Posted at 12:01 PM ET, 11/18/2009

Fashion Poll: Helena Bonham Carter -- nightmare before Christmas?

By Liz Kelly

Ahhh, the lovely and talented Helena Bonham Carter was on hand Monday night at a tribute to partner Tim Burton. As has been her wont ever since she coupled up with Burton back in 2001, Bonham Carter arrived looking like nothing so much as an aging goth working girl. Or milkmaid from hell. Or Wednesday Addams after a bender.

(Reuters)

Maybe I'm wrong. Perhaps you find her mussed tresses and corpse-like pallor attractive. Or you think her amazing body of work (everything from "Lady Jane" to "Fight Club" and beyond) gives her license to make a few fashion missteps from time to time. Have a look and vote your conscience below.

By Liz Kelly  | November 18, 2009; 12:01 PM ET
Categories:  Fashion, Insta-Polls
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Johnny Depp dubbed 'Sexiest Man Alive'... again
Next: Will Ferrell tops list of overpaid actors; Gerard Butler recreates Jacko's baby dangle

Comments

Wait, please say that giant flowery thing behind her isn't part of the dress.

Posted by: wadejg | November 18, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

wadejg, I'm not sure it matters...

Posted by: reddragon1 | November 18, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Come on. She's English.

Posted by: kholmes1 | November 18, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

So I guess it's good we can't see her teeth, eh, Holmes?

Posted by: reddragon1 | November 18, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Liz, I sooo wanted to comment on today's Morning Mix, but that doesn't seem to be an option. Has the chat caught your virus?

Posted by: reddragon1 | November 18, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I mean blog.

Posted by: reddragon1 | November 18, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Helena, you are not in one of your partner's movies all the time. You don't have to be in costume off set.

Posted by: epjd | November 18, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Its funny, she is usually wearing such unusual stuff that I forget how beautiful her face is...

Posted by: LTL1 | November 18, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

reddragon, I experience the same problem with today's Morning Mix, too. Not only can't post there, can't view the comments of others. And I was Jonesing for some good snark to keep up my spirits, too!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 18, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I find her whimsical and charming, and so much more interesting than the sheeple who are all dressed in the same designer dresses. (For examples of the same-same people, please reference Go fug's "who fugged it more" category or US Mag's who wore it best")

Posted by: VaLGaL | November 18, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

And I feel like I had some good snark this morning. Lets get Rob Pegoraro on this stat!

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | November 18, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Dorkus, maybe we should just post this morning's snark on this page of the blog, OK?

Or, to quote the saying embroidered on a throw pillow on Alice Roosevelt Longworth's couch, "If you don't have anything nice to say, come sit here beside me"!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 18, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I really like Liz but sometimes wonder what makes her think she is some kind of fashion cop. Helena looks like Helena. While not a look I would choose, I say live and let live.

Posted by: gamecock1 | November 18, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Hey Nosy and Dorkus, I too could not comment on the main post.

-- Totally on board with Johnny Depp as Sexiest Man Alive. Also totally on board with "White Collar"'s Matt Bomer for "Sexiest Rising Star".

--I can't believe Miley Cyrus and I agree about something. Although she sounds hysterical about it. I just can't stand clutzy helpless "heroines" in constant need of rescue.

--That has to be the most uninspired boring movie poster I've ever seen. She's gorgeous and all that, but it's kind of risky to market your movie STRICTLY on the appeal of the star rather than the story.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | November 18, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Taking up Nosy's excellent suggestion, I've got comments on the Morning Mix.

First, that article about the "not too gay" marketing move by Adam Lambert's people doesn't sound all that rumor-ish to me, given that Out is publishing an editor's column on the subject. I hope for the sake of Adam's career that this bites his peeps in the backside, and that he finds new peeps.

If someone really did try an intervention with Lindsey, pity it didn't work - she certainly needs it. However, why was a "close friend" of her father's seemingly involved? Papa Lohan is not exactly a loving, positive influence in her life.

Johnny Depp once again named People Mag's "Sexiest Man Alive" - either the judges are getting older, or the crop of new guys in Hollywood just don't got it. I'm going with the latter.

Posted by: northgs | November 18, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

And I say, wear a fugly dress, expect fugly comments.

Re this AM's snark, Swiss court delays acting on Roman's bail request so that San Quentin can get the cot ready.

Nosy, someone who actually remembers who Alice Blue Gown was! ILU

Posted by: reddragon1 | November 18, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Madonna sets up charity for Brazilian kids...Exactly how much more than a million is a brazilian?

Imagine if Tom Cruise hadn't been replaced by Angelina in Salt. He'd look ridiculous in that wig.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | November 18, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | November 18, 2009 3:02 PM

I don't know, Dorkus. I think it would be pretty funny to see Wee Tom in a Katie Holmes wig. Not so sure I want to see him attempt that pout, though.

Posted by: northgs | November 18, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

reddragon, I recall seeing Alice Blue Gown on Channel 5's "Panorama" back in the early '70s (with co-host Maury Povich, no less!).

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 18, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

reddragon

Isn't Charlie Manson in Q?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 18, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I've always thought HBC was cooler than the other side of the pillow, so I'm inclined to be amused by her quirky sense of style. Not sure why she deliberately makes herself ugly, though -- style doesn't have to actually HIDE natural beauty.

Johnny Depp, Sexiest Man Alive: oh yes indeedy do.

Posted by: Californian11 | November 18, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Salt poster: groan. Plastic surgeons everywhere are eagerly stocking more collagen, waiting for the mass stampede of women wanting ginormous lips and conveniently forgetting the debacles of Lisa Rinna, Meg Ryan and others who have ruined their looks with misshapen duck lips.

Posted by: Californian11 | November 18, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Um, I think I had that dress in 1985.

Posted by: y1776 | November 18, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

reddragon

Isn't Charlie Manson in Q?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 18, 2009 3:14 PM
============
As well as Phil Spector! A three-fer!

Posted by: mdreader01 | November 18, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Except I don't think Manson was implicated in the killing of Spector's wife.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 18, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Liz, that's not a fashion misstep. That's how Helena appears most of the time, so I guess that's the look she's going for.

Posted by: TigerLily81 | November 18, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Criticizing the dress, I understand. Criticizing the woman's natural skin color, I do not.

Posted by: nobody12345 | November 18, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I think she's lovely. When she's in character for a movie, she's dressed and made-up to look like whomever she's playing. She doesn't need to be made-up and dressed to play herself. Burton and Depp don't look all that *glam* either - who cares?
If I could snag a date with HBC, I'd go out with her no matter what she was wearing. Just sayin'...

Posted by: dschalton | November 18, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

I think she's attractive, except that she's starting to get fat, but of course it's not politically correct to notice that (after all, she's a "real woman," not "a stick," and we have to do our part to prevent eating disorders among young girls by not noticing that stars are getting chubby).

What I'm really having trouble getting my head around is a blog like this in the Washington Post. Not just the subject matter, but the style of writing. I don't mind blogs like this, but at the Washington Post? Eeew!

Posted by: mark16 | November 19, 2009 12:25 AM | Report abuse

mark16

Owe, the humanity!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 19, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

I love HBC as much as, if not more than, the next Celebritology reader, but that doesn't mean I can't admit she looks like she woke up on the floor of the after-party of the Class of '89's Homecoming dance and dragged herself directly to the red carpet. Brilliant actress, tho, and she seems like she'd be great to hang out with, whatever she was wearing. As her imaginary friend I'm mentally calling on Stacy & Clinton to start this makeover, stat!

Posted by: talleyl | November 19, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

She looks like she can't give up her Beatrix LaStrange character from HP. Maybe it gets Burton off though, so whatever.

Posted by: auntiemare | November 19, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

She's always been a white shade of pale English rose.

Posted by: dadada | November 19, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Why are you all dancing around the subject of her weight.

She's as broad as a barn now.

At least when she was skinny she had the whole pale, british-waif thing going.

Now, she looks like the goodyear blimp crashed into a second hand clothes store.

Posted by: Ombudsman1 | November 24, 2009 12:45 AM | Report abuse