Posted at 10:55 AM ET, 09/ 9/2009

George Clooney, Boldly Going Where He's Gone Before?

By Liz Kelly

Clooney and new love Elisabetta Canalis Tuesday in Venice. (Getty Images)

George Clooney, we've got your number.

This morning the net is awash in pix of you and your new girl, Elisabetta Canalis, stepping out at the Venice film festival. Your willingness to escort her on to a red carpet is, of course, taken as tacit admission that this is a "real" relationship and not yet another Como summer fling. But, George, the whole Venice thing is a little stale.

It was only two years ago that you led a different woman -- 28-year-old cocktail waitress/reality show contestant Sarah Larson -- on to the same exact carpet to the same exact effect.

Clooney and Sarah Larson at the 2008 Academy Awards. (AP)

I'm not saying that you've got some kind of ritualistic courting thing going on or even that you could mayhaps jinx your blossoming relationship with Canalis. But if we next hear that the two of you were involved in a motorcycle accident, I'm going to be a teensy bit worried.

And, personal to Elisabetta: Keep a lid on any engagement talk, it tends to make our boy a bit skittish.

All the Girls He's Loved Before: In the past, Clooney has been linked to a veritable chorus line of women. Just a few:

2007 - 2008: Photogenic cocktail waitress Sarah Larson.

2000 - 2005 (intermittent): British reality show fixture Lisa Snowdon.

1996 - 1999: Law student Celine Balitran.

1989: Clooney married actress (and current "Mad Men" supporting cast member) Talia Balsam, but the couple split after three years.

By Liz Kelly  | September 9, 2009; 10:55 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tyra Unveils Her Real Hair; Clooney Steps Out with New Girlfriend
Next: Ellen Heads to 'Idol'; Nicole Richie Gives Birth to Sparrow

Comments

What ? Kate Gosselin's not on the list?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | September 9, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I've always wondered about George and Steven Soderbergh.

Posted by: northgs | September 9, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

In future installments this article could say, but probably won't, "Clooney steps out onto the red carpet with librarian and Celebritology commenter, jelo."

Posted by: jelo97 | September 9, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Sas, Kate Gosselin doesn't have long wavy brown hair. Not that I'm seeing a trend or anything.

Well, to Mr. Clooney's credit, he seems to be able to stay friends with most if not all of his exes. It does seem like he's got a contract with a cloning company somewhere though...

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | September 9, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Don't forget to add Krista Allen to that list. She always seems to be waiting in the wings.

Posted by: StuckatWork | September 9, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

and the following week " Clooney dumps a tearful Jelo amidst rumors of a homewrecking scandal with Lizard Island's Dr. Hodie. The next Brangelina?"

I've already decided our couple name will be Cloodie. (Sorry jelo)

Posted by: hodie | September 9, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

"Cloodie"

Hahaha, very nice. (I'm partial to Clawmer myself...and I'd also like a puppy and a comfortable inheritance, as long as I'm dreaming.)

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | September 9, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

"Clooney is also rumored to have romanced Kelly Preston, Renee Zellweger, Teri Hatcher, Ellen Barkin, Lucy Liu, Salma Hayek and Julia Roberts."

That is some wicked hot tub party.

(Er, sorry. It's the earlier Kate/Playboy reference; my mind wandered....)

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | September 9, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

That is some wicked hot tub party.

(Er, sorry. It's the earlier Kate/Playboy reference; my mind wandered....)

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | September 9, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Wow! Playing the field after your first marriage tanks really has its perks!

Posted by: jezebel3 | September 9, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Maybe George would like to play the narcissism card and get involved with someone whose hair color matches his own, for a change. How about Clarker? Closy? (Oh, nix on the latter, it sounds a tad pervy.)

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 9, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I've already decided our couple name will be Cloodie. (Sorry jelo)

Posted by: hodie | September 9, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse
---------------------------------
jelo, in a fit of despair at no longer being part of the couple Jelooney, stalks Cloodie at the Italian villa and throws banana peels in front of every passing scooter, hoping for an unfortunate accident.

Posted by: jelo97 | September 9, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

"with someone whose hair color matches his own, for a change.
Posted by: Nosy_Parker"

...Mom?

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | September 9, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if he's any good in the sack.

Any readers care to share?

Posted by: chunche | September 9, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Ooh, that hurts, Bawlmer...

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 9, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Hey George, I'd be willing to learn Italian (always knew my high school Latin would come in handy for something!)

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 9, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

"Clony" wouldn't require as much spelling change.

Says the poster formerly known as epony.

We've seen enough girlfriends of George that we could probably create the next one for him out of spare parts. Maybe there's a Lizard Island cottage industry in the offing.

George looks like he's had some work done in the last year or two. We would need an exhaustive photo study to be certain, though.

Posted by: trichobezoar | September 9, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, Nosy, just kidding with ya. (I was assuming you were referring to Mr. Clooney's silvery mane when you spoke of hair color.)

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | September 9, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Re silvery mane: Jamie Lee Curtis is my idol!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 9, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if he's any good in the sack.
Any readers care to share?
Posted by: chunche
**********

yep, he was in this very vivid dream I had once. I had the same kind of dream about Daniel Craig. I've been in long term relationships with each (in my dreams, really. I think it was a side effect of meds.)

Posted by: anonymouslurker | September 9, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

anonymous lurker: I think it was a side effect of meds.

I'll have what she's having.

Posted by: hodie | September 9, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Good for George. For living life to the fullest, keeping his sense of humor, and as far as we can tell, being safe (no pregnancies or diseases). Also, good for him for not getting married and divorced every other day like most silly celebs. I admire him. He's a modern-day Warren Beatty, and let's hope he's as smart. Warren didn't get married until he was darned good and ready, and had slept with everyone he wanted to (also safely, as far as we know, which is a big bonus).

Climbing off soapbox now.

Posted by: Californian11 | September 9, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Clooneybel.

Posted by: jezebel3 | September 9, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Seconded, Californian11!

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | September 9, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

wonder if he's any good in the sack.
Any readers care to share?

Posted by: chunche | September 9, 2009 12:50 PM
===============
I haven't gotten close enough to throw my sack over him to find out. If I'm ever successful, you'll be reading about it in the papers.

Posted by: mdreader01 | September 9, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Liz asked a question. We should answer questions that Liz asks of us, lest she feel irrelavant.

This is not a forum for our idle fantasies.

The answer, Liz, is no. George Clooney is now forced to outsource his dalliances to Italy.

Mel Gibson is outsourcing to Russia.

This is a disturbing trend brought on by
John Mayer and the resurrected Mickey Rourke scarfing up all the hot, young American babes. And now that Jon Gosslin's loose, he's scarfing up the dumb ones. There's nothing left for George and Mel, stateside.

Posted by: mdreader01 | September 9, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if he's any good in the sack.

Any readers care to share?

Posted by: chunche

Whether he is or not, there are worse jobs than being George Clooney's girlfriend. Though I wonder do you go back to being a cocktail waitress, or in my case, a legal assistant? Not that much of fan or even find him all that attractive, but I'd give up a few months of my life to fly around the world, walk red carpets with a bored look and wear pretty dresses.

Posted by: zn123 | September 9, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

With all due respect, mdreader, isn't being "forced to outsource [one's] dalliances to Italy" is a little like being forced to get one's prosciutto, ricotta or Michelangelo sculptures there?

Posted by: byoolin1 | September 9, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: byoolin1 | September 9, 2009 4:38 PM
==============
No. It's exactly like using your Cash for Clunkers money to purchase a Mazerati when a Chevy Corvette would have done just fine.

Posted by: mdreader01 | September 9, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

What was the question again? I sorta thought it was whether it was cool for George to boldly go where he has gone before, and if so, I say a resounding yes. Why would George change a winning formula? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Posted by: Californian11 | September 9, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Clooney's love life is hardly a veritable chorus line. He dated one woman for 5 years, one for three years, and the most recent for two years. Those sound like rather long term relationships to me. On the other hand, A-Rod is dating a chorus line of A-list celebs.

Posted by: buffysummers | September 10, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse