Posted at 10:38 AM ET, 11/25/2009

Demi or not Demi? That is the question

By Liz Kelly

Demi Moore's questioned cover shot. (Photo courtesy W magazine)

Last week, a scandal of minor proportions erupted when photographer Anthony Citrano (among others) claimed that Demi Moore's hot new W magazine cover had not just been PhotoShopped, but PhotoShopped so poorly that she seemed to be missing one hip.

Both Demi and a W spokesperson denied any retouching had taken place and the matter seemed to drift off into the land of headscratchers.

Until today, when pix surfaced of model Anja Rubik wearing the same outfit on the runway. When the image is superimposed over Demi's W cover, well, the similarity isn't exactly exact, but there are some definite correlations.

The heart of the debate seems to be whether a 46-year-old Moore's body could in any way rock that gold Balmain getup as well as the 26-year-old Rubik. The question of the hour seems to be that, although there's no denying Demi is hot, is she that hot? And are we buying her claim that the W cover is unvarnished, unretouched Demi?

-----
Happy Thanksgiving! See you back here on Friday. -- Liz

By Liz Kelly  | November 25, 2009; 10:38 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Fashion
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Michael Lohan leaks Jon Gosselin phone tapes; Donny Osmond wins 'DWTS'
Next: Lilo heads home for Thanksgiving; Oprah to sit down with Obama

Comments

I said it was Rubik, but it is so hard to tell. We need the reverse shot, so we can compare it to Ashton's tweet photo.

Posted by: reddragon1 | November 25, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Of course it is retouched. They retouch EVERYONE on those things. How much is the matter of debate.

Happy Thanksgiving Lizards. I'm thankful I have an acceptable place to get my celebrity fix.

Posted by: epjd | November 25, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

d*mn my IT security folks, can't see the comparative... ah well...

Posted by: LTL1 | November 25, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

It could be that the magazine thinks flat-out replacing someone's body with another person's in a photo isn't the same as retouching the photo.

You know, kind of like how some people think having oral sex isn't really "having sex."

Posted by: dablues1 | November 25, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Originally I offered to perform an in-depth and up close examination of Demi Moore to find where her hip went to. I would like to amend that offer to include a similar study of Anja Rubik, in the name of comparative analysis of course.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | November 25, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

The superimposition does show one thing--Anja Rubik is waaaaay skinny--by inches on Demi. And Demi's arms and legs look normal. Anja's look starved off.

Posted by: mdreader01 | November 25, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Haven't we seen this story before? Seems awfully familiar. I recall the "controversy" about Oprah's head/Ann-Marget's body on the cover of TV Guide.

Posted by: newengland1 | November 25, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I think they both look like skeletons... so I'm going to say someone stuck Demi's head on a skeleton's body.

Posted by: kvs09 | November 25, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

There's GOT to be a Rubik's Cube pun in here somewhere...

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 25, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Of course it's retouched! Just follow either the line of her thigh upwards or the line of her hip downwards and the lines do not, in any way, shape, or form, match up. It's a wonder these celebrities are even recognized in public after having so much re-touching done in photographs. Are we as a nation, that superficial and insecure with ourselves that every photo has to be absolutely, beyond human perfect? What message is this sending to normal people?

Posted by: IrishFox | November 25, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I bet Ted Williams wouldn't mind someone putting his head on another body.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | November 25, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Here's what I don't get: when you look at the series of photos of Anja there's one where she looks like a famine victim, and then another one right next to it where her skin is warm and glowing and although she's still thin, she looks somehow more healthy. Then next shot, once again, sickly and frightening. Is this photoshop too? Lighting?

Posted by: Roxie1 | November 25, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Also - I like how they call that a dress. More like a gladiator skating costume.

Posted by: Roxie1 | November 25, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Roxie, You're right! I believe Angela Nikodinov wore such a costume a few years back, and may have skated to music from "Spartacus."

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 25, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Forgot the "who cares?" option. But in the spirit of things, I'll play Devil's advocate and say it is 100% Demi. Just because I don't mind being fooled once in a while. Hey, I ordered the touch ups on my 14 year old's school pic. Am I a bad Mom because we'd like to remember him at that age with perfect skin? (Wish they had that when I was in school).

Posted by: hodie | November 25, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

hodie, if you could see how air-brushed the graduates' portraits were in my high school yearbook, you'd have thought there was something in my hometown's water that was a universal cure for acne!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 25, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Nosy and hodie, hearing your stories of photo retouching has made me grateful for being from the great town of Lake Woebegon.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | November 25, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Dorkus, maybe the cure is also in the waters of Lake Woebegon?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 25, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I think acne was less of a blight on my high school population than massive hairsprayed bangs.

Posted by: Roxie1 | November 25, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dablues1 | November 25, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

When my husband goes down on me, we're not really having "sex".

Posted by: jezebel3 | November 25, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

LOL Roxie, had the bangs too and braces. Dorkus, can you bottle some of the water for me? Will be cheaper than proactiv.

Posted by: hodie | November 25, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I bet Ted Williams wouldn't mind someone putting his head on another body.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1

--------------------------------------------
If Ted Williams head was on Demi Moore's body, would he/she be able to hit for the cycle?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | November 25, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

The only good thing about high school acne was that I could get pizza all over my face and no one could tell.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | November 25, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Hodie, I imagine we're dating ourselves. Though I think 80s hair persisted longer in certain geographic areas of the US.

Posted by: Roxie1 | November 25, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Demi hasn't been natural since "About Last Night".

Posted by: biffgrifftheoneandonly | November 26, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

==============HTTP://www.fashiongoods.us==========

==============HTTP://www.fashiongoods.us==========

sells clothing,footwear,handbags,Sunglasses,ugg

Our products sell well in Europe and North America.
Our main product list is as follows:
1.Fashion Sports shoes:
Shox,Dunk,Jordan, Air max, Air force,Adidas, Puma,Prada,D&G, Chanel,
Gucci, Lacoste, LouisVuiton,Bape,Evisu,Timberland,ugg,boots,Burberry,
4us,Hogan,Dior,Greedy
Genius,Versace,Convers,Coach,Dsquared,Maurt,etc.
2.Fashion T-Shirt & Jeans & Jacket:
Bape,AF,AAF,BBC,Evsiu,Juicy,GGG,Burberry,ED-Hardy,Chanel,G-Star,Red
monkey,Christian
Audigie,sinful,lacoste,POLO,Armani,Smet,Baby,Levis,Justcavalli,Versace,True
Religion,Artful Dodger,Rock,Coogi,Crown Holder,RMC,etc.
3.Fashion Handbags:
LV , Prada , Chanel ,D&G, Fendi , EDhardy, Burberry , MIUMIU ,
Gucci ,Chloe , Juicy and Chole,Burse,etc.
4.others:brand watches(rolex,Longines...), belt(d&g, gucci, prada,
chanel, burberry.... ), hats, sunglasses etc.
we sincerely hope to establish the business relation with you.
Looking forward your visit.

Our Website: http://www.fashiongoods.us