Posted at 10:31 AM ET, 11/ 4/2009

Brad Pitt's beard beads: Love 'em or hate 'em?

By Liz Kelly

Somewhere in the fashion void that lies between ZZ Top's Billy Gibbons and Captain Jack Sparrow, Brad Pitt now rests comfortably -- challenging us to scoff at his sassy beard beads.

Pitt shows off his new accessorized goatee at the Tokyo premiere of 'Inglorious Basterds.' (Pix: AP, Getty Images)

Well, scoff I must.

I was always a bigger fan of scuzzwad Brad Pitt (think "12 Monkeys") than matinee idol Brad Pitt ("A River Runs Through It"). It's as if the guy is almost too good looking and needs a dimming patina of scruff to make his classic outlines visible to the mortal eye. So I can get behind the I don't brush my hair thing, the Charles Manson look, even the street map-ish tattoo.

Now I'm no facial hair expert, but Pitt is -- as far as I can tell -- sporting some kind of modified "French fork." But instead of adding a touch of whimsy, the beads seem more suited to a mid-life crisis. Or perhaps a bold bid for the "Pirates" role Johnny Depp has indicated he won't be continuing past a fourth installment.

I dunno. Between the beads and the monogrammed loafers earlier this year, all signs point to Brad experiencing some kind of break with reality. Here's hoping someone (not Jennifer Aniston, though putting her name here may just push this post up in Google rankings) pulls him back and soon.

By Liz Kelly  | November 4, 2009; 10:31 AM ET
Categories:  Brangelina, Fashion
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Baldwin and Martin to co-host Oscars; Nicole Kidman details kinky past
Next: Rihanna 'embarrassed' about love for Chris Brown

Comments

The Lovely Mrs. byoolin was entirely supportive when I used this (http://tinyurl.com/ykufrrs) image of Brad Pitt to get my most recent haircut.

I suspect she would be less enthusiastic if I were to attempt to model a beard based on this latest look.

Posted by: byoolin1 | November 4, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

On Johnny Depp, maybe. On Brad Pitt, reminds me of Capt. Lou Albano (RIP).

Posted by: kvs09 | November 4, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

I've thought that Brad Pitt's fake wife and every one of Brad Pitt's fake girlfriends was most comely.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | November 4, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I though he did it for a Halloween costume. He might be leaving them in because the kids like them--if so, good for him!

Posted by: FallsChurch4 | November 4, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

My bet is that one of the kids put beads in his beard as a joke once and he said whatever. Either that or it's related to that strange sexual fetish stuff Nicole Kidman keeps blathering on about. Ask her.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | November 4, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I thought the beads were part of his halloween costume.

Posted by: VaLGaL | November 4, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

And, you know, if I could get away with dressing/grooming oddly I might do it too, just to shake things up some.
I still wear pigtails on the weekends, sometimes...it's fun, but it doesn't mean that I have lost my grip on reality or that I would wear them to the office or to court.

Posted by: VaLGaL | November 4, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Not only is it hideous, it's silly. But I had the same thought as Falls Church & td in b'more...the kids probably thought it was cool or fun or what have you. I'm all for pleasing the kiddies but not for a premiere--even one in Tokyo.

methinks

Posted by: pras40 | November 4, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I like the take someone had this AM that it is all a joke and he is just @#$%ing with the paps.

Posted by: reddragon1 | November 4, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Monday's morning mix headlines links to a photo of the Brangelina brood in costume, with Brad's beaded beard. I'm thinking like FallsChurch, so bravo for Brad for enjoying his kid's enthusiasm. I think it is just fun silliness, imagining he does too. There are much worse things in life than enjoying a bit of nonsense, especially if it delights the kids (an assumption on my part, but not a ridiculous possibility). So I love it, just for that.

Posted by: agog1 | November 4, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Yes, keeping them for a premiere would be in the things-I-can-get-away-with-cause-I'm-Brad-Pitt department. oh well. It still amuses me (and him, apparently), so I'm sticking with the I love it, just for that reason.

Posted by: agog1 | November 4, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

methinks, agog and valgal have it right. It is silly, and BP is self-deprecating which is way more than you can say about most celebs (are you reading this, Wee Tom?)

Posted by: reddragon1 | November 4, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I like the idea that it's a joke too- like a huge prank on TMZ. :D Or may be the "Ocean's Eleven" cast has some sort of "Unsexiest Man Alive" bet going on.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | November 4, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Don't have a problem with it. He is one of those people that no matter what he does, he is still quite attractive.

Posted by: hodie | November 4, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

re: Halloween costume. DJ Lance Rock does not wear a beard. He is a clean-shaven, orange jumpsuit wearing, freaky-haired dance master.

The skeevy beard needs to go. Ick. Nast.

Posted by: TDolla | November 4, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

He lost another bet.

Posted by: jezebel3 | November 4, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Do the beard beads have any impact on oral sex? Is their any word from Angie on this?

Posted by: jezebel3 | November 4, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Ew, ew, ew. He looks like he should be paired with one of the Trollsen twins. The scuzzy homeless-person look is disingenuous on bazillionaires anyway, but it's also just fugly.

Posted by: Californian11 | November 4, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

"...strange sexual fetish stuff Nicole Kidman keeps blathering on about"

Heh? Did I miss something?

Posted by: Californian11 | November 4, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I've got a bigger problem with that hat! I looks like a dirty streched out sock that he pulled onto his head.

Posted by: talleyl | November 4, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jezebel3 |

OK, I am TOTALLY willing to take one for the team here & find out the answer to that question.

Posted by: wadejg | November 4, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jezebel3 |

Posted by: wadejg | November 4, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Must be a Marine.

Posted by: jezebel3 | November 4, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Think he has dreads under that big shapeless cap?

Posted by: Roxie1 | November 4, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I said it back with the monogrammed loafers and I said it this morning:

I personally think this is his way of coping with the constant intrusion in his life of entertainment media and paparazzi. He's going to have coverage and get his picture taken no matter what he's doing, so why not just have fun with it? Silly stuff like this doesn't hurt his box office appeal.

And I forgot who said it, but I agree. I think Brad Pitt is a really excellent character actor stuck in a leading man's body. I prefer him in his quirky roles - it's not that he sucks in his leading man roles, but in things like 12 Monkeys or Snatch he's obviously enjoying himself and it shows up on screen.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | November 4, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

You can take the boy out of the trailer park, but you can't take the trailer park out of the boy.

Posted by: RockiesFan | November 4, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Jez, see when you bring Angie into the mix it totally puts him out of the self-deprecating catagory, b/c the Brangelina Corp. (or country, whichever) is KNOWN to be self-aggrandizing. I think this is a silly, admittedly fugly way of rebelling against that.

And if we believe the tabs he's not having sex with Angie anyway. Even tho he "don't impress" Shania Twain, there are probably plenty of other women he does.

Posted by: reddragon1 | November 4, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Californian11, check the morning post re: Nicole.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | November 4, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Got it! Nicole looks so much better w/ red hair but methinks she's trying a wee bit too hard to be, oh, shocking?

I don't believe for a second that Angie would be in a relationship w/o sex. That's what she's all about. Unless she's found herself a new married man to sink her teeth into ... but the way the paps follow her, that would be exposed in about 2 seconds.

Posted by: Californian11 | November 4, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I suspect Mr Pitt has some kine budz that Angelina isn't wise to.

Posted by: molsonmich | November 5, 2009 8:08 AM | Report abuse