Posted at 11:20 AM ET, 10/30/2009

Celebrity-inspired Halloween horror

By Liz Kelly

The "Eight is Too Much" wig. (Courtesy BuyCostumes.com)

With Halloween right around the corner -- literally -- we again turn to the world of celebrity for a little last-minute inspiration. Lady Gaga recommends lots of latex, wigs and "purple shampoo" for revelers hoping to channel her signature wackadoodle style. Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt have gone Gosselin in what will likely be one of this year's more popular costumes. But, armed with a little creativity and a minimum of bucks, you too can channel one of this year's most recognizable celebs. Our top ideas:

1. Jon & Kate Gosselin: Okay, so Speidi beat us to the punch, but what could be easier than shearing a cheap blond wig into an asymmetrical cut, throwing on an Ed Hardy knock off and carrying around eight dolls?

2. Speidi: While Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt are busy channeling Jon and Kate, a bathing suit and surgical mask is all an enterprising couple needs to refashion themselves as honeymooning Heincer.

3. Michael Jackson: It's human nature to want to, umm, honor the King of Pop. So grab a fedora and a glitter glove and get to the party. Note: You may want to avoid large gatherings of children.

4. Interrupting Kanye: Thanks to the '80s fashion revival, it'll be easy to find a pair of Kanye-esque sun shades. Just make sure to carry a bottle of Hennessey and memorize these words, which you can repurpose again and again to the delight of everyone in your immediate vicinity: "Yo [insert name here], I'm really happy for you, I'll let you finish, but [insert another name here] has one of the best [blanks] of all time."

5. Zom-Beyonce: Okay, so the idea was born from this ridiculously funny video of zombies dancing to "Single Ladies." But take the concept one step further and you've got an easy yet effective costume. All you'll need is a black leotard, a metallic hand thingamagig and a taste for brains.

Not planning to costume up this year? That's okay -- maybe you'd rather carve a celeb-inspired pumpkin or get a good scare courtesy of these PhotoShopped pix of celebs as vampires.

I turn this back to you: What are your ideas for last-minute celebrity costumes? Share in comments.

Photo Gallery: Upload your pics to our Washington-themed Halloween gallery

By Liz Kelly  | October 30, 2009; 11:20 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 'Fan' threatens to kill cat unless Miley Cyrus returns to Twitter
Next: Mel Gibson's girlfriend gives birth; Lilo slams pop via Twitter

Comments

I just looked around the corner, and I did not see anything that could be described as "Halloween". Are you talking about a different corner, around which Halloween might literally be found?

Posted by: WDC2 | October 30, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

For pregnant women:

Foil blanket (one from a marathon ideal), or other shimmery, silvery cloth, fashioned into a parachute or otherwise enveloping cloth.

Voila! You are the Heene family balloon - no one knows if there is a boy inside!

Posted by: ljcmpls | October 30, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Johnny Depp gets vamped out & is STILL hotter than the surface of the sun!!

Harrison Ford & Deniro don't look any different.

Posted by: wadejg | October 30, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

I couldn't pull off Kanye.

But I could put on a three-piece suit, a bad toupee and get one of those ball-on-a-stick microphones that were popular in the 70s, and read from an index card, "Kanye said, 'Yo [insert name here], I'm really happy for you, I'll let you finish, but [insert another name here] has one of the best [blanks] of all time.'"

Voila! Gene Rayburn hosts Match Game...

Posted by: byoolin1 | October 30, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

If you're going to do Kate Gosselin, at least add something like a nurse's cap or a "The View" mug. Like her or hate her, at least the costume clearly says who it is.

Michael Kors: Fake orange tan, black jacket, black t-shirt, black jeans, black shoes. Utter "that crotch is insane" to the occasional partygoer.

David Letterman: Gap tooth, graying hair, suit, cigar, carry a "Top Ten List of Redecorating Ideas for My Secret On-Set Bedroom That No One Knows About."

Malawi Madonna: Blonde wig with dark roots, teenage clothing, draw on veiny arms, wear a halo, carry a light bulb and/or extension cord.

Tom Cruise: Carry a baby doll wearing a dress and 3" heels and arrive handcuffed to a taller sad-looking woman with short dark hair. Make comments about gay people, jump on couch, smile too broadly, laugh for no reason.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | October 30, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Arnold Schwarzenegger and Maria Shriver: Fake muscles, cigar and Austrian accent for him, steering wheel and multiple cell phones for her.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | October 30, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

my standby is beth from dog the bounty hunter. tight, cleavage revealing clothes, stripper heels, some sparkly and/or pink handcuffs, fake nails and a HUGE bleach blond wig and voila.

Posted by: eet7e | October 30, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Sticking to the reality show theme...

Get extra-large cutlets for your bra and where something too tight, too short, and very revealing and be a Real Housewife of (name your town). The key is to choose and expensive outfit that looks cheap.

An idea for the guys, where a cool leather jacket with dark colored turtle neck. Spike the hair a little. Greet your guests at the door with an ethnic appearing babe in traditional dress at your side. When your guest arrive, raise one eyebrow and say " You are the last couple to arrive. I'm sorry to say you have been eliminated from my party."

Posted by: hodie2 | October 30, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Darn, where are my editors when I need them. Should say "wear" not "where"!

Posted by: hodie2 | October 30, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I know I shouldn't encourage them, but Speidi actually made me laugh (a little) with their costume.

Posted by: StuckatWork | October 30, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

OK, it's not a costume idea but check out this photo of Adam Lambert. Is it me, or does his haircut look exactly like Kate Gosselin's? maybe he died his Kate wig black.

Posted by: Hunter | October 30, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Squeeeee Hodie. I know exactly who that is. Squeeeeeeeee.

Of course, water wings, whining and a bikini and we all know who you would be. Abusive boyfriend is optional.

Posted by: epjd | October 30, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Not sure I could pull off the bikini and water wings look, ep but maybe a friend and I could go as some bowling moms.

Posted by: hodie2 | October 30, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

TD, since you mentioned Michael Kors, check this out. Fashion designers dressed up for Halloween (and speaking of fake orange tans, Roberto Cavalli does a mean Karl Lagerfeld.) My favorite, however, is Marc Jacobs as a camel toe - as in, the anatomical structure found on the quadruped ruminant.

Posted by: northgs | October 30, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Step 1: Gather a large group of friends. Figure out who weighs the most/ is the most "blobbular". He or she is the whale.

Step 2: Ask your whale to dress in white and everyone else to dress in red.

Step 3: Get your whale drunk enough that he or she has a pleasantly besotted expression on his/her face.

Step 4: Give everyone in red a piece of string or cord and have them tie one end onto their wrist and the other onto your whale somewhere.

Congratulations, you are now the Twitter FailWhale!

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | October 30, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

If one had an old "Bill" mask from Kill Bill, and some fishnets, one could pull together a costume pretty quickly.

Bad suit, New York Jewish accent, lame schtick, whipped-cream pie - you're Soupy Sales!

Blonde wig (long), padded push-up bra, mom jeans with wide belt, tight babydoll Cowboys jersey with Romo's name crossed off the back - you're Jessica Simpson!

Posted by: northgs | October 30, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Oh damn, that's not exactly a celeb, is it? Hmmm. You could go as Robert Pattison: put on a dark sweater and some jeans. Stick your head under a faucet, then drive down the Beltway at 70 mph with the windows open to complete the hairstyle. Voila.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | October 30, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Bawlmer, that's fantastic! I'd be the whale, and it would be way better than my usual costume - a university administrator.

Posted by: northgs | October 30, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

hodie, who are you referencing in your second costume idea? I know I'm going to kick myself when I hear it...In any case, can I join you folks as bowling moms? I'm told that in all black, I make a very convincing bowling ball. >:D

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | October 30, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to wear a gray bushy tail and wrap some extension cords around myself so I can be a Squirrel Caught Up in an Electronic Incident.

Posted by: mat00 | October 30, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

northgs, great site! The camel toe was inspired, ditto Cavalli / Lagerfeld, and James Kaliardos as Donatella Versace made me laugh (though he made her look almost attractive). But Seal as a pirate? Zac Posen as Cruella deVil? Sca-ry!

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | October 30, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Since I just recovered from the swine flu, I'd love to see some one wear a flu-inspired, porcine outfit. Perhaps one buddy could be Ned Beatty with a 2x4, and another buddy could be in tighty whities and pig ears, and "Ned" could whap the porker buddy and yell, "Squeal like a pig!"
You could then have Nurse Kate Gosselin come in with a syringe and vaccinate everyone.

Posted by: possum_pouch | October 30, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Bawlmer, sorry for late reply. My second costume idea was for Phil Keoghan, from the Amazing Race.

Posted by: hodie | November 2, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse