Posted at 10:42 AM ET, 09/30/2009

Comment Box: Stylists for Male Celebs?

By Liz Kelly

Do 'A Steady Rain' co-stars Daniel Craig and Hugh Jackman dress themselves? (AP)
Comment Box

Female celebrities of a certain rank have stylists, but what about guys? Is there someone who tells George Clooney to wear only black, white and gray? -- From last week's Celebritology Live submissions

Both male and female celebs get beaucoup help with their look when it comes to magazine spreads and other promotional photo ops, but outside of photo shoots it's difficult to say. But yes, some of Hollywood's best-dressed men get just as much help as their distaff counterparts. Especially when it comes to red carpet events -- think movie premieres or the Oscars.

Just because you don't see Daniel Craig or George Clooney turning up on Rachel Zoe's reality show, a la Liv Tyler or Jennifer Garner, that doesn't mean they aren't getting a little wardrobe help, too. I mean, look what happens when they dress themselves: Exhibit A | Exhibit B.

In a brief Twitterview, I asked uber-stylist Stacy London, of TLC's "What Not to Wear" if male celebs use stylists. Her answer: "ABSOLUTELY, though I doubt most would own up to it!"

So there you have it. Yes, but male celebrity styling remains an industry well-cloaked in mystery.

-------

Comment of the Week?
"I slept with John Philips: Souza. While he was composing the Washington Post march." -- From last week's Celebritology Live chat submissions.

Submit your questions now for Thursday's Celebritology Live discussion.

By Liz Kelly  | September 30, 2009; 10:42 AM ET
Categories:  Comment Box, Fashion
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: TLC Drops Jon Gosselin from Show Title; Tori Spelling Hospitalized
Next: Dennis Hopper Hospitalized; Timberlake and Biel -- On or Off?

Comments

Anyone who watched Brad Pitt's hair and wardrobe change to mirror his girlfriend's each time he dated someone new knows he had "help" (depends on your view of that behavior) creating his look.

But I'd be willing to bet most guys just throw on a suit and call it a day. How hard is it to put on a basic black tux for a red-carpet event?

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | September 30, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

You would be suprised, td. I am the stylist for three men in my life. Just last night I had to help my son pick out his outfit for this weekend's Homecoming dance. He wanted my help in coordinating with his date, who is wearing pink, but he didn't want to look gay ( not that there is anything wrong with that).

Posted by: hodie | September 30, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

If Daniel Craig has a stylist, I wish s/he would tell him to lose that mustache.

Posted by: themegnapkin | September 30, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Men have it so much easier. They shower and throw on a tux -- all ready to go. Women have to find the perfect dress (some don't do so well in that department), hair, makeup, jewelry. We are talking hours of prep time.

Of course, some guys can't even handle the basic idea of a tux. Really guys? You have ONE choice of outfit and you can't figure it out?

Posted by: epjd | September 30, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

This pains me to say, but after seeing that pic of Jackman and Craig, well, those gay rumors don't seem so rumory after all.

Posted by: jelo97 | September 30, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Craig's mustache is for 'A Steady Rain' where he plays an Irish cop with a drinking problem. No stereotypes there. Here is my (rather grainy) picture of the broomstache:

Posted by: yellojkt | September 30, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I think most men, celebrities or not, have help, and that unsung hero is their significant other (or mom, as Hodie said). Goodness knows my father couldn't dress himself for anything more formal than yard work; my mother had a nearly full-time job getting him out the door in coordinated businesswear.

Posted by: northgs | September 30, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

The Costume Director on "Mad Men" said that the early 60's were sort of a last hurrah for suits and uniforms. It is clear to me that ever since, we deteriorated into slobs.

Posted by: mdreader01 | September 30, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

All hope for civilization disappeared when young men and boys started wearing "gangsta" jeans in public. Never mind the celebs who can't dress for the red carpet. Let us be thankful they bothered to dress at all. In Exhibit B at least Rourke is wearing something, however tacky.

Posted by: reddragon1 | September 30, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I hope Daniel Craig's role ends soon, b/c that 'stache is fuh-uh-ugly.

I also second jelo's comment. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

The fugliest thing about Mickey Rourke's outfit in Ex. B is his hand in his pants. Ew.

Posted by: Californian11 | September 30, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jelo97 | September 30, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

LOL! It's not Jackman and Craig. Their sylists are gay, gay, gay.

Posted by: jezebel3 | September 30, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Correction:
LOL! It's not Jackman and Craig. Their stylists are gay, gay, gay.

Posted by: jezebel3 | September 30, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Correction:
LOL! It's not Jackman and Craig. Their stylists are gay, gay, gay.

Posted by: jezebel3 |
-------------------------------------
Glad you cleared that up. It's a shame they are taking work away from all those top straight male stylists.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 30, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: yellojkt | September 30, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Yup. Could Craig and Jackman look any gayer?

Posted by: jezebel3 | September 30, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Yup. Could Craig and Jackman look any gayer?

Posted by: jezebel3

*******************************************

Well, they could be making out...

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | September 30, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Yup. Could Craig and Jackman look any gayer?

Posted by: jezebel3

*******************************************

Well, they could be making out...

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1

*******************************************
Oooh! That might be kinda hot, 'cept for the fact that it would force me to find new "movie husbands" to drool over. Thank goodness I have Jon Hamm as my "tv husband" to fill in the gaps.

Posted by: jelo97 | September 30, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Cal11, Whose pants should Rourke have his hand in? See above.

Posted by: reddragon1 | September 30, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I recall some years ago when tall-drink-o'-water Craig T. Nelson came on stage to accept the lead-actor Emmy for "Coach" he rocked a black frock-coat like no one since Johnny Cash in his prime (would definitely NOT work on Wee Tom, though).

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 30, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse