Posted at 7:24 AM ET, 09/23/2009

Mackenzie Phillips Says She Slept with Dad; Heather Locklear Returns to 'Melrose Place'

By Liz Kelly
Wednesday

Headlines: Mackenzie Phillips claims incestuous relationship with father, John Phillips of the Mamas and the Papas... Heather Locklear joins cast of new "Melrose Place"... K-Fed signs on to "Celebrity Fit Club"... Catherine Zeta-Jones and Angela Lansbury team up on Broadway... Daniel Craig/Hugh Jackman play officially a hit... Ashton Kutcher's Facebook video series draws 9 million viewers... Brigitte Bardot at 75... Amy Winehouse spits on school bully who allegedly terrorized her goddaughter... Sarah Michelle Gellar gives birth to daughter Charlotte Grace... Joe and Nick Jonas to serve as best men at brother Kevin's wedding... "Lost's" Sonya Walger fesses up about August nuptials... Photogs sue Tom Brady and Gisele Bundchen over shooting... Former agents sue Gina Gershon for unpaid commission.

Crime Watch: Accused stalker says God led him to Jewel's ranch.

Video: Celebs -- including Jon Hamm, Will Farrell, Donald Faison --mock the healthcare industry in fake PSA:

More: Babies love Beyonce's "Single Ladies"...Kirk Cameron attempts to debunk Darwin's "Origin of the Species."

Rumor Mill: Lindsay Lohan may have known burglary suspect... Chloe Sevigny and Jason Segel dating?... Julia Roberts's 350-bodyguard entourage bars worshippers from Hindu temple... Kelly Osbourne in tears as mom Sharon blocked from "Dancing with the Stars" set.

Not News: Former "Charlie's Angel" Jaclyn Smith did not attempt suicide in Honduras, despite Internet reports (but it may have been Smith's one-time stunt double).

By Liz Kelly  | September 23, 2009; 7:24 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Enough Already with the Kanye Impressions
Next: Catching Up with a Greener Mario Van Peebles

Comments

Well, THAT headline sure set off the Ick. Nast. meter. Yikes. And we needed to know this now WHY?

Unfortunately, now I have the theme song to "One Day at a Time" in my head ("This is life, the one you get, so go and have a ball"). Clearly there was more happening in the Romano/Cooper household than we realized. (Schneider!)

And speaking of 70s television, I refuse to believe that Jaclyn Smith tried to off herself. I mean, come ON. First Farrah gets anal cancer and dies, then Kate's starts hoarding in a rat-infested hovel. For Bosley's SAKE, can we just retain ONE teen memory of those Angels that's not corrupted by reality?

Or is Cheryl Ladd suddenly going to reveal she was getting busy with father-in-law Alan Ladd, therefore shattering my adolescense completely?!

I'm now heading to a quiet place to zone out with a "Bionic Woman" DVD, eat some Jello 1-2-3, and sort my Wacky Packages. I'll be back.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | September 23, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

TMI At A Time.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 23, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Can't snark until I stop shuddering.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | September 23, 2009 8:44 AM | Report abuse

I always thought there was something creepy about John Phillips. Although we must be very careful here. Mackenzie may not be the most reliable reporter, considering her highly checkered past. Still, ick nast.

Catherine Z-J turns the big 4-0 on Friday, so may be trying to look younger by co-starring with Angela Lansbury, who must be 100 by now.

Speaking of which, Brigitte looks OK considering. Kinda like Jeanne Moreau's older sister.

Amy Winehouse holds true to form. What do the Brits call "trailer trash?"

Good on SMG for not doing the wierd baby-name thing.

Tom Brady and Gisele should be ASHAMED for having their bodyguards fire on the paps. Tom should have done it himself.

Posted by: reddragon1 | September 23, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Mackenzie Phillips has now zoomed to the top of my list of celebs who need to stop talking now. She surpassed Meghan Fox, who must be horrified that some one has made a more startling comment than she has this week. Poor old Meghan.

Posted by: Amelia5 | September 23, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

And the all-time winner of the Woody is .... John Phillips.

Heard backstage at the Craig/Jackman play:
Craig: How come all we do in this play is stand around with our shirts off?

Hugh: Who cares, we are sold out for the next 10 years.

Thank you Sarah Michelle Gellar for giving your daughter such an elegant normal name.

Shame on Tom and Gisele's bodyguards for shooting at the paps ... and missing.

Posted by: epjd | September 23, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

I hope England's NIH took that poor child in quarantine to keep her from spreading anything she might have caught from Amy Winehouse.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | September 23, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

The fake PSA wasn't very funny or clever. I would have rather seen Kayne West interrupt in the middle with a "Yo, that's a great cause, but the Red Cross had the best cause of all time..."

Posted by: Amelia5 | September 23, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Amelia5, GREAT suggestion!

As for Mackenzie Phillips, oh boy, do I hope she is making this up. I'll never be able to enjoy a Mamas and Papas song ever again.

And where was her mother during all this????

Posted by: WashingtonDame | September 23, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Is Kirk Cameron Jewel's stalker by any chance?

Posted by: jes11 | September 23, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

OK, I'm back from my quiet place. That Jamie Summers sure can battle Fembots!

Hey, reddragon1, great snark on the Bardot: "Jeanne Moreau's older sister" -- HA!

And I'm just glad that the Zeta-Jones/Lansbury teaming wasn't a reworking of "Gypsy" with older actresses than the original. (Though toss in Brigitte as Vera Charles and Renee Zellweger as "Baby" June [heh] and I might be tempted.)

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | September 23, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Shouldn't the headline be that Mackenzie Phillips says she was raped by her dad?

Posted by: Mulface | September 23, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

"Although we must be very careful here. Mackenzie may not be the most reliable reporter, considering her highly checkered past." ?????????
I can hardly stop shaking from THIS comment. A KID is RAPED by her father - having sex with your kid is ONLY rape, don't even think of calling it anything else - what are the chances that she COULD have anything other than a checkered past, and you are warning us that she might not be reliable????? What is wrong with you?

Posted by: agog1 | September 23, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Amy Winehouse holds true to form. What do the Brits call "trailer trash?"

Posted by: reddragon1 |
___________________________________

'Chav' comes close.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 23, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

We have tickets to see the Craig/Jackman play on Saturday. I don't even know what it's named. I just call it 'Hunks On Stage'.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 23, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

"Mackenzie Phillips claims incestuous relationship with father, John Phillips of the Mamas and the Papas..." ...and now we know what made Mama Cass choke on that sandwich.

Posted by: byoolin1 | September 23, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Do you think K-Fed packed on the lbs. on purpose? Celebrity Fit Club is probably part of his master plan to stay relevant.

Posted by: MzFitz | September 23, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Furthermore, she should NOT stop talking. She should talk and talk and talk, like she apparently wasn't able to do before. Maybe if she had been able to talk about it before, her 'past' may not have been so 'checkered'. Too bad it didn't come out then so the b*sterd predator could have been throw in jail.
Dame - VERY good question re her mother.
You are right on ep - all time Woody winner goes to John Phillips.
I can't snark on this, it is way.too.ick.nast. Mackenzie has to be forgiven for quite a bit of her 'checkered past'.
She couldn't even say 'rape', she could only describe it as 'slept with'. How very very horrible for her. Shame on anybody who didn't help make it safe when she was a kid to let this come out.

Posted by: agog1 | September 23, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Isn't it fun when something gets lost in the translation? The last line of the Bardot article:

'It is sad to grow old but nice to ripen'

Posted by: 44west | September 23, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

MacKenzie Phillips - if true, then whoa, that is too sick. If not true, then whoa, that is too sick. Either way, massive therapy, stat!

Re Brady/Bundchen story - the article says:

"One of the shots struck and shattered the rear window of the photographers' vehicle, hit the front windshield and ricocheted off it into the driver's seat, the suit said. It narrowly missed the heads of photographers Yuri Cortez and Rolando Aviles, who are both citizens of Costa Rica.

Cortez and Aviles have incurred expenses for medical care and treatment, medicines, nursing services, physical therapy and other treatment, the suit said."

Happy B-day Bruce Springsteen, who turns 60 today!

Posted by: VaLGaL | September 23, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Is there really any surprise that Papa John may have molested Mackenzie? That kind of psychological instability and drug use usually comes from abuse and trauma. 'Splains a lot about her.

K-Fed - totally packed on the pounds on purpose! Excellent career move, dude.

Still unable to care even remotely about Ashton Kutcher.

Catherine Z-J is 40 - my a$$! She's turned 40 a few times over by now, just won't admit it. Pathetic.

Big ups to Sarah Michelle and Freddie for the normal name. So rare and refreshing (I'm looking at you, Nicole Richie).

Posted by: jaybbub | September 23, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

In reddragon's defense, I think what s/he was trying to say was that just because someone says something, does not necessarily mean it is true. If it is, it is horrible and may explain a lot about her troubles.

I think the challenge is that for crimes of this nature, secrecy is such a component of the crime that it is not unreasonable for decades to go by before the victim is able to confront it. Making it so much harder to find that 'proof'...

Posted by: LTL1 | September 23, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

"Accused stalker says God led him to Jewel's ranch."

I wish God would lead me to George Clooney's villa.....

Posted by: memphis1 | September 23, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

"Treatment for what? No one what shot, so they must be getting treatment for being idiots. Boy, it would be pretty fun to be the defense attorney on this one!"

Probably from the broken glass? I'm truly no fan of the paps, but I'm pretty sure you can't shoot at people for trying to take your picture. If so, LA would be littered with bodies holding cameras.

John Phillips *shudder* there are no words. Ick Nast doesn't even begin.

Posted by: onlytheshadowknows1 | September 23, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah...what in the hell is wrong with Kirk Cameron?

Posted by: onlytheshadowknows1 | September 23, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Fist-knock to the Sarah Michelle and Freddie for giving their daughter a normal name.

Posted by: Trumance1 | September 23, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

"the" Sarah Michelle. Because she's not just an actress, she's an entity.

Posted by: Trumance1 | September 23, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

A response to Kirk Cameron's idiocy:

There may be some NSFW language in it.

Posted by: Ri_poste | September 23, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: reddragon1 | September 23, 2009 8:46 AM

Not that he would have hit them, either.

Posted by: northgs | September 23, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

What is wrong with me is that Mackenzie's charges can not be proven or disproven. I have nothing but sympathy for her if she was raped. Anyone who abuses a position of trust is a slimeball, and words cannot describe my disgust if that person is the father.

Posted by: reddragon1 | September 23, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Yellojkt, you'll have to report back next week. In great detail.

Kirk Cameron, if anybody should be able to grasp the essential truth of Darwin's work, it's an actor who stops getting work as he gets older and less attractive. Perhaps you need to talk to Brigitte Bardot?

Posted by: northgs | September 23, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

onlytheshadowknows1, the glass installed in cars is normally tempered glass and it shatters into nuggets. Even getting hit with this stuff doesn't normally cause the kind of injuries that require "nursing" and "therapy."
And, yes, it IS illegal to shoot at people taking your photo - it's called assault with a deadly weapon in most places. And while being assaulted may entitle them to some monetary damages, it would not entitle them to any kind of "treatment" unless there were in fact injuries. Seems to me that if there were injuries traumatic enought to require nursing and therapy, that would have been reported in the story.

Posted by: VaLGaL | September 23, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

"Heard backstage at the Craig/Jackman play:
Craig: How come all we do in this play is stand around with our shirts off?

Hugh: Who cares, we are sold out for the next 10 years.

Posted by: epjd | September 23, 2009 8:53 AM"

"Daniel Craig and Hugh Jackman’s presence boosted B.O. for ‘A Steady Rain.’"- Variety

Perhaps Craig and Hugh need to use deodorant if they're going to be standing around on stage without shirts.

Posted by: mdreader01 | September 23, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Whoa, a BKD! Guys: Mackenzie Phillips said first she was raped, then later was in a 10-year *consensual* sexual relationship with her father!

And the mother is denying the whole thing.

Who would allow Amy Wine-crazy to be a godmother to their child?

350 bodyguards? Does President Obama even have that many?

Charlotte Grace. SMG, I heart you for giving your child a real name, and an elegant, beautiful one at that.

Bridgitte Bardot: awesome. "Bardot wore tight polo necks and T-shirts and oozed sensuality while being covered" ... Something of which many women of today have no concept.

Posted by: Californian11 | September 23, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to FP and SM(P!) on the beautiful name.. Charlotte Grace. WOW, it's good to know that not all of hollywood is crazy. I bet she'll be a beauty too. :)

Posted by: Guest1234 | September 23, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

It was the disgusting "consensual" aspect to the entire Mackenzie Phillips talking that I was objecting to.

She WAY downplays the rape aspect - she says that she and her father were strung out on drugs the night before her wedding when she was 19 years old and she woke up or out of her drug haze to notice that he was having sex

AND AFTER THAT - she voluntarily got involved with an on-going sexual relationship with her father for over 20 years.

YUCK - she is normalizing incest. She is not saying she was raped as a child.

So what is the point of talking about this? Most 19 years old, who had NOT been previously raped or molested by their father, would - I hope - have a totally different reaction to rape.

Posted by: Amelia5 | September 23, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Amelia5 I think the difficulty is you are seeing her as a normal 19 year old until this thing (may have) occurred. It is possible, but unlikely. What 'normal' 19 year old would be totally strung out and getting married in the first place.

Normal behavior wouldn't be something she'd be used to or expect and it would be likely that 'normal' parenting wasn't a part of her first 19 years. So her frame of reference for how to describe her life may be rather skewed...

If it is true, she has my sympathy, she ever had a chance.

Posted by: LTL1 | September 23, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

never...

She never had a chance

Posted by: LTL1 | September 23, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Amelia and LTL - I wondered if it could be some kind of Stockholm Syndrom type reaction. I am just really unsure whether it's even possible for even a grown child to have a consensual incestuous relationship...but whatever, I stand by my earloer comment, Ms. Phillips needs mucho therapy right freaking now. Do not pass go.

Posted by: VaLGaL | September 23, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I have sympathy for Mackenzie - and blame for Daddy who introduced her to drugs and raped her, much the same way I pity Robert Downey, Jr. whose father admitted to giving him drugs before Robert, Jr. was even 10 years old.

BUT - WHAT is the point of Mackenzie publically describing her on-going consensual sexual relationship with her father? Is it b/c the rest of us didn't know that would be bad? Is it to convince us that the dead Papa was a sick pervert? Is it to make his other children hate him? What's the point?

Is THIS her therapy? If so, it doesn't seem so much theraputic as it is disgusting and creepy. And in the days of Old Meghan Fox making one outrageous claim after another, it smacks of oneupsmanship to me. YUCK.

Posted by: Amelia5 | September 23, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I hear that Amelia. And, after another bout of the ewwww-gross-gross-gross shudders, I started to ask myself the same question: If it was really consensual, then why tell anyone about it ever? If it was what you wanted to do (ew.) then it's really no one else's business, right? So, yeah, I agree, it's gross and creepy that this is in the media no matter what the true facts are.

Posted by: VaLGaL | September 23, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Waiting for byoolin to bring the snark with some revised Mamas & Papas lyrics...

Posted by: jaybbub | September 23, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

All the leaves are brown
And the sky is gray
So I'll sleep with my daughter
Every single day.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | September 23, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

"Kirk Cameron attempts to debunk Darwin's 'Origin of the Species.'"

Uh, that would be "The Origin of Species."

Posted by: kjohnson3 | September 23, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

I think John Phillips' greater sin was turning his daughter into a drug addict. The incest is just icing on the crap cake.

I think she should call it rape. The press has no problem calling the first contact as "rape" so I think the people have spoken on that matter.

As for therapy, she's been in rehab several times, just completing a stint in 2008. And phrases like, "he had no boundaries" sounds like a lot of psychospeak to me.

I think when you've spent most of your life in a drug addled haze, formulating rational conclusions about weird and traumatic events becomes rather futile.

Posted by: mdreader01 | September 23, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Celebs can afford traditional therapy -- you know, the kind where the patient and the therapist are alone in a room behind a closed door and everything is confidential? Why is it so many of them think we, the public, are their free therapy group? Ugh. Mackenzie is just one of a long string of celebs who need to zip it.

Re. Kirk C.: Poor Charles Darwin must be spinning in his grave at this proof that "survival of the fittest" has gone completely off the rails.

Posted by: Californian11 | September 23, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Okay.........If you are 25 years old and sleeping with your father ...STOP and go get help NOW!!!!!!! There are soldiers dying for this country at 19 and at that age she didn't know you dont sleep with your father???!!! WTF? The people who are excusing this are the sick ones.

Posted by: davis_renee | September 23, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

hey look john phillips' favorite book is lolita! favaholic.com/people/681-john-phillips or is it? rofl

Posted by: jasclifford | September 24, 2009 12:37 AM | Report abuse

Please, you can't possible think that Ms. Phillips didn't lose some of her sense and soul while doing drugs with her father. She was not, at 19, in her right mind. She was already lost from years of abuse of some kind or another by her father in my opinion. I think it is true. Lots of people are weak and taken advantage of. A father or father figure can hold a lot of power over a child. thanks for most of you trying not to snark on such a subject.

Posted by: shejoy | September 25, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse