Posted at 11:00 AM ET, 10/ 7/2009

Beyonce Gives Kanye a Pass for VMA Rant

By Liz Kelly

Unfortunately for Beyonce Knowles, she just couldn't leave well enough alone. Over the weekend she finally commented on September's Kanye West VMA incident. Doubtless, you recall the diss heard 'round the world:

(If you can't view the video above, you may be missing out on your 1,342,232nd viewing of West's storming of the stage to interrupt Taylor Swift's Best Female Video award speech to protest that Beyonce should have won.)

Speaking to Oprah lackey Gayle King backstage at the Billboard Awards, Beyonce downplayed West's bad behavior, excusing him in the name of "art":

"Well, I knew his intentions, and I knew he was standing up for art; and he told me before, when they said the nominees, he's like, 'You have this award.' When they didn't call my name, he was, like, completely shocked. And when he walked on the stage, I was like, 'No, no, no!' and then he spoke, and I was like, 'Oh, no, no, no!' But in the end, it ended up being a great night, and Taylor Swift did get her moment -- and I didn't have to make an acceptance speech."

Sorry, but based on West's history of disrupting award shows -- usually to protest his own losses -- he's the guy who cried "art" one too many times. Beyonce should have remained above the fray. Up to this point, she came off as another victim in this ridiculous debacle. Now she seems -- if not complicit -- at least a little insensitive to Swift's undeserved mortification.

What do you think?

By Liz Kelly  | October 7, 2009; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Insta-Polls
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Liz Taylor Tweets Heart Surgery News; Mel Gibson's Record Cleared
Next: Michael Vick Lands TV Show; Ex Calls Madonna 'Retarded'

Comments

If she HAD to comment, she would have been better off just saying "It should not have happened." Period. By trying to explain, she not only excuses Kanye but takes away from her classy moment in giving her time up for Ms. Swift.

With her comment, not it is all about her "Hey I didn't have to speak." Seems like she is glad it happened and it wasn't class as the reason to give up her time, but avoiding speaking herself.

Posted by: epjd | October 7, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Oh, please Beyonce. Kanye was standing up for his opinion, not for 'art.'

He cares about your 'art' as much as he cares about the plight of New Orleans, which is only enough to make embarrassing public declarations about it.

Posted by: mdreader01 | October 7, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Of COURSE! THAT explains it! Silly us.
This also explains what all those nice people having been trying to get us to understand about defending Roman Polanski -raping a 13yr old was "standing up for art", Great Artist that he is (thank you Red!).
Beyonce, Beyonce, Beyonce. just. shut. up. you were doing so well up to this point, so sad you had to say this.

Posted by: agog1 | October 7, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Ugh! She *was* a class act for giving up the stage for Taylor Swift during her own acceptance speech. It's not quite so shiny an act now. She just should have kept her mouth shut about it.

Posted by: DCCubefarm | October 7, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Open mouth, insert foot.

(Although I was very tempted by the "We're still talking about this?" option.)

Posted by: northgs | October 7, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

wait...
beyonce's video was art?

art?

really?

well... having been to the Blanton and seen Horizontals Tiered I suppose her video is just as artistic. *cough*

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | October 7, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

quintilius, maybe Beyonce's video is more appropriate in something like Art on Fifth? (With apologies to all those who have no idea what we are talking about).

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | October 7, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Taylor Swift is really cute. She's also about 12.

no prob, agog.

Posted by: reddragon1 | October 7, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Beyonce, this was a situation in which discretion really was the better part of valor. Her silly statement also sounds like sour grapes. Bad move.

Posted by: Californian11 | October 7, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, I'm not going to rip into Beyonce for this one. She stood up when she needed to and totally gets kudos for that. This doesn't take away from that - I'm sorry, but she's commenting on something that happened like a month ago. Not exactly ancient history, but she's talking about one of her friends, and we don't know what has passed between them in terms of apologies and whatnot since then. And I was beyond outraged by what West did - to me it was an experienced professional bullying a young girl, and utterly inexcusable and cruel. But no, I don't think that Beyonce trying to minimize the incident weeks later is necessarily in poor taste. I mean, this isn't Roman Polanski raping a child (which has been grotesquely minimized by old Hollywood) - somebody's award moment got disrupted by a boor and their career got a huge boost. It was awful, but I'm going to save my lingering outrage for actual criminals. Nothing is gained by digging up this ridiculous event again, just to start pointing fingers at people over their post-game comments. Good lord.

Posted by: jrzwrld | October 7, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse