Posted at 10:10 AM ET, 08/20/2009

VIDEO -- 'Twits': Wisdom from Diddy, LiLo and BrookeHo

By Liz Kelly

I'll spare the preamble because today is all about being a multimedia powerhouse. So, without further ado, I give you "Twits" -- a pilot for what I'm hoping will become a weekly Celebritology feature, in which actors channel the inner voices of celebs as revealed by their Twitter accounts.

Have a watch. All quotes are verbatim:

Like it? Let me know because "Twits" needs feedback. And because in the future I may rely on you to send me celebrity Twitterings worthy of "Twit" dramatization, and may even call on you to sit in front of a camera and channel one of these deep souls. Oh, and please pass on the link to your friends.

A special thank you to actors Rachel Manteuffel and Aidan Hughes, and to Meredith and Austin Bragg, who lent their considerable skills to birthing this pilot.

By Liz Kelly  | August 20, 2009; 10:10 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Twits Video
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Celine Dion Impregnated with Embryo Stored for 8 Years; 'Jon and Kate' Ratings Slide
Next: Michael Jackson Burial Postponed; Reality Show Contestant Charged with Murder

Comments

Please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please continue with this. VERY hilarious!

Posted by: PQSully | August 20, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

...and whatever you do, don't cast Milbank & Cillizza if you want to remain a going concern. Those guys are like the Twin Ted McGinleys of WaPoViDeo.

Posted by: byoolin1 | August 20, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Love it! Talk to your boss about a raise: this is as good as Shatner reciting Palin.

Posted by: northgs | August 20, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Oh, this is MARVELOUS! Keep 'em coming!!!

Posted by: violetsgirl | August 20, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PQSully | August 20, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to add another please, just in case one more would help. twits, indeed!

Posted by: katerwaul | August 20, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

You've raised "cut and paste" to a new artform. Bravo!

Posted by: mdreader01 | August 20, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I nearly jumped out of my seat when Rachel M. yelled "GREAT" for Diddy's tweet. I can't bear to read any tweets, even from Stephen Fry or Gene. But this is sheer brilliance. Please keep them coming! Thanks Liz!

Posted by: iikamo | August 20, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Oh mah Gahd, this is brilliance. it's like Shatner doing "Rocket Man" for the Internet generation.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | August 20, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to nominate Tila Tequila and Courtney Love, their feeds are just overflowing with incoherent observations.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | August 20, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

And Speincer, of course.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | August 20, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Wonderful choice on background music. Enhanced the drama. Hilarious, look forward to more. And thanks for not posting as a You-tube video, which I can't see at work. And have a GREAT day!

Posted by: hodie | August 20, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Luv. Lots. luvlindsey

Posted by: daytripper | August 20, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

i am a fan of "twits" -please keep it coming. just hilarious stuff.

Posted by: wim44 | August 20, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

This is SO DARN FUNNY!! I never imagined I would enjoy the art of banality so much. Please keep 'em coming!!

Posted by: pfallsgirl | August 20, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

One of the funniest things I've seen recently! 'Twits' is perfect; please keep them coming! :D

Posted by: sillygirl2274 | August 20, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

A+

This was a good idea done well!

Posted by: molsonmich | August 20, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

that was fun! more, please.

Posted by: memphis1 | August 20, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Love it! You are destiny to do something GREAT!!!!!

i want ice cream. for my birthday.

Posted by: DCCubefarm | August 20, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

wicked awesome.

Posted by: yumdonuts | August 20, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Are more viewers trying to watch this video than WaPo has capacity for? All I got is a line-drawing of a kidney on a nauseating orange sherbet-color background.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | August 20, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

This is GREAT!!!! Looking forward to future installments!!!!

I want ice cream too!!!!

Posted by: mat00 | August 20, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Funny, but watch out the TWIT (This Week in Tech) army still hasn't gotten over Twitter and now this!

Posted by: Zig3 | August 20, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Nosy, perhaps you are seeing the ad that loads before the video?

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | August 20, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I really liked the super serious method actor approach. (a Twit conversation between two or more celebs/actors would be AWESOME.) The candles/violins were excellent, but I can see them getting a little obnoxious after 5 or so episodes. You may want to have alternative images/music options for future episodes. Other than that little thing, this was awesome. I can't wait to see the next episodes.

And ditto about you deserving a raise.

Posted by: ishkabibbleA | August 20, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

And this is supposed to be so much better than Mouthpiece Theater? Am I correct in recalling that Bill Maher has already done this bit? How long will it take for Ombudsman Andy Alexander to slap your wrist in his blog?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | August 20, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

bawlmer, after the ad all I get is the message "The video you are trying to watch is currently unavailable. Please check back soon."

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | August 20, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Twits or Why Celebrities Desperately Need Publicists.

Posted by: epjd | August 20, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I think it's abundantly clear that everyone wishes they thought of this first.

The over-dramatic music, the candles, and the intensity all add to the weighty atmosphere that these celebrities' 140-character thoughts truly deserve.

I'd like to see this concept make the jump to SNL, but your actors were exceptional. I see a stage show in the making... "The Twitter Monologues," perhaps?

Top summarize: this is the best thing to happen to twitter since it was hacked into oblivion for a nearly 10 glorious hours a few weeks ago. (From Stephen Colbert: "Twitter went down today! If only there were some short, shallow, self-indulgent way to express my horror.")

Posted by: KobayashiMaru | August 20, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Now having a GREAT day!!!!

Posted by: jsk2 | August 20, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Wow. It's this brand of cutting-edge journalism that makes me glad I looked at Washington Post.com today. Not.

Don't you all have something better to do with your time? Or talent?

It wasn't smart and it wasn't funny.

Posted by: MaryFletcherJones | August 20, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Oh, Jeez, Liz - please keep this going! It reminds me again why I don't Twitter (I honestly wouldn't know how to begin) and I assume that even my dearest friends don't care that I've opened another can of Diet Coke.

I've heard so much about Twitter and how stupid it is, but I've never actually read any tweets. This was eye-opening.

Do these "stars" actually think that anyone cares about their vacuous blithering?

LiLo (seriously messed up) Diddy (indisputably the world's biggest egomaniac) and Brooke Hogan (looks like a Barbie doll without the intelligence of Barbie).

So many intelligent people out there who have something of value to contribute to the world, and these morons seriously believe that what they have to say is important?

Who are these people and why would we possibly care what they have to say?

Posted by: jhershelredpuppy1 | August 21, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I didn't get to watch this until today and it was HILARIOUS! I was trying to keep from laughing too hard in my cube, but instead my muffled snickers prompted the lady in the cube next to me to come over and ask if I was okay.

Posted by: SugarMagnolia22 | August 21, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

The guy was the best. He made me laugh. The women, not as much.

Posted by: Roxie1 | August 24, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse