Posted at 8:06 AM ET, 09/ 1/2009

Chris Brown Says He Does Remember Assault

By Liz Kelly

Monday

Headlines: Chris Brown says he misspoke when he told Larry King (above) he doesn't remember Rihanna assault... German broadcaster admits to making Michael Jackson hoax video... Carrie Prejean sues Miss California USA for "religious discrimination"... Paris Hilton cleared to sue Hallmark... Audrina Patridge leaving "The Hills"... Renee Zellweger involved in minor car crash... Heather Mills launches line of recycled clothing... Naomi Campbell reverses her anti-fur stance.

Pix: Jon Gosselin's Las Vegas pool party.

Video: Can you stand five minutes in Miley Cyrus's closet?

Rumor Mill: Sources tell TMZ accidental overdose caused DJ AM's death; crack pipe and pills found in apartment... Rep denies Macaulay Culkin fathered Michael Jackson's son...

Note: Apologies for yesterday's lack of a long post. I was out recovering from a nasty case of food-borne illness. (Or maybe my body finally started rejecting "Jon & Kate" news?) Anyhow, all is well.

By Liz Kelly  | September 1, 2009; 8:06 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DJ AM's Autopsy Inconclusive
Next: Madonna In a League of Her Own?

Comments

"Rep denies Macaulay Culkin fathered Michael Jackson's son..." ---- AAAAAAAA! [slaps both hands against face]

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | September 1, 2009 8:18 AM | Report abuse

I am shocked--shocked that a German would perpetrate a hoax. Anyone remember Klaus "von Bulow"?

I wonder if the Miss California pageant is counter-suing for "airhead." Given the nature of their business, guess not.

"Paris Hilton cleared to sue Hallmark" just says so much about the spirit of our times.

I'm saddened that Audrina Partridge is leaving "the Hills," even tho this blog has given me reason to loathe it without having seen it. The first mention of Audrina had me scouring my memory to recall which member of the Partridge Family she was.

Renee discovered you can't drive and squint at the same time. Sill, I love her dearly for having the cojones not to change her last name for showbiz.

I think both the DJ AM item and the Culkin item (kudos to td) should have been under Crime Watch.

Posted by: reddragon1 | September 1, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Heather Mills launches line of recycled clothing... Is she opening a thrift store or consignment shop?

Posted by: jes11 | September 1, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: reddragon1 | September 1, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Von Bulow was more Danish than German.

Posted by: jezebel3 | September 1, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

reddragon-
I am shocked--shocked that a German would perpetrate a hoax.

I don't know about that, they've been saying for decades that Hasselholf is an actor.

I believe Chris Brown when he says that he does remember what happened that night. It was the time before that, or maybe the one a week earlier that he can't remember. They all sort of blend together at this point. Maybe someone ought to beat in his face and then selectively "not remember".

Maybe Miss California could counter-sue Carrie Prejean to get the implants back under misappropriation of resources.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | September 1, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Correction: Von Bulow is more Danish than German.

Posted by: jezebel3 | September 1, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

So, Chris Brown apologized for something he did not remember doing. Then apologized for saying he didn't remember. At least he figured out the apology part.

What if the apology for the "hoax" is a hoax? They accidently revealed the truth and had to backtrack.

Glad you're better Liz. I'm going with an allergic reaction to all the Jon and Kate news.

Posted by: epjd | September 1, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Paris Hilton sues Hallmark over a caricature - owe, the humanity.

Posted by: northgs | September 1, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Geez Liz, you weren't eating Nestle cookie dough, were you?

Posted by: mdreader01 | September 1, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

What Chris Brown meant was that he doesn't remember *every* Rihanna assault.

The German broadcaster hoax makes me reconsider everything I know about the Germans (which itself was limited to Sideshow Bob's trial, in which a juror said, "Anyone who speaks German can't be bad!").

"Carrie Prejean sues Miss California USA for 'religious discrimination'."
Reached for comment, an official muttered, "J____ C_____," and was immediately sued by Ms. Prejean for trademark infringement.

Audrina Patridge leaving "The Hills"... and the hills are alive with the sound of music once again.

Renee Zellweger involved in minor car crash... and she's the first person featured on the website, "Celebrities Who Look Like Their Cars."

Heather Mills launches line of recycled clothing... I call dibs on the suit she wore to divorce court.

"Naomi Campbell reverses her anti-fur stance." Can a reevaluation of her telephone policies be far behind? Better wear a helmet around her, just in case.

"Can you stand five minutes in Miley Cyrus's closet?" I'm just holding the spot for that 53-year-old guy who *really* wants it.

Posted by: byoolin1 | September 1, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

The Paris Hilton / Hallmark thing just bothers me no end. Because it makes me think of that gold crown on unseemly things. (I'd say more, but then I might lapse into a skanky greeting-card rhyme that would further gross myself out.)

Oh, and Dorkus, loved the Heigl / godmother snark yesterday. Bravo. The Comment of the Week bar is set awfully high.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | September 1, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

I'd be careful if I were you jez. Ve know you haf relatives in der Vaterland. Von Bulow is/was mostly a fraud. then there was that murder thing they framed him for...

If Billy Ray were my dad, I'd spend a lot of time in the closet too.

Posted by: reddragon1 | September 1, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

No cookie dough, MD Reader. I'm thinking it was a questionable bag of baby carrots.

If in doubt, throw it out.

Posted by: Liz Kelly | September 1, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

It's ok, Chris, Larry King has that effect on people.

- John McCain forgot that he voted against Ted Kennedy's health care bill in committee

- FEMA director Michael Brown told Larry King the levees had not been breeched in New Orleans when the day before he told Fox News they had.

- Larry himself forgot which Beatle he was talking about when he referred to George Harrison as Ringo Starr.

Posted by: mdreader01 | September 1, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if Larry King remembers the interview?

Posted by: rashibama | September 1, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Chris - I bet Rhianna remembers the beating.

hmmm....can I stand 5 mins in Miley's closet? She won't be within a 100 mile radius, right? (She has turned into one annoying teenager. Do all teens feel that sense of entitlement, or is there hope for the Little Lurkers?)

Reddragon, I'm with you on Audrina's exit from the Partridge Family. I love reality TV, but that is one show I've never seen except highlights via E!'s "The Soup".
I believe she was Laurie's half-sister by that whiney manager (Mr. Kincaid?).

Posted by: anonymouslurker | September 1, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

if dj am wasn't suffering from post traumatic stress disorder i'll eat my sun hat. ptsd triggers all sorts of problems. was there ever any info out there that either he or travis had any counselling after that plane crash?

Posted by: frieda406 | September 1, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

also, on chris brown, i'm betting his lawyer got ahold of him after that interview aired and told him to clear up the "i don't remember" statement. it could potentially invalidate the plea agreement, etc. chris brown is a fool. a mean, violent fool. just another example of his trying to dodge responsibility. and he still loves her. disgusting. typical of the abuser. "stellaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa".

Posted by: frieda406 | September 1, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I am so glad the John Gosselin kept his shirt on at his pool party. Could you imagine the stretch marks?!

Posted by: MzFitz | September 1, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Glad you're better, Liz.

Crack pipe + pills = accidental overdose? All righty then.

Oo, a Daily Mail UK day! SO bummed to see SJP has the same REALLY bad hair that she sported in the final season and first SATC movie. Hard to believe a movie set with stylists galore can't find deep conditioner and a hairbrush.

Posted by: Californian11 | September 1, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Yo Chris Brown - we remember too. And we won't be forgetting any time soon.

Posted by: jaybbub | September 1, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Exactly what look was Naomi Campbell going for in that fur "advert"? The vibe I get is "Fiddler on the Naked Roof" with Naomi singing, "If I were a b****, man."

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | September 1, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Welcome back Liz! Glad you're feeling better.
But you put your health at risk with the Jon Gosselin pool party pics.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | September 1, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Heather Mills launches line of recycled clothing.

The Stella McCartney line?

Carrie Prejean sues Miss California USA for "religious discrimination."

Did she specify or imply during the pageant that her views were religion-based? Are there no believers in other religions, let alone atheists and agnostics, in California who also favored Prop. 8?

jez
Von Bulow was more Danish than German.
jez
Von Bulow is more Danish than German.

Paging Dr. Freud...

Can you stand five minutes in Miley Cyrus's closet?

So many ways to parse this question. Does "stand" refer to being vertically aligned above one's feet, or the ability to endure? Is the closet literal (i.e., does she have more in her closet than clothing, shoes and haberdashery accessories)? Does she go there to hide from her parents, or do they send her to the closet for punishment when she's been naughty or sassed them back? Or is it a metaphorical closet, in the sense of having secrets? I vote for secrets, but then again I have a blogging pseudonym to live up to.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 1, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Liz, I'm sorry to read re your illness. I know what you mean re baby carrots starting to look a tad hinky after a while. Better to toss 'em into the compost bin from now on. Now just make sure you replenish your electrolytes well.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 1, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps Chris Martin would have better posture if it were Miley Cyrus' closet he were hiding in.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | September 1, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Condolences to our Buckeye Lizards (especially the Cincinnati contingent) on the death of Maestro Erich Kunzel. The rest of us probably remember him best as conductor for many years of the National Symphony's Pops Orchestra at the 4th of July Mall concert (televised live on PBS).

Speaking of Germans, and German, as we are today: I read in an interview that, as a child during WW II in the Queen City, Kunzel and his family were among those targeted by anti-German backlash, even just for having Teutonic accents. My own bilingual German-American grandmother also suffered prejudice from some neighbors during WW I for speaking German with an immigrant family in their neighborhood (not in Cincy, though), so I know what Kunzel meant.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 1, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

My new favorite word: hinky. LOL. Thanks for the laugh, Nosy. I needed it today.

"Clearly Carrie Prejean realized her 15 minutes expired and she didn't get a job on the View so she's throwing herself back into the culture wars to try to seem relevant."

The names Sarah Palin & Carrie Prejean can be used interchangeably above ...

Posted by: Californian11 | September 1, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Californian, I confess that "hinky" is not my coinage. It's courtesy of Ice-T on L&O: SVU.

Re SJP's bad hair: Isn't/Wasn't she long a spokesperson for a certain line of hair-care products?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 1, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Nosy, I believe that "The Fugitive" beat SVU to it (I love Tommy Lee Jones):

Marshal Biggs: This is hinky, this guy's a college graduate, he went to medical school, he's not gonna come through all the security, go to the county lockup, to find someone his one people say does not exist. Hinky.

Deputy Marshal Samuel Gerard: Well, what does that mean Biggs, 'hinky'?

Marshal Biggs: I don't know. Strange.

Marshal Henry: Weird.

Deputy Marshal Samuel Gerard: Well, why don't you say strange or weird? I mean hinky, that has no meaning.

Marshal Biggs: Well, we say hinky.

Deputy Marshal Samuel Gerard: I don't want you guys using words around me that have no meaning. I'm taking the stairs and walking.

Marshal Biggs: [sotto voice] How about 'bulls**t?' How about 'bulls**t', Sam?

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | September 1, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

You make an excellent point, Californian re Palin/Prejean. Death panels and religious paranoia, hi ho, hi ho!

Nosy, we have some pretty strong winds from the east today and it has blown all the smoke from the fire right into the basin. It is miserable to breathe outside and visibility is about three miles before the city disappears from view. It's kind of eerie.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | September 1, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frieda406 | September 1, 2009 12:45 PM
======================
Crack pipe + pills = accidental overdose? All righty then.

Posted by: Californian11 | September 1, 2009 1:17 PM
======================
Perhaps it's PTSD + Drug Addition = Death by drug overdose.

I'm with you, Californian. You'd think that after one stint in rehab, he would have clearly understood that for him, taking drugs was a death sentance. As a recovering addict, I'm sure he was in no shape to cope with the trauma of a fatal plane crash.

Posted by: mdreader01 | September 1, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Cat, please take care and just stay in doors and breathe easy till this passes. Hope it won't be much longer.

Great job on "The Fugitive" reference!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 1, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

While still on the weather beat... Frieda, I heard on the news that it's been about 10°F above normal in Phoenix these days. I'd think that even seasonal "normal" thereabouts is pretty hot, so can't imagine +10. So please don't eat your sunhat in any event, because clearly you really need it.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 1, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I love "The Fugitive"--had a ball going through the "memorable quotes" on IMDB to get that one.

Didn't DJ AM suffer from bad burns in the plane crash? If so, I imagine he spent some time on serious pain medication, which is a big problem for a former addict. They say MJ's drug problems started after his scalp got burned in that Pepsi commercial.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | September 1, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I didn't realize that about DJ AM. If that's the case, it would have been easy for him to be addicted to painkillers and have PTSD. How sad. Mea culpa.

"Eerie" is exactly the way to describe it, cat. During the fires here in 2007, it felt very eerie; the color of the sky, the soot, ash and smoke, the winds, nobody out and about, etc. Stay safe.

Why yes, Nosy, now that you mention it, SJP was a spokesmodel for hair-care products. Her hair looked great (shiny and brushed) in those ads, as well as in the first 5 seasons of SATC and when she dyed it brown in the movie.

Posted by: Californian11 | September 1, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Found this: "Goldstein had been prescribed medication for pain and post traumatic stress after surviving the Learjet crash with friend and fellow musician Travis Barker in September 2008. "He struggled with pain after the crash," a close friend of Goldstein told E! News Friday. "But it seemed like he was functioning fine and never missed work."

The crash reports say he had burns on his head and hands and was initially listed in critical condition. So there's that mystery solved. Poor guy.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | September 1, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

I give Chris Brown credit for "manning up" and talking to Larry King. I give his mother, Joyce Hawkins, credit for standing by her child's side -- through whatever. But what could have -- and should have been -- an opportunity to re-open the dialogue about domestic violence and the perpetuation of it from generation to generation was sadly missed. I was absolutely shocked to hear Ms. Hawkins say that although her son had witnessed -- on numerous occasions -- domestic violence perpetrated against her, that exposure had nothing to do with his attack on Rihanna. How could she so completely miss the boat on this? To say that Chris' behavior on this particular occasion was an aberration would mean that she either condoned past glimpses of such behavior, dismissed the gravity of such behavior, or was completely unaware of what went on in his life -- period. Since Chris has become the "poster boy for domestic violence", why not use this label for good by being a leader in the fight against it?

Posted by: Tootsumi | September 3, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse