Posted at 7:48 AM ET, 09/18/2009

Katherine Heigl Debuts Baby Girl; Avril Lavigne Splits from Husband

By Liz Kelly

Katherine Heigl and husband Josh Kelley pose with their adopted 10-month-old baby girl, Naleigh. (AP)
Friday

Headlines: Katherine Heigl and Josh Kelley complete adoption of Korean baby girl... Kanye West nominated for nine BET Awards... Avril Lavigne splits from husband of three years... Madonna and Janet Jackson plan duet tribute to Michael Jackson... Katherine Jackson to get $1 million a year from son's estate... Patrick Swayze's memoir due in stores in two weeks... Uma Thurman worried motherhood may choke her career... Sissy Spacek joining cast of HBO's "Big Love"... Megan Fox discusses her "supernatural" power over men... Lisa Ling to return to "The View" as a sub... Martha Stewart says Jessica Simpson should have been more careful with dog... Emma Watson launching clothing line for under-24 set... Bravo introducing "Real Housewives" apparel line... "Full House's" Dave Coulier owes $48K in back taxes... Kermit the Frog denies dating Lady Gaga.

Crime Watch: Arrest made in Lindsay Lohan and Audrina Patridge burglaries.

Pix: Audrina Patridge goes topless in Maxim... Cate Blanchett wears my grandmother's crocheted couch throw.

Video: Chris Brown begins community service.

Rumor Mill: Kate Gosselin shooting talk show pilot over the weekend... Rebecca Gayheart and Eric Dane expecting first child?... Khloe Kardashian and Lamar Odom to marry... Barbra Streisand accused of rigging cute pet contest.

Not News: Lindsay Lohan not admitted to psych ward.

In Case You Missed It
It's a jerk thing. Kanye has a track record of running his mouth when he perhaps should not. But, come on people, let's not lose sight of the real tragedy here: the fact that Kanye does not Twitter. -- From Thursday's Celebritology Live chat.

By Liz Kelly  | September 18, 2009; 7:48 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: VIDEO -- Twits: Solange Knowles, Miley Cyrus, Barbara Walters, Dita Von Teese
Next: Friday List: Animated, Anthropomorphic Childhood Trauma

Comments

"Uma Thurman worried motherhood may choke her career" -- News flash, Uma. Parenthood chokes EVERYTHING.

"Emma Watson launching clothing line for under-24 set" -- Accio, accessories!

"Kate Gosselin shooting talk show pilot over the weekend" -- An airplane pilot has a talk show? Oprah'd better take cover. The shrew is packing heat!

"Katherine Jackson to get $1 million a year from son's estate" -- Unfortunately, payment will be in the form of cr@p from Michael's many shopping sprees. Every New Year's Day, she's going to wander around Neverland playing Wheel of Fortune, to wit, "I'll take the hyperbaric chamber for $200,000, the Bride of Chucky doll for $50,000, and the rest on a gift certificate."

"Barbra Streisand accused of rigging cute pet contest." -- Hey, don't rain on her parade! She's got nothing to be guil. ty. of.

"Madonna and Janet Jackson plan duet tribute to Michael Jackson" -- No. No. No. No. And, um, NO! Michael's death was NOT ABOUT THEM. Makes me wanna SCREAM! (Speaking of MJ's death, I'm surprised George Clooney and Fran Drescher haven't blamed the paparazzi yet. Time is ticking!)

Congratulations and best wishes to the Heigl / Kelley family on their daughter. (No snark here, other than a minor rant on why we needed the word "adopted" in the photo caption.) Many happy years together! But don't call Uma Thurman for a while. Trust me on this one.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | September 18, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

OMG Cate, what were you thinking? Don't you have any friends? Or a mirror? Thanks for the Excedrin moment and not even 9:00 yet.

Posted by: Beach_Girl | September 18, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Am I the only one that thinks that Heigl adopted so she didn't have to quit smoking? Or so she wouldn't have to "get fat?"

Posted by: wadejg | September 18, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Did Patrick Swayze use a ghost writer?

"Full House's" Dave Coulier owes $48K in back taxes...
Oh now Cut. It. Out.

Lisa Ling to return to "The View" as a sub...
Suddenly I have the mental image of Barbara Walters in black PVC with a whip (what is wrong with my head this morning?)

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | September 18, 2009 8:44 AM | Report abuse

There's a gag reflex/frog legs jokes there that I just can't quite find.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 18, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

No,no, no, not a fashion line Emma. Go to Brown and be normal for a while. Nothing good can come of this (yes, it's fair trade and organic, it's still another celeb with a fasion line).

Yeah, everyone abandoned Michael Jackson when he was creepy but when his music starting selling again, everyone wants a piece of it.

How does Katherine Jackson get $1 million a year from a broke estate? I still haven't heard that trust was properly established before his death.

Posted by: epjd | September 18, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Today's entry post must be a new low for this blog.

Posted by: jezebel3 | September 18, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

"The shrew is packing heat!" Snort!

Luckily, Katherine Heigl's baby doesn't yet know enough English to understand all the ranting about 17-hour days.

I'm not sure what this is about, bt where she was asked for her reaction to the news that Kanye West has been nominated for nine BET Awards, Taylor Swift merely rubbed her hands together and said, "Mwahahahahahaha!"

Unlike TD, I'm not alarmed that Madonna and Janet Jackson are planning a tribute. I'm just relieved that Celine Dion wasn't among his close friends.

Patrick Swayze's memoir: spoiler alert...

Megan, those aren't "supernatural" powers you have, they're just large breasts in a tight shirt. Now shut up and go wash my car.

"Martha Stewart says Jessica Simpson should have been more careful with dog." I look forward to Martha's advice re Tony Romo.

"Emma Watson launching clothing line for under-24 set." Why, what's wrong with Megan Fox's "supernatural" look?

""Full House's" Dave Coulier owes $48K in back taxes..." And that, Dave, is why the IRS is here to remind you of the mess you left when you went away.

Posted by: byoolin1 | September 18, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

"bt where" = "but when".

Posted by: byoolin1 | September 18, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Megan's 'supernatural' powers reminds me of the joke with the punchline: "With one of **these** I can get all of **those** I want."

Posted by: yellojkt | September 18, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone else catch Kristin Wiig's impression of Madonna on the VMAs last night? You have to wait through the first portion of the clip.

Posted by: kvs09 | September 18, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1

****

Maybe Liz Kelly can convince Rachel Manteuffel to re-record her BabaWawa twits in that outfit.

Just throwin' that out there.

Posted by: byoolin1 | September 18, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Is it just me or did all the women take the day off?

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | September 18, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

EXCUSE ME, Dorkus?????

Posted by: epjd | September 18, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Nah we're just waiting til they mop up all you boys' drool over Megan (dumb as) Rox...

Posted by: LTL1 | September 18, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Sorry ep...

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | September 18, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Apparently Bravo is calling its "Real Housewives"-inspired clothing line Royal Plush, which leaves me with the mental image of overprocessed women in velour track suits, a look that I thought (hoped and prayed) was done a couple of years ago. And it will be available in major department and specialty stores this fall - would that be Sears and Bolton's?

Cate Blanchett, if your house had just burned down and you got out wrapped only in that afghan, and those heels were the only other thing you managed to save, we could forgive you. But since this clearly a deliberate effort, can we suggest that you re-evaluate your choice of stylist?

Posted by: northgs | September 18, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Er, I'm sorry LTL1, was I drooling? I dunno, every time Megan Fox opens her mouth, I want to do a Dianne Wiest / "Bullets Over Broadway" and put my finger to her lips and say, "Dooon't. Speak!" And then make her go wash byoolin's car.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | September 18, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Dog lover Martha Stewart said "[Jessica Simpson should have watched [her dog] more closely. She should have been more careful."

Continuing, Stewart said, "I would never let my chows get eaten by coyotes...I prefer killing them off in fiery propane explosions."

Posted by: mdreader01 | September 18, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

wadejg, as much as i hate to defend her, heigel has a sister who was adopted. she's always said this was in her plans.

the madonna thing last night was hilarious.

Posted by: memphis1 | September 18, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I'm going to have the cleanest car in America.

And some 'splainin' to do to the Lovely Mrs. byoolin.

By the way, and apropos of nothing, if The Minus 5/Baseball Project/Steve Wynn IV tour comes to your town, GO.

Posted by: byoolin1 | September 18, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

"Patrick Swayze's memoir: spoiler alert..." Yay byoolin! This is why, whenever I hear celeb "news", my first thought is always, "What would byoolin say?"

(Yes, I loved The Swayze. No, it's not too soon. It's NEVER too soon here on the Island.)

I can see the t-shirt now: a big beautiful WWBS emblazoned across the front...

Posted by: jaybbub | September 18, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Congrats to Hay-gle and family. Your little girl is adorable. Try not to screw her up too badly.

Re: Dave Coulier - I wish I earned enough to OWE $48K in taxes!

Posted by: jaybbub | September 18, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

jaybbub, your wish is my (poorly executed) command:

Posted by: byoolin1 | September 18, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

"byoolin's trebushoppe"?! We're going to need a bigger blog....

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | September 18, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

byoolin, I so want one of those shirts.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | September 18, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

"We still work together all the time. In fact, in early December, you can catch us together singing with Andrea Bocelli on the Andrea Bocelli & David Foster: My Christmas, a new holiday special for PBS."

Thanks to Kermie, Miss Piggy and PBS, I now have an effective strategy for avoiding that holiday weight gain.

Posted by: mdreader01 | September 18, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Hey sorry for the disappearance, I have been caught up in the afternoon post. Apparently I can't let go of talking about tear jerker books and movies...

Of course I am preggers so I've been reduced to blubbering over hallmark commercials....

Just teasing about Megan Rox because I had no good snark today.

Posted by: LTL1 | September 18, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

LTL, I blubber over commercials and I'm not pregnant, so feel empowered over that!

Is it just me or does Megan Fox get physically less and less attractive the more she speaks? It might be unflattering pictures, but I swear I'm developing some kind of filter over my eyes.

The Heigl Thing has finally done something unsnarkworthy. Congrats on that too.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | September 18, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Hey cat, what's the weather forecast in the LA area for next week?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 18, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

cat, Another thing in Heigl's favor: Unlike her former colleague Kate Walsh, who married around the same time, isn't divorced yet. By 14 months after the wedding, Mr. Walsh was suing for a huge financial windfall based on Kate's earning capacity.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 18, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Well, Nosy--here at the beach we're going to be sunny and 75-80 every day. Inland it'll be hotter. I can't remember where you were staying. ;-)

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | September 18, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Cerritos area. I checked the 5-days forecasts online, and looks like it's gonna get bloody awful hot later in the week :-(

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 18, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse