Posted at 10:08 AM ET, 11/ 3/2009

Kate Gosselin: Addicted to fame, but not exploiting her kids?

By Liz Kelly

Kate Gosselin is addicted to fame. She regrets sniping at estranged husband Jon. She doesn't trust many people. Bottom line: It's hard being Kate. And in a very special interview last night on TLC -- "Kate Gosselin: Her Story" -- we got to hear about her hardships for 60 whole minutes. And yes, I watched so you didn't have to.

While Jon Gosselin is busy dating the daughter of his wife's plastic surgeon and consulting a rabbi in search of a moral compass, Kate talked sniveled to Today's Natalie Morales about her own struggles and how her eight kids are coping with the circus that surrounds their young lives:

Kate on scolding Jon at every possible opportunity: "I was very hard on him and I would never deny that. I felt very much like a lot of weight rested on my shoulders. “I was wrong to treat him that way. Was it good, healthy and wonderful? No. Am I proud of those moments that were captured? No."

Kate on trust issues: "You look around and very close, trusted people who you swear on your life would never ever, ever cash you in, for lack of better words, and those people do that. When people leave your house and tell completely different stories, you tend not to trust people."

Kate on rumors that she had an affair with bodyguard Steve Neild: "Outrageous." And "It is so unthinkable to me that to have to think about it makes me sick...."

Kate on why she's not exploiting her kids: "Coming from a mom who laid on bedrest from the time I found out I was pregnant, seven-weeks pregnant 'til 30 weeks. And absolutely would not put anything in my mouth that would harm them, and fought for every second of their existence. I can tell you that there is nothing that would ever force me to put them in harm's way."

Kate on her "unexpected" celebrity: "I've heard accusations that I set out for this reality show as my paycheck and that I wanted to become some huge celebrity, which I laugh about. It has become our primary source of income, but nobody could have predicted that."

Kate on why it's too late give up her public life and allow her kids some privacy: "We're too far gone. Stepping out of the spotlight when it’s prudent to do so is a good thing."

Kate on her estrangement from husband Jon: "I still wake up every day and I think the phone will ring, and it will be the old Jon."

Did you watch? If so, weigh in below on these pressing questions: Was Kate sincere? Was it icky for NBC's Morales to basically host an hour-long Kate Gosselin softball fest on TLC? Should TLC make good on their promise to finally shut the Gosselin franchise down? Would TLC's doubling up on production of "What Not to Wear" in any way make up for the channel's horrible Gosselin over-saturation?

By Liz Kelly  | November 3, 2009; 10:08 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rihanna speaks out about abuse; Kate Gosselin popped for speeding
Next: Baldwin and Martin to co-host Oscars; Nicole Kidman details kinky past

Comments

Yes more What Not to Wear please! Why has TLC turned into the Family Freak Show channel? What Not to Wear is actually fun to watch and I learn something from it.

Posted by: kvs09 | November 3, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

I'm just exhausted with this stuff. I wish this family could just crawl back under the rock of un-reality.

Posted by: MStreet1 | November 3, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Is anyone still falling for this woman's nonsense? She has used these precious children to obtain the fame and fortune that she craves.
You CAN go back Kate. Just shut up, sell the big mansion, get a real job and we will try to forget we ever saw you.
I lost respect for Natalie Morales.
Why will no one ask this grifter the REAL questions?

Posted by: dtharman | November 3, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

She's so angry, bitter, and clueless, I'M ready to go out and get myself a 22-year-old girlfriend.

Posted by: Regis09 | November 3, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I cosign the "WNTW" revival. In the same realm of shows, did anyone see the episode of How Do I Look? where two friends of a raver/rocker girl brought her in for a makeover, just to have the makeover recipient disown her friends and even host Finola Hughes was disgusted by the end of the show? It was the most uncomfortable light hearted show I'd ever seen.

Posted by: Zamora1 | November 3, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Yes more What Not to Wear, and let's start with Kate's hair. (By the way, I thought she had a new do. This looks like the same machete job she had before).

And re Kate on "cashing in", there is a well know saying that starts "People in glass houses...",you know the one.

Posted by: hodie | November 3, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Wow, talk about taking one for the team, Liz!

Re: Kate on cashing in, I can't wait to see what her kids (especially the older two), have to say about *that* in 20 years.

Now, will the harpy and the himbo she's not quite yet divorced from please crawl back under their respective rocks?

Posted by: northgs | November 3, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Yes I wasted an hour and watched this interview. Poor thing. Healthy kids, parents that are alive (sure wish mine were still here to see my kids),money in the bank, roof over her head. Kate spent the summer vacationing and getting a kitchen remodel. Wow tough life. My good friend's husband is in the hospital with a brain tumor. She has two little kids and two foster teens and she does not complain anywhere near as much as this woman. Divorce is tough, sure, but try having a handicapped child, no family whatsoever, losing a child in a car crash. These are things to cry about.
Oh but she is so selfless. Even though they could have paid off the mortgage on the home they lived in they now have 2 mortgages and Jon's NYC penthouse to pay for which is stupid and wasteful. Kate could support her family in the old home which would have been paid off with a large savings and college funds, and even as a nurse instead of on TV, but no a mansion is a necessity since she wants her kids to have everything handed to them on a silver platter. I bet they will turn out wonderfully with everything being handed to them.

Posted by: katherine9 | November 3, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I tried to watch, but Kate is a complete phony just playing the media to get attention. Parents support large families all over the world without selling their children and their personal lives to the media. Kate cares only about Kate. She refuses to see what she is doing to 8 innocent children. I hope that Jon stops the children from being filmed forever. No one is going to watch sad, pathetic Kate. She has no idea how to sacrifice for her children. A real mother would walk away from this mess, get a smaller home, find a way to support the children, and help 8 children learn about normal life. Kate is useless as a parent, role model, and human being.

Posted by: ConcernedParent-TX | November 3, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Couldn't watch. Loved Jon and Kate Plus 8. Now I just love Plus 8. The children and their interaction with them and their everyday lives was the show. Shut them down - best for the children.

Posted by: rlj1 | November 3, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Stop writing about this trash and go find an artist, actor or playwright to exploit.

Reality TV SUCKS.

Posted by: anarcho-liberal-tarian | November 3, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Is she over-emoting and playing the wronged-wife card? Yes. Is the gratuitous over-exposure damaging for the 8? Surely. But Jon is a ridiculous, immature mimbo who needs to be sequestered on a desert island with his GF, Levi of Palin fame, Paris Hilton & her BF(s), Speidi, and others of their ilk who somehow make a living out of being famously obnoxious.

Personally, I've hated Jon since the (only) episode of Jon+Kate I ever watched - the one where one of the puppies had surgery to remove a bowel obstruction (ingested toy), and when Jon went to pick the dog up at the vet's, he was told to monitor her and not let her run around so as to allow time for the incisions to heal. As soon as the cameras turned back to him outside the vet office, he just shrugged and said, "they're puppies, not much I can do about it", and upon getting home promptly allowed the dog to race off into the yard with the other puppy. The guy shouldn't be trusted with pets, much less kids or a wife/girlfriend - clearly the years of TV exposure have done nothing but enable his self-absorbtion.

Posted by: KS8284 | November 3, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

I find in very interesting that the public has viewed Kate so harshly. As the the mother of eight kids myself I have been amazed by her organization and creative activities and ideas with the kids. I think she has really held it together in light of Jon and his escapades. Why I wonder do we view her so harshly?? I have never seen her due anything harmful to the children. As far as filming is considered while Jon received a paycheck from TLC it was fine. Now he is concerned for his childrens welfare. Kate made an interesting statement, for the first four seasons no problems with the press. Jon gets caught out at a nightclub with another women and the press are all over it. I don't think Kate asked for any of the negative attention they are receiving, I think she just deals with it the best she can. How would I handle raising eight kids with a cheating, selfish husband..let's not go there. Jon has admitted to cleaning out the checking account. So far I don't see where Kate has started any of the publicity or been selfish in her care for the kids.

Posted by: Momof82 | November 3, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I tried to watch, but Kate came across as phony and self serving. She cries to get attention, but there is no real emotion behind them. Parents of large families all over the country are raising their children without the benefit of a reality show. Kate needs to grow up, move to a home that they can afford, and get her kids back to knowing real life without the glare of the cameras filming their lives. This is not normal. She is out to sell her children so that she does not have to really work. How can she talk about the reactions of her children? She obviously cares nothing about their privacy. She will do whatever she can to sell them out for a buck. Kate is clueless about motherhood and the daily sacrifices that mothers of large families make every day. If she cared about anyone but herself, she would get out of the public spot light. It is not too late and she has not gone too far. I hope that Jon is successful in making sure that the children are never filmed again. No one is going to watch a reality show or anything with Kate. She is a joke as a mother and as a human being.

Posted by: ConcernedParent-TX | November 3, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

"You look around and very close, trusted people who you swear on your life would never ever, ever cash you in, for lack of better words, and those people do that."

Umm . . . for example, like when your parents force you and your siblings onto a reality TV show? Like that?

Posted by: dcd1 | November 3, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Anyone that chooses to put themselves on TV in this fashion gets what they deserve, good or bad.

Cry me a river Kate.

As someone else said, there's plenty of people out there worse off than you are Kate, so if you really care for you kids & not the money & big houses, step off that pedestal you seem to think you deserve, get a real job & take care of your kids.

THEY need you, the general TV watching public doesn't.

And once again, thanks Liz for taking a reeeeally big one for the team.

Posted by: wadejg | November 3, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

While I find Kate annoying, I think it's more annoying how much the country wants to hate her. I dont think her behavior is nearly as bad as Jon's. And I don't see why everyone hates her for wanting to provide material things for her children. Why not try to get them the best she can and a lot of great experiences?

Posted by: sunflower571 | November 3, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Mom of 8, I also raised a large family and find Kate's claims of organization ridiculous. She wasn't organized,she was controlling. She is miserable now because she has lost control.

If Kate is what she says,why has NO ONE from her past spoken up for her? Not one friend or family member defends her. That is very telling.

Posted by: dtharman | November 3, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I didn't watch and categorically refuse to do so. Both of them disgust me and my pity for the kids only increases with time.

Posted by: DCCubefarm | November 3, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Same here. However, I would like to say to Kate: the prudent time is now. Go AWAY. Being raised in the spotlight by fame wh*res who snipe publicly at each other may not fit her definition of "harm's way", but it's not in the kids' best interest either.

Posted by: Californian11 | November 3, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

When asked if Kate thought the show "did this to her" (brought about the end of her marriage), Kate said she didn't think so, that their marriage would have ended sooner under the strain of trying to raise 8 children on a moderate income.

I thought that was the most truthful thing Kate said all evening. The show quickly became a paycheck to them both, and I don't think either of them know how to live without TLC doling out the cash.

Jon will have a rude awakening when his 15-minutes of fame expire. Kate will find herself in a terrible place as she tries to raise 8 wonderful kids without the mansion, the unseen nannies & bodyguards, and living from hand-to-mouth as most families with multiple children live.

I feel bad for their children. I wish they could be taken in by family or relatives that actually care about their welfare & upbringing. Jon is an idiot and Kate is clinging tenaciously to fame (& paid speaking engagements) for as long as she can. TLC pulling the plug will be the biggest dose of reality this family has seen since Kate's pregnancy.

Posted by: DisposablePet | November 3, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Kate because you didn't step away when it was prudent you never can step away now??? What a lesson to teach those children you claim to love so much.

Yeah, I wonder where all the friends figured out they can cash in your litter.

Typical control "victim." Everything is everyone else's fault.

Posted by: epjd | November 3, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

I've had more than enough of Kate! Has she been evaluated for mental stability? I would go so far as to bet she has a version of Munchausen Syndrome. If she begins to lose all this attention, she may take to harming the children. Just a thought...

Posted by: ejolly1 | November 3, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Is everyone in tv land so cynical and judgemental? Or could it be jealousy over their success, and dissapproval over an interacial marriage.I think people need to ask themselves these questions. I have watched this show since its inception, way back to when Id ask people if they knew about the show, and nobody did. They have my sympathy, no one would like to be put in their position, it is hard privately and publically, Insincerity? Publicity seekers? Egotists? Ive never picked up on that...at all.Come on people, realize the media spin, and dont be so quick to hate. I think the question is, would you handle the situation any better? Seriously, and why are some people so quick to victimize strangers.Leave them alone,,on tv or not. Its not cool.

Posted by: nberk9 | November 3, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I find TLC's entire line up these days rather suspect. TLC used to mean 'The Learning Channel' and it used to have how-to shows. Shows like "Trading Spaces" and "What Not to Wear" are how-to in a more entertaining format.

Rabbi Schmuley Boteach's "Shalom in the Home" and Lisa Hark's "Honey, We're Killing the Kids!" were very pertinent and informative.

But now, it's become an entire network of shows based on "exceptional people." People with big families, short statures, weird ailments, bizarre hobbies and interests and counter culture occupations.

I guess a season or two of watching people explain the details of their memorial tattoo or seeing brides ruminate over their wedding dress provides some entertainment interest. But when we get season after season of the same family as it grows from 17 to 23 or go through 4 years of watching parents enter their tots in beauty contests, it's a bit much.

At this point, nothing distinguishes TLC from the Fox Reality Network. It's a freak show parade.

Posted by: mdreader01 | November 3, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mdreader01 | November 3, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

What are the average IQ levels for the TLC fans?

Posted by: jezebel3 | November 3, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

What are the average IQ levels for the TLC fans?

Posted by: jezebel3 | November 3, 2009 12:38 PM

Before or after 5 seasons of "Jon & Kate plus Eight"? ...I used to be Mensa, now I'm spooning Cheerios out of the same cereal bowl as the Gosselin herd.

Posted by: DisposablePet | November 3, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Here is my Question- Why is no one asking her to comment on her spanking her kid? Mom- that so many look up too? When we know through reasearch that hitting decreases IQs!!! The Today show (NBC!)did a whole series on this report. Saving for college...no one should question your parenting...!!!
J&K are both self indulgent semi-adults- who are not at all sophisticated & quite frankly idiots!!! Kate- you are so wonderful & loyal & perfect- Where are your friends? Your family? Small circle...you've had 30-some years. why haven't you built relationships?
I FEEL SO BADLY FOR THESE KIDS & THE AMERICAN PUBLIC SHOULD FEEL ASHAMED!
I used to love Natalie- OFF HER NOW- how could she or NBC attach themselves to this low-life crap?

Posted by: Rbm112 | November 3, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

When we know through reasearch that hitting decreases IQs!!!

Posted by: Rbm112 | November 3, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

"reasearch"! LOL!!

Posted by: jezebel3 | November 3, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I used to love Natalie- OFF HER NOW...

Posted by: Rbm112 | November 3, 2009 12:50 PM

I still love Natalie, but now I just watch her with the sound off. You get off on her too? :)

Posted by: DisposablePet | November 3, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I was gonna say it was not quite a BKD day, then I kept reading. Wow.

Posted by: epjd | November 3, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Won't somebody please think of the children!!!!

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | November 3, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I echo the comments thanking Liz for taking one for the team. Although I am fully recovered from swine flu, watching Kate last night would have brought the nausea back in a hurry.

Maybe she can get an endorcement deal with Kleenex?

Posted by: sarahbonnie1 | November 3, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I have six kids myself, my husband is a restaurant manager and I stay at home. We do not have enough space, I complain because my kitchen it too crammed and we could use another bathroom but we manage. I used to admire Kate for her organizational skills and I really am not jealous of their wealth, hey more power to them I hope to strike it rich someday, why not? I agree Jon acts like an immature child, smoking, partying, dating girls who are way too young, all of that is stupid but in the same respect Kate does not have it bad at all. She has 8 healthy children, her family is alive and well so she could mend fences if she wanted to, she has household help, nannies, time to herself, a nice home, and financial freedom. Divorce is hard but it's alot harder for the average joe who can't pay their attorney and the single mom who can't pay for daycare but must return to work. Kate may have photogs following her around but other than that, big deal, boo hoo, she needs to grow up and get on with raising her kids out of the spotlight and she doesn't have to buy all her kids matching boutique clothes, consignment stores have nice stuff for crying out loud and quit dressing them alike anyway they are not babies anymore.

Posted by: katherine9 | November 3, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

and blah.

Posted by: katherine9 | November 3, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jezebel3 | November 3, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Kate- STOP spreading your legs....

Posted by: Muggle2 | November 3, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

It is so amazing to me that people will say Kate planned all of this, that she abuses her children by putting them on TV, and that she is generally a bad/evil person. We all make mistakes as parents, spouses, and people. Although, I don't think that being in the public eye had a positive impact on Jon and Kate's marriage, Kate has the right to provide for her family in any legal way she thinks is appropriate. She clearly stated she loved the show in part because she was able to work AND be with her kids at the same time...what parent who longs to be with her/his children would turn that down? She made the most of the opportunities she was given and has tried to capitalize on her fame...I am sorry, but isn't that just good business sense? Don't celebrities routinely sell the pictures of their newborn children for a great deal more money? I don't see anyone screaming about that practice. At least these people really needed the income. As for the claims that she is manipulative and calculating, could it be that she is trying to present herself and her children in the best light? Isn't that what we all do in public anyway? How anyone can claim she planned it all is beyond me! I don't know too many people who can predict the future, but predicting the birth of healthy sextuplets, followed by TV fame, a marriage falling apart, and a media circus would really take some doing!! I can understand people wondering why she's famous (or infamous at this point), but that is not a crime...it is not as if she forced anyone to watch or buy magazines. In the end what matters is that the kids are provided for and that they are safe...I believe she is doing her best for her children.

Posted by: ForGodsSake | November 3, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Jezebel. Also don't think anybody said Kate was evil, just selfish and that she feels sorry for herself when other people actually do have it bad unlike her who does not.

Posted by: katherine9 | November 3, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Time to change the laws for on-screen time for kids in reality shows.

Balloon Boy, plus 8.

Nuff said.

Posted by: Roxie1 | November 3, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: katherine9 | November 3, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

"unlike her who does not"???

Posted by: jezebel3 | November 3, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Friends, family, and co-workers are boycotting TLC. They stand more for "Torture Little Children" and should end all ties with the family. Giving pathtic Kate a forum to play the victim is not working.

Posted by: ConcernedParent-TX | November 3, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

During the 70's, we used to torture our friends with slideshows of vacations and family get-togethers.

During the 80's, we used to torture our friends with home movies of vacations and family get-togethers.

During the 00's, we now torture ourselves and our friends with "reality TV" shows of impossible vacations and dysfunctional families.

Posted by: DisposablePet | November 3, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ConcernedParent-TX | November 3, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

"pathtic"?

Posted by: jezebel3 | November 3, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: katherine9 | November 3, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

"unlike her who does not"???

Kate does not have it bad. Meaning does not have a rough life, does not need to be crying, etc...

Posted by: katherine9 | November 3, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I hate when they go 60 minutes and dont ask the one question everyone wants to hear...

"Kate - how long will it be until you're building giant mylar balloons for your kids in the back yard"

She's pathetic... she will never truly reflect on that because she couldn't stomach it - so instead she peddles her insipid apologist crap for yet another paycheck - and we consumers eat it up because it's what we want to see. People who make heroes out of these monsters should take some responsibility for the detritus of those children's lives... good job.

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | November 3, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Give me a break Jezebel now you are going to go after people's obvious typos. Pathetic.

Posted by: katherine9 | November 3, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: katherine9 | November 3, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

LOL!!! Where do these bozos come from?

Posted by: jezebel3 | November 3, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

The show was fine until all these sponsors started throwing money at the family and Jon and Kate gladly accepted every single frickin' one of them.

And then Kate started alienating her own family members and demanding they not be paid for being on the show because it was All. About. Her.

Suddenly poor widdle Kate is all awone and surprised the world hates her. Please.

I don't think Jon is all that either, but it takes two to make a marriage and they (more her than him) somehow forgot that along the way.

Sure, having kids changes things, but marriage and childrearing require an equal, collaborative partnership.

Nurse Kate forgot while she was too busy signing autographs, writing books, giving speeches and co-hosting "The View."

Jon Boy forgot about that while he was dating 22-year-olds, partying in Vegas, and saying, "Alas, Another diaper! I have LOST my MASCULINITY!" STFU.

Some call it needless Gosselin bashing. I call it karma.

When will it occur to those two that at some point in time their kids will be able to read all the sh*tty things their mom has said about their dad and vice versa thanks to the magic of the internet?

Stop the madness, you idiots. Bank the income from the show -- surely it's enough to give you enough money to support yourselves and those eight children -- end the show / book / TV appearances, go back into private life and for the first time in months, do something more for your kids than for yourselves.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | November 3, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: katherine9 | November 3, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

LOL!!! Where do these bozos come from?

I don't know, where are you from? hehehe

Posted by: katherine9 | November 3, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

The bats are out today. . . . obviously a full moon.

Posted by: 7900rmc | November 3, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Jez, if you can't think of something snarky to say on the topic, don't say anything at all. Picking on typos in a freaking blog is just sad.

Posted by: epjd | November 3, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

jon gosselin just needs to go see "a serious man."

the old rabbi in that movie will get him sorted out.

of course kate's worried about how the kids are coping.... they could form their own SAG chapter and haul mom in front of the NLRB.

Then who'd pay her hairdresser that $9.99 every week?

Posted by: dablues1 | November 3, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Hey, this blog is for picking on celebrities, not each other! Let's take a breath and get back to our regularly scheduled snark.

Note to the Gosselins: as I once heard a judge say to a feuding couple in his courtroom, there's nothing here that can't be resolved by you both growing up a little!

Posted by: Californian11 | November 3, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Kate on why it's too late to give up her public life and allow her kids some privacy: "We're too far gone. Stepping out of the spotlight when it’s prudent to do so is a good thing."

"Mrs. Gosselin, the kids have something to tell you...they've decided, as a family, to move in with J.D. Salinger."

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | November 3, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Disposable Pet gets my award for post of the day. If only I could get that on a tee-shirt somehow...

Posted by: mdreader01 | November 3, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I just couldn't help commenting on Kate's sentiment that "she just can't fail" Could she enlighten as to what she has had success with. Estranged from husband, parents and siblings. Does anyone see a pattern here. This women just can't have a successful relationship. That is typical of narcisists. I still get sick to my stomach over the image of her drinking water in front of her child who had asked for a drink and she continued to withhold it. That is abusive and a very toxic way to parent. I am not optomistic for these kids and their wellbeing. I sure hope someone is watching!

Posted by: hps14 | November 3, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

BKD!!!! Weee--haaaaa!

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | November 3, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

BKD!!!! Weee--haaaaa!

Posted by: sorcerers_cat
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Get inside, Maw! Snark's a'comin!
/frantically herds chickens into shed

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | November 3, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

This is entirely a PR stunt. The "break-up" of the marriage will last through the holidays and then by Valentine's Day Kate will take Jon back -- just in time for some kind of health scare involving someone. Then there will be other scandals until the older twins are ready to reveal how upset they are for getting the least amount of television time and will turn to the Olson twins -- or their rabbi -- for help. Does anyone with a brain actually think this is real???

Posted by: KatieB9056 | November 3, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if it is real or not but it's prety obvious the show needs to go because all it is now is a commercial. It used to be a cute show about the stress of having so many little ones and how the parents had very different personalities. Now that the children are older and easier to handle it's pretty boring just watching people go on vacations, I would rather see my own kids on vacation videos than stranger's kids. Plus when the camping show was on there was a Coleman tent commercial, when the girls were helping unload the dishwasher there were the Cascade gel pacs on the counter, the list goes on and on, boring commercial is all the show is so whether the kids are being exploited isn't the only reason the show needs to end, it needs to end because it's just strangers vacation videos with a bunch of product placements.

Posted by: katherine9 | November 3, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

"How anyone can claim she planned it all is beyond me! I don't know too many people who can predict the future, but predicting the birth of healthy sextuplets..."
-ForGodsSake

Well, when you put that many embryos in your uterus, and refuse to reduce, there's a good possibility. She was selfish when she made this decision, and she's selfish for not giving up the house and the show.

Additionally, the developmental disabilities (a result of carrying too many fetuses) that these kids could suffer from that aren't highlighted in the show will affect them for the rest of their lives.

Posted by: MzFitz | November 3, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

MzFitz-You've just betrayed how little you know. Kate Gosselin did not have IVF. She had IUI-intrauterine insemination after fertility drugs stimulate ovulation because she had Polycystic Ovary Syndrome and couldn't ovulate naturally. There are medical authorities who urge insurance companies to support IVF BECAUSE, while it's more expensive, it's more controllable than IUI so risky high order multiples are unlikely if guidelines are followed. Many opt for IUI rather than IVF because of IVF's expense.

One thing on which pro- and anti-choice forces agree is that no woman should be forced to undergo an abortion against her will. Use a euphemism, but that's what selective reduction is. I suspect a lot people faced with the reality of a high order multiple pregnancy cannot bring themselves to choice with fetuses to eliminate.

Posted by: Harrisburg1 | November 4, 2009 7:48 AM | Report abuse

Definition of Narcissistic Personality Disorder:

A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:

1. has a grandiose sense of self-importance
2. is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty or ideal love (megalomania)
3. believes they are "special" and can only be understood by, or should associate with, people (or institutions) who are also "special" or of high status
4. requires excessive admiration
5. has a sense of entitlement
6. is interpersonally exploitative
7. lacks empathy
8. is often envious of others or believes others are envious of him or her
9. shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

Yep.

Posted by: sarahbonnie1 | November 4, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Just yesterday my daughter and I had a huge discussion on Jon and Kate. She is 22 and pro Kate while I am 61 and sick to death of both of them.
While watching the Morales interview, my daughter did have a valid point when she said Jon and Kate were made for each other.
They are two peas in a pod. Both of them are immature,narcissistic,grandiose, sniveling, hateful individuals without a clue as to what marriage and parenting consists of. Indeed they belong together.
Kate was "on" for this interview. She was showing the powers that be that she can be an actress. It was her first real audition.
My parents raised eight children and my mom was a stay at home mother while my father supported us by being a salesman.
None of us had college trust funds, brand name wardrobes, a big home to grow up in, every toy imaginable and we did not get to see the world like her kids do. We all grew up to be responsible, loving, very grateful adults who believe in giving back to the world and not just taking from it.
What we do have is a lifetime full of warm memories, the ability to adapt to any situation, a moral compass, a great sense of humor, and the knowledge that we were loved. These are the things that money can't buy and no one can take away from us.
TLC needs to let go of this train wreck and focus it's energies on "18 Kids and Counting" and the new one "Table for 12" which are uplifting and positive.

Posted by: mariebernadette1948 | November 5, 2009 8:06 AM | Report abuse

Ya know I can not believe I watched this interview, but I thought if Natalie Morales and NBC were doing it, that maybe just maybe they were going to ask real questions to Kate. Well that did not happen and NBC looks like more of a fool. I did take note of something though and I am upset that it was not questioned by alot of people on this or any other comment board. When asked if Kate still attended church Kate said she did not she has not been to church because she just could not bring herself to do it because there would just be 9 of them. Well America why don't you go back and look at Kates schedule of her appearences, book sighnings and such (Kate was hardly ever home on weekends). it's not that she couldn't go to church it's that she did not want to because her career was more important. What really bugs me is that she and Jon used to play up how important church was to them and especially with the divorce and everything else, I think being at church or in Sunday school would help the kids a little with what they are going through. In closing, I am sorry to say Kate is for Kate and she is rolling the dice with her kids emotional stability!!!

Posted by: ajmaxmom | November 5, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse