Posted at 12:20 PM ET, 11/ 6/2009

Confessions of a Twitter dupe

By Liz Kelly

So it turns out that sometimes something that seems too good to be true may, after all, be too good to be true. And that despite the fact that celebs -- from A-listers to utter has-beens -- have taken to Twitter, it isn't for everyone.

I write the above because it turns out that one Levi Johnston -- who you may remember as Bristol Palin's baby daddy -- is not on Twitter. One Tweeter who has been going by the handle of LeviJohnston05 for the past several weeks is apparently -- according to Johnston's agent -- not actually Levi Johnston.

(Screengrab by Liz Kelly for washingtonpost.com)

Which, for me and Conan O'Brien (among others), is unfortunate since we both chose to pull tweets from the LeviJohnston05 and have a bit of fun with them. I included a couple of (what I thought were) Johnston's reflections in this week's Twits episode (they've since been excised).

Our policy has been to use Tweets from Twitter- or celebrity-verified accounts; this one fell through the cracks. Moving forward, I’ll be double-checking to make sure these accounts are legit. As for the perpetrator of the LeviJohnston05 fake, I'd love a few words (actually 140 characters) with you.

By Liz Kelly  | November 6, 2009; 12:20 PM ET
Categories:  Twits Video
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Oprah headed to cable?; Sharon Osbourne slams Susan Boyle
Next: Tom Cruise. Scientology. Need I say more?

Comments

Don't worry about it Liz. The fake one was probably funnier and more intelligent than the real one anyway.

Although, that does raise the question. If you are going to fake a celebritological type twitter account why choose LEVI JOHNSTON?????

Posted by: epjd | November 6, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

This will be interesting if the faker turns out to be in any way connected with the Palins. Otherwise it's just really sad - Ep is right, why pirate Levi Johnston of all people?

Posted by: northgs | November 6, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I understand why you took the Levi peices off, but damn those were the funniest bits. At least I still have my Chedda.

Posted by: DCCubefarm | November 6, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

The '05' should have been a clue. Levi is dumb, but not THAT dumb.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 6, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse