Posted at 7:53 AM ET, 09/15/2009

Swayze Succumbs to Cancer; Kanye Apologizes Again

By Liz Kelly

Tuesday

Headlines: Patrick Swayze succumbs to pancreatic cancer (Gallery | Timeline)... Kanye West seeks absolution for VMA incident on "The Jay Leno Show," blames incident on grief over his mother's death; President Obama calls West a "jackass"... Taylor Swift set to perform on today's "View"... Whitney Houston tells Oprah ex Bobby Brown was "emotionally abusive," spit on her... Jennifer Aniston says her personal life is "no one's business"... Harrison Ford ready for another "Indiana Jones" sequel... Jessica Simpson's dog snatched by coyote... Colin Farrell lashes out at photog who asked Farrell's sister to "move along"... Ukrainian government blocks Elton John's plan to adopt HIV-positive child... "Desperate Housewives" co-star Kathryn Joosten battling lung cancer... Jeremy Piven annoyed by staging of "The Piven Monologues."

Crime Watch: Audrina Patridge gets restraining order against fan.

Rumor Mill: Kate Gosselin and Paula Deen teaming up for their own morning show?... Russell Brand and Katy Perry smooch at post-VMA party.

By Liz Kelly  | September 15, 2009; 7:53 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Patrick Swayze: A Timeline of Career Highs (and Lows)
Next: Hitting the Highlights of the Toronto Film Festival

Comments

Holy cr@p. I agree with Jennifer Anniston. This is surely a once-in-a-lifetime eperience.

Posted by: kbockl | September 15, 2009 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Jennifer Aniston says her personal life is nobody's business...unless it sells movie tickets!

Harrison Ford says he's ready for another Indiana Jones, fans say they're ready for Indy to retire.

Kanye just needs to go away. I can't even think of anything funny to say. I was at the Bonnaroo where he "performed," and was a prima donna, refusing to go onstage if even one other act was on another stage, starting his show 3 hours late (at 4:45 AM!), and regaling the nearby houses with lyrics about "n***ers and gold diggers" at 6 AM Sunday morning while the local folks were getting ready for church. Kanye, you're like school in the summertime; just no class.

Posted by: OrganicGal1 | September 15, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Paula Deen- I love you, do not, NOT team up with KG. That would be a bad bad bad bad move.

I watched the Kanye interview last night and he does seem mostly remorseful... mostly. I loved that Jay asked him what his mother would have said. He talked circles around the question.

I feel badly for JS and her little dog. Poor doggie. I hope she's alive. We had (have?) coyotes around and worried about them being snatched.

Posted by: Guest1234 | September 15, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Swayze Succumbs to Cancer; Kanye Apologizes Again
-Wait, did Kanye kill The Swayze?

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | September 15, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Osteph | September 15, 2009 8:44 AM | Report abuse

My favorite line in Patrick Swayze's NYT obit is at the end:

He also expressed concern about the dangers of Hollywood superficiality. "One of the reasons I bought my ranch was because I didn’t want to hear the hype," he told The A.P. in 1985, referring to his horse ranch in the San Gabriel Mountains. He added, "Your horses don’t lie to you."

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 15, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Way to go Mr. President, I think you've finally managed to unite the country.

Ms. Anniston, we'll stay out of your private life when you stop shoving it in our faces.

So when should I expect to start seeing the previews for Indiana Jones and the Escape from the Geriatric Ward?

The Daily Mail's headline for the Jessica Simpson article is just too good.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | September 15, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

"President Obama calls West a 'jackass'" -- Yes, but what's his view on Colin Ferrell's immaculate conception and/or what Russell Brand calls humor?

"Harrison Ford ready for another 'Indiana Jones' sequel" -- Plot: Indy digs up a hip bone and decides to replace his own with it.

"Whitney Houston tells Oprah ex Bobby Brown was 'emotionally abusive,' spit on her" -- I could say the same thing about Whitney if I had to hear her sing now and was sitting in the front row.

"Jeremy Piven annoyed by staging of "The Piven Monologues" -- I'm annoyed I didn't think of the idea first.

"Kate Gosselin and Paula Deen teaming up for their own morning show?" -- I'd watch if Paula spent the entire hour stuffing food in Kate's mouth so she can't talk.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | September 15, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Jennifer Aniston says her personal life is "no one's business."

Then why have you talked about it so much, Jen? OrganicGal is right on the money calling this one!

"Desperate Housewives" co-star Kathryn Joosten battling lung cancer.

(Also played Mrs. Landingham on "West Wing.") Article says she's a former smoker who beat lung cancer once already, 8 years ago. Joosten comments, "I smoked because it was seen everywhere and done everywhere. I got addicted because the tobacco companies add additives to their tobacco to make it more addictive." Best wishes for a full recovery.

Tuesday love to Patrick Swayze's family. And to our jaybbub, who's been such a loyal fan. Perhaps someone who knows more about show biz (Liz?) can tell us whether the management of a major performer like The Swayze has someone whose job includes tracking daily online postings re their client, so that Swayze might have been apprised of fan support for him during his illness. I'm guessing yes.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 15, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Folks, don't even bother with the so-called "Gallery" - there's not a single picture of a pancreas there. (Just a *little* bit misleading there, don't you think, Liz Kelly?)

Kanye, your mother died - what's the word I'm looking for, here? Oh, yeah - TWO YEARS AGO. If it's still bothering you that much, maybe you should look into grief counselling for some relief. You know, instead of being a jerk.

"President Obama calls West a "jackass"." (That could be the grief talking, though. After all, his dad, mom, and grandparents are dead, even if his dream of being the first foreign communist nazi president are still alive.)

The Star, US, People, TMZ and a hundred websites would say that Jennifer Aniston's personal life is darn good business.

"Harrison Ford ready for another "Indiana Jones" sequel... " Well, at least they won't have to look far for the old multimillion dollar relic.

"Jessica Simpson's dog snatched by coyote... " Joe Simpson issued a statement in which he denied having anything to do with the disappearance and claimed he was busy "staring at Ashlee's cans" when it happened.

"Audrina Patridge gets restraining order against fan." The fan nearly got out of it, though, by starting an argument with the judge about whether it was "duck season" or "Patridge season."

Posted by: byoolin1 | September 15, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Kanye West seeks absolution for VMA incident on "The Jay Leno Show."

Not only did Kanye obviously disrespect Taylor Swift, but in a way he also disrespected Beyoncé too by embarrassing her publicly. BTW, did anyone besides me sense palpable tension between him and Mr. Beyoncé (Jay-Z) during their trio song with Rihanna last night on Jay Leno's show? I hope Kanye gets his act together before it's too late.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 15, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Sorry about that "also...too" construction. I blame Sarah Palin, or at least her Tina Fey doppelgänger. More caffeine needed.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 15, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

The only thing that kept me from crying my eyes out over Patrick Swayze was laughing out loud at Jennifer Aniston. Yep, still chuckling to myself.

Posted by: Beach_Girl | September 15, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Jennifer Aniston says her personal life is "no one's business"...

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, oh Jennifer you kill me...

Posted by: jes11 | September 15, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Love to The Swayze's family. He seemed like a decent, down-to-earth guy who went out too young and in a bad way.

Posted by: northgs | September 15, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Nosy, you have an excellent point re: Jay and Kanye. I'm sure if he so chose, Jay could wipe the floor with Kanye's face - and there are plenty of people who would pay money to see it, too.

Obama calls West a "jack@ss," offends mule lobby.

Paula Deen, it would take more than just a little bit o' butter to make that pairing palatable.

Harrison Ford is ready for another Indiana Jones sequel - this time, he's looking for his hearing aid and his reading glasses. But at least they won't have to work too hard to contrive screen time for the hot young thing playing his nurse...

Posted by: northgs | September 15, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

"Jennifer Aniston says her personal life is "no one's business"..."

Then STFU about it already.

I know I read this blog too much when I heard about Swayze and immediately thought, jaybub must be heart broken. --Osteph

I know! I thought the same thing. I really need to find some real friends.

Posted by: zn123 | September 15, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Osteph--I too thought of jaybub and this goofy blog/comments section when I heard of the Swayze's passing. So yes, love to the Swayze fam.

Quite the astute observation Mr. President.

I love to rag on JSimp as much as anyone here, but if a coyote ate my dog, I'd have to take an assault weapon into the desert and get all Tony Montana on those coyotes. But that's just me.

Posted by: jelo97 | September 15, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

I thought about jaybub too, and I would like to add love to the jaybub to all the love going out to the Swayze family and friends today.

Posted by: VaLGaL | September 15, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and sympathy to Jessica Simpson too. Not a fan but having your doggie pal taken by coyotes is awful. And I hope the doggie is NOT still alive, but passed mercifully quickly - unless he somehow escaped from the coyotes really quickly.

Posted by: VaLGaL | September 15, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Recent Post: "Diablo Cody Talks Scary Movies"

Know what's really scary (or reassuring, depending on one's perspective)? Not. One. Single. Comment.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 15, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Thank God I wasn't the only one who thought of jaybbub last night when I heard the news about Swayze. Like so many others have said- love to the Swayze fan, and to his friends and family, including his wife of 30-some (!) years. We're thinking of you.

Going to have to go with OrganicGal on the Jen Aniston story. I imagine we'll stop hearing about her romantic life the moment it stops getting her publicity...which will hopefully be very soon indeed. And I find Jessica Simpson to be kind of a twit, but I'm still sorry about her dog.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | September 15, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

List of things to do today:

- E-mail for those tickets to attend The Piven Monologues

- Fill out application to be on that new Deen/Gosselin morning, all-mom talk show

- Wonder why Russell Brand isn't more concerned about kissing a woman whose biggest hit was "I Kissed a Girl"

- Finish that letter of recommendation for Elton...Sorry, E. If only I hadn't procrastinated...I swear it won't happen again.

- Find a log on which to practice my cha-cha. I promise not to put my heels down.

Posted by: mdreader01 | September 15, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

President Obama calls West a "jackass"

Wonder what he calls Steve-O...

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 15, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

i'm with val... we know simpson is a ditz - we've known that for years... but no one needs to be laughed at because they're grief stricken over having their pet eaten in front of them

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | September 15, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

"Jessica Simpson's dog snatched by coyote..."

Iman questioned by police.

Posted by: MStreet1 | September 15, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

It's such a sad day.

But also funny, 'cause y'all are feeling lame for thinking of me! And if you only knew how lame I am in real life! (My kids would emphatically confirm this.)

The Swayze and Mrs. The Swayze seemed like real people who had a real marriage and a real life, away from the Hollywood insanity. I love that about them.

May we all continue to never put Baby in a corner.

Posted by: jaybbub | September 15, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

And may we all remember his most outstanding, most memorable performance, with Chris Farley on SNL. That clip still does me in!

Posted by: jaybbub | September 15, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Props to byoo for possibly the Comment o' the Decade:

Prayers to the Swayzes...

Posted by: memphis1 | September 15, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

OMG! Jay Leno has a new show? I hadn't heard.

Posted by: memphis1 | September 15, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Jay Leno's new show is so much like the old one that I'd call it TV Comfort Food. This is not necessarily a bad thing, though.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 15, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

For a little diversion:

I'm hoping Producer Paul will have located some excellent photos in time for the Thursday afternoon chat.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 15, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Osteph | September 15, 2009 8:44 AM | Report abuse

*************************
I mostly lurk than post, but I thought the exact same thing!

Posted by: suzannepdc | September 15, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Spent way too much time preparing comments only to have them "Reviewed for content" so I guess I'll summarize.

- Condolences to the Swayze family and number one fan jaybub
- Like that the Prez calls it as he sees it and this time we saw the same thing
-sorry for Jessica but the Wyle E. Coyote twitter was funny. props to byoolin for continuing the LooneyTunes fun with the hunting season Patridge comment.
-hey y'all Kate G has a way of turning Paula's cooking into diet food. Add a heaping tsp of bitterness.

crossing fingers...

Posted by: hodie | September 15, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

"Jessica Simpson's dog snatched by coyote..."

Iman questioned by police.

Posted by: MStreet1

---------------------------------------------

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | September 15, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

byoolin

But now Dan Quayle is starting to worry, especially now that Dick Cheney is cleaning his shotgun in preparation for lawyer season.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 15, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Gosh, I hope Cryptid season isn't coming up any time soon. Sarah Palin might want to hunt them from a helicopter.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 15, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

What is it, sad news day? RIP Patrick Swayze. RIP Jessica Simpson's dog, poor little thing. And I loved Kathryn Joosten (aka Mrs. Landingham) on The West Wing. Hope she will be OK but lung cancer ... doesn't look good. :-(

Last night on The Weather Channel, their producer did a spoof of the Kanye West thing. It was hilarious!

Posted by: Californian11 | September 15, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

"the first foreign communist nazi president" ... WTF??? 'splain please, byoo ...

Posted by: Californian11 | September 15, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Snip and glue.

Posted by: wiatrol | September 15, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

We should all have "A Patrick Swayze Christmas" this holiday in honor of the Swayze!

Add me to the list of people that though of jaybub. As someone else said, the Swayzes seemed like real folks, not some Hollywood concoction like the CruiseBeckhams.

It's a shame they never had any children so that dancing talent & cheekbone structure could live on.

Posted by: wadejg | September 15, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Californian,
The Weather Channel!? How funny! Do you have a link?

Posted by: hodie | September 15, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, couldn't find a link but it may show up on YouTube in the next few days. It was so funny ... I was watching as they were talking about mosquitoes and weather, and suddenly this producer guy with dark glasses bursts onto the set, interrupts Alexandra Steele and her co-host, and says something like "Stephanie Abrams is the best!!! The BEST!!!" (He probably used the exact verbiage Kanye did.) He was then escorted off the set.

Posted by: Californian11 | September 15, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

2 celebritology blurbs in one:

Posted by: atb2 | September 15, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nosy_Parker |
------------------------------------------
I'll alert the Alaskan brethren.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | September 15, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I bet the "Alaskan brethren" can outsmart her.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 15, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

"I bet the "Alaskan brethren" can outsmart her."

That's like shooting fish in a barrel ...

Posted by: Californian11 | September 15, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

2 celebritology blurbs in one: http://twitpic.com/hskfi --atb2

That's terrible! (But very funny.)

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | September 15, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Californian
That's like shooting fish in a barrel ...

Oh great, and now we'll be hearing from the pro-fish lobby!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 15, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Sarah will no doubt shoot them too. From a helicopter.

Posted by: Californian11 | September 15, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin has already shot herself in both her left feet, which is some feat if you believe Levi's story that she doesn't know a shotgun from Shinola.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | September 15, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Californian11

****

Well, the first part sounded pretty sympathetic to the C-in-C, and I like my lame jokes to reach across the political spectrum. (That way they're more likely to be reading when I mock 'em later.)

Posted by: byoolin1 | September 15, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot

****

Unless you assume that she was trying to polish her shoes.

Posted by: byoolin1 | September 15, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm...

Shinola

24 self-chambering rounds
Enough to treat 12 pairs of shoes

Color: 12-gauge shot-peen

Byoo' you were referring to shoes and not "shoes," correct?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | September 15, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Oh great, and now we'll be hearing from the pro-fish lobby!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker

------------------------------------------
Not to mention the barrel barristers.

Hey! Who's turn in the barrel is it?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | September 15, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Late to the party. Jury duty all day. They knew I wouldn't get picked for a jury but made me sit around all day.

Yeah, I even apologized to jaybub for the Swayze dying when I posted last night. But, you know that is why I keep coming back. We're family.

Posted by: epjd | September 15, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

You're a good citizen, ep. The only time I've gotten called for jury duty, the same thing happened to me. I felt slightly insulted when, once I made it into the final pool of the day, the defense attorney found me an unacceptable potential juror.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 15, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Hey Kanye, you can be sure you're no longer a celebrity and Ms Swift surely does not need your "help" and none of us believe you just wanted to "help" the awards show. You can watch your CD sales start to tank now and worse every time you open your fool mouth and make another messed up, fumbling non-apology apology....what a jerk.....get this Kanye NOBODY LIKES YOU, YOU DON'T GET IT, go crawl under a rock and don't come out for ten years maybe this will go away. By the way, what were you high on? Oh yeah once a ghetto crack head always a ghetto crack head....say maybe you can get Serena William's apology writer to help you out, maybe you can give Ms. Swift a "big ol hug".....so sorry for you we're all really sure it was "your mom died" Guess that makes it your mother's fault, come up with some other excuses like, um, maybe your just too passionate, yeah that's it it was your passion that did it...

Posted by: Watcher1 | September 15, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse