Posted at 8:27 AM ET, 09/28/2009

Mischa Barton's New Show Canceled; Chris Brown Gets a Gig

By Liz Kelly
Monday

Headlines: Mischa Barton's new show canceled... Chris Brown gets his first gig since arrest... Conan O'Brien injured filming "Tonight Show" stunt... Brigitte Bardot asks Sophia Loren to give up fur... Andrew Shue engaged to "Today's" Amy Robach.

Married: Khloe Kardashian and Lamar Odom... Jaime Pressly... "Idol" alum Justin Guarini.

Crime Watch: Roman Polanski arrested in Switzerland, facing extradition to U.S... Tawny Kitaen arrested on suspicion of DUI... Man claims he didn't know he was stealing from Kirsten Dunst... Randy Quaid's wife publicly protests "corrupt" arresting officer... Gwen Stefani's London home burglarized.

Pix: Rihanna and a monk.

Rumor Mill: Beyonce has Lindsay Lohan evicted from dressing room... Madonna planning to marry boyfriend Jesus Luz?... Kanye West headed to rehab?... Jude Law bans interviewers from asking about new baby... "Friends" headed for the big screen?

Video: Megan Fox hosts "SNL" season opener...

More: In likely staged clip, Matt Damon freaks out on Adrian Grenier (some NSFW language).

By Liz Kelly  | September 28, 2009; 8:27 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday List: No Talent? No Problem!
Next: Your Take: Parsing Polanski and Phillips

Comments

"Brigitte Bardot asks Sophia Loren to give up fur." Less satisfying than I'd imagined it would be: watching a couple of septuagenarian women bickering while remembering how hot they were fifty years ago.

"Madonna to marry Jesus" reads like something out of an Appalachian bible, doesn't it?

"Friends" movie: if it must happen, please let it be The One Where They Reunite, 'Big Chill'-style, After Ross Commits Suicide.

Posted by: byoolin1 | September 28, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

About time with Roman Polanski. Somehow, I doubt this was his only victim. Just the only one where he got caught. Pedophiles don't just stop.

Good for Jude Law. Kids are off limits.

I didn't know there were a rehab for blowhard jerks.

Posted by: epjd | September 28, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

"Brigitte Bardot asks Sophia Loren to give up fur" -- Add mud and it's a scene from a geriatric "Dynasty" remake. Who'd be Blake Carrington?

"Mischa Barton's new show canceled" -- That's what I get for blinking. Show?

"Kanye West headed to rehab?" -- They said he had to go to rehab but he said no, no, and a whole lot more.

"Tawny Kitaen arrested on suspicion of DUI" -- Poor thing. And after that arrest for suspicion of talent, too. Girl can't catch a break.

"Man claims he didn't know he was stealing from Kirsten Dunst" -- Honest! I thought this was Winona Ryder's house! I mean, SHE steals! Consider it reappropriation of goods! Besides, those "Little Women" actresses all run together for me. I was just telling Trini Alvarado that just last week....

byoolin, Word on the "Friends" movie. I am completely with you on that plot.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | September 28, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Ha ha Roman Polanski. It's about time.

Another horrible part of this crime is what Angelica Housten said (who was in the house during the rape) about how the 13-year-old didn't come across as scared to her.

SHE WAS 13. I hope Polanski comes back to 2 warrents - one for the crime and one for the escape.

Posted by: Amelia5 | September 28, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

OK. Every six months I have to trot this rant out. So here goes, with all due respect to other posters here.

Someone who has sex with a 13-year-old child is NOT A PEDOPHILE. The child was old enough to go through puberty. This is not pedophilia but statutory rape and the two are not the same.

To accuse Roman Polanski of pedophilia and to suggest he'd be a repeat offender is really quite slanderous. So let's be very careful about the language we use when talking about this very sensitive topic.

Posted by: mdreader01 | September 28, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Roman's friends are upset because he is a great talent. No one is saying he didn't consort with a 13-year-old. Which is just sick however you label it. San Quentin awaits.

Dynasty plots were stolen from real European actress feuds.

Applachian bibles also do not use words of more than 5 letters.

Posted by: reddragon1 | September 28, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

epjd- I think the reason Jude refuses to talk about his kid in interviews is because he has told the mother that he does not want any relationship with the baby outside of providing financial support. It's quite sleazy, actually.

Posted by: TigerLily81 | September 28, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I thought Megan Fox did a wonderful job on SNL. However, thanks to the other Celebritologists, I spend most of the show looking at her thumbs.

(U2, not so good.)

Posted by: mdreader01 | September 28, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Fine it is not pedophilia. But, it is not NORMAL for a 43 year old man to want to have sex with a 13 year old girl. And studies show that sex offenders -- whether pedophiles or rapists -- have the highest rate of recividism. I expressed my personal opinion, that people like this sleazeball don't just stop. Because they don't.

Posted by: epjd | September 28, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Let's bring this baby home:

Appalachian Emergency Room

Posted by: jezebel3 | September 28, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

I'm with you on the Roman Polanski thing. When I heard a friend wonder how they could arrest someone of such great talent, I laughed. I was thinking, " would it have been expected or easier if he was just a cr@ppy director."

Yeah, after all these years. This is what can sometimes make our scales of justice a little more equal. Hopefully, he can get his attorneys to arrange an agreeable plea arrangement or sentence of some sort so his victim doesn't have to testify, since she has moved on after all this time.

But he's still a creep!

Re: Kanye in rehab - will we see him on Celebrity Rehab? He's getting so annoying that I'm starting to think he's of that caliber of celeb.

I had to re-read the marrieds: I was wondering why hottie Jaime Pressley would marry Side-Show Bob? (gotta run for coffee.)

Posted by: anonymouslurker | September 28, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Maybe it's the tin foil hat wearing part of me but I find it kind of strange that just days after Susan Atkins dies Roman Polanski was arrested. Not saying there's a connection, just odd.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | September 28, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I saw Jude Law dashing out of his performance of Hamlet on Saturday. Ironically, Sienna Miller is also doing a Broadway show.

My wife got a great picture of Jude, but forget to ask him about all his basterd kids. Missed opportunity.

We also saw a performance of A Steady Rain aka The Hunk Show. Daniel Craig, Hugh Jackman, and two chairs on stage for 90 minutes. Unfortunately, they stay fully clothed the whole time.

I did get some grainy pictures of them leaving the theater. Pics and my review of the show:

Posted by: yellojkt | September 28, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

would it have been expected or easier if he was just a cr@ppy director."

-anonymouslurker

Oh can we please start arresting crappy directors? George Lucas should have to answer to someone for his crimes.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | September 28, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Is there a statute of limitations on statutory rape in CA? If there is, would it matter since he was indicted anyway? What are the legalities of all this? And since when did the Swiss start cooperating with the U.S. authorities?

Posted by: jelo97 | September 28, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Roman Polanski pled guilty. So the Statute of limitations is irrelevant. His guilty plea remains on the books. he fled before he was sentenced. So, all that remains in the legal process is for him to be sentenced and to serve his JAIL time.

Posted by: epjd | September 28, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Oh can we please start arresting crappy directors?
Posted by: DorkusMaximus1

M Night Shameonyou still owes me 2 hours and $7 for The Village. (although he may get some time off for good behavior for Unbreakable.)

Posted by: VaLGaL | September 28, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Whoever directed the Fame remake raped my childhood. In a PG-rated way.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 28, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Anybody hear about the Chris Brown/Pee Wee Herman Collabo? WOW! Who would have thought?!

Posted by: ca123four | September 28, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

yellojkt, was this you?

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | September 28, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

DM1,
Not me. That incident happened Wednesday and we saw the show on Saturday. I'm impressed Jackman stayed in character. He plays a real glass-bowl cop so I can hear him saying that stuff. I was more worried about my wife throwing undergarments on the stage. Now that would have been embarrassing.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 28, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Polanski's offense of morality
Displays a Swiss legal duality:
For him, no escape,
But when bankers rape
Like clockwork, it's time for neutrality.

News Short n' Sweet by JFD8

Posted by: jd121 | September 28, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

We can find Roman Polanski, but Osama bin Laden is still on the loose. Priorities, people.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 28, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: epjd | September 28, 2009 10:48 AM
=======================
Your opinion doesn't make it fact.
=======================

That said, he did plead guilty to the crime, but fled the country because he heard the judge in charge of the case wanted to make an example of him.

Frankly, he made two of his biggest movies while he was a fugitive. So who could blame him for running? Hell, I actually paid money to see "The Piano" so blame me, too.

It will be interesting to see how this shakes out in the end.

What won't be interesting will be the huge jump ball for folks like Nancy Grace and Greta Van Sustern.

Posted by: mdreader01 | September 28, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Greta used to be an Asst US Atty in DC. She really did go "Hollywood".

Nancy Grace is just a loud-mouthed pontificating shrew. (Did I really say that?)

Posted by: anonymouslurker | September 28, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

"Maybe it's the tin foil hat wearing part of me but I find it kind of strange that just days after Susan Atkins dies Roman Polanski was arrested. Not saying there's a connection, just odd"

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc?

Posted by: Californian11 | September 28, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Whoa, just read the Kardashian (is this the pregnant one?) has only been dating that dude she married for ONE MONTH!!!!

Shall we start the clock now for the tattoos, renewal of vows, "we're just fine" and divorce? Shouldn't take long, given the length of the courtship.

Posted by: Californian11 | September 28, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Hold on there Californian, I married my husband one month after we met. We are still happily married four years later and I don't see that changing. So, while it's not advisable, it is possible.

Posted by: VaLGaL | September 28, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Oh no ValGal is already in the "We're fine" phase. Say it ain't so!

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | September 28, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Ha ha! Maybe we should start planning on renewing our vows or getting matching tatoos... :) Oh, I know! Maybe we should adopt a foreign baby!

Posted by: VaLGaL | September 28, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Hehe ... you're right VaLGaL, I shouldn't assume. :-) That's neat about you & your hubby.

Posted by: Californian11 | September 28, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

But the whole Khole, Kim, etc. group are bizarre anyway - so the pregnant one did NOT get married, but the one who just met a guy did???

That's odd. Is the pregnant one not getting married, too? I blame the parents for giving them such confusing names.

Posted by: Amelia5 | September 28, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Polanski is necessarily a pedophile, as someone said, but I do think in his case it was a weird reaction to the brutal murder of his beloved wife and baby. I have never heard anyone suspect him of anything similar since.

Posted by: msame | September 28, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

...sure wouldn't want to confuse a rapist for a pedophile. Gimme a break!

Posted by: shejoy | September 29, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse