Posted at 10:45 AM ET, 09/ 3/2009

Creative Captioning: A Piven Worth a Thousand Words

By Liz Kelly

(Reuters)

One group of tennis fans zoomed in on the off-court action at Wednesday's U.S. Open night session, snapping a pic of Mr. Personality, Jeremy Piven (you know, this guy), in the stands. But what's the subtext? Why are those girls so excited about seeing Piven? And why does he look like he just woke from a sushi-induced coma? What goes on here?

You tell me. Share your suggested captions -- be they descriptive, dialogue, abstract -- below. The top few will be elevated to a place of prominence here in the blahg.

Have at it...

By Liz Kelly  | September 3, 2009; 10:45 AM ET
Categories:  Creative Captioning
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jon Gosselin Says He 'Took a Lot of Abuse'; Chris Brown to Clean Up Graffiti
Next: Michael Jackson Laid to Rest; Oprah Tells Chris Brown to Get Help

Comments

Piven: "wait, where did you say that sushi place was again?"

Posted by: Osteph | September 3, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

"Come-on Jeremy! Say "sashimi" and smile!"

Posted by: hodie | September 3, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Wasabi OD?

Posted by: kabuki3 | September 3, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

My new iPod app measures how much metal you have in your bloodstream, then lets you compare it with all your Facebook friends. Wow! Your score beat everyone else's!

Posted by: mdreader01 | September 3, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I never had to put up with this sh!t when I was on Ellen.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | September 3, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

I'm too exhausted to pretend to care. DAMN YOU SUSHI! DAMN YOU TO HELL!

Posted by: zonkerscm | September 3, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I don't have anything that can touch whatever else has been offered. However, I did see some coverage yesterday. The camera had panned to the guy to JP's upper left shoulder, and the announcers were talking about that guy (who's name I cannot recall), and then as an afterthought mentioned JP.

I thought it was pretty funny.

You would think that JP could at least ACT like he was thrilled he had fans. You know, considering ACTING is his job.....

Posted by: anonymouslurker | September 3, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Oooh, I'm gonna swim against the tide on this one, even though I'm not a fan (or non-fan) of Jeremy Piven's.

I call Piven being a nice guy here, sitting in the stands (instead of some luxury box, safe from hoi polloi) and cooperating in letting his picture be snapped by fans.

As for the slightly squeamish look on his face at that moment, well who HASN'T ever had a picture taken where they looked at least twice as goofy? I know I sure have (and there's even one out there on the Internets and, no, I won't share its URL with anyone).

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 3, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

God, I look old. And where did I get this crappy haircut?

Posted by: jlc9j | September 3, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

"Does the red-eye reduction on that camera take care of coke-fueled fatigue as well?"

Posted by: yellojkt | September 3, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

"Debbie, look! It's that guy on HBO. Right. Behind. Us OMG! I gotta get a picture of that rug he's wearing. Your iPhone's got a camera right? Hey, Ari! I mean, er, heeheehee, Jeremy! Can we be in your -- heehee - entourage? SMILE!" [click]

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | September 3, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Tennis fans photograph Toby Maguire and John Gosselin; later discover it was just 2 random guys.

Posted by: molsonmich | September 3, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Jeremy Piven takes a picture with the entire opening weekend audience of The Goods.

Posted by: chibbs2000 | September 3, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

It was somewhere around the fifth game in the third set when the drugs began to take hold

Posted by: TMiami | September 3, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Jeremy, don't look so worried, cameras can only steal your soul if you have one in the first place.

Posted by: MStreet1 | September 3, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

"I can't believe they asked me if I was Larry David."

"Where will you be when the drugs wear off?"

Posted by: memphis1 | September 3, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

"Quick girls...huddle up for a quick photo before this creepy guy leans into it!"

Posted by: jcm4 | September 3, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

"Cusack's over there in the good seats. Maybe if I wave, he'll let me come over."

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | September 3, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

excellent snark re Cusack, td!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 3, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Ok, on three smile and say "Chunky Monkey"!

Posted by: caroleg1 | September 3, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

"Hey Piven! Jim Trafficant called, he's out of prison and he wants his rug back."

Posted by: tell77 | September 3, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Well, I personally think Jeremy Piven is a very nice guy. He could be sitting far away in the luxury boxes but he has chosen to sit with the real tennis fans and allow them to take his picture. Not all celebrities do that.

Also, a couple of years ago, I met Piven and Adrian Grenier at the Cannes Film Festival when my niece and I were in the South of France on vacation. (They were filming segments of "Entourage.) I spotted him as he was walking back to his trailer and called his name. He walked back, smiling, and asked one of the production people to take our picture. We chatted and laughed and he was fun. I think he's a nice guy and I've defended him a lot over the past couple of years. I think it's unfair to base your feelings about a celebrity on what you see/hear in the rag mags and I'm really tired of people putting him down and making fun of him about the mercury thing. Evidently, the mediator believed his story.

Sorry. Rant over!!!

Posted by: elewis29 | September 3, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

"Levi Johnston (L) and Jeremy Piven (R) are chagrined to learn the dweeb seated in front of them is sitting with three cute girls while they're stuck with each other."

Posted by: byoolin1 | September 3, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

"Does this rug make me look fat?"

Posted by: Californian11 | September 3, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Jeremy Piven just realized someone took his picture while attmpting a power dump in the cheap seats.

Posted by: RightWinger1 | September 4, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse