Posted at 8:06 AM ET, 09/25/2009

Mackenzie Phillips Returning to Oprah; Randy Quaid Arrested

By Liz Kelly

Bruce Willis and wife Emma Heming arrive at the Los Angeles premiere of 'Surrogates' on Thursday. (Getty Images)
Friday

Headlines: Mackenzie Phillips returning to "Oprah Winfrey Show" today with sister Chynna... Dustin "Screech" Diamond picks the wrong week to release his "Saved by the Bell" tell-all... Brad Pitt's New Orleans building project named "largest and greenest" in the world... Heidi Montag to sit in as "View" guest host... In newly-released tapes, Michael Jackson calls Hitler a "genius orator"; says Madonna was in love with him... Drew Barrymore not sober, but "balanced"... Lindsay Lohan Singapore-bound to host concert series... Jessica Biel to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro to promote clean water cause... Olivia Newton-John claims she once saw a UFO... "Idol" alum Justin Guarini to marry this weekend... Paparazzo sues Britney Spears for a little over $200K.

Crime Watch: Randy Quaid free on bail after arrest for skipping out on hotel bill (mug shots)... Kelly Rutherford granted restraining order against estranged husband... Kirsten Dunst testifies in burglary trial.

Video: Jay-Z teaches Oprah how to rap... Angry Kingston Rossdale tells paparazzo he's going to "bite your butt off."

Rumor Mill: Reese Witherspoon and Jake Gyllenhaal engaged?... Sarah Jessica Parker and Kim Cattrall feuding on "Sex and the City" set?... Renee Zellweger to wear fat suit in third "Bridget Jones" movie... Lily Allen to quit music business?... Pamela Anderson owes $1.2 million to creditors.

----
Below, I'm testing out a ranking poll that will let us deem the buzziest celebrity of the day. Use the arrows to move your picks up and down, then cast your vote. And feedback on the experience would be fab...

By Liz Kelly  | September 25, 2009; 8:06 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 2009 Celebritology Honors: Let the Voting Begin
Next: Friday List: No Talent? No Problem!

Comments

Kingston, I hope you're hungry.

Well, Michael's sorta right about the Hitler, but not so much about the Madonna.

Chynna, resist the temptation to do "Oprah." Hold on for one more day.

I see Olivia Newton-John finally made it to Xanadu. Now we are here.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | September 25, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

I don't like to agree with MJ, but any person who can convince millions of people to hate/kill/torture millions of other people has simply got to be a good orator. One might say genius. Genius does not have to be used only for good, unfortunately.

Posted by: Stormy1 | September 25, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Because Renee got tired of drinking all those milkshakes to get UP to a size 10 as character development. Scratch her off the short list for Raging Bull remakes.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 25, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Dustin Diamond couldn't get the spotlight on Celebrity Fit Club & now he's lost it again to another child-star-gone-wrong-on-so-many-levels.

I have no need to read either book now.

What else could Mackenzie have to say in that book that could top the raped-by-my-father-who-got-me-into-drugs-then-kept-having-sex-with-me revelation?

She had sex with Mick Jagger? Big whoop, who DIDN'T have sex with Mick Jagger back in the day?

As for Dustin's book, another even bigger whoop. Teenagers smoke pot & have sex & take 'roids, sounds like a bad Lifetime movie one of your former co-stars would star in.

Posted by: wadejg | September 25, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

It sounds like Screech is still a little upset he never hooked up with Lisa.

Is it too early to wish I could balanced like Drew Barrymore?

What's a Kingston Rosdale?

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | September 25, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Olivia, that was just your co-star, John, out for a joyride with his thetan friends.

Stormy, I was going to say the same thing. Genius comes in many forms and they aren't always nice.

Drew, I still love you, but I wonder how balanced you are when you let someone use your hair as a paintbrush.

Randy and his wife can each put up 20K for bail but don't pay their hotel bill? What is it, a thrill thing?

Posted by: hodie | September 25, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

"I'm worried for the planet when Heidi Montag sits down next to Sheri Sheppard. Hopefully the world won;t get sucked into the intellectual vacuum created by those two being in such close proximity." - Thanks for a good laugh! Now I'm afraid.

Posted by: Vienna8425 | September 25, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I really don't know how to express the depths of my "ugh" about Heidi Montag. Fortunately Dorkus is here for us.

Can't argue with that little Kingston Rossdale. Smart kid.

What's up with Bruce Willis and that teenager he's apparently married to? Is he gunning for this year's Billy Joel Cradle-Robber-of-the-Year award? Ick.

Posted by: jaybbub | September 25, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Re Kingston Rosdale. How sad is it that this little kid is fed up with being photographed and stalked? He's just a little kid and they really need to leave him (and all children of celebs) alone. I'm totally with him and hope he does bite someone's butt off.

Posted by: Guest1234 | September 25, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if there is anyone in the universe (except for Jessica Biel's third world people without clean water) who don't know that Mackenzie Phillips has a book out.

MJ's opinions are not particularly surprising. Millions of people thought Hitler was a genius orator. About the same number of guys thought Madonna was in love with them.

"Balanced" is Drew-speak for "not currently smashed."

I think Hodie nailed the Randy & Evi Quaid motivation, although you can get a bail bond without slapping dowm the entire amount.

Posted by: reddragon1 | September 25, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I couldn't remember who Kingston Rossdale is, if I had I wouldn't have clicked on the link thus encouraging TMZ, but after watching it, I have to repeat what I believe has been said here before: TMZ is scum! (are scum? whatever!) I also think you should have left the link out of today's mix, Liz.

Posted by: talleyl | September 25, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I won't scoff at Jessica Biel's cause (hey, I like clean water even though I don't drink it often, 'cuz fish do unmentionable things in it), and the ascent of a 19,000' peak is certainly more than a day hike. But you don't exactly CLIMB Mt. Kilimanjaro. It's definitely a hike, a stroll, a perambulation.

Posted by: bobsewell | September 25, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: wadejg | September 25, 2009 9:12 AM
===========
I think that's yet another thing Dustin Diamond missed out on.

Posted by: mdreader01 | September 25, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bobsewell | September 25, 2009 10:56 AM
==================
The top 1/3 of it is above the elevation where there are normal oxygen levels. It's more like staggering to the top.

Posted by: mdreader01 | September 25, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Just to clarify, I do not scoff at Jessica Biel's cause. I scoff at her surprise that 3rd world people don't have clean water.

Also, I wouldn't mind hiking up Mt. Kiamanjaro directly behind her. I could drop out at the top 1/3. Difficulty breathing and all that.

Posted by: reddragon1 | September 25, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

reddragon, do you mean "heavy breathing"? ;-)

Posted by: hodie | September 25, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Somehow, Renee Z.'s disingenuous "concerns" about her "health" just don't ring true. She just doesn't want to eat.

Jacko was abusing plastic surgery and drugs in the decade before his death? I'm shocked, shocked I say! That should be under NOT News ...

Bruce Willis' new wife sure looks A LOT like Demi.

If anyone wants to read an excellent account of climbing Kilimanjaro, I highly recommend Michael Crichton's essay in his non-fiction book "Travels". Not an easy stroll to the top as he thought.

Posted by: Californian11 | September 25, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

So Bijou Phillips knew about Mackenzie and the dad, too. Yikes.

Posted by: Californian11 | September 25, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

So Drew Barrymore has "balance" and doesn't need to be alcohol free? Lord, if I had this woman's forebears, I wouldn't go within a light year of liquor. Her father, John Barrymore Jr., had endless booze, dope and mental issues. Her grandfather John Barrymore, who died long before she was born, was a great actor and an epic alcoholic. Her granduncle Lionel Barrymore was addicted to morphine. With that paternal family tree--not to mention her own personal history--picking up a drink is like giving a baby a bomb.

Posted by: jhpurdy | September 25, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to assume everyone loved the buzz-ranking feature and make it a regular thang.

Posted by: Liz_Likes_Celebs_Not_Baseball | September 25, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Renee - you were probably healthier with 30 lbs on you, then as the twig you are right now.

Okay, maybe 15 pounds, but RZ never struck me as looking grossly overweight in the Bridget Jones movies. I thought she looked nice and curvy.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | September 25, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Californian11

****

"Kilimanjaro's a pretty tricky climb, you know. Most of it's up, until you reach the very, very top, and then it tends to slope away rather sharply."

Posted by: byoolin1 | September 26, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Looooove the ranking system. You rock, lizkelly.

Posted by: lolyla | September 27, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Is Mackenzie Phillips broke? I don't believe her and all her half sister knows of this is what Mackenzie herself said so all the tales come from Mackenzie's mouth who was a drugger before her alleged claims and of course all her life.

Also since Oprah is going the drug addict routes then she should have them take a hair follicle test to be sure they are drug free and as long as they "claim" to be cause they have no business milking the public for money to support their drug habits and pay their bills for them. No book buying or CD buying without proof they are clean. What a joke!

By the way while I am at this--where is Mackenzie's real mother and real brother in all this?

Posted by: mac7 | September 27, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse