Posted at 8:30 AM ET, 08/ 3/2009

Ryan O'Neal Hits on Daughter; Katherine Jackson Returns to Court

By Delece Smith-Barrow
Monday

Headlines: Mark Wahlberg marries longtime girlfriend Rhea Durham…Tyra Banks, Hillary Duff to appear on Gossip Girl...Jessica Biel breaks into musical theater...Jaime Pressly engaged...Ryan O'Neal admits he mistakenly hit on daughter Tatum at Farrah Fawcett’s funeral...Katherine Jackson in court today for control of son's estate... Former Paris Hilton manager shopping tell-all book.

Crime Watch: Nicolas Cage owes IRS $6.2 million.

TV Watch: Jon & Kate Plus 8 returns tonight.

Pix: Jennifer Lopez vacations in Italy with husband Marc Anthony and twins...Russell Brand dons interesting workout gear.

Video:: Jude Law's possible baby mama gives press conference:

Rumor Mill: Tony Romo’s wandering eye to blame for split with Jessica Simpson…Naomi Campbell attacks and hospitalizes photographer.

Coming up today: Producer Paul interviews Ashton Kutcher and Anne Heche via Skype today at 2:05 p.m. Anything you want him to ask? Leave a message for him in the comments section. And check back here later today for a video of the interview.

By Delece Smith-Barrow  | August 3, 2009; 8:30 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix  | Tags:  Farah Fawcett, Gossip Girl, Jennifer Lopez, Jessica Simpson, Katherine Jackson, Mark Walhberg, Nicolas Cage, Ryan O'Neal, Tony Romo
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Catching Up with 'What Not to Wear's' Stacy London: Special Pleat Debate Edition
Next: Heidi, We've Got Your Back!

Comments

Having a hard time deciding what is creepier: 'Accidentally' hitting on your daughter or trying to pick people up at your long-time girlfriend's funeral.

Have to go with the incest thing. Giving your 11-year-old coke runs a close second. Ick nast.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 3, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Yello, an understandable drugged-out horndog mistake, which he instantly tried to rectify. Still, Ryan gets today's Woodie award.

Guess it shows how old I am when I have to Google Image to distinguish between the diverse talents of Hillary Swank and Hillary Duff. Luckily, I can still pick out Hillary Clinton without that particular crutch.

The IRS should look behind the Declaration of Independence for the secret map to Nick Cage's $2M.

Posted by: reddragon1 | August 3, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Producer Paul, Don't forget to ask Ashton and Anne their opinions of ScarJo.

Posted by: reddragon1 | August 3, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Mark Wahlberg marries Rhea Durham - call me when it's Rhea Perlman.

"Jessica Biel breaks into musical theater" - acting doesn't provide enough thrills, so she's turned to burglary?

Ryan O'Neal just might be the creepiest f*#& ever.

Nicolas Cage owes the IRS $6M, but for some reason they keep bothering John Travolta.

Tony Romo: wandering eye, or what-was-I-thinking eye?

Naomi's photographer now owns three kinds of cameras: SLR, DSLR, and D-shoved-up-his-ass.

Posted by: byoolin1 | August 3, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

I know this is a no-politicks zone, but if this isn't celebrity gossip I'll eat that broccoli over there:

"AlaskaReport has learned today that Todd Palin and former Alaska governor Sarah Palin are to divorce. Multiple sources in Wasilla and Anchorage (including a former Palin staffer) have confirmed the split."

Your friend,

Curmudgeon

Posted by: bmschumacher | August 3, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

byoolin,
Golf clap for the Face/Off call-out.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 3, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Nicolas Cage owes IRS $6.2 million.
-Plus he owes me $30 for Hollow Man, The Knowing, and Ghost Rider.

Ryan, the funeral of the woman who you said you were going to marry only hours before she died is not a place to pick up women. Stop watching Wedding Crashers.

Tony Romo has a wandering eye? that could explain the interceptions last season.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | August 3, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Mudge, I heard on MSNBC that the Palins have denied the divorce rumors. Can we start the countdown please?

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | August 3, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Mudge, goodness knows I'm not any defender of the Palins, but reportedly on her Facebook page Sarah is denying the divorce rumors. Now if the couple should renew their vows or get his 'n' hers tats (or wasn't there some other sign we've noted?) any time soon, then I might start believing the gossip.

On a serious note, I recall reading serious news profiles of Sarah Palin last fall indicating that she may well have been a very nice person even as late as when she was in college -- which made me start to wonder what happened in her life after that to cause her to act retributively in later years. My conclusion? Perhaps Todd. Anyone else remember how Anita Bryant eventually revealed that it was her husband who had pushed her into (and to keep up) her virulent anti-homosexual campaign back in the '70s? (Didn't she eventually divorce him?)

Then there was Lurleen Wallace, whose husband George got her to serve as Governor of Alabama when he was no longer eligible, even when the poor thing had terminal cancer. My point is that maybe Sarah Palin's leaving the Alaska governorship had to do with finally standing up to Todd. Just a theory, though I wonder...

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | August 3, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Former Paris Hilton manager shopping tell-all book: does Dollar General have a publishing division?

Ryan O'Neal, are you permanenty cracked out or just skeevy and disgusting?

Nicholas Cage owes the IRS $6.2M how? Was a cut of the Presley estate part of his divorce settlement?

Tony Romo is a quarterback, he gets paid to look over the field and decide who's most open to receive a pass. (No comment on what will be caught.)

Posted by: northgs | August 3, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Love means never having to say "Who's your Daddy?"

Posted by: GroovisMaximus61 | August 3, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Interesting long form article on Anne Heche in yesterday's Ny Times, titled "Anne Heche Is Playing It Normal Now":

She actually sounds quite normal and down-to-earth, considering how much her parents put her through in early life.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | August 3, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Love means never having to say "Who's your Daddy?"

Posted by: GroovisMaximus61

*******************************************

Ladies and gentlemen, I think we have a winner.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | August 3, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Editor's note: O'Neil changed to O'Neal. Clearly more caffeine is needed this a.m.

Posted by: Nancy_Kerr | August 3, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Ryan O'Neil admits he mistakenly hit on daughter Tatum at Farrah Fawcett’s funeral.

As opposed to purposely, should we assume?

(Then there was my aunt's "gentleman friend," who proposed to her at the cemetery right while her husband (who'd just died a couple of days earlier) was being buried. She said "No," and was furious at his insensitivity (is there some sort of adultery etiquette book that I've never heard of?). While the relationship continued another 15 years (including her nursing him through his declining health till his death), she never forgave his crass graveyard proposal, and refused his repeated subsequent proposals. Afterwards, the man's estranged daughter challenged her father's will, which left everything to my aunt; after a protracted legal battle, my aunt prevailed. Though I was no fan of my aunt, goodness knows she "earned" his money if for nothing else than taking care of him during his illnesses in his later years)

End of family dirty-laundry-airing.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | August 3, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

How long has it been since Ryan saw Tatum? Must have been ages if he failed to recognize her before hitting on her.

Byoolin -- I am going with "what was I thinking" eye.

Get the Skype interviews in before they shut down.

Yes, this is a politics free zone. Let's leave Sarah Palin out of at least ONE column folks.

Posted by: epjd | August 3, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

"If Paris Hilton didn't have Jason Moore pulling the strings, cleaning up her messes ... she could well have faded into oblivion."

- Attention Sarah Palin and Jon Gosselin.

Posted by: mdreader01 | August 3, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Monday am and the lizards have already hit the ground running.

I second the nomination for Ryan O'Neal to get the Woody award. Ick. Nast, indeed.

Producer Paul, I would ask Ashton if there is possibly anything we don't already know about Ashton Kutcher.

Ick. Nast again! Didn't need to see the Russell Brand pick. Looks like he could be Bruno past due on a body waxing.

Posted by: hodie | August 3, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

What are Ashton & Anne pimping now, besides themselves?

Or is this just random drive-by interview for the hell of it?

Posted by: wadejg | August 3, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Thoreau wasn't thinking of Jessica Simpson when he penned "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Her desperation is way, way too public.

Posted by: GroovisMaximus61 | August 3, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nancy_Kerr

***

Nancy Kerr? WTF?

And who is Delece Smith-Barrow, whose name is at the bottom of today's post? GIVE US OUR LIZ KELLY BACK!!!!!

(If I seem a little paranoid, it's because I just read the Philip K. Dick story "Second Variety" this morning. I'd hate to find out Liz Kelly was eaten by robots programmed to take over the world. [shakes fist at robots])

Posted by: byoolin1 | August 3, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Here's a historical Palin note.

I was reading an old magazine in the doctor's office and it was all about politics in 2008 - and it listed all these achievements of women (I think Marie Claire or maybe Glamor magazine?)?

Well - it went on and on and on and on about: Angelina Jolie!!! Political achievement?? How wonderful she is, etc. It was so glowing - even more than of Hilary Clinton's achievements AND it had a small paragraph on Sarah Palin as being a controversial figure.

Come on - however you feel about Angelina, the article seemed to be written by her press agent. Exactly what political achievements does she have (the magazine had some fluffy words like "amazing and endless achievements." But I can't think of any).

And even if you don't like Palin, her canidency was historical - especially for mom's - few moms are as politically successful.

Ok - so I won't get my political news from fashion magazines again, but it was eye-opening as to how much the press really does worship Angelina. What's next? Will she be cited as one of the most influential medical achievers of all time? Literature? Philosophy?

Posted by: Amelia5 | August 3, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

DM, don't we have to wait for the second honeymoon/renewal of vows to start the countdown?

Mark my words....if there is a divorce, it will be ugly. Just look at what she pulled when it was just her sister getting divorced.

Posted by: memphis1 | August 3, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

byoolin - I think you're onto something. An anagram for Delece Smith-Barrow is "Warbots leer-chide me." Now I'm worried.

Posted by: GroovisMaximus61 | August 3, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

I don't know what's creepier... that Ryan O'Neal hit on his daughter at his 30-year partner's funeral, that he didn't recgonize his own daughter or that he's talking about it.

I did, however, love Tatum's response.

Posted by: memphis1 | August 3, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Groovis, I'm now shivering uncontrollably. So this is how it ends.

Posted by: byoolin1 | August 3, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Nothing about poor Kevin Costner???

Posted by: Osteph | August 3, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Groovis, byoo', et al,

Can I interest you in some robot insurance?

VTY,

Curmudgeon

Posted by: bmschumacher | August 3, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Carm down, Liz is just on vacation. - Producer Paul

Posted by: paujwill | August 3, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

memphis, in all fairness to the Palins, if they're really NOT divorcing, wouldn't they be denying that they're divorcing?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | August 3, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I can't wait till Ryan O'Neal hits on Sarah Palin.

Posted by: ChuckFi | August 3, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Apparently, Ryan O'Neal wouldn't hit on Sarah Palin - he would hit on Bristol Palin.

Posted by: GroovisMaximus61 | August 3, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nosy_Parker

****

It's a heck of a catch, that Catch-22.

Posted by: byoolin1 | August 3, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Ryan O'Neal is the lowest of the low. Ick Nast doesn't even begin to cover it.

Oh, sure, dangle that delightful possibility in front of me only to have it yanked away ... sigh ... if only.

Posted by: Californian11 | August 3, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

"I didn't have a change of life; I was always a jerk." -Ryan O'Neal, being very truthful, for a change.

"He was a very abusive, narcissistic psychopath." -Griffin O'Neal, describing his dad.

"Sure, baby--and if you don't, I'll go with you," to which Fawcett replied, "Stop the Gleevec." -Farrah's suggestion to Ryan to end everyone's misery once and for all.

Posted by: mdreader01 | August 3, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

LIZ IS ON VACATION? Who OK'd this? What are we supposed to do out here on our own?

Posted by: jaybbub | August 3, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I tried to snark on Ryan O'Neal but my comment was reviewed and apparently found wanting.

Basically, I called Mr O'Neal a dish-bag (or something like that).

As ever,

Curmudgeon

Posted by: bmschumacher | August 3, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

So, Producer Paul, can you answer me this, will we still have chat this week?

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | August 3, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I guess I wasn't the only one who missed the chat last week. This was Liz's sign-off:

Liz Kelly: One more thing! I'll be on vacation next week, so no chat -- but I'll be back Thursday, the 13th to pick up where we left off. And make sure to check the blog next week for guest posts from a cavalcade of guest bloggers, including Producer Paul.

======
Translation: no chat on the 6th. Yes chat on the 13th. Sometime this week, Paul will devote a whole blog post to ScarJo because Ashton Kutcher and Anne Heche's interview will just be too dull to post.

Posted by: mdreader01 | August 3, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

And even if you don't like Palin, her canidency was historical

Posted by: Amelia5 | August 3, 2009 10:44 AM

And her candidacy was hysterical, too!

Posted by: mdreader01 | August 3, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Actually Palin is wayyy behind Geraldine Ferraro (in more ways than one), who was nominated as VP in 1984.

Posted by: Californian11 | August 3, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Another vote here for the "Love is" entry as quote of the week!

Sas, I think it was you, and all other fans of "Simon's Cat" hie yourself to YouTube and check out the latest entry "Fly Guy" which had me rolling. Best yet!

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | August 3, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Jaybub, last time Liz went on vacation we all spoke in foreign languages. You would think she would have learned from that experience to never leave us to our own devices.

Posted by: epjd | August 3, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Ep, quelle langue doit-on parler demain?

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | August 3, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't it last year on Liz's vacation when the Lizards made a commando raid on the Mean Mommies?

Seems to me that this seminal action caused the WaPo to fix it's sign-in procedures once and for all.

Nostalgicaly,

Curmudgeon

Posted by: bmschumacher | August 3, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Oooh, Dorkus, we love it when you talk dirty!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | August 3, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Have I mentioned how great you gals are for my ego?

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | August 3, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, We could always go after the Birthers on the Post's political blogs this summer.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | August 3, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Dorkus, you speak, I'll listen.

aaah yes, the commando raid on the mean mommies. It caused Sas' stalker to follow him here. This year we are ready, I am a real lawyer now so protective orders are locked and load.

Posted by: epjd | August 3, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Of course, it's not as if Sas needs no steenking protective orders.

But legal papers and jargon are just too sexy to wave away.

'sigh'

Curmudgeon

Posted by: bmschumacher | August 3, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

I love a woman that can speak legalese.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | August 3, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

I think as well as foreign languages the ponies ran rampant.

Posted by: jes11 | August 3, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

N_P,

Those Birthers are scawy people.

They probably have rocket propelled granades in their bathtubs just waiting for the Lizard commandos to come ashore at those blogs.

Hmmmmm. Just thought of something. Did you see the article about the new air cannon?

Slyly yours,

Curmudgeon

Posted by: bmschumacher | August 3, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | August 3, 2009 4:55 PM
=========
Not until I finish wall papering the interior of my walk-in closet with copies of Obama's Kenyan "birth certificate." I had no idea he spelled his middle name "Hoosain." The things you learn...

Posted by: mdreader01 | August 3, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Producer Paul told us to carm down.

Posted by: jes11 | August 3, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | August 3, 2009 4:55 PM

Looking at the 44 blog, we'd have plenty of targets. I didn't realize that whackadoodle came in so many flavors!

Posted by: northgs | August 3, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

jes, I think that horse, er pony, has already left the barn!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | August 3, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

northgs, we'll know them by their tin-foil headgear.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | August 3, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Dorkus,

Do you speak whackadoodle? We'll need someone to don a tinfoil hat and infiltrate behind their lines to get some good G2.

Is Silas_Howe still here?

Carming up,

Curmudgeon

Posted by: bmschumacher | August 3, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

RIP, the lovely Naomi Sims

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | August 3, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, it's Elias Howe, and he's been AWOL for months. (Or just lurking?)

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | August 3, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

(Who the h3ll is Silas Howe and why did I think he could help us?)

Yes, Elias_Howe. Thanks, N_P. This is no time for Senior Moments.

Sas, are ye wi' us, man?

In a muddle,

Curmudgeon

Posted by: bmschumacher | August 3, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, maybe you were thinking of Silas Marner?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | August 3, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Or Silas Grand Marnier?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | August 3, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Or Silas, the guy who cuts my lawn . . .

VTY,

Curmudgeon

Posted by: bmschumacher | August 3, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Or Proctor Silas, the guy who made my coffee machine.

Posted by: mdreader01 | August 3, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Well, just as long as he's not a proctologist.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | August 3, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

We may need Proctor Silas, the proctologist, to help us with the Birtherss.

They each probably need a clinical pole removal procedure done and Proctor can do it.

there you have it . . .

Posted by: bmschumacher | August 3, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Looks like I missed quite the afternoon while at my dr's appt. Dr. Hodie, it took 3 people and 5 pokes until they got blood. What's up with that?

Posted by: zn123 | August 3, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Not to encroach on dr. hodie's free Lizard clinic here, but zn123, I think you need a competent phlebotomist! Sheesh!

Posted by: Californian11 | August 3, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse