner

By Liz Kelly

Wearing a dress from her burlesque revue "Peepshow," Holly Madison arrives at the Las Vegas premiere of "The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard" on Wednesday. (Getty Images)
Thursday

Headlines: Weeks after death, Michael Jackson albums still topping charts... Michael Douglas "devastated" by son's arrest... Mel Gibson's girlfriend says she's not sure they'll marry... If not for acting, Jennifer Aniston would have been a microsurgeon... Sidney Poitier honored with Presidential Medal of Freedom... Anna Faris marries boyfriend... Hayden Panettiere blames the media for destroying her love life... Reality star Kourtney Kardashian pregnant... "Big Brother" contestant is Heather Mills's nanny... Gary Coleman wants us to eat fries... Neighbors complain about noise coming from Guy Ritchie's London pub... Anna Nicole Smith book defamation case gets trial.

Pix: Reese Witherspoon shows off shiner... Kim Kardashian goes blonde, Ashley Tisdale goes brunette... Britney Spears sporting engagement ring?... Brad Pitt takes sons Pax and Maddox to Green Day concert.

Rumor Mill: Kate Hudson ready to start a family with A-Rod?... Paula Abdul angling for her own ABC show?... Guy Ritchie dating 26-year-old actress?... Kate Moss and Lily Allen smoke a joint on St. Tropez yacht.

Not News: Justin Timberlake did not buy Connecticut estate.

Video: Britney Spears's Circus tour opener (complete with unsettling Perez Hilton intro).

List: 35 Worst Celebrity Tattoos [BuzzFeed]

Bored at Work? Watch all 19 episodes of "My So Called Life" online.

Chat Day: Join me at 2 p.m. ET for this week's hour of celebrity study/snarking, Celebritology Live. Then, stick around The "Lost" Hourat 3 p.m. ET.

By Liz Kelly  | August 13, 2009; 8:36 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rachel Zoe Moves in on Gwyneth's GOOP
Next: Shiantology: The Cult of LaBeouf

Comments

"Weeks after death, Michael Jackson albums still topping charts..." I see that the music-buying public has fallen hook, line and singer for the elaborate MJ death hoax.

"Mel Gibson's girlfriend says she's not sure they'll marry..." This is why Mel picked a girlfriend whose English wasn't so good.

"If not for acting, Jennifer Aniston would have been a microsurgeon..." Liz Kelly, where are your editors? The word is "waitress," not "microsurgeon."

Gary Coleman: You and me, Le P'Tit Riv chip stand in Sturgeon Falls, Ontario. You name the time and date. I'll show you from fries.

What's Next in Not News: Justin Timberlake and Connecticut estate are "just friends."

Posted by: byoolin1 | August 13, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Huh, a small fry selling french fries, gotta love it.

Mel's new girlfriend had a kid with Timothy Dalton as well? Well, it's a little better than dating one of George Lazenby's cast-offs.

Stephen Baldwin's Hannah Montana tat really gives you that creepy uncle vibe.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | August 13, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

byoo,
You are ahead of the curve once again.
I was just going to say that since Jennifer Aniston's IQ seems to be south of 90 she would probably have been a waitress at Denny's if she was not an actress.

Posted by: Iowahoosier | August 13, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

George Lazenby -- good one Dorkus.

Cameron Douglas is still "devastated" that Dad married a woman only 10 years older than Cameron himself.

I thought Sidney Poitier already had every award possible. "Other recipients of this year's Medal of Freedom - America's highest civilian honour - include entertainer Chita Rivera, science genius Stephen Hawking . . . and Archbishop Desmond Tutu." Now THAT'S a party crowd. I want to see Chita do the bump with Tutu.

Is there a list of 35 Best Celebrity Tattoos? I just don't see the point of tattoos. As my sister says, "if you want to display art on your body, put it on a t-shirt."

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | August 13, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

"Neighbors complain about noise coming from Guy Ritchie's London pub"

"Guy Ritchie dating 26-year-old actress?"

That would explain the noise. (Well, either that or someone hoisted a pint and said, "Hey Guy, why don't you direct a remake of 'Who's That Girl?'")

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | August 13, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Neighbors complain about noise from Guy Ritchie's pub. It's a PUB. Did they think it would be quiet?

Mel Gibson's girlfriend seems to have a modicum of intelligence. She gets that she is just there to produce more spawn, not actually be a companion.

Posted by: epjd | August 13, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

35 worst celeb tattoos - should be required viewing for people thinking about getting a tattoo.

Will we ever return to calling people by their real names? Is it that difficult to say "Alex Rodriguez"?

Posted by: kvs09 | August 13, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Jordan Catalano. Love.

Posted by: Guest1234 | August 13, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

"[Reese Witherspoon] was spotted with boyfriend Jake Gylllenhaal at an Elton John concert in the city earlier this month, where the singer dedicated his song Tiny Dancer to her."

Again...all these newspaper cutbacks have resulted in such bad editing. We all know it should be "him" and not "her."

Posted by: mdreader01 | August 13, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Jennifer would have been a microsurgeon if not an actress? Now why didn't she? Did she exceed the height requirement? (rimshot please)

Poor, poor, Hayden. (making pouty face) Seriously, even though I would rather have her problems than mine, those paps are stepping over the line. There ought to be a law!

Agree Tom Arnold wins hands down for worst (and I'm sure most regrettable) tattoo but I think Kimberly Stewart should get some "Ick, Nast " points for "Daddy's girl" just above her ..ahem....

Posted by: hodie | August 13, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Hayden, I can see why at 19 you would be shocked--shocked!--that a lead actress in a hit TV series would attract media attention. Obviously you need the freedom to destroy your love life on your own.

I love the comment that Reese's shiner was "obviously caused by being hit by a ball" in the movie she's filming.

Kate Hudson, lots of people have wanted to start a family with A-Rod. Good luck with that.

Great documentation of the Kate Moss/Lily Allen joint venture. Just the kind of info we need during vacation season.

Posted by: reddragon1 | August 13, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

kvs09, "A-Rod" is just SO apropos!

Posted by: reddragon1 | August 13, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

OK, made me look (another ten minutes of my life I'll never get back; sigh). Those Celebrity tats are something. So, so . . . educational! Apparently:

* Mike Tyson and Jamie Foxx use the same needle person, who in turn got his/her start painting country-esque wall stencils in Chinese homes
* Eminen's daughter resembles Linda Blair in "The Exorcist"
* Fred Durst's potential bedroom partners must enjoy virtual four-ways with two talented deceased musicians and a living hack
* Sylvester Stallone had only one wife (I thought there were more; wink)
* There's something in this world call a Bam Margera.

But I must differ in the opinion that Stephen Baldwin's HM tattoo is definitively a Hannah Montana tribute -- I just think Miley happened to be nearby once and Stephen went heeeyyyy -- my guess would be that Mr. Baldwin is honoring (Presidential Medal of Freedom honoree) Harvey Milk. Makes MUCH more sense.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | August 13, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

kvs09, "A-Rod" is just SO apropos!

Posted by: reddragon1 | August 13, 2009 ---------
yeah, I realize that but I also catch myself wanting to make lame jokes about Kate Hudson needing "A-Rod" to make more babies.

Posted by: kvs09 | August 13, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

and a rimshot for kvs09

Posted by: hodie | August 13, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Someone should save Holly before vemon completely takes her over.

Posted by: petalceleb | August 13, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Ewwww. Kate "Ho" Hudson and A "Man Ho"-Rod spawning? That would be a serious collision of double-ick-nast.

Posted by: jaybbub | August 13, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

RIP Les Paul, electric guitar and overdubbing pioneer, age 94.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | August 13, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Agree with Hodie that Kimberly Stewart wins the Ick. Nast. award for the day with that tat.

I actually think Kate and Alex are a decent couple: about the same age, more beautiful than brainy, and divorced parents of young children.

So, Gary Coleman has given up taco wrestling for french fries?

Posted by: northgs | August 13, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

RIP Les Paul, music-technology genius.

Posted by: northgs | August 13, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Who is Holly Madison?

Oh great, another Kardashian. Just what the world needs.

I feel sorry for Nick Cannon. That ginormous Mariah tattoo's gonna be hell to get removed after the breakup.

And oh, how the mighty have fallen. I used to think Reggie Miller was hotter than chili peppers in July ...

Posted by: Californian11 | August 13, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Californian11-

If that happens, he could always change the first letter M to a P.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | August 13, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I see others beat me to the Summer of Death update.

RIP Les Paul.

Posted by: epjd | August 13, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Holly Madison's dress presents a great idea for a Project Runway challenge -- create an outfit for a premiere consisting primarily of obsolete materials (in Holly's case, typewriter ribbons).

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | August 13, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

ep, I'd divide the Summer of Death in halves: Those who lived very long full lives, like Les Paul, Karl Malden, Eunice Shriver and Bea Arthur, whose deaths weren't entirely unexpected; and those who died well before their time, sometimes coming as a huge shock (MJ especially, but even Farrah because of her age, despite the length of her illness).

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | August 13, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

They still all seem to be croaking at the same time. I mean you expect old people to die throughout the year. There has just been this cluster.

John Quade today too. As someone in the chat said "that guy." He was only 71.

Posted by: epjd | August 13, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

"...those who died well before their time, sometimes coming as a huge shock..."

Natasha Richardson tops that list for me.

Posted by: Californian11 | August 13, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | August 13, 2009 3:24 PM
===============
I was thinking she used Hef's old 8mm filmstrips.

Posted by: mdreader01 | August 13, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse