Posted at 7:46 AM ET, 09/10/2009

Ellen Heads to 'Idol'; Nicole Richie Gives Birth to Sparrow

By Liz Kelly
Wednesday

Headlines: Ellen DeGeneres taking over Paula Abdul's "Idol" seat... Nicole Richie gives birth to son Sparrow James Midnight Madden... Katherine Heigl adopting baby girl from Korea... Robert De Niro, Bruce Springsteen and Mel Brooks among Kennedy Center honorees... Ungaro hires Lindsay Lohan as fashion advisor... Tyra Banks launches "magaline"... Susan Boyle to make "America's Got Talent" appearance... Kate Moss storms out of GQ Awards... Kathy Griffin got plastic surgery to look like Jennifer Aniston... Meanwhile, Aniston denies being a "lonely girl"... Hugh Hefner files for divorce... "Fantastic Four's" Ioan Gruffudd welcomes baby girl.

Pix: Kim Cattrall channels '80s punk princess for "Sex and the City" sequel... LeAnn Rimes and Eddie Cibrian in Mexico.

Video: Lady GaGa electrocuted during show -- um, not really. (Safe for work, but very annoying.):

Rumor Mill: Casey Wilson fired from "SNL" for failing to lose weight?... Jessica Simpson and John Mayer back together?... Viggo Mortensen to quit acting?... Liza Minnelli and Miley Cyrus set for "Sex and the City" sequel cameos?

Say What?
"I grew up believing my sister was from the planet Neptune and had been sent down to Earth to kill me." -- Zooey Deschanel

Tweeted:
"Only criminals make up as much excuses as they can to cover up their crime. I dont need to do that because I am not the criminal. Done." -- Part of an ongoing rant posted by Tila Tequila, who earlier this week accused boyfriend Shawne Merriman of domestic assault.

Just Because: 9 Spiders Named After Celebrities

Chat Day: Join me at 2 p.m. ET for this week's edition of Celebritology Live. Then, stick around for The "Lost" Hour at 3 p.m. ET.

By Liz Kelly  | September 10, 2009; 7:46 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: George Clooney, Boldly Going Where He's Gone Before?
Next: VIDEO -- Twits: Tila Tequila, Courtney Love, Jessica Simpson

Comments

I love Ellen....on Ellen. Her guest judge spot on SYTYCD this summer was a joke. Just there for the funny, but offered nothing of value to the contestants. I worry that Idol will become even more about the judges, and less about the Idolettes, and the arrow was already pointing too far in the direction of the judges the past few years. That's really unfortunate. She's supposed to represent the fan? If that was needed, where was it for the last 8 years? Idol=Fail.

Posted by: jljardon2 | September 10, 2009 8:13 AM | Report abuse

"Katherine Heigl adopting baby girl from Korea" - any word on whether or not she's already pre-declined any 'mom of the year' nominations?

Robert De Niro, Bruce Springsteen and Mel Brooks walk into a bar...

Two sentences you'll be hearing together a lot in the days to come:
1 - "Kathy Griffin got plastic surgery to look like Jennifer Aniston."
2 - "Missed it by *that* much, Chief."

Er, Kim Cattrall channels in-her-80s punk princess, more like.

Casey Wilson probably misunderstood the reason for her firing. Unless "failing to lose weight" is a new euphemism for "not beig very funny."

Ideal role for Liza Minnelli on SATC: Kim Cattrall's twin sister.

"Not News: Rosie O'Donnell and Star Jones not headed for joint reality TV project." Every once in a while, reality wins one.

Posted by: byoolin1 | September 10, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Nicole Richie gives birth to son Sparrow James Midnight Madden.

I hope they just call him "Jim." If he'd been born at midday, would his third name have been Noon?

Casey Wilson fired from "SNL" for failing to lose weight?

Undoubtedly. SNL has always been a male chauvinist show.

Miley Cyrus set for "Sex and the City" sequel cameo?

As what? A cracker who comes to town?

Hugh Hefner files for divorce.

Gonna trade her in for a younger model, Hughie?

9 Spiders Named After Celebrities.

Bringing new meaning to the film "Arachnophobia"?

Katherine Heigl adopting baby girl from Korea.

I'm actually feeling a bit bad for all that snark heaped on her for taking some time off from "Grey's." Guess she didn't know in advance exactly what date the baby was coming.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 10, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Liz, I wish you'd also headlined the other two KenCen honorees, jazz legend Dave Brubeck and opera diva Grace Bumbry.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 10, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Seriously, there needs to be some protection for children from beng adopted by stars just to rehab their images. I propose an international treaty or at least an amendment to the Rights of the Child one.

All comments on the name of Nicole Ritchie's new baby boy have already been made by others and better than anything I could come up with.

Zooey, I thought the exact same thing.

Posted by: epjd | September 10, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Odd, I would've figured Zooey to be the alien.

Any bets on whether that kid is secretly wishing she had been adopted by Kim Jong Il instead?

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | September 10, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

as much as I hate to defend Heigl, the article says her sister was adopted from Korea and she wanted to follow in that tradition, so I don't think this counts as baby collecting.

Posted by: mcleve | September 10, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Ellen- YAY!!

Sparrow? No.

Heigl-- ugh. "Seriously, there needs to be some protection for children from beng adopted by stars just to rehab their images" I'm on board with that, epjd.

Posted by: Guest1234 | September 10, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

---------------------------------------
Zooey, you're off by one planet.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | September 10, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Kim Cattrall channels '80s punk princess for "Sex and the City"

80s punk princess = Times Square hooker?

Or did Kim get her clothes from the 1970 Tina Turner Consignment Shop?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | September 10, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Kate Moss looks awful. Kate, meet Amy. Perhaps you can be roomies in rehab?

Kim Cattrell - what byoolin said, yikes, you are way too old to dress like that. Movie people, there is not enough make up in this world to make this lady look that young - please make a note of it.

Nicole - I like the name Sparrow. It's unusual without being outlandish (Pilot Inspektor is outlandish). Congrats on your baby boy!

Posted by: VaLGaL | September 10, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

From the Kathy Griffin cosmetic surgery link:

"The Emmy-winning Bravo reality star - who got her first nose job at 26 - said she spent years wishing she could change her appearance."

Kathy, I can make you wishes come true. I have an abundant supply of kraft paper grocery bags from Whole Foods. They come with handles for easy on/off. I'll even spot you a pair of scissors so that you can cut holes for your eyes and mouth. No hole for the nose. That's what's called a grocery bag nose job.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | September 10, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Sparrow......this opens up a realm of possibilities for potential siblings:

Mylittle Chickadee Madden
Counting Crows Madden
Blackbird Singing IntheDeadof Night Madden
Bluebird of Happiness Madden
BeepBeep Roadrunner Madden
Atticus Gold Finch Madden
Looney Tunes Madden
Tweety Bird Madden
Giant Hornbill Madden
Bird of Paradise Madden
Little Red Rooster Madden
Daffy Duck Madden

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | September 10, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Props to Nicole Ritchie and Joel Madden for consistency, at least: both kids have some seriously gender-bending names - daughter Harlow and son Sparrow. Wow.

Posted by: northgs | September 10, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Sas, the Unknown Comic has the trade rights to that costume.

Posted by: byoolin1 | September 10, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Sas, will Kathy Griffin be Giant Hornbill Madden's godmother?

Posted by: northgs | September 10, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

sas & byoolin, I thought that costume belonged to the Unknown Sports Fan (perhaps a Washington Nationals fan?).

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 10, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

northgs, I believe Harlow Madden is named after '30s film star Jean Harlow.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 10, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

This is the most normal thing I've heard a celeb say ever.

Love the celeb spiders!

Should have listened to you Liz, that video was uber annoying!

Posted by: hodie2 | September 10, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Bird of Paradise Madden.

May he fly up Kathy Griffin's nose?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 10, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Sparrow? Really? Isn't that just another name for "beat me up on the playground"?

Posted by: jaybbub | September 10, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher Madden
Coot Madden
Old Squaw Madden
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker Madden
Woody Woodpecker Madden
Kentucky Warbler Madden
Blue Footed Booby Madden
King Penguin Madden

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | September 10, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Polly Wannacracker Madden

Posted by: kirstenpaulson | September 10, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Why not Robin Madden? If that's not weird enough for you then Robin Red Breast Madden.

Posted by: hodie2 | September 10, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I plugged my name into the Nicole Richie/Joel Madden name generator and it came up with this:

Sandpiper Jerome Afternoon Ditka

"Tyra Banks is launching a 'magaline.'" Tyra, it's called a BLOG.

Tyra's BL...aline...thingy has a manifesto. In part

- To celebrate uniqueness
- To know when to cut hair
- To seek beauty in everything
- To know how to beat our own face.
- To know that every hallway is a runway.
- To know how to do a smokey eye.
- To know how to beat our own face.

I'm wondering if Chris Brown contributed this manifesto.

Posted by: mdreader01 | September 10, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

My editor is off in Cancun. There should only be one "-To know how to beat our own face." on that list.

Posted by: mdreader01 | September 10, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Heigl says of her adopted Korean daughter, "I am naming her after my mother and sister Nancy, Leigh," she said. "So we call her Naleigh."

Does that rhyme with Raleigh?

Anyway, she missed her chance to use the Nicole Richie/Joel Madden Baby Name Generator. Imagine the possibilities that could been ahead for

Nukupuu Jules Twilight Parseghian

Posted by: mdreader01 | September 10, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VaLGaL | September 10, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Sparrow is gay, gay, gay, gay. Good luck to that kid on the playground.

Posted by: jezebel3 | September 10, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hodie2 | September 10, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Cock Robin Madden.

Posted by: jezebel3 | September 10, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Count me in with the "this name will get you beat up" crowd. I get the spirit of it, but sparrows are just so dang common. Why not a bird-of-prey name like Hawk, or Falcon? Even Kingfisher would have been better. Oh well, at least they didn't name him Chickadee.

Posted by: jelo97 | September 10, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Magnificent Frigatebird Madden

Sparrow would have been cute for a girl, but for a BOY?!? No. Just. No. The kids on the playground will never run out of ammunition, although I doubt they can top "Blue-footed Booby Madden".

Memo to Kathy Griffin: If you're trying to look like Jen, you may want to ask for a refund. Sadly, she looked better before all the plastic surgery. As did the caricature that Janice Dickinson has become. I honestly did not even recognize the "before" picture as the same person.

Posted by: Californian11 | September 10, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

northgs, I believe Harlow Madden is named after '30s film star Jean Harlow.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 10, 2009 10:30 AM

Nosy, I'm sure you're right, and Jean Harlow was a beautiful woman, but Harlow sounds like a masculine name to me. Probably because my grandfathers were Harley and Harlan, but there you go.

Unless they were naming here for "Harlow, Jean / picture of a beauty queen" and didn't recognize the importance of the comma.

Posted by: northgs | September 10, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Californian, did you catch DeLane Matthews' great send-up of over-surgeried faces/bods on the recent re-run of "Castle"? I assume this was achieved with special effects, and does not reflect Matthews' actual appearance.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 10, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

it's Blue-Footed Boobie.

(and that's payback for beating me to it.)

K. Heigel's announcement puts me in mind of Dr. Ian Malcolm's statement in one of the jurassic park movies...

"Oh, yeah. Oooh, ahhh, that's how it always starts. Then later there's running and screaming"

Posted by: memphis1 | September 10, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

That's in reference to what an annoying mom i expect her to be and not to her future child.

Posted by: memphis1 | September 10, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Well, I guess I have to be the odd Lizard out on this one. I went to school with a boy named "Merlin" - that's a kind of falcon as well as a well-known wizard. This kid was, to put it mildly, odd. But he was never teased about his name and this was in one of the most backward small towns you could possibly imagine - I seriously doubt that Sparrow Madden will ever hear one word about his name while attending elementary school with Apple and Pilot and whomever else...If he was in Ohio, maybe, but not in Hollywood.

Posted by: VaLGaL | September 10, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

VaLGaL, I suspect "Merlin" didn't do a certain LA Ram defensive lineman-turned-actor any harm as a child.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 10, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I can see why Merlin didn't get teased, but what if his parents had named him Wizard instead? To me, that's the equivalent of Sparrow. Or Satchel. Or Apple, Pilot Inspektor, Prince, Dweezil, Soleil Moon Frye, Bluebell, Bronx Mowgli, et al.

Wonder if the courts will be clogged with name-change petitions once these kids reach the age of consent.

Nosy, I didn't catch that show but I'm sure I would have loved it!! :-)

Posted by: Californian11 | September 10, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Satchel didn't see to harm Mr. Paige, although I wonder about latter-day bearers of the name.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 10, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Californian, perhaps the Lizard ISland Glee Club might like to break into a rendition of Shel Silverstein's classic "A Boy Named Sue" as Tiki Bar entertainment later this afternoon.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 10, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

If the latest Madden grows up to be a smoker, he could change his name to Puffin Madden. Good thing he wasn't named Mouring Dove Madden, because you know what song the kids would sing the first time they made him cry....

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | September 10, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of "Glee," did anyone else catch last night's epi? Hi-freakin'-larious performance by the Glee Club of a most improbable song!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 10, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 10, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I had a "heavy" date last night. Nooo TV.

Posted by: jezebel3 | September 10, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

one wonders if the "Sparrow" is a nod to Jack Sparrow? This kid may be destined for fey eyeliner wearing modern piracy as a career...

Posted by: LTL1 | September 10, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm having far too much fun w/ this.

Bufflehead Madden
Darwin's Rhea Madden
Short-legged Ground-roller Madden
Black-throated Huet-huet Madden
Wandering Tattler Madden
Wompoo Pigeon Madden
Noisy pitta Madden

And my personal fave, Fluffy-backed Tit Babbler Madden.

Posted by: Californian11 | September 10, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LTL1 | September 10, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Could be. What about Midnight?

Posted by: jezebel3 | September 10, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Could be. What about Midnight?

Posted by: jezebel3 |

----------------------------------------
To paraphrase J.J. Cale,
After Midnight, he's gonna let it all hang out.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | September 10, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

What about Bald Eagle Midnight Madden....a truly all-American boy....

Posted by: irishone | September 10, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Could be. What about Midnight?

Posted by: jezebel3 |

----------------------------------------
To paraphrase J.J. Cale,
After Midnight, he's gonna let it all hang out.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | September 10, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Ha, ha.

Posted by: jezebel3 | September 10, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Piping Plover Lunchtime Madden?

Posted by: newengland1 | September 10, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinkin'

Peacock Albatross Madden (PAM for short)

Posted by: dacbf | September 10, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

For Hispanophones:

Dusk Alcatraz Madden Night (imagine the monogram)

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 10, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Goatsucker Dusk Madden
Curlew Afternoon Madden
King Eider Madden
Passenger Pigeon PM Madden
Dodo Midday Madden
Turkey Vulture Madden
Rhode Island Red Madden
Catbird Seat Madden

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | September 10, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

I had a "heavy" date last night. Nooo TV.

Posted by: jezebel3

------------------------------------------
Is your face still hurting from all that weight?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | September 10, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Wyandotte Madden
Silkie Bantam Madden
Foghorn Leghorn Madden
Dorking Madden
Cornish Game Hen Madden

You just had to start with the chickens, didn'tcha Sas?

Posted by: Californian11 | September 10, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse