Posted at 8:47 AM ET, 09/14/2009

Kanye West Ruins Taylor Swift's VMA Moment; Tina Fey Wins Emmy for Palin Impression

By Liz Kelly

Monday

Headlines: Kanye West apologizes for ambushing Taylor Swift's VMA acceptance speech; Beyonce gives Swift a chance to have her moment... Tina Fey wins Emmy for Sarah Palin impression... Tom Brady confirms Gisele Bundchen's pregnant, due in December... Michael Jackson tribute concert cancelled... "Transformers" crew members call Megan Fox "dumb as a rock," but director Michael Bay defends Fox's "crazy charm"... Johnny Depp signs on for a fourth "Pirates of the Caribbean" installment... Will Smith returning for "Hancock" sequel?... Angelina Jolie visits Kenyan refugee camp... Susan Boyle covers the Rolling Stones... Charity criticizes Elton John's plan to adopt from the Ukraine... Colin Farrell expecting second child... "Basketball Diaries" author Jim Carroll dead at 60.

Crime Watch: Two LAPD officers on leave in probe of leaked Rihanna photo.

Pix: Pink and Shakira wear the same dress to VMAs... Lada Gaga's gaga VMA wardrobe.

Rumor Mill: Nicole Scherzinger single again?... Did Britney Spears invent video audition to meet male model?... Chace Crawford dating Bar Refaeli?

-------

washingtonpost.com movie editrix Jen Chaney has spent the past several days soaking up the scene at the Toronto International Film Festival. Chat with her live from Toronto, today at 12:30, and follow her on Twitter at twitter.com/chaneyj. After the jump, a quick summary of Jen's celeb encounters while in the Great White North...

Attending the Toronto International Film Festival is a bit like playing celebrity pinball: bump into one movie star, then two seconds later -- ding! ding! -- you're likely to bang into another. Here are the spottings that put my machine in full-tilt mode:

Penelope Cruz, Jay Baruchel, Alfred Molina and Ewan McGregor, all going through a revolving door of press interviews at the Intercontinental Hotel on Friday.

Bill Murray, Woody Harrelson and Tate Donovan at the gala premiere of "The Men Who Stare at Goats" on Friday.

Jason Bateman, Jeff Bridges, Richard Kind and the Lord-God-King of Spotted Celebs, George Clooney, at both Friday's "Goats" premiere and the after-party. (Clooney has spots? -- Liz)

Kat Dennings, in the lobby of the Four Seasons Hotel on Sunday.

Marcia Gay-Harden, Eve and Juliette Lewis, getting mobbed by autograph seekers outside the Intercontinental Hotel Sunday afternoon.

Mariah Carey, Gabourey Sidibe, Paula Patton and Robert De Niro at the "Precious" cocktail party at the Royal Ontario Museum. Oprah allegedly in attendance but never visually verified.

Michael Moore at the public premiere of his latest doc, "Capitalism: A Love Story," on Sunday evening. To the crowd about what he hoped would be a positive response before he takes the film to the States: "At least we'll have one good night with some socialists from Canada." Ah, socialism. Is there anything more glamorous?

By Liz Kelly  | September 14, 2009; 8:47 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weekend Update: Live Tweeting the Toronto Film Festival
Next: Separated at Birth: Kanye West and Joe Wilson?

Comments

Is there a point to the VMAs? I've tried to watch a couple times, and all I've seen are audience members yelling and lame attempts and shock or comedy. What should I be seeing? Help me out here.

"Kanye West apologizes for ambushing Taylor Swift's VMA acceptance speech" -- I can't see the video; did anyone make the Mike Myers "I can't believe he's saying that and how do I get off the stage" face?

Susan Boyle covers the Rolling Stones" -- I saw this link and prayed she was doing "Sympathy for the Devil" or "19th Nervous Breakdown". DARNIT.

"Charity criticizes Elton John's plan to adopt from the Ukraine" -- That article makes no sense. Saying that Elton's adopting a child would mean more kids left in homes because he's a celebrity. I can only hope I read that wrong. Stupid.

"Colin Farrell expecting second child" -- When did he give birth the first time? Did I miss that "Oprah!"? (And thank you for not saying "pregnant" as in all those couples who say "we are pregnant." No, you're not. She is.)

"Pink and Shakira wear the same dress to VMAs" -- And both look like someone took a floormat from a car, wrapped it around her waist, and stapled it together in the back. Then again, Shakira can wear a floormat anytime....

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | September 14, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Kanye West sets a new standard in asshattery. Wow.

Props to Beyonce for being a classy lady.

Shakira wore it better. The hips don't lie - that sort of dress always looks better when you have a waist. Thigh-high boots don't hurt, either. (Agree with TD that the dress itself looked like a car mat, though.)

Can't wait to hear what Jen Chaney has to say about TIFF, Viggo, et al.

Posted by: northgs | September 14, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Kanye is a classless ZERO. Seriously, what he did was so awful. Poor Taylor, she looks stunned.

Posted by: Guest1234 | September 14, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

...and Taylor Swift was just too classy to knock Kasswipe unconscious with her VMA statuette.

About Michael Bay's description of Megan Fox's "crazy charm": once, when I described a young lady as 'charming,' my roommate replied, "You want to see her breasts, don't you?"

Posted by: byoolin1 | September 14, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

td, you beat me to the punch on the Colin Farrell item.

I can't decide between Pink and Shakira. Can't we find some way to combine the two of them?

Also, props to the Dr. Horrible cast and crew on their Emmys. Is that the first time a non-televised show won an Emmy?

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | September 14, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

RE Pink and Shakira- Who wore it better? I say they both looked good.

Posted by: Guest1234 | September 14, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

This just confirms what I've thought all along. Kanye West is a self-centered loser. And Beyonce...catch her expression when he rained her with adulation?...like she was actually being bestowed with an award. She's low class. Trailer trash with money.

Posted by: wetbook71 | September 14, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Colin Farrel expecting second child? Hope he enjoys labor.

Kanye West proves once again it's all about him. Even when it isn't.

I'm with the Transformers' crew members.

Who is Nichole Scherzinger and why do I care about her dating status?

Posted by: epjd | September 14, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Actually, wetbook71, I thought Beyonce was very classy - she brought Taylor back up on stage and was very gracious to her.

Madonna - WE abondaned Michael Jackson??? It's somehow MY fault that he went off the deep end into looney-ville?

Maybe it's some one else's fault, honey, but I'm not to blame. Sheesh.

Posted by: Amelia5 | September 14, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

The only people I've ever known to act the way Kanye acted were whacked out on cocaine... i'm just sayin

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | September 14, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

I watched the beginning of the VMA's. Saw Madonna's speech. Noticed she no longer has a british accent. Saw the MJ tribute with the clone dancers (very cool) and Janet. Only lasted a couple minutes when Russell Brand came on. I tend to get the dry heaves whenever he is on the screen. So I missed the Kanye the Creep. And for the record, I never did get what the fuss about Beyonce is. Never liked her music after she left Destiny's Child. But then again, I feel pretty much the same about Taylor Swift. Feel bad though for both of them.

Posted by: hodie | September 14, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

wetbook71, I'm not Beyonce fan, but she genuinely looked pissed at Kanye.

I haven't watched the VMAs in years. MTV doesn't play videos anymore, so I couldn't understand what they would be giving awards away for. It was interesting if only to see what Lady Ga Ga would get into next. Every time they had a shot of Beyonce, you couldn't help but lose it because Lady Ga Ga looked so ridiculous.

Posted by: MzFitz | September 14, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

"Madonna's speech. Noticed she no longer has a british accent." --hodie

I heard part of her speech on the radio this morning. I agree she doesn't sound British anymore -- but now she sounds like Sinead O'Connor. ?!

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | September 14, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

kanye west has impulse problems. he can't control himself. that usually doesn't portend well.

Posted by: frieda406 | September 14, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

The face mask was an improvement for Lady Gaga. She's what's known as a butter face.

Posted by: buffysummers | September 14, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

kanye did what he did because he was attracted to taylor swift and this is how he starts to manipulate her...
I hope she stays away...

Posted by: DwightCollins | September 14, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Kanye West's actions last night were deplorable. There was no reason to interrupt Taylor Swift's acceptance speech, none, except for grandstanding for Beyonce.
Kanye West should be banned from next year's VMA.
Beyonce should find someone better to pal around with although, to her credit, it was nice that she made it up to Taylor by letting her take her minutes during her award speech.
Kanye didn't just ruin Taylor's moment, he ruined Beyonce's too.
Kanye West, a truly classless act.

Posted by: the1magician | September 14, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Kanye West is another racist village idiot...

Posted by: charko825 | September 14, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I didn't even know the VMAs were on. Kanye needs a time out, or a big spanking, or someone to just take him out back and beat the cr@p out of him, and some sense into him.

(Full disclosure: I was watching quality cr@p reality TV - those Kardashian sister's in Miami who are celebrities because they are siblings-of-a person-who-is-not-really-a-celebrity-but-is-famous-because-of-a-sex-tape-released-that-showed-her-with-a-quasi-celebrity.)

Michael Bay: "crazy charm" = dumb as a door-knob. It's all in trying to put that positive spin on it. Isn't it?

Did Jen say whether George had dumped that girl that the rest of us know is not right for him? (I would say that the appropriate lady his closer to his age would be me, but unfortunately for him, I'm unavailable. Mr. Lurker snapped me up, and I'm a lucky girl!)

Posted by: anonymouslurker | September 14, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

You know, Kanye, I feel ya, bro. But you should have railed that noone knows how good Beyonce's video is because MTV doesn't play videos anymore.

Tina, congratulations on your Schmemmy! Although I bet your acceptance speech wasn't as colorful as Kathy Griffin's.

I wonder if Perez Hilton thinks he's setting Susan Boyle up to become the next gay icon. Liza Minelli isn't getting any younger, y'know.

If Taylor had kicked Kanye when he grabbed her mike, would that have been a Swift kick in the ass?

Posted by: mdreader01 | September 14, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Note to Tom Brady: When Boston sports writers asked if you had recovered to the point where you were able to "go deep", they were talking about throwing a football.

Imagine what byoolin's roommate would have said had he described the young woman in question as "smokin' hot."

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | September 14, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mdreader01

-------------------------------------------

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | September 14, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

well-played, sas!

shakira vs. pink... i like it better w/out the boots.

can't wait to hear the rest of this story:

Posted by: memphis1 | September 14, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

and i think if you look in the dictionary under d-bag, kanye's face is there.

Posted by: memphis1 | September 14, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Whoa- not to criticize your guilty pleasure viewing habits (I'm addicted to the "reality" muck that is Housewives of ATL), but how can you look at those silly girls? Not because they are unattractive (ok- there is one mannish looking sister) but because they are soooo boring. I've tried numerous times to look at it but inevitably find something more interesting to do like mop the floor or clean the toilets...

Posted by: plamar1031 | September 14, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

lady gaga freaks me out too much, so i've never listened to any of her stuff.... can she actually sing? or is it all an elaborate cover for the fact that she can't?

Posted by: memphis1 | September 14, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

"...those Kardashian sister's in Miami who are celebrities because they are siblings-of-a person-who-is-not-really-a-celebrity-but-is-famous-because-of-a-sex-tape-released-that-showed-her-with-a-quasi-celebrity."

The best description of a "celebrity". EVER.

Posted by: zn123 | September 14, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Mztr Fitz and I were able to get a screen shot of an updated Wikipedia adjustment that was made during the show, which read:

At the 2009 VMA Awards Kanye showed just how big of a d0ucheb@g he is.

I love it when people F with Wikipedia.

Posted by: MzFitz | September 14, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone here watch "Hung"? When did Anne Heche get so ... for lack of a better word ... busty?

Posted by: Californian11 | September 14, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Kanye West is another racist village idiot...

Posted by: charko825 | September 14, 2009 11:44 AM

Really, charko825??? We're gonna play the race card in this? Trust me, if it was Lady GaGa or Pink (or even Britney for that matter), you would have witnessed the first televised castration of a male in a public forum. But because it was sweet 17-year-old Taylor Swift, Kanye made her easy prey for his outrageous rants. Let's keep it exactly what it is, an egomaniac who is in desperate need to remain relevant in the public eye.

Posted by: MrKPrez2U | September 14, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wetbook71 | September 14, 2009 9:40 AM

And wetbook71... ummm, how could you have possibly missed that geniunely shocked expression on Beyonce's face when Kanye West started ranting during Taylor's acceptance speech? And maybe you tuned out afterwards in disgust like some people, but Beyonce actually showed real class by letting Taylor Swift have her moment by sacrificing her own later on in the broadcast. If that's what you call "Trailer Trash", then the world needs more of 'em. And I curse you for making me defend Beyonce, whom I'm not even a fan of.

Posted by: MrKPrez2U | September 14, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

"It's nice to know that Tom Brady has had one successfully completed pass since the 2007 Championship game."

Comment of the Week to Mdreader.

Sorry, Sas, I found this one funnier.

Posted by: epjd | September 14, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

BKD day anyone?

Posted by: hodie | September 14, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Comment of the Week to Mdreader.

Sorry, Sas, I found this one funnier.

---------------------------------------
No need to apologize. I didn't see MDreader's take on Tom Brady until after I had written mine.

MDreader regularly does great snark.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | September 14, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: memphis1 | September 14, 2009 12:36 PM
===================
Funny you should mention that. I always wondered the same thing until I heard this on BBC Radio 1. This is Lady Gaga on piano (she's playing it) singing her interesting cover of Viva la Vida.

Posted by: mdreader01 | September 14, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

thanks mdreader... the net nannies won't let me see it here so i'll have to wait. glad you clarified that she is *playing* the piano..... :)

Posted by: memphis1 | September 14, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Oh jaybub, I am so sorry.

He fought untl the end, but Patrick Swayze passed away tonight at the age of 57.

WOLVERINES!!!!!!

Posted by: epjd | September 14, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

RIP, The Swayze.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 14, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

I just learned about The Swayze. So sad. I know how brutal cancer is - I hope his passing was peaceful. Much love to Mrs. The Swayze as she faces this new stage of her life.

*sniff* *sniff*

Posted by: jaybbub | September 14, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

See The Swayze on the other side.

And jaybbub, everyone needs a friend like you.

Posted by: jsk2 | September 14, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

jaybbub, The Swayze was lucky to have such a loyal virtual friend as you.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 14, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse