Posted at 11:15 AM ET, 10/14/2009

Sheet Chic? Demi and Pam Should Have Just Said 'No'

By Liz Kelly

Are belted sheets replacing high-waisted jeans as the celebrity fashion slip-up of 2009?

When Pam Anderson (aging "Baywatch" babe) turns up at an event wearing an ill-fitting toga, one can chalk it up to the vagaries of Anderson's taste -- tomorrow she's likely to show up at an art opening without pants.

But, when Demi Moore (former actress, current Twitterer) also walks a red carpet swathed in yards of billowy fabric, all indications point to a trend in the making.

Demi Moore (left) and Pam Anderson -- we promise they're in there somewhere. (Photos: AP and Getty Images)

Anderson's dress was created by Vivienne Westwood (whom Anderson seems to resemble more each day). Not content to rely on just a questionable gown to build buzz, Anderson also enlisted a nine-year-old to carry her train. Said one attendee at the event -- the Hollywood Style Awards) "She [the nine-year-old] didn't even have her own seat and had to sit at Pamela's feet, where people nearly stepped on her to get to the stage."

No word yet on who to blame for Demi's grey shroud, though its unfortunate cut gave Demi every appearance of a beer gut or, more likely, fodder for baby bump rumors.

By Liz Kelly  | October 14, 2009; 11:15 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Fashion
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jon Gosselin Ordered to Return $180K; Jesse McCartney Forgets National Anthem Lyrics
Next: Jessica Simpson Gets Apology for NFL Ad Mocking Her Weight; Avril Lavigne Divorcing

Comments

Pammie's outfit looked familiar - and then I realized it's exactly how my mom looked when she came back from the bathroom in her hospital room the other day.

Posted by: byoolin1 | October 14, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

(My mom is recovering nicely. Jury's still out on Pam, I think.)

Posted by: byoolin1 | October 14, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

As the song says, satin sheets are very romantic. Looks like Kid Rock and Ashton Kutcher just found out what happens when they're not there.

Although that said, I'm surprised to see that Pam is the pink-bedsheet type. I would have thought black or crimson. Or maybe leopard print.

Posted by: northgs | October 14, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Lord, the billowy clothed 80s (when both Demi and Pam were relevant) are back. Why do designers hate women's bodies?

As for that poor child, someone needs to explain to her about the 13th Amendment.

Posted by: epjd | October 14, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Someone should tell Pammy that when you have one of those little threads hanging from your garment, you should NEVER EVER pull it.

Posted by: hodie | October 14, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

"No word yet on who to blame for Demi's grey shroud, though it's unfortunate cut gave Demi every appearance of a beer gut"

Beer Gut is a heck of a name for a band.

Posted by: jezebel3 | October 14, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

These women starve and cut up their bodies to retain their 20-year old self's shape and then they wear loose, billowy bedsheets. It doesn't make sense.

Posted by: LittleRed1 | October 14, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Ha! ep check this out:

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | October 14, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Demi's dress at least looks like if it was belted right, it would look good, in a 1940's sort of way. Pam's dress isn't a dress, it's just... weird. Kind of like a pantaloon with a tail, that got cut and pinned, and she walked out before they had time to fix it. There's weird, interesting, then there's just weird, like this.

Posted by: agog1 | October 14, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Demi looks like her chest fell about a foot from its starting position. Her plastic surgeon apparently is pulling in the wrong direction.

Pam looks like she tried to evacuate a burning building by tying a bedsheet around her and jumping, then just kept going.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | October 14, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Great style for those days when I forget to set the alarm.

Posted by: kirstenpaulson | October 14, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

When did Vivienne Westwood hire Blayne Walsh*?

*Project Runway, Season 5 contestant, kicked off for sending leather strapped fabric on a model during the "Zodiac Sign" challenge.

Posted by: mdreader01 | October 14, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Ahahahaha. You all are in top form today!

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | October 14, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I say sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | October 14, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I agree w/td. demi looks like she had a blowout in one of her, er, shoes.

Pam just looks all-around trashy. Like she got caught in a married man's bedroom and had to climb out the window wearing nothing but a sheet...

Posted by: dablues1 | October 14, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

And, when will the design world and women who should know better figure out that the ugly gladiator and ankle strap shoes cut your legs into unattractive segments and make you look NOT long and lean but SHORT AND STUMPY!?!?!?

Posted by: LBinVA | October 14, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the link Dorkus.

See, I am not the only one who saw human trafficking here.

I would say what was Pam thinking. But, well, Pam and think don't go together.

Posted by: epjd | October 14, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Demi, Please call January Jones' (or is it GQ's) photographer.

Posted by: reddragon1 | October 14, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I am not customarily an 'event' goer, nor am I customarily a Demi apologist, but I happened to be at this event last night and must admit that both Demi and her dress looked gorgeous. I think she may be suffering from an unfortunate camera angle in the attached pic, as she looked trim and leggy up close.

I have no excuses to make for dear Pammy.

Posted by: MrsDre | October 14, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

These remind me of the Carol Burnett show when she would do Scarlett O'Hara in "Gone with the Wind" and would walk down the big staircase wearing the drapes WITH the curtain rod still in them.....

(Pam just looks like she got in a fight with a roll of toilet paper.)

Posted by: anonymouslurker | October 14, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

(Pam just looks like she got in a fight with a roll of toilet paper.)

Posted by: anonymouslurker
----------------------------------------
If we think about that metaphor......

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | October 14, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Simile, dear Cryptid.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | October 14, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

I thought this was going to be a story on breast implants.

Posted by: scoob1900 | October 14, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

I will say that's a great color on Demi Moore (and I want those shoes), which makes me wonder if it was one of those dresses that looked better in person. But she should have known better, anyway.

Pam Anderson is not known for quiet elegant taste, so I don't really care.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | October 14, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

are we really calling Demi Moore a "former actress" now? IMDB lists her as in 4 movies in 2009, and several in 2007 before that....

Posted by: westenddc | October 15, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Both of them (Demi and Pam) should find who designed the little girl's dress and beg for guidance. On the other hand, I would like to find out whoever is the guardian of that little girl and ask them "what were you thinking?"

Posted by: Beach_Girl | October 16, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse