Posted at 11:45 AM ET, 09/ 1/2009

Madonna In a League of Her Own?

By Liz Kelly

Madonna takes the stage in Montreal on the Canadian leg of her Sticky and Sweet tour. (AP)

Madonna may be 51, but her songs are still club staples and her Sticky and Sweet tour, which ends tomorrow, is the highest grossing tour by a solo artist ever.

In the new single "Celebrate" Madge sings "If it makes you feel good, then do it." And there's no doubt that she's enjoying herself. Why not? Recently divorced, dating a 22-year-old model and in ridiculous shape (whether you like her arms or not), she's managed to hold on to her pop dominance while lesser -- and younger -- challengers rise and fall in her wake.

But watching the song's leaked video (NSFW), my reaction skipped over the same old questions -- Is the bump-and-grind routine age-appropriate? Does age even matter anymore? -- to wonder why Madonna hasn't welcomed her peers to the party.

Shouldn't Madonna -- who should be fiercely proud of being so in shape and so ridiculously hip at 51 -- surround herself with other equally-hip middle-agers? Is there no one over the age of 35 who would have fit into the crowd scene -- totally composed of 20-somethings -- in this video? If Madge embodies the spirit of ditching stereotypical notions of age, shouldn't she also be widening the spotlight to include, well, her peers?

That was my reaction. My friend Rocci's was a bit different: "Crotch grabbing... What's new?"

Share yours below...

By Liz Kelly  | September 1, 2009; 11:45 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Chris Brown Says He Does Remember Assault
Next: Spencer Pratt Changing His Name to 'King Spencer Pratt'; LeAnn Rimes Divorcing

Comments

Madonna's drive is amazing...those arms didn't happen overnight. BUT it doesn't change the fact that she's one of the most over-hyped performers EVER! I think her peers realize that....the 20 somethings are still gullible.

Posted by: MDey | September 1, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I would've titled this post: "Beautiful? Stranger."

If Madonna surrounded herself with equally fit 51-year-olds, it would make her less special. She'd rather be ick nast than just like anyone else. But by surrounding herself with younger people, she makes herself look even older.

I'm all for celebrating yourself at any age. But I won't pay money to see her celebrating hers. And if I did, I'd still be grossed out by the Sticky and Sweet title -- I hope some of her tour earnings are earmarked for the kids' therapy fund.

Oh, and Madge? Retire the frickin' top hat. It's just tired. Like your act.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | September 1, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

td wrote, "She'd rather be ick nast than just like anyone else." That's Madge. Ho can sing, tho.

Posted by: reddragon1 | September 1, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

She surrounds herself with 20 somethings in the mistaken belief it makes her look 20 something. She does not WANT to age gracefully. Hence the insane workouts that give her those gross arms. Rather than accepting age, she is fighting it tooth and nail. Which, ironically, makes her looks older than if she just didn't try so hard to look young.

Posted by: epjd | September 1, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

The comparison between Madonna and other female stars born in 1958 is definitely illuminating. A sample:
Jamie Lee Curtis
Sharon Stone
Michelle Pfeiffer
Meghan Mullaly
Patricia Heaton
Ellen DeGeneres
Andie McDowell
Miranda Richardson
Marg Helgenberger
Holly Hunter
Angela Bassett
Annette Benning

Really, how would Madonna look in the midst of that crowd? I'm thinkin' desperate and stringy. And dignity-challenged.

For the record, I would be happy to look like Michelle Pfeiffer NOW, never mind in 15 years!

Posted by: northgs | September 1, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

That I don't know of anyone getting younger with time (Benjamin Buttons not withstanding), it is sad that Madge is fighting aging gracefully. Look at some of the *older* women who are getting better looking with time; Dame Judi Dench and Meryl Streep come immediately to mind. And I was always a fan of Jessica Tandy.

Posted by: Ann3 | September 1, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Here's one 60 year old ready to sign up. Maybe when she's tired of playing with boys. I enjoyed 51 year old women when I was a twenty-something, and nowadays they seem like Spring chickens. Congrats to Madge for being so hot in her dotage. Come back when you grow up, Meagan Fox et al.

Posted by: kabuki3 | September 1, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

When I read "highest grossing tour," money was not the first thing that came to mind.

Posted by: memphis1 | September 1, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I think she is creepy - and having a 22-year-old boyfriend when you have a 13-year-old daughter is even creepier.

And, for the record, George Clooney dating younger and younger models grosses me out, too.

Posted by: Amelia5 | September 1, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Northgs, that list says it all.

What a great crowd of women acting age appropriately while still being smokin' hot.

Posted by: epjd | September 1, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

=====================

Liz, love you lots, but you need to lay off the tainted cookie dough. I'm still trying to grasp that you actually wrote that.

Substitute "Mick Jagger" or "Steven Tyler" for Madonna and get back to me. Perhaps they should hire 50 year old back-up singers.

So what if she's undignified. Mick and Steven in spandex is undignified, too.

She surrounds herself with 20 somethings. Michael Jackson's entourage was much younger than that.

What's good for the gander must be good for the hen too, no?

Posted by: mdreader01 | September 1, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

But mdreader01 -

all of those people are gross, too. It is icky to see Mick Jagger or Steven Tyler or any of them surrounded with girls who could be their GRAND daughters. Ick. Nast.

So Madonna is just as gross as Mick Jagger - is that a defense?

Posted by: Amelia5 | September 1, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

td, Is Madonna's top hat somehow latent homage to Marlene Dietrich?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 1, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Nosy, she was trying to channel Dietrich years ago. This is nothing new.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | September 1, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, she's pretty ick nast, I think. The stringy over-muscled look makes anyone seem older than they are. And whatever the eff she's done to her face is freaky. Not the good kind of freaky.

And can I get an amen for Amelia5's well-done observation: "There is something unsettling about an individual who cannot sustain a relationship with someone closer in age than a more than 20 year gap."

I agree that George Clooney's "younger waitress-model-whatever" thing makes him look ridiculous, not hot. But then I'm already on record as not buying the whole George adulation anyway.

Posted by: jaybbub | September 1, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

As I recall, Marlene could sing, too.

Posted by: reddragon1 | September 1, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

She is surrounded by all those younger people because people her age don't act and look the way she does.

Posted by: charley42 | September 1, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Lizard Trivia question: Who was Marlene's orchestra arranger/conductor on her last tours?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 1, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

An age appropriate Madonna would be awfully boring and then we wouldn't have anything to snark about.

Posted by: hodie | September 1, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

I don't think there are too many 51-year old dancers that could handle her show anyway.

I saw her "Blonde Ambition" tour back in the early 90's...It was an amazing show, the woman is definitely talented. Yeah, she's kinda creepy, but she doesn't lip synch.

She's going to fight aging tooth and nail. And she's good at it. Leave her alone. Pick on Brittany the psycho, et al.

Posted by: RightWinger1 | September 2, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Madonna can sing only with extensive training and studio help, let's get that straight. And, having seen three shows, she DOES lip synch. A lot.

I love love love Madonna but am bored by her antics and artistry of late. Sticky and Sweet was a lame show, she looks stringy and hungry all the time, and her songs rehash old sounds and lyrics.

Northgs is right: she can't hang with that crowd because she'd be at the bottom of the dignity barrel.

Posted by: TDolla | September 2, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse